Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I've never had barbarians spawn on me due to low amenities, even while riding -2 or so. I actually find amenities easier to deal with this game. But if you are really having trouble then build the Colosseum. Say good bye to unhappiness for a long, long time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

silvergoose posted:

Is it just me or is the "right click on a space" functionality...less good than civ V? Or is that just a function of my computer sucks? It feels very nonresponsive, takes a while to even acknowledge I'm clicking somewhere, etc.

It is very easy to get your right-clicking wrong. A lot of the time, I'll be acknowledging the little alerts that pop up in the bottom-right corner and realize that one of my units has decided to go for a swim in the middle of the ocean. :argh:

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I hate to pull the "Git Gudİ" card but who the gently caress has troubles with Amenities in Civilization VI.

The +1 Ammenity per Garrison, +1 per 2 Districts and Ent. District should be enough to cover you.

EDIT: 10 mins after I posted this I got a crash and can't go on in my Japanese Game :negative: Civ Karma :negative:

turboraton fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 19, 2016

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Question, never played a civ game in full. People were saying the game mechanics that allowed for spearmen in earlier civs to take out tanks just doesnt happen anymore, is that true?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Question, never played a civ game in full. People were saying the game mechanics that allowed for spearmen in earlier civs to take out tanks just doesnt happen anymore, is that true?

That was the first Civilization, where it came down to a die roll. It could still happen with a really busted-up tank, I guess.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

du -hast posted:

Totally agreed.

Ok am gonna give it another try, thanks for the info everyone.

BTW does anyone know: how do amenity penalties compare with global happiness? I assume its equally or near-equally crippling?
Nowhere near as crippling

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Alan Smithee posted:

Spearmen can be taken out by ancient era warriors. Also, tanks can be taken out by mechanized infantry. I think it feels good era-wise, but as a new civ-guy I'm still learning what counters which. ^^ If you send a tank with 10%hp against a spearman there might be a chance that the spearman survives or kills you in a counter attack. Damaged units do less damage in 6 at least.

edit: vv start a new game, expand to 13 or 17 cities, build cossacks for 20 turns and tell me how it goes. (barbarians sprouting like weeds with your technology in its roots)

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 19, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If there is any significant penalty for unhappiness, I have not felt it. Since tiles are really unproductive compared to trade routes anyway I guess many people would be insulated from the effects

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

du -hast posted:

BTW does anyone know: how do amenity penalties compare with global happiness? I assume its equally or near-equally crippling?
Nothing like.

But it will spam you with stupid messages every turn, which is annoying in its own way

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah if you go too long or too deep into the negative with amenities you start getting nasty surprises like 3 barb AT units spawning outside a city

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Niwrad posted:

Sounds good. Is shuffle just one of the map types chosen at random or just a mix of everything?

Shuffle is it makes a map without any real attention to anything. You'll get a fractle-like map with snake like continents but you'll get poo poo like areas of desert or jungles near the poles, and tundra near the equator. The little biome-zones make sense, so think of it more like a minecraft map.

At least that was my impression on one, never really played any of them for very long.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
new amenities system is basically the civ4 happiness except weaker and acting like a soft cap. housing is the real hard cap

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Alan Smithee posted:

It's theoretically possible, but I've never seen it. Units can reliably cream older units and take negligible damage.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Krazyface posted:

It's theoretically possible, but I've never seen it. Units can reliably cream older units and take negligible damage.

I don't know the exact number but if X unit has ~20+ combat strength over Y unit, it's basically an instant kill. They simplified combat considerably but it also makes those +5 and +4 bonuses that much better. It's not +4 relative to Str 80 or some such: it stays relevant the whole game.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

So to anyone who has played around with the new patch, how much does it improve the AI in combat? Are the AIs at least upgrading now?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

FooF posted:

I don't know the exact number but if X unit has ~20+ combat strength over Y unit, it's basically an instant kill. They simplified combat considerably but it also makes those +5 and +4 bonuses that much better. It's not +4 relative to Str 80 or some such: it stays relevant the whole game.

It's about 30. For example, here's a video where FilthyRobot finds out that great generals stack and 65 strength legions one-shot his swordsmen and one of his cities.

https://youtu.be/LhA81VYpi7A

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

El Disco posted:

great generals stack

Holy poo poo. So basically every area of effect bonus stacks, huh? I guess I need to build more encampment buildings

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

turboraton posted:

Man I hate to pull the "Git Gudİ" card but who the gently caress has troubles with Amenities in Civilization VI.

The +1 Ammenity per Garrison, +1 per 2 Districts and Ent. District should be enough to cover you.

If your constantly at war it can pop up. That war weariness penalty adds up. That's the only time I've ever seen it become an issue.

MooselanderII posted:

So to anyone who has played around with the new patch, how much does it improve the AI in combat? Are the AIs at least upgrading now?

It's better but still needs work. I think the problem stems from strategic resources being so scarce. AI is better at defending their cities but they still can't figure out how to take one of yours.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

turboraton posted:

EDIT: 10 mins after I posted this I got a crash and can't go on in my Japanese Game :negative: Civ Karma :negative:

I have gotten starts with 0 luxury resources near me. Otherwise, amenities are pretty forgiving.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

MooselanderII posted:

Yeah they seem to keep up pretty well now, at least in the immortal game I played. More than that they actually go for science and culture now, to the point that I had a really hard time keeping up.

They still don't really know what to do with their units but the game is a lot harder (at least for me) than before

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I cannot win a cultural victory. No matter how much culture and tourism I build, the transfer of tourists is too slow.

I can get to 500 culture, but it just then seems to take forever to lure in those tourists. What can I do besides build tourist attractions (beaches, getting great works, etc) that I'm not? Basically how do I get a cultural victory before 1900AD?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Madcosby posted:

I cannot win a cultural victory. No matter how much culture and tourism I build, the transfer of tourists is too slow.

I can get to 500 culture, but it just then seems to take forever to lure in those tourists. What can I do besides build tourist attractions (beaches, getting great works, etc) that I'm not? Basically how do I get a cultural victory before 1900AD?

You need to get open borders and trade routes with everybody. Also having the same religion also helps. All of those things give a massive tourism bonus when paired with proper policy.

Also it's hard to do this before 1900 and even harder if anybody is also going for a culture victory.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 20, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I almost had the AI get a culture victory while I was doing a care-bear space race game. As it turns out nuking their entire poo poo into the ground is a good way to dissuade tourists from visiting a civilization.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I almost had the AI get a culture victory while I was doing a care-bear space race game. As it turns out nuking their entire poo poo into the ground is a good way to dissuade tourists from visiting a civilization.

That's sort of blackly hilarious, "Your theme parks, museums and scenic views are an existential threat to us, our ICBMs launch in 5... 4... 3..."

Trogilus
Nov 3, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Weird. I had the exact opposite experience. I was trying for a religious victory and sabotaging multiple other civ's space facilities to hold them back. I launched 3 nuke attacks on Scythia when they got to within 10 tourists of winning. This took out their capital and the next two largest cities along with some wonders and other districts. Their tourists continued to climb. I realized I would have to capture their capital but I couldn't rush my troops there in time to stop their tourist count from winning them the game. It didn't make sense to me that it continued to climb. I think the game ended about 10 turns after the nuke attacks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Tourists are a factor of tourism output vs global tourist "population." Each civ has a pool of potential tourists and from what I can tell, it's kind of based on their total tourism output throughout the game, maybe time or something also contributes but it's really not related to population because I've had a civ with a size-3 city with like 800 tourist population.

By producing Tourism, you generate more tourist population for your team. Another team wins when their number of visiting tourists is greater than the local tourist population of a civ. So like say you have 1000 tourist pop, and they're all--the game narrates it on the victory conditions screen as "tourists enjoying themselves within your own civilization." This is local tourist pop. To win, another player would have to have 1001 tourists from any combination of other civs visiting at once.

As far as I can tell, short of their host civ being wiped out, once a tourist is attracted to your civ, they never "leave." America pulled 8 tourists from me and that number never, ever fell even though I'd tanked his tourism output to 0. It's not really a value that can go down.

Strangely, the best way to keep another civ from winning a tourism victory is to bulk up your own culture and tourism output. That way, you keep raising the ceiling for a cultural victory by producing local tourist population that doesn't disperse to other civs. When your culture and tourism is low, your tourist pop growth stagnates and it makes it easier for enemy players to get that victory. Nukes aren't the solution here, weirdly enough: it's actually building tons of "defensive" museums and poo poo :v: Stealing great works would probably also help by increasing your tourism output and reducing the target civ's.

'Cause unless you can completely wipe out a civ's tourism output, they'll keep attracting more, even if their entire empire is an irradiated hellscape.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

'Cause unless you can completely wipe out a civ's tourism output, they'll keep attracting more, even if their entire empire is an irradiated hellscape.

and to our left we have the ruins of the great library, the collections of which were unfortunately lost in the great fire of 1958...

... and to our right, the melted remains of the eiffel tower, also lost in the great fire of 1958

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Prav posted:

and to our left we have the ruins of the great library, the collections of which were unfortunately lost in the great fire of 1958...

... and to our right, the melted remains of the eiffel tower, also lost in the great fire of 1958

Why do you think France was adamant on having its own nuclear weapons? :v:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I saw a topic with a bunch of formulas on Civfanatics that said that you get a domestic tourist for every 100 culture (and apparently inspirations count?) and when you reach 150*(number of civs) tourism on a civ one of their domestic tourists becomes a foreign tourist for you. So if you had no tourism modifiers on anyone you'd need >150% of the top culture output civ's culture output in raw tourism output to (eventually) get a tourism victory.

Do nukes destroy great works/wonders? I haven't used them yet.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Anyone else have graphics related crashing problems with the new patch? I guess it could also the new nvidia drivers, since I updated them at the same time, but right now I'm not sure which one to blame.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has anyone figured out how tourism numbers actually work?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I am. I think it's the nvidia drivers, because the crashing didn't start until I updated those.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried a standard sized continents map with two less AI's and low water level to get a little more space. Naturally I immediately met Spain who started crying about my armies and cities being close and then Russia settled a city right next to my capital. The game doesn't even attempt to spread out players, right? All in one big blob and maybe one who gets an entire landmass to themselves. Alt+f4.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Poil posted:

I tried a standard sized continents map with two less AI's and low water level to get a little more space. Naturally I immediately met Spain who started crying about my armies and cities being close and then Russia settled a city right next to my capital. The game doesn't even attempt to spread out players, right? All in one big blob and maybe one who gets an entire landmass to themselves. Alt+f4.

Every game I have played has the civs well spread out and fairly evenly distributed. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm a little baffled to see that people miss global happiness. I hated feeling punished for founding more than like four cities in Civ V. Granted, Civ VI probably needs a little rebalancing because now infinite city spam is too good, but I also find it fun to have lots of cities so I'm happy for now.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Poil posted:

If you have played Civilization games before you should know to always play on Pangea because otherwise it will take you until turn 70 to realize how hosed up your map is.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Decrepus posted:

If you have played Civilization games before you should know to always play on Pangea because otherwise it will take you until turn 70 to realize how hosed up your map is.

In Civ4 you'd just open up the world builder on turn 1 and do a quick scan to make sure the map was ok. Alas, that technology has been lost however.

SMAC had an option that let you see the land/water of the map through FoW from the very beginning that was useful for exactly that same reason.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

All I wanted was for everyone to build up some cities before everyone throws down like a moron. :(

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'm a little baffled to see that people miss global happiness. I hated feeling punished for founding more than like four cities in Civ V. Granted, Civ VI probably needs a little rebalancing because now infinite city spam is too good, but I also find it fun to have lots of cities so I'm happy for now.

Wasn't the four city thing because your tech rate just got loving kneecapped whenever you put down a city and 4 was just the best number due to the policy bonuses? Global happiness wasn't the actual brake on expansion based on what I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
So one thing you can do to test how bad amenities can get. Do like I did and start a war with Ghandi to kill off his apostle swarm (like literally 14 or 15 of them) forgetting about the war mongering penalty. He refused to end the war for over 1000 years while I wheeled and sealed to get border access to finally kill him. By the time I was done war weariness was so bad I had -9 in my biggest cities and every turn a big city DIDN'T have rebels outside it they would spawn.