Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I thought the whole super-communicator was supposed to be rare because it's an atom split between two locations and vibrating one half causes the other half to do the same despite being split in half.

I remember because I think they used the same description as the actual real life observation/theory of the phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Thor-Stryker posted:

I thought the whole super-communicator was supposed to be rare because it's an atom split between two locations and vibrating one half causes the other half to do the same despite being split in half.

I remember because I think they used the same description as the actual real life observation/theory of the phenomenon.

Yeah it's described in ME2 as being extremely expensive and by its nature can only communicate between two (relatively) fixed points. The fact that it's instant communication regardless of distance makes it exactly what you'd want to put on an extragalactic colony ship. Naturally there won't be one. :v:

Or maybe they'll realize that it doesn't make sense not to have one and say that it broke :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bet you all the species in Andromeda are the colonists from previous reaper cycles who jumped ship before their races were harvested.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zzulu posted:

It can not possibly get more generic than that guy

Random white man with buzzed hair, no distinct features

That's true, but you can make your own Ryder anyway.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bet you all the species in Andromeda are the colonists from previous reaper cycles who jumped ship before their races were harvested.

yeah and I hope the plot in Andromeda is from before the series jumped shark

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope we come across a lost reaper who was shunned from his reaper friends who is all friendly and helpful

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zzulu posted:

I hope we come across a lost reaper who was shunned from his reaper friends who is all friendly and helpful

Mac Walters: "...AND THEN YOU gently caress IT!"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
can you sex said Reaper?

edit: lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How do you gently caress something so large though? I feel like I wouldn't be able to satisfy a reaper properly.. Unless I dock my spaceship into its butt or something

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Mass Effect: Andromeda - I dock my spaceship into its butt or something

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

How do you gently caress something so large though? I feel like I wouldn't be able to satisfy a reaper properly.. Unless I dock my spaceship into its butt or something

you could say you.. . taint reap it

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda - I dock my spaceship into its butt or something

"Initiate docking maneuvers."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Trast posted:

"Initiate docking maneuvers."

CMON TARS

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, this a Mass Effect thread alright...
so...
hmmm...

Do you want anything calibrated?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Walrus Pete posted:

Or maybe they'll realize that it doesn't make sense not to have one and say that it broke :shrug:

This would make abundant sense though, because the milky way one would probably get blown up in the reaper invasion. And the andromeda cast could just write it off as "well, this technology has never been tested over these distances before, so maybe it just doesn't work".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ME:A needs a ME:2 Zaeed stand in for a party member. Probably some Token Alien.

Oh and the new Mako needs an onboard AI which is a romance option for literal space car love.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
those will both be DLC's

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

Oh and the new Mako needs an onboard AI which is a romance option for literal space car love.

The Mako is voiced by Jeremy Clarkson.

Also, that asari 'member Pee-pee or Tee-p or Peggy or whatever looks like a boy. She's got a mannish face...

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Drifter posted:

The Mako is voiced by Jeremy Clarkson.

Also, that asari 'member Pee-pee or Tee-p or Peggy or whatever looks like a boy. She's got a mannish face...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

DancingShade posted:

"Ryder, dating your coworker and primary mode of transportation is immoral, illogical, and in violation of Council Statute 437-B." -Asari NPC Leela

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Will bioware finally put some butts/boobs on my spaceship? Will this be the good mass effect?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

So the rock people are the bad aliens, this time around?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

those physics... sublime

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Eastbound Spider posted:

Will bioware finally put some butts/boobs on my spaceship? Will this be the good mass effect?

We already got a ship put into a butt/pair of giant metal boobs, so why not?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I assume there already exists a bunch of EDI/Cortana crossover lesbian fan-art, right?

Jesus Christ what the gently caress am I asking what have you done to me Mass Effect thread??!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did Legion's Shepard-stalking aspect, that was in the early marketing materials, ever get clarified in some behind-the-scenes?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Did Legion's Shepard-stalking aspect, that was in the early marketing materials, ever get clarified in some behind-the-scenes?

He gives you some information if you talk to him - his autonomous nature just allowed him to sorta develop a hero-worship thing - , but ultimately:

7 years ago posted:

Here is the snag with Legion. Originally, he was supposed to be obsessed with Shepard.
He was supposed to stalk Shepard through part of the game and you originally were
supposed to pick up clues and track him down before you recruited him which would have
led to his loyalty quest. I also believe there were a few more Geth quests that were cut
from the final game, i remember a dev talking about it a while back.

That is why the very first teaser trailer for ME 2 was Legion, because he and the Geth were
meant to have a much bigger role in the main game.

Bioware has never said why they changed/dropped this idea, but keep
insisting that they have big plans for Legion, and have hinted at future dlc.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 20, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I have no doubt that you were originally supposed to meet Legion at the Normandy crash site or something like it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason was falling victim to the Xbox 360 needing to swap to a second disc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kibayasu posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason was falling victim to the Xbox 360 needing to swap to a second disc.

You know, it is a drat shame when the limitations of hardware lead to cut content rather than clever use of the resources they have. I know ambition always overreaches ability, but some games are absolute wonders with what they were able to pull off with the hardware at their disposal, while others are a sad list of what could have been concepts that were cut for time or limitations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

That's a lot of the reason why ME2 turned out the way it did, actually. IIRC, you were supposed to get all the dossiers to start with then, after you did any three, it went to Horizon. Almost all the party members have lines for the Omega missions (Mordin, Garrus) and for Horizon.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Kibayasu posted:

You were originally supposed to get to Legion much earlier in the game. The disc swap is why this was changed. A lot of it is still in the game and can be accessed if you hack it a bit and sequence break.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMYTcToLo9A

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Like other people are saying Legion was supposed to be a lot earlier. If you use Gibbed to put him in the game he's got dialog still in game as soon as you finish Freedom's Progress. Legion is one of my favorite squad mates so its a shame things turned out the way they did. When the writer responsible for him left the team it left the ME3 geth feeling much shallower.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They went from chill AI who just want to hang around in deep space to Pinnochio robots.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Arcsquad12 posted:

They went from chill AI who just want to hang around in deep space to Pinnochio robots.

This is really the greatest sin of ME3. The Geth were interesting as gently caress and it's super rare for Sci-fi to have actually alien AI that is neither servile nor genocidal.

But then Legion asked if he was a real boy and that plotline petered out real fast.

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men
I agree, the Geth in ME 1 & 2 was an interesting concept with an AI that was truly alien with it's collective consciousness and perception. They also had a nice twist to the standard AI rebellion story. They kept away from the standard AI plot lines of wanting to kill all organics or wanting to be more human. The Geth along with the Krogan were my favorite race because of details like this.

But ME3 destroyed the Geth by doing the standard Pinocchio story. And they did it twice in the same game with how they handled EDI.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did the console versions of ME2 have no indicators of cooldowns outside the ability wheel?

Cause I don't see any when playing with the PC controller mod (it's awesome that someone managed to enable support).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The geth were originally going to resurrect Shepard in ME2.

I think the idea kinda breaks down when you start to think of the actual details. Cerberus was the better choice.