Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Battle Royale Baby posted:

I'm going to say this again: the issue was not "big data". Mook and Podesta never even bothered to check whether the analytics they were creating had any basis in reality.

They should have had strong benchmarks to check on progress, not figure out there are massive problems after MONTHS of campaigning.

Lol nothing matters

the check was public polling and private internals from public polling. like if they had internals for PA saying C+8 and PPP or Qpac were saying T+2, yeah it'd be really easy to blame them. Nobody was sitting around reading bill Mitchell and yelling "we need to get ground game into people's hearts!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Grondoth posted:

It was unfathomable arrogance

B..but..it was her turn!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Reminder

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/800152687471771648

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
gently caress!

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Politics sucks but it ain't gonna get any better unless non-sucky people are involved

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol didn't matty yglesias study classics too

why do all these "wonks" have no actual training in appropriate disciplines

because they get jobs for saying what people want them to say and not because they have any idea what the gently caress they're talking about

also god forbid you actually do have training in an appropriate discipline and are forced to work with those fuckers

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol didn't matty yglesias study classics too

philosophy iirc

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

francis fukuyama studied under derrida, didn't like him, and managed to become an even bigger joke, eventually coming to be interviewed by ezra klein this year. the circle is complete.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Not a Step posted:

Inflation is actually good though friend. Inflation increases the cost of holding money and makes investment more attractive. Companies routinely sit on cash stockpiles because they don't know what to do with it and there's no real downside to holding cash, or maybe treasury bonds. Higher inflation would drive investment (or flight, I guess, but there aren't a whole lot of major investment opportunities elsewhere right now, and even with all the turmoil the American dollar is still the safest currency on Earth, well, unless lol Trump) of corporate America's liquid holdings. That was one of the weak points of QE: It doesnt matter how much liquid cash you pump into the market if no one is interested in making new investments with it. Inflation is also good for debtors because they can pay back debts with inflated money, so it helps reduce the effective interest rate for *currently existing* loans. New loans (or variable rate loans) will have the current rate of inflation priced in, causing bigger numbers that work out to basically the same rate as now. The Fed has spent too long overfocusing on keeping inflation down, probably because the Fed is driven more by concerns for Wall Street than anything else. *Some* inflation is actually good and necessary for an economic system! *No* inflation in a system leads to hiding money under your mattress being one of the safest things you can do, which in turn leads to a breakdown of the fractional reserve system that underpins basically all of modern everything.

Oh yeah I get that inflation is good for investment, especially good for debtors, and frustrating for creditors. My concern about inflation was only regarding a static increase in the min wage, which, if they know or plan for inflation to occur, the republicans may push for as a "win" for Trump's presidency, only to see the increase in wage wiped out by the coming inflation.

Inflation will be great for millennials with student loan debt, IF their wages increase with it. I'll note that the banks have spent the last eight years foreclosing on people's home and hoarding them, so they might just be ready to pull that trigger.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Like bringing a new perspective to a field can be good

Yglesias's article that the US government has weaker institutions than many think and may face a constitutional crisis very soon was a hot take against the grain. I liked it tho and in retrospect it seems sort of prophetic

How the gently caress he became known, like mook, as a numbers guy is weird. Like, from what I remember of 2008 retrospectives is that mook ran a disciplined campaign that kept good track of its progress. Which is great, but doesn't make him an expert involving anything with a spreadsheet

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Yglesias was also one of the guys saying the Dems are hosed if they can't get any down ballot victories over a year ago.

He's more wrong than right and he can be insufferable though.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yglesias is fine. Mook can kiss my rear end

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

the check was public polling and private internals from public polling. like if they had internals for PA saying C+8 and PPP or Qpac were saying T+2, yeah it'd be really easy to blame them. Nobody was sitting around reading bill Mitchell and yelling "we need to get ground game into people's hearts!!!"

The check should have been "if polling was X and if we did Y effort, we should have Z".

Target can loving determine by shopping habits if someone is preggers or not. You can have supremely effective fraud analytics on cc purchases happening on a scale of hundreds to thousands of times per second.

But a loving guy literally named Mook somehow sets up a system that promotes voting to the wrong kind of people that he wants and he gets a pass because of bad data that he utilized.

It's him. He hosed up SO loving BAD he literally has hosed over data analytics for Democrats for the next election cycle at least

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People who have degrees may have been competent to handle unreasonable work loads, but specialization in winning national elections should have been a much bigger factor when trying to hire for the position Mook filled.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

his loving name was Mook

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/28/world/europe/russia-hacker-vladimir-fomenko-king-servers.html

Russian hacker identified in the DNC leak apparently~

Apparently he's welcoming FBI investigation but there hasn't been contact? :shrug: They say it raises questions, but not really because Comey

Idk if this is completely credible and verified but I thought it was an amusing read.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'd like to toss an asterisk on the ground game "sucking"--while there were obviously some batshit decisions on the national level as to where to send resources, south florida turned out people like crazy. Like, old-school shave-them-and-get-them-back-in-the-booth crazy. That the state was lost due to the west coast going "eh, gently caress her" is another issue.

Just goes to show that the tools and the data was there if motivated/the right people could get ahold of it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

Yglesias is fine. Mook can kiss my rear end

Yglesias once argued that third world sweatshops were okay because that means we get goods cheaper. He's the dictionary definition of a lanyard yanking neoliberal shithead and he should loving die

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

LinYutang posted:

this is more lol reporting on clinton's Most Excellent Ground Game Powered By Ada

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/799654875109949440

A union staffer in Pittsburgh reports a similar pattern, saying that Clinton’s Brooklyn headquarters failed to invest in a locally generated plan to reach out to African Americans who lived in parts of Pennsylvania other than Pittsburgh and Philly. There are, of course, black communities all over the state. However, without money from the campaign this local effort struggled for lack of literature, vehicles, etc. And with no resources, enthusiasm faded.

The same geographical tone deafness was seen in the campaign’s decision to place its Pittsburgh headquarters in an upscale part of town. At one point this fall, a group of immigration rights activists even staged a sit-in at the campaign office to protest their community’s marginalization within the effort.

The Clinton campaign’s assumption seems to have been that actual people living on the ground in actual places knew less about the population around them than did the data-savvy professionals at campaign headquarters in Brooklyn.

Another labor organizer lamented in an email about the awful campaign Hillary ran in the northern Midwest. When local leaders started to panic at the apparent traction Trump was gaining in these regions and urged the Clinton campaign to send the candidate into the Rust Belt, the geographic ulcer of corporate globalization, nothing happened. Clinton largely stayed away from the counties she lost; but Trump was all over them. Counties that Obama had carried four years ago experienced fifteen- to twenty-five-point swings in Trump’s favor.

So basically Clinton ignored the working class like she always has and would have during her presidency.

At least Trump may accidentally revive local manufacturing when global trade falls apart and fracking becomes profitable again during the Iran War on Islam.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yglesias once argued that third world sweatshops were okay because that means we get goods cheaper. He's the dictionary definition of a lanyard yanking neoliberal shithead and he should loving die

if were judging people on a sliding scale I'll take someone who can admit they were wrong over someone whose head is so far up his rear end he breathes methane. Maybe my tolerance for poo poo head is tuned wrong I guess

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

At least Trump may accidentally revive local manufacturing when global trade falls apart

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LinYutang posted:

this is more lol reporting on clinton's Most Excellent Ground Game Powered By Ada

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/799654875109949440

A union staffer in Pittsburgh reports a similar pattern, saying that Clinton’s Brooklyn headquarters failed to invest in a locally generated plan to reach out to African Americans who lived in parts of Pennsylvania other than Pittsburgh and Philly. There are, of course, black communities all over the state. However, without money from the campaign this local effort struggled for lack of literature, vehicles, etc. And with no resources, enthusiasm faded.

The same geographical tone deafness was seen in the campaign’s decision to place its Pittsburgh headquarters in an upscale part of town. At one point this fall, a group of immigration rights activists even staged a sit-in at the campaign office to protest their community’s marginalization within the effort.

The Clinton campaign’s assumption seems to have been that actual people living on the ground in actual places knew less about the population around them than did the data-savvy professionals at campaign headquarters in Brooklyn.

Another labor organizer lamented in an email about the awful campaign Hillary ran in the northern Midwest. When local leaders started to panic at the apparent traction Trump was gaining in these regions and urged the Clinton campaign to send the candidate into the Rust Belt, the geographic ulcer of corporate globalization, nothing happened. Clinton largely stayed away from the counties she lost; but Trump was all over them. Counties that Obama had carried four years ago experienced fifteen- to twenty-five-point swings in Trump’s favor.

The WI GOP gerrymandered the democrats into three districts: WI-02 (Pocan), WI-03 (Kind), and WI-04 (Moore). This is Madison, Driftless Area, and Milwaukee respectively. GUESS WHICH ONE WENT TRUMP THIS YEAR!

Also WI-03 was lucky enough that no one had anyone running against Kind. Rural WI dems in WI-03 didn't turn out this year like they did for every other election since 84.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
trump will NTO SAVE THW ORLD says increasingly nersiouv man for the 8 TRIOLLIONED time this year

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baloogan posted:

trump will NTO SAVE THW ORLD says increasingly nersiouv man for the 8 TRIOLLIONED time this year

So, how many drinks tonight?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Baloogan posted:

meme

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

So, how many drinks tonight?

woot, nuff

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

how???????? the dems arent interested in what i have to say unless i have lots of money for them

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Baloogan posted:

woot, nuff

none of those are opened :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Baloogan posted:

woot, nuff

If you aren't making blind russians in honor of Russia meddling in getting Trump elected, shame.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Grondoth posted:

Politics sucks but it ain't gonna get any better unless non-sucky people are involved

smart people don't go into politics because it's a giant loving waste of their intelligence because it's terrible so we're doomed to a vicious cycle

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
e

Oxxidation has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Jan 15, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

triple sulk posted:

smart people don't go into politics because it's a giant loving waste of their intelligence because it's terrible so we're doomed to a vicious cycle

maybe we need a new system

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Pollyanna posted:

how???????? the dems arent interested in what i have to say unless i have lots of money for them

State and local 4ever

Do the Democrats have a city or county office? For example, I've got a [#name] County Democrats with a decent websites, meetings when I'm working and nothing really planned in terms of activism.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oxxidation posted:

i'm in NJ, reliably blue, and even my local democratic party hasn't updated its news or website since 2014

the party is a hollow shell of itself all over

exactly this. i doubt the republicans are as hollowed out as the democrats. they probably have fuckoff ground game. and even if they don't, it's still better than the democrats

if you represent a constituency you represent it for as long as you've been elected, you can't loving ignore it. it's a goddamn full-time job, not an easy way into money

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

none of those are opened :colbert:

i assume u a couple are open now

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pollyanna posted:

exactly this. i doubt the republicans are as hollowed out as the democrats. they probably have fuckoff ground game. and even if they don't, it's still better than the democrats

if you represent a constituency you represent it for as long as you've been elected, you can't loving ignore it. it's a goddamn full-time job, not an easy way into money

The republicans have better ground game than the democrats.

Why? BECAUSE IT EXISTS EVERY TWO YEARS INSTEAD OF FOUR

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It'd be nice to help a local party takeover the state. Then WA could unceasingly agitate for a parliamentary system with an IRV voting system or something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Accretionist posted:

State and local 4ever

Do the Democrats have a city or county office? For example, I've got a [#name] County Democrats with a decent websites, meetings when I'm working and nothing really planned in terms of activism.

in my place, not in a very accessible manner, and i don't know if i want to get involved with them anyway. i've been turned off from them as a result of this election.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

triple sulk posted:

Can I ironically get involved with Texas Republicans and gently caress their poo poo up by being a crazy jackass instead of helping the Democrats? That seems more fun. Heck, I might even be president one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Can I ironically get involved with Texas Republicans and gently caress their poo poo up by being a crazy jackass instead of helping the Democrats? That seems more fun. Heck, I might even be president one day.

quoting future president

• Locked thread