Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sharkytm posted:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I thought the episode had some issues. The air force fight was just cringy, the vignetting was turned up to 11, and I'm honestly not a huge fan of the new track. I'm sure as gently caress going to watch next week, the intro was amazing, and I'm glad we got to see the three Hypercars finally. I laughed out loud honestly a couple of times, which isn't common for me.

Nonetheless, it's great to have them back on the air, and I'm sure they'll get back into stride.

I agree with all this. The Air Force thing went on far too long. The track seems really underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Rewatching it, I see what people mean about the smiling girl. I think it's the excessively white teeth and it feels like something of a forced grin.

Does make you think of Dwayne Dibley somewhat, though distinctly more attractive.

Edit: Oh, Reddit:
"Can't stop looking at the pretty girl behind Jeremy Clarkson in S01E01"
"Same here, but why do they keep laughing at how slow she drives?"

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 19, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It was entertaining, but I'm not gonna love it until there's a challenge, a race or a country trip. Same way I've always felt about Top Gear, though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Was good, but not great. My wife isn't really into cars, but absolutely loved old TG. She got bored and went upstairs halfway through, just saying it was awkward and nowhere near as funny.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The only part I thought was outright bad was the American driver. It was just unfunny poo poo but it was also brief.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
What part of that P1 kept hitting the track to send up showers of sparks like that? I'm assuming part of the exhaust, doesn't titanium give those huge showers of white sparks? Maybe some magnesium aero stuff? Whatever it was, I'm sure each plume of sparks was making the directors pucker up praying for no real damage.

Also thank you thread for introducing me to the Regera, I didn't know Koenigsegg had been working on anything past the Agera R. That thing looks absolutely mental. And it's supposed to be a softer more luxury sort of car :catstare:. I hope they end up doing more Koenigsegg cars, ever since seeing the CC for back in the 90s I've never been able to see Lamborghini as the pinnacle of insanity some people claim. Like, come on, they even made the doors cooler. Even if they don't do a Regera, I hope they get their hands on a 1:One and make May drive it until he throws up.

Oh, and my brother and I saw a no poo poo McLaren F1 driving around in the New Hampshire fall a couple weeks ago. Add that to the P1 and MP4-12C I saw in Boston earlier this year and I can almost complete my batshit British car birdwatching list.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Ecstatic posted:

Ferrari, in particular are very demanding when it comes to media on their cars. They famously "don't advertise" instead promote their brand via car shows/mags/website review their cars combined with the F1 team for media exposure. This has led to certain amounts of "gaming the system" when providing cars, Chris Harris writes about it very well here. http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

So my guess.... They managed to get Ferrari to agree to provide a car on the proviso that it "will not lose a drag race". I found it very hard to believe that with launch control on all three, they couldn't produce repeatable results (but hell they made it look believable with the cars throwing themselves around).

The laptimes ..... poo poo, dunno. I know Porsche were up for a go anytime anywhere, Mclaren were keen as long as Ferrari didn't cheat, Ferrari were game if they could cheat. Really wasn't expecting them to be slower. Then again the closeness of it, might of meant that Ferrari agree to release the lap times (hence the delayed reveal).

I loved the show, it had it's misses but ultimately they captured the passion for cars that we all have perfectly in that opening sequence.

If you pay attention to the dialogue when they are talking about driving the cars back to the hotel, they explicitly say the reason the Ferrari isn't registered for the road is because if the owner registered it to get plates, he'd have to pay the secondhand car tax; I'm pretty sure they got it from someone who was not the original owner, thereby bypassing Ferrari's threat to not allow anyone who provided a LaFerrari for comparison against the 918 and P1 from ever buying another Ferrari again. They can't do that if they don't know who the owner of the car they borrowed was.

So Ferrari didn't agree to poo poo, they just found one owned by someone who wasn't at risk of being blacklisted.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Or just someone who had the balls to tell Ferrari to pound sand. I figure anyone who can afford a La Ferrari can afford a middle man to buy whatever they want in the future anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

iwentdoodie posted:

Was good, but not great. My wife isn't really into cars, but absolutely loved old TG. She got bored and went upstairs halfway through, just saying it was awkward and nowhere near as funny.
IIRC the three said themselves that the first episode had to be mostly about a bunch of cars to give the impression that this is a car show, going forward it will be more the stupid antics as known from Top Gear before.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

InitialDave posted:

Rewatching it, I see what people mean about the smiling girl. I think it's the excessively white teeth and it feels like something of a forced grin.

Does make you think of Dwayne Dibley somewhat, though distinctly more attractive.

Edit: Oh, Reddit:
"Can't stop looking at the pretty girl behind Jeremy Clarkson in S01E01"
"Same here, but why do they keep laughing at how slow she drives?"

She's cute and it's just this - it's just a huge contrast with her darker skin so it constantly draws attention to what is supposed to be the background, and it does feels a bit forced or at least weird in the way, who holds a grin like that for minutes.

CBJamo posted:

Or just someone who had the balls to tell Ferrari to pound sand. I figure anyone who can afford a La Ferrari can afford a middle man to buy whatever they want in the future anyway.
The problem is that they'd also have to buy this middleman a bunch of other Ferraris so they're allowed to purchase the latest and greatest. I like their cars but with this attitude I'd never buy one (assuming I could).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I figured it was either Ferrari leading it to them or one of those Valley billionaires that Ferrari couldn't piss off.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
They nailed it and it will only get better. Good to see the boys again

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I kinda wish they had picked up Tiff instead of the Nascar guy.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you pay attention to the dialogue when they are talking about driving the cars back to the hotel, they explicitly say the reason the Ferrari isn't registered for the road is because if the owner registered it to get plates, he'd have to pay the secondhand car tax; I'm pretty sure they got it from someone who was not the original owner, thereby bypassing Ferrari's threat to not allow anyone who provided a LaFerrari for comparison against the 918 and P1 from ever buying another Ferrari again. They can't do that if they don't know who the owner of the car they borrowed was.

So Ferrari didn't agree to poo poo, they just found one owned by someone who wasn't at risk of being blacklisted.

Yeh I was more referring to the show itself, giving the car a bum review. Don't TG GT have to keep Ferrari on their good side for the future of the show? Can't image they'd want to be in a position where they're blacklisted from taking out the next 488 or some-such ala Harris?

The show might have enough clout that the exposure is worth more than anything the team could say.

I mean, the only objectively bad supercar review I can remember TG giving in recent memory was the Zenvo (small volume, small company, no real repercussions for their future).

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I always liked how they dealt with car companies jerking them around:

"Challenger has refused because we're mean about them cars. Well Britain is not a rock in the North Atlantic, and we won't be messed around by a two-bit car company."

......"This is a Challenger that I've just bought."

Also the Yugo Bentley Mulsanne.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Plucky Brit posted:

I always liked how they dealt with car companies jerking them around:

"Challenger has refused because we're mean about them cars. Well Britain is not a rock in the North Atlantic, and we won't be messed around by a two-bit car company."

......"This is a Challenger that I've just bought."

Also the Yugo Bentley Mulsanne.

Ah yes, the famous Challenger Challenger.

It's the Ferrari The Ferrari, but fat.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A thoughtful review of the grand tour by the beeb

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

sean10mm posted:

The only part I thought was outright bad was the American driver. It was just unfunny poo poo but it was also brief.

Agreed. There are some genuinely interesting NASCAR drivers if they must use one, dunno why they went with Shrek impersonator Mike Skinner.

I also hope celebrity brain crunch was a one time thing to sell the dead celebs gag.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's this about Clarkson and May. I keep hearing the same thing over the years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's weird, I always heard the opposite (Jeremy and James were great buds and Hammond was the third wheel).

No evidence for this that I'm aware of though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The whole thing about them not actually liking each other has always been really dumb. Why the gently caress would these millionaires continue making TV together for like 15 years if they didn't like each other?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Andrast posted:

The whole thing about them not actually liking each other has always been really dumb. Why the gently caress would these millionaires continue making TV together for like 15 years if they didn't like each other?

Loadsamoney?

Adam Savage and Jaime Hyneman liked each other even less but that didn't stop Mythbusters from being great.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I constantly tell my best friend what a loving rear end in a top hat he is.

Their relationship seemed pretty natural to me, including James' non Top Gear stuff, where he mentions Jeremy from time to time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Top Grand Gear Tour TV Megathread: Relationship status complicated.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I remembered it was Sunday and got really excited for a new episode. Then I realized this isn't Top Gear. Come on Thursday err Friday?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Their relationship seemed pretty natural to me, including James' non Top Gear stuff, where he mentions Jeremy from time to time.

"It's now home to the odd rabid stray dog and the most distressed surfaces this side of Jeremy Clarkson's face" - James in Cars of the People

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If they don't genuinely like each other then they're all three the greatest stage actors in the history of the world because they were all hanging out and joking and having fun in-between takes and seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the entire event almost as much as us punters at the shooting of the opening sequence.

They did the opening roasts on the stage repeatedly to get the best sick burns/warm up the crowd, and all three x-ratedly bashed the poo poo out of each other and no one ever looked cross or at all taken aback by being called a pedophile/shopper for used dildos on ebay/horse-sex aficionado etc.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I say no simply because how hard James had Clarksons back through all of his bullshit over the years.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, I don't buy it. The reason the show has always worked as well as it has is because you get glimpses of their real friendship off and on throughout the series. If they're faking those bits and all the behind the scenes and non top gear stuff they're seriously the greatest actors of all time.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I think this is my favorite example of their genuine friendship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayjqliO-nHY&t=62s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they truly didn't like each other, Hammond and May would have left Clarkson behind and kept going with Top Gear.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Americans also need to take into account that derogatory piss-taking is what good friends do in the UK.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Americans also need to take into account that derogatory piss-taking is what good friends do in the UK.

Americans do it too, unless they are boring.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
You don't tell your good friends that you love and respect them, you call them assholes.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So how bout that gbs gt thread...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, not doubting their friendship. It's just weird that some "news" outlets keep hinting the opposite.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They wouldn't get many views if the article was: "Three middle aged guys had fun making a car show and everyone enjoyed watching it."

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I tried to read that BBC article and was immediately distracted by the hairy tumors growing out of the authors head

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hooooly poo poo how much money did they spend on the first five minutes alone??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Big expenses made me think of the two big differences between Amazon and BBC, the latter being played by :spergin: due to accurate hairdo and tan.

On the one hand:

:clint: - Punched the producer in the face? But no rape right? And no dead hookers? Pfft, pay him off, who cares.
:spergin: - We shall have no more infringements of the workplace statutes. Summon the infraction committee, at once.

But on the other:

:spergin: - We cannot cancel. The public would...and the PM, not to mention Her Majesty. Unthinkable.The show must go on in one form or another. It's as much of an institution as Nelson's column.
:clint: - Not making more huh? gently caress it, pay them off, cancel it.