Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has anyone been playing this with the Grimarillion mod? I'm appreciating the fact that it makes Normal Veteran challenging but I'm starting to wonder if that means I'm just gonna get assblasted on the higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Super helpful, thanks. Could you post your gear? I'll suck you

Gonna need some pics first.

Head/Chest/Shoulders/Shield/Amulet: Markovian's Fortress set
Hands: Grasp of Unchained Might or Colossal Grasp
Waist: Reforged Chains of Oleron or Hammerfall Girdle or Stoneskin Girdle
Legs: Chausses of Barbaros
Feet: Golemborn Greaves
Medal: Markovian's Stratagem

Keep in mind I'm not fully geared yet. For rings I'm thinking Ring of the Black Matriarch and maybe something defensive for the other one. Currently Goliath Signet and Lifegiver Signet.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has anyone been playing this with the Grimarillion mod? I'm appreciating the fact that it makes Normal Veteran challenging but I'm starting to wonder if that means I'm just gonna get assblasted on the higher difficulties.

I've been playing a little but I'm getting really frustrated that their idea of challenge is "drop (sometimes literally) 8 heroes on you all at the same time, with 5 identical copies of the same super-unique boss, oh and by the way the extra copies don't drop loot because gently caress you". There's an alternate version of the mod which is supposed to balance based on stats rather than quantity but it doesn't work for me, all I get is the stupid tooltips.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

credburn posted:

Ah, I dunno. I'd say I'd like to participate in a Grim Dawn thread that doesn't include min-maxing and character builds and damage per second comparisons, but I feel like I would be the only shmuck posting there.

:shrug:

We just play the game differently, I guess. I'm not trying to, uh...my way isn't the "right" way to play. I'm not meaning to say anything like that. I'm just speaking from a personal perspective, the way you guys play this game, I just don't get. I have a lot of fun with this, and roguelikes, and games of that ilk, but I guess I kind of approach it from a perspective that I'm discovering is not a very common one. Which is maybe why I generally beat these games once through and call it quits, whereas others are still playing Diablo 2.

Didn't mean to offend! :V
I mean, you can post about other poo poo in the game besides builds and whatnot; no one's gonna get pissed off if you want to bullshit about lore or whatever. The lore is fun, if it wasn't I'd have gone for a refund after act 1.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the way [we] play the game" though. I can't speak for anyone else, but when I make a new character I generally start off with a concept, like "I want to use Vortex of Souls" or "I want be the fastest melee character possible" or whatever. Then I do a couple quick searches and see if anyone else has done a build like that before so I can get their thoughts on it, because there's no sense reinventing the wheel from stone if it's already been refined to steel-belted radials. If they haven't, then I'll tool around with it myself a bit and see where I end up. Then when I get home from work I typically have a working idea of what I'll be able to do and what gear I need to make it work. Then when I'm playing, I see what works and what doesn't and change plans as needed from there.

I don't know what you mean by "approach it from a perspective that I'm discovering"; whether you're implying that we're not exploring the game world and looking for cool poo poo or if you're under the impression that we know all there is to know about the game (and thus all that's left is ultimate optimization), they'd both be wrong ideas. It almost feels like you're working under the idea that you can't have fun and make a good character, which is as silly here as it is in tradgames.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

credburn posted:

Ah, I dunno. I'd say I'd like to participate in a Grim Dawn thread that doesn't include min-maxing and character builds and damage per second comparisons, but I feel like I would be the only shmuck posting there.

Speaking of, I haven't had a ton of time to play but my non-optimal Druid is progressing. I started out putting 20 points in Spirit because I wanted to try to buck the trend of 'everything in Physique' and try to make an actual Spirit-based caster. I ended up taking a break from that and am going to put 20 points total into Physique so that I'll have enough to equip the Trozan shoulders without having to juggle gear (20 in Physique with maxed Arcanist and Shaman masteries gets me to 510 Physique, the mantle requires 509).

The only offensive abilities I use are Trozan's Sky Shard and Wind Devils, but honestly at this point the character is more about the WDs than the shards. Wind Devils just tear poo poo up. I only deploy TSS for champions/bosses and the occasional straggler that dodged past the WDs and I don't want to summon another. After looking at the devotion procs I think Elemental Storm (from Rhowan's Crown) will be nutso with Wind Devils - 25% to proc per attack on a 1.5 second cooldown (can probably get that below a second with Star Pact and gear later, I bet) - the one time I pulled all my devotion points out to try it 'early' my devils were covering the screen in pink lightning patches. Sure the proc has the same 'type' of resistance debuff as Maelstrom, so they don't stack, but that just means that I'll end up with stationary spots that debuff resistance in addition to roving WDs that debuff it.

I really want to put Elemental Seeker (from Blind Sage) on TSS, but it's a big purple/green investment to get there and I would probably have to give up Tree of Life.

Also it's really easy to plan out a gear setup including the Trozan's Ascension set that gives +10 Star Pact and +7 or more to all the TSS skills (WD ends up in the +5-6 range with some +Shaman).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

Yesterday I playtested my new Time Dilation caster build on Gladiator Crucible. It may be one of my strongest builds yet. Having a maxed Nullification is really nice too. Although the Agrivix set is fun, it doesn't work as well with the build as a 4-piece Iskandra's.

I gotta ask... do you just create these characters using the editor? Or do you actually level them up from level 1?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

enraged_camel posted:

I gotta ask... do you just create these characters using the editor? Or do you actually level them up from level 1?

I've leveled 3 characters up to max level legitimately. For this sort of stuff, I just use the trainer to duplicate my characters (by changing their name) and reset their attributes and skills. One of my favorite aspect about these games is coming up with build concepts, so I still find it fun. My playing is mostly testing a concept out in Crucible.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm just about to hit 50 with my Arcanist. (No second class yet.) I've been using Aether Ray so far but I'm not clear on whether it's viable at higher levels, and even if it is, it's not the most thrilling play style. I'm looking for suggestions on solid Arcanist/X builds that I can play 50-85 that aren't going to require grinding gear. I checked out the link in the op but without knowing which of those are good and which aren't, I'm unwilling to commit to anything.

I'd like to keep using Devastation, as I've found it quite useful, and I'm geared for aether damage, so not having to undo that entirely would be ideal but it's not critical.

What are some fun/effective builds?

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm just about to hit 50 with my Arcanist. (No second class yet.) I've been using Aether Ray so far but I'm not clear on whether it's viable at higher levels, and even if it is, it's not the most thrilling play style. I'm looking for suggestions on solid Arcanist/X builds that I can play 50-85 that aren't going to require grinding gear. I checked out the link in the op but without knowing which of those are good and which aren't, I'm unwilling to commit to anything.

I'd like to keep using Devastation, as I've found it quite useful, and I'm geared for aether damage, so not having to undo that entirely would be ideal but it's not critical.

This is a fun+effective build http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46329

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
After owning this for a while and playing bits of it here and there I think I'm ready to take a shot at the whole thing. Please recommend me a caster build that requires hitting lots of different buttons often to succeed.
Also I noticed the game seems a lot easier now compared to the various betas so I installed Grimmer Grimmest but do any mods restore the lightning eyeballs leading their shots on you? I always thought that was fun and was sad to see it go.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sorry to be a pain, but do you have one that doesn't pair with demolitionist? That's the only class of the one other character I made.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

Also I noticed the game seems a lot easier now compared to the various betas so I installed Grimmer Grimmest but do any mods restore the lightning eyeballs leading their shots on you? I always thought that was fun and was sad to see it go.

I think they already do. If you mean homing missiles though, I dunno.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I think they already do. If you mean homing missiles though, I dunno.

No they just used to have freakishly good aim. It's not that big a deal

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You're kinda SOL because no other class has Aether damage than Arcanist currently (likely to change in the coming expansion).

Either you pair the fire components of Devastation and Aether Ray with some Demo stuff, or you run Occultist, but that generally requires legendaries (Albrecht Rings or the Blood-tome) for damage-type conversion if you want to run Devastation and/or Aether Ray

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

No they just used to have freakishly good aim. It's not that big a deal

Maybe it's a matter of the difficulty level you play in. They lead their shots really well now in Veteran and up. I don't know how it could be any better algorithmically.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I just got a Vortex of Souls and I kinda wanna build around it. Anyone have some good suggestions for build/gear? I was thinking druid, using primal strike and just ignoring the aether damage on it for IEE/Star Pact fun times but beyond that I'm a little at a loss.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I just got a Vortex of Souls and I kinda wanna build around it. Anyone have some good suggestions for build/gear? I was thinking druid, using primal strike and just ignoring the aether damage on it for IEE/Star Pact fun times but beyond that I'm a little at a loss.

Primal Strike Shaman in the way to go with that. Second mastery can be a few different things, but IMO Arcanist (so, Druid) works well as a 'support' mastery choice, you're gonna be pumping a lot into Primal Strike so you can pick up Arcanist for stuff like Maiven's and Nullification which are relatively low point cost.

For extra hilariousness put a proc like the Rhowan's Crown or Blind Sage ones on Primal Strike. You're basically hitting the entire screen anyway.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

WarLocke posted:

Primal Strike Shaman in the way to go with that. Second mastery can be a few different things, but IMO Arcanist (so, Druid) works well as a 'support' mastery choice, you're gonna be pumping a lot into Primal Strike so you can pick up Arcanist for stuff like Maiven's and Nullification which are relatively low point cost.

For extra hilariousness put a proc like the Rhowan's Crown or Blind Sage ones on Primal Strike. You're basically hitting the entire screen anyway.
Yeah, I might actually get something like Wendigo (something that has no cooldown so I can hit the whole screen) and just go to town.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Wendigo and... aetherfire (? the proc in the Imp constellation IIRC) are the only procs that have no cooldown AFAIK; it's too bad that neither one really synergizes with a lightning-damage character.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Bat, Fiend, Solael's Witchblade, and Anvil all lack a cooldown as well, so there's plenty of options. I could do some kind of weird lightning/vitality/bleed build maybe? I'm just spitballing at work here so this probably sucks, but something like this might be okay. With 4/5 Ultos set for a bucket of +shaman and +primal strike bonuses. Maybe Dahbadu could test it out sometime and let us know how bad I am at theorycrafting. :v:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

If I always play a melee dude in all games, what's the goodest class?

Also are there goons to play with?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
My biased option: Sorcerer. Running around with Callidor's Tempest is stupid fun.

There are goons to play with, check the discord and you'll find some number of people to play with.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Does anyone have any opinions on this game vs. Path of Exile? They seem to be the top 2 Diablo-likes at the moment, not counting the excellent Eastern Sun. Hell I might just say gently caress it and go with Eastern Sun. This is an unprecedented amount of choice for the ARPG genre!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I'd argue PoE is a better game from a pure gameplay perspective, with all sorts of craziness enabled by the combination of the skill linking system and unique items that do far more than "+x% to damage type." The sphere grid thing is a completionist's wet dream, with a million decisions to make every level.

That said, if you're a busy adult like me, you don't have the time to slowly level your skill gems and grind out enough currency to buy the 5-links a proper endgame build needs, let alone the luxury stuff for the really fun builds. Grim Dawn is simpler, faster and easier, that's to its benefit imho. You can beat most content by pumping a skill that looks cool and grabbing matching gear, or you can theorycraft like we do in this thread and dump all over all but the most difficult content. Plus, since it's largely single player you can cheat like hell when it feels too grindy. PoE is the better game, but Grim Dawn is what I see myself coming back to in the future. I haven't played PoE in over a year, and probably never will again due to the sheer amount of effort needed to get to the endgame, which will then be reset in a few months when the leagues reset.

That that said, gently caress you for showing me the Eastern Sun server is back just when I need a big dose of escapism. That game is the sirens calling to drown my free time.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 18, 2016

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Does anyone have any opinions on this game vs. Path of Exile? They seem to be the top 2 Diablo-likes at the moment, not counting the excellent Eastern Sun. Hell I might just say gently caress it and go with Eastern Sun. This is an unprecedented amount of choice for the ARPG genre!

POE is much more of an online game than Grim Dawn is. It's fun in a different way. I'm not a huge fan of the randomness and time-sink of the socket and gem system, though. But the economy is very much a throwback to D2 where the prices of things are set by the players and you have to deal with shitlords who always try to under sell or overprice you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

POE's trade has gotten better recently too

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

POE's trade has gotten better recently too

My main issue is the game drops are balanced around an online market so you're unlikely to get anything good. I just don't have that kind of time anymore to dump into one game. I enjoy finishing builds and it seems highly unlikely I'll ever be able to finish a build in that game not labeled as "starter" or "cheap"

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I agree with much of what's been said about PoE, both positive and negative. I think it's an excellent game, and like Crate, I'm a huge fan of GGG.

I think GD strikes a healthy middle ground, between evolutionary and traditional progression. Although there's benefits to GD being an offline game, if it was a server-side MMO like PoE or D3, you'd probably seen a huge goon following and this thread would x10 the traffic.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any recommendations to fix stuttering? My PC should max this poo poo out no problem and it still stutters even when i turn stuff way down. Is it just that poorly optimized?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I had to guess it would be something to do with Vsync, possibly a setting in your Nvidia Control Panel. Any time I have a weird unexplainable performance issue its usually something to do with the Nvidia Control Panel settings. My card isn't fancy enough to have GSync but I'm always seeing people report that they fix stuttering in various games by disabling it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GD is definitely more polished, but updates are too slow and there's not that much content.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I've been thinking: would a bleed build based around Grasping Vines be usable at all?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Justin_Brett posted:

I've been thinking: would a bleed build based around Grasping Vines be usable at all?

Yes, bind rend to it, Kill everything.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

If I had to guess it would be something to do with Vsync, possibly a setting in your Nvidia Control Panel. Any time I have a weird unexplainable performance issue its usually something to do with the Nvidia Control Panel settings. My card isn't fancy enough to have GSync but I'm always seeing people report that they fix stuttering in various games by disabling it.

I turned that off, dropped everything to the absolute min settings and it's still happening. Avg frames seemed to have increased but it still drops and stutters. It's definitely worse since I switched builds (2H primal strike, lightning all over the screen).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 20, 2016

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Larrymer posted:

Any recommendations to fix stuttering? My PC should max this poo poo out no problem and it still stutters even when i turn stuff way down. Is it just that poorly optimized?
GD sucks at utilizing multiple cores. I use Process Lasso to force it to use only cores 1&3 and it helps a lot. People have been begging them to optimize the game for a while now; here's hoping they do it soon.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So are there any changes to the base game in the past few months? I see there is a DLC thing but I am not sure if I want to buy that.

Hippyflip
Mar 21, 2014
Hey im just wondering are the builds posted on the first page still up to par?
or are there better ones now?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

soscannonballs posted:

So are there any changes to the base game in the past few months? I see there is a DLC thing but I am not sure if I want to buy that.

They added a few legendaries but everything is the same otherwise.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I've been having an annoying persistent issue. Sometimes the game freezes for a bit, then comes back with nothing but my cursor on a black screen. I still have sound, the game still responds to my controls, there's just a slight issue with being able to see anything at all. Hitting alt+enter to change the windowed mode fixes it until it happens again. It happens pretty much at random - it might be related to stuff on screen except I've had it happen while walking to Devil's Crossing after starting the game, multiple times on shop screens, on the devotion menu etc etc. Sometimes the game runs fine for hours, sometimes it happens multiple times in a minute.

Things that haven't worked: any combination of graphical settings, putting the game in windowed/borderless/fullscreen, reinstalling, verifying files, updating drivers, limiting core use, manually installing all the c+ stuff etc and limiting background processes. It's not a heat issue. Googling shows me a few people with the same issue but no solutions. I'd assume it was a hardware issue but I haven't had this happen with any other game. I've seen people report problems with NVIDIA cards but I don't have one.

It's not usually super frequent and it's easily recoverable so usually I'm too lazy to make a post but it's really starting to grate on me. Occasionally I lose significant amounts of seconds which got me killed once in the conflagration and lost me a few crucible multipliers and it's just not really fun to have the game uncontrollably pause at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippyflip
Mar 21, 2014
Hey i was just wondering if somone could post me a easey build for a first time hardcore play