Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

the PL discourse in 2016, a twitter ad in two replies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

remember when toyota was forced to reveal how horrifying their code was

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

remember when toyota was forced to reveal how horrifying their code was

Didn't it come out that their code was so horrible that it probably did kill those people who sued about the uncontrollable acceleration?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

Didn't it come out that their code was so horrible that it probably did kill those people who sued about the uncontrollable acceleration?

if the people were killed after they sued then it probably wasn't uncontrolled :haw:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
for real though yes, toyota lost the court case and had a big ol' fine. only a few select experts were allowed to look at the code in a closed environment after a protracted court battle.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
like we're talking 10k global variables and a thread monitor running in the same thread as the poo poo that it was supposed to monitor bad

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
As I remember it, the code was of such low quality that the auditors were unable to determine whether it was responsible for the accident.

"Security by obscurity doesn't work", they say. :smug:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
one of the processes was just called "task X" and the investigator wasn't allowed to talk at all about what it did.

maybe it cheated emissions tests lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the one real opening i can see when it comes to challenging java industry dominance is in static analysis tools, which is the case where java implementation and practice is actually working against it (code generation, dynamic loads, etc.), and the state of the art has progressed to a point where it may become a properly huge thing

very little hard and fast guarantees in such analysis of course. still, type systems are great and all, but 100% guarantees on a small subset of errors is not really better than e.g. a 60% chance of finding errors of a type twice as prevalent

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
just link the thing http://embeddedgurus.com/barr-code/2013/10/an-update-on-toyota-and-unintended-acceleration/

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

I could maybe quibble about some little things, but the giant elephant in the room there is macros. macros are poison to tooling of all kinds.

the simplest things imaginable fall apart with macros. like "find all references to this variable." and then you can't build on those foundations to build bigger and better things, like renaming refactorings.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Malcolm XML posted:

in other news, im liking elixir a lot. too bad it has nothing like pandas or numpy or a jvm bridge :((((((

Is JInterface or awesome-elixir insufficient?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

where has this been all my life?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hed posted:

where has this been all my life?

jesus really?

check out this fresh website: http://www.jerkcity.com

(neither are bad, its just surprising that youve never come across it)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Well, it's just an entirely different experience to program in. Go will not allow you to create the abstract class / indirection hell of an enterprise java project. You will never wonder where or how variable is defined, and you will never have to track down the definition of a function, interface, or type across multiple generated XML files. The worst you will have to deal with is generated code, but generated code is still limited to the (very limited) features of the language, so generally simpler to understand than say, a complex generic.

Some things absolutely require those features. Like, really, most business use cases. Go is bad for those. But if you need a user/server space programming language that doesn't suck nearly as much as ruby or python and isn't as soul crushing as java,, go's pretty dang good.
this is a legit problem in C# and java where industry fuckheads have successfully promoted using reflection based mechanisms to structure your project

usually it's not a big deal but people in my experience abuse these reflection based mechanisms to make it difficult to figure out what's going on instead of just using some loving functions

it's much worse than rust-like/lisp-like macros b/c it relies on runtime behavior and can easily defy discovery and helpful tooling

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also w/ rust-like macros since they expand at compile-time theoretically you could have Sufficiently Smart tooling to support it (at least much easier than any dynamic reflection based shenanigans)

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
so this is pretty cool http://witheve.com/

i'm sure a large project would run slowly and be hell to maintain, but i like the vision in the presentation
its nice to see something more novel than just "javascript but we changed the syntax"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

how is this any different than literate programming combined with a multi-pass compiler

literate programming sucks btw

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

comedyblissoption posted:

how is this any different than literate programming combined with a multi-pass compiler

literate programming sucks btw

how dare u impugn the name of the shakespeare programming language

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

literate programming is really good for certain use-cases, mostly when you have truly complex code to write and the comments get substantial enough that some additional typography really is called for

doesn't happen that often in my area at least, but now and then i do write something properly complicated and properly formatting the documentation in-line is the best bet

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

how dare u impugn the name of the shakespeare programming language

i taught a three-week "intro to programming" class one time and the way the schedule works there's a two-hour loving-around period so we just talked about esolangs and then did a dramatic reading of a shakespeare program

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

literate programming is really good for certain use-cases, mostly when you have truly complex code to write and the comments get substantial enough that some additional typography really is called for

doesn't happen that often in my area at least, but now and then i do write something properly complicated and properly formatting the documentation in-line is the best bet

thats not literate programming. literate programming is when the language tries to actually be correct english (or some other language) and u program it like you're talking to the enterprise's computer or some poo poo. it never works

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

thats not literate programming. literate programming is when the language tries to actually be correct english (or some other language) and u program it like you're talking to the enterprise's computer or some poo poo. it never works

If this is right (I have no idea), that doesn't seem like what eve is? It really just seems like a programming language with nicely-formatted comments.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

this is not right

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

leftist heap posted:

this is not right

huh. id never seen it used in this context before and had always seen it used for what i said. but i stand corrected.

still, that eve thing doesnt seem to add much except nice formatting of comments so its not nearly the revolutionary tech it's claiming to be.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the average programmer being able to clearly explain their code would be revolutionary

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no no, i am not sure the movement you describe has a name (but the cobol, sql, and applescript sort of tradition), but literate programming is knuths toy thing, with WEB which is basically pascal and tex interspersed, and CWEB and so on

does make a lot of sense when you do heavy algorithm stuff like knuth does, where it really is true that each line of code will get read and considered many more times than it is rewritten

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Literate programming might have a use for writing library API documentation.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

natural language programming (nlp) is the other one

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

knuth's thing is garbage because when you're lookin at it in an editor (as people are wont to do) now it just looks like tex and code, aka code and code, aka ugly as hell. eve is nice enough to always be pretty. they've got some interesting ideas in there and raise some valid points

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the eve stuff looks like swift playgrounds imo

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
knuth's original version of literate programming is absolutely hosed, since you write your entire codebase as a set of deeply nested macros in arbitrary order inside a tex document and a preprocessor fishes out all the pieces and puts them in order so that it compiles. it's something only an academic could come up with.

literate haskell (and eve since it looks to be the same style), i would argue, is not even literate programming. it's just a way to typeset source code. very rarely is it useful to actually produce a publication (except maybe a journal article or thesis). on the other hand, TeX's original source code is literally a full book, laid out like any other book.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

a little late, but here's what i know as literate programming:
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~pszgmh/sudoku.lhs

where the main body is the (not latex) comments, and code is interspersed between them. lots of tutorials on the haskell wiki are literate haskell which is always a bit odd when the article starts

"i'm going to do X today. here's a little preamble first" *50 lines of imports*

let's all just pretend I posted this here in thefirst place

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Edison was a dick posted:

Literate programming might have a use for writing library API documentation.

Literate programming is about describing the implementation, not the interface. So, no.

There is a reason it is used exceedingly rarely. It's also a bitch to maintain, and I found it impossible for exploratory programming.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
today was the bay area forth group's annual event

many of the sessions came off as backward-looking, summarizing the good forth-based ideas of years past. there were some innovative presentations in the afternoon regarding the multicore chips based on chuck moore's design. some berkeley researchers presented a c compiler for them that can target each unit of a program to a different core. http://pl.eecs.berkeley.edu/projects/chlorophyll/

a guy demonstrated forth running in an excel spreadsheet. he made it to use in his job because previously he used a forth runtime coded in Delphi and the boss didn't like him using such a marginal technology. so forth running in excel is less marginal.

at the event last year chuck had said that he had moved away from chip development and was learning to program the iphone. this year he said it's too hard because he can't get at the hardware and he can't get forth running on it. so he gave up on that and bemoaned the overengineering of modern computer systems. this is not a new thing for chuck and it follows the general tendency of EEs to underestimate software

there was lively discussion about the risks of closed proprietary hardware (secure boot, graphics controllers etc.) and where engineering talent will come from if people can't hack. this is a real concern imo but in that setting it gets entangled with the EE-centric worldview. i don't see any solution other than a political one of funding independent educational institutions and programs. nothing is going to come along and just flatten the HW/SW stack, however much they might wish.

e: oh yah in the discussion someone mentioned mirai DNS attack and how "they still don't know what caused it" (wtf). i didn't get a chance to point out that excessively open and hackable systems are exactly what caused it, and hence "openness" as an absolute principle is not a solution

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 20, 2016

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

gross

quote:

e: oh yah in the discussion someone mentioned mirai DNS attack and how "they still don't know what caused it" (wtf). i didn't get a chance to point out that excessively open and hackable systems are exactly what caused it, and hence "openness" as an absolute principle is not a solution

iot vendors treating security as an afterthought is what "caused" it. the openness of a system is irrelevant if you can login with admin/admin creds

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
The Forth and APL communities can be a bit depressing. Both languages cling to life in weird niches isolated from mainstream software engineering and computer science. There are some brilliant people with neat ideas in each camp, but there's a huge chasm between those worlds and the ones everyone else programs in. They have a tendency to come across as impossibly quaint and sheltered. The more time I spend studying them the more certain I am that both have written themselves into extinction patterns. The languages are good, but the communities may be unfixable.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
There is a large amount of APL users who are not professional programmers, and may not even think of themselves a programmers. To them, an APL environment like Dyalog is more of a immensely powerful calculator. If these people are led away by other tools like Matlab, R, or Julia, they will not be replaced. I'm not even sure how much their numbers are replaced. Most APL programmers I encounter are middle-aged or older.

I think one problem is that APL proper is just too drat big. It's very C++-ish in that it has undergone several spurts of growth, and not all have been pretty. There is a reason for the size of the Dyalog APL reference manual. K may be better in this regard.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

travelling wave posted:

gross

iot vendors treating security as an afterthought is what "caused" it. the openness of a system is irrelevant if you can login with admin/admin creds
Uh that's the point? The devices were so wide open that they got hacked by russkies

IJ the tendencies you mention are extreme in that group but they're not unique to it. i've seen them wherever EEs try to be authorities on software. it's as if they think software is just a playground for people who aren't as smart enough to make chips & boards

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
By what standards of what makes a programming language good are Forth and APL any good?