Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Purple is OP.

People gave me so much GRIEF for perpetuating a pyramid scheme! :byodame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

one of my friends who posted a pyramid scheme similar to that got called out for it and responded in the same way, idgi

why not just send gifts to your friends without a weird scam overtone, or set up a gofundme if you're desperate for money

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho_mhBgNCmg

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010
I don't get it, you won, Trump is President and we have a Neo-Nazi as Chief strategist. What more do you want?

I NEED TO FEEL PERSECUTED AT ALL TIMES REGARDLESS OF CIRCUMSTANCES

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Multiple arrest track record and on medication for mental illness. That's basically any person who goes on TV over some perceived slight in a viral video.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Xen Tricks posted:

I don't get it, you won, Trump is President and we have a Neo-Nazi as Chief strategist. What more do you want?

I NEED TO FEEL PERSECUTED AT ALL TIMES REGARDLESS OF CIRCUMSTANCES

Until literally everyone alive in America is white they will never feel safe.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Starbucks is the whitest company on the planet. What the hell.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Somfin posted:

Until literally everyone alive in America is white they will never feel safe.

Im pretty sure even if everyone was white it still wouldnt matter

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hihohe posted:

Im pretty sure even if everyone was white it still wouldnt matter

Given that they can never define what 'white' is, you may be onto something.

Once everyone alive is part of their direct genetic lineage or heritage, they will feel safe.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Hitler wasn't wrong, he was just ahead of his time! Soon we'll be fighting to purge the world of anyone who isn't a blue eyed-blond hair ubermensch.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Somfin posted:

Given that they can never define what 'white' is, you may be onto something.

Once everyone alive is part of their direct genetic lineage or heritage, they will feel safe.

Theres a comic, that pointed out that even if we were all genetic clones from test tubes, wed probably fight over whether or not our test tube was odd or even.

someone find it for me im lazy.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
People bust each others faces in over preference of football teams and somewhere out there I have no doubt that dozens of people have been shot or stabbed over the Iphone/Android preference.

Before abortion and gay marriage became such hot political topics the various Christian groups were fighting to no end. Many people considered Kennedy "not white" for his Irish heritage and deeply questioned him bring Catholic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I don't know the test tube comic, but I can't help but think of this

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

This is fake

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Starbucks is the whitest company on the planet. What the hell.

Alt-right people have been protesting it because some dude went in and asked the barista to write "trump" for the name and the barista refused and now the rest are like "let's all go to starbucks and tell the baristas to write trump on the cup" with the intent to "normalize" the alt-right and trump

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It would be funny if a bunch of these guys went in at once and got their coffees all mixed up willy nilly in the Trumpfusion.

Isn't Starbucks also the place where they said it was perfectly okay to come in with an assault rifle* strapped to you and 50 spare magazines in your tactilol web gear to get your coffee?

* If you want to get into a dumb semantic argument about what constitutes an "assault rifle," please instead type up your post, print it out, and shove it in your butt.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

FirstAidKite posted:

Alt-right people have been protesting it because some dude went in and asked the barista to write "trump" for the name and the barista refused and now the rest are like "let's all go to starbucks and tell the baristas to write trump on the cup" with the intent to "normalize" the alt-right and trump

Not even. This all started when this guy's drink took too long and this actual crazy person cooked up actual crazy delusions about anti white discrimination saying they refused him his drink completely.

http://www.local10.com/news/politics/trump-voter-calls-starbucks-barista-trash-says-she-discriminates-against-whites

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

KIT HAGS posted:

Not even. This all started when this guy's drink took too long and this actual crazy person cooked up actual crazy delusions about anti white discrimination saying they refused him his drink completely.

http://www.local10.com/news/politics/trump-voter-calls-starbucks-barista-trash-says-she-discriminates-against-whites

So wait, is the whole #trumpcup poo poo going on an entirely separate starbucks-related alt-right thing than this then, because lol wow

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
They are probably offended by the colour of the coffee.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BigglesSWE posted:

They are probably offended by the colour of the coffee.

You'd think they'd be down with a place that burns hundreds of tall blacks every day.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

You'd think they'd be down with a place that burns hundreds of tall blacks every day.

Holy poo poo

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Hihohe posted:

Theres a comic, that pointed out that even if we were all genetic clones from test tubes, wed probably fight over whether or not our test tube was odd or even.

someone find it for me im lazy.

This is also an episode of Fairly OddParents. :v: Timmy wishes everyone was just a bunch of grey blobs and the world was gray because he's tired of being made fun of by his dentist and the dentist's son for not having perfect teeth. Afterwards they're still a bunch of assholes, talking about how they're the greyest and blobiest, making the whole wish a fruitless endeavor. People will always find a way to try and be superior to one another.

:colbert: I watched it a lot as a kid.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

:drat:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

FirstAidKite posted:

So wait, is the whole #trumpcup poo poo going on an entirely separate starbucks-related alt-right thing than this then, because lol wow

Starbucks is racist against white people, haven't you been listening?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Whether it did or didn't happen isn't important, what matters is that it could've happened. :argh:

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I'm going to be wasting my time writing this here, but what the hell. I've spent more time on much less fruitful endeavors.

This sort of attitude is one of the core reasons why Trump is in the White House. It's why Brexit happened, it's why nationalist, far-right parties are rising all over the world, and it's why you are going to lose drat near every thing you fight for if you don't change course.

I grew up in the 90s when the religious right was going loving crazy in America. Video games are the devil, women belonged at home raising your eight kids, all of that poo poo. You'd have a televangelist talking about how a natural disaster was because God was angry at the gays one day and then he'd be caught giving a handy to a dude in a truck stop bathroom the next.

The religious right seemed like comical supervillains from a C-List comic book. They were unfathomably stupid and arrogant. They believed that they were untouchable. Turns out, they weren't.

That's you, now. People with this attitude of "let's remove 'hate speech', we need safe spaces, we need to ban people whose opinions we don't like" - that's the same poo poo the religious right was doing 20 years ago. Instead of the right, it's on the left. Instead of God, it's a twisted version of a social justice mentality whose idea of equality was conjured up by some rear end in a top hat with a sociology degree.

The path you are on is the path to irrelevancy. The tide has already turned, you just haven't had the sense to notice it.

To start, you absolutely do need more "alt-right" subreddits and communities. You need to listen to them, and you need to engage them. You need to openly debate and discuss with them. The failings of the left in the last few years rests solely on the inability of people to listen to their ideological opponents and, more critically, the inability to engage with them.

Freedom of speech is not just a legal concept. It is an ethos. It is the belief that the best way to figure something out is to talk openly about it. Sure, we have some sensible limits - don't threaten people directly, don't incite violence directly - and that's about as far as we should take it. Anything going beyond that is simply going to push the people you disagree with to the outside. It doesn't mean they don't exist anymore, you just won't hear them anymore. And while they may offer you some measure of temporary comfort, every now and again the real world is going to smack you upside the head with the consequences of leaving your ideological opponents to their own devices.

"How could this happen?" millions of voices cried out after Trump was elected, completely loving oblivious to the fact that they had banned or silenced nearly everyone with a dissenting opinion.

The worst of this, personally, is that you idiots are on my side more than the "other guys". I think a social safety net is a good idea. I think protection against discrimination against anyone based on their immutable characteristics should be illegal. I think we should have single-payer healthcare. I think university should be substantially cheaper, if not free.

I also think that guns aren't baby-killing murder machines. I think borders should be patrolled and strictly enforced. I think a country should consider its own citizens first above all else because that's the entire loving point of a country.

Now that last paragraph? That alone is enough to make me persona non grata with a lot of people here and elsewhere. I'd be branded a right-wing nutjob because I think the second amendment is a good idea. I'd be branded a "racist" for wanting to enforce our borders. I'd be "no-platformed", shut out of the echo chambers you control and protested - sometimes violently - at the places you don't.

But I'd still exist. And when the people I sympathize with most won't even have the decency to listen and engage with an idea that's even slightly against what they deem acceptable - where the hell else am I to go?

That's the exact thing that happened with millions of undecided voters and disenfranchised people who you refused to listen to, much less talk to. You ignored them, you pretended they didn't exist - but they were still there. When it came time to vote, they voted, and because you weren't even capable of talking with them you didn't have the opportunity to change their minds.

I didn't vote for Trump. I'm in a blue state, so my vote was either for Hillary or basically thrown away. I decided to cast a vote for Gary Johnson and hope that it helped get the Libertarian party to 5%. I don't like most of their ideology, but maybe the extra federal funding would have helped diversify the political landscape a bit in this country.

I didn't just dislike Clinton, I loathed her. I wanted her to lose. She represented the absolute worst of the modern political left. I had genuinely hoped that anyone else would win, and I personally put Donald Trump at the absolute bottom of the list of people I would consider giving my one and only vote to.

Despite that, I nonetheless hoped that he would win. Not because I agree with his policies. Not because I condone any of the countless stupid things he's said over the years. Not because I'm sexist, or racist, or whatever you want to call me.

I wanted him to win to shock the entire loving system back to some kind of sanity. I hoped, in my heart of hearts, that losing so spectacularly might make the echo-chambers and safe spaces of the regressive left realize that they have completely screwed the pooch. I hoped that they might consider, if but for a moment, that perhaps shutting out all dissent might not be the best way to comport themselves as individuals.

I still don't know what's going to happen. I don't think the next 4 years will be the apocalypse. I do know that the pendulum is swinging back to the right, and if ya'll don't start engaging the people you've purposefully and maliciously ignored for so long it's going to swing awfully far.

You are not going to accomplish your goals if you keep doing things the way you're doing them. You are only going to further empower your ideological opponents - your enemy, as you might brand them - and hand them everything you don't want them to have on a silver platter.

Shape the hell up and start actually talking to people for goodness' sake.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Source your quotes.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I like people telling the anti-Trump people to reach out while the Trump camp stays firmly rooted in their bigotry and hate without offering an olive branch of their own.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
"I'm not a racist, I just wanted this racist guy to win with all my heart to spite you people"

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

Source your quotes.

https://m.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrumpSpam/comments/5ddbht

That whole thread has a bunch of variants on "this is why Trump was elected". Because Reddit.

Transmogrifier posted:

I like people telling the anti-Trump people to reach out while the Trump camp stays firmly rooted in their bigotry and hate without offering an olive branch of their own.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

IMO, it's a two-way (at least) street. If you want people to listen and understand why people might support Trump, you should make an attempt to listen as well. Understand how personal experience shapes a person's view on an issue and work with that, and show them how it influences your view. It's very easy to say that people need to be calm and rational to change minds when you haven't been through the wringer yourself.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

FirstAidKite posted:

Lets all go spend money at Starbucks! That'll show 'em! :arghfist::smug:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

somekindofguy posted:

IMO, it's a two-way (at least) street. If you want people to listen and understand why people might support Trump, you should make an attempt to listen as well. Understand how personal experience shapes a person's view on an issue and work with that, and show them how it influences your view. It's very easy to say that people need to be calm and rational to change minds when you haven't been through the wringer yourself.

Nah I get it. I don't want to get into a political derail since it's against the rules, but it still amuses me nonetheless when people act as those the left isn't reaching out when many of its leaders and occupants are. Not to say that some Trump supporters aren't doing that (I know they are) but it's not taking place at the level it really needs to. That's all I have to say on the matter now! Sorry I have no content to provide other than this:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/800182270648786944

Oh he also had a follow up this morning:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/800298286204723200

Transmogrifier has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Nov 20, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Well I'm the iosm today but in my defense you jackasses need to realize there can only be one LoB

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Plom Bar posted:

Well I'm the iosm today but in my defense you jackasses need to realize there can only be one LoB

This is true. I saw that spiel the other day and felt compelled to share it.

If this is the type of wall we will get in Trump's America, at least we'll have content for a long time.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's fine to post terrible Reddit poo poo, but only LoB is allowed to post them without quotation marks. This has been an IoSM PSA.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why do you guys get so defensive over that gimmick though. I mean, there's always a rush of goons falling over themselves to do the whole :smug: source your quotes :smug: thing whenever someone other than LoB does it, despite it being a really obvious copy/paste.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

poptart_fairy posted:

Why do you guys get so defensive over that gimmick though. I mean, there's always a rush of goons falling over themselves to do the whole :smug: source your quotes :smug: thing whenever someone other than LoB does it, despite it being a really obvious copy/paste.

Because it isn't always.

For example, look at your own posts.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RFC2324 posted:

Because it isn't always.

If people are being thick about it, maybe.

I dunno, just not seeing why it's suddenly so bad for Person B to post a wall of text when Person A gets praised for the exact same thing. This is the thread where mildly irritating FAROOQ eats a week probation while someone making a rape threat joke gets a day off, but still. :iiam:

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

It's about ethics in posting gimmicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm a rhino