Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I didn't see this in here yet: guy sold his wife's daily driver to buy and convert a (evidently nonrunning) 1967 Econoline into a camper:

http://imgur.com/gallery/sg9FF

xposted to BWM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

NancyPants posted:

I didn't see this in here yet: guy sold his wife's daily driver to buy and convert a (evidently nonrunning) 1967 Econoline into a camper:

xposted to BWM

I was down with this until I saw the chicken wire bondo and then it just went downhill from there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This guy tried.

:chloe: http://imgur.com/gallery/nXJem

He says the girl liked it (or pretended to) though so I guess it's okay.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

NancyPants posted:

xposted to BWM

What a poo poo job. I imagine what his home repairs are like. Probably using garden hose to repair copper pipes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

This guy tried.

Sentimental value trumps intrinsic for these things.

Wouldn't recommend an opal though, they're a bit delicate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NancyPants posted:

Read the comments:

"I hope you gave her your car"
"Yeah, I gave her my lease. I'm romantic AF"

super romantic. Hey honey, thanks for the toy, here's some fuckin debt in exchange

Tunicate posted:

Sentimental value trumps intrinsic for these things.

Wouldn't recommend an opal though, they're a bit delicate.

Yeah, for sure, but like...couldn't he have even polished it a little more? The basic shape isn't bad but the surface finish is pretty awful.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, for sure, but like...couldn't he have even polished it a little more? The basic shape isn't bad but the surface finish is pretty awful.

Well, now he has some new experience, is not as if he can't redo it at some later time; he could even recycle the same materials.

"Honey my love for you had grown everyday and I would love to show that by recasting your ring into a new shape."

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

NancyPants posted:

xposted to BWM

same idea but done insanely well, and with unbelievable custom metalwork.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3336130

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao that loving ring

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can't really respect the final product, but I can respect the effort. Jewelry is hard to do well. I'm not sure I would want my first attempt to be the one I use for a proposal though.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't really respect the final product, but I can respect the effort. Jewelry is hard to do well. I'm not sure I would want my first attempt to be the one I use for a proposal though.

That's what gets me. Why wouldn't you take a class or get some help from a silversmith.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I hope that in return, she knits him an itchy misshapen sweater that he has to wear every day of his life. It's because she loves him obv

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The biggest problem was the basic idea of making the ring look like a twig by casting a twig. He started out at a super high difficulty because of that. If he'd just chosen a simple shape with smooth surfaces to begin with, his cast might not have been perfect but it would at least not have looked like something a kindergartner sculpted out of play-doh.

The fragile stone and the way he set it are secondary issues, and the total lack of experience also ensured it would never look like a professional job.

Oh well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He chose the worst way to go about it with a lack of skill and 0 clues, and used the two least hosed up casts.

It's metal you can melt it down and try again

Even then poo poo like this is deliberately designed and sculpted from wax not casting wax twigs and bending them into shape arhghghbjbphpphphp

Sorry, was trained as a jeweler...

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

He chose the worst way to go about it with a lack of skill and 0 clues, and used the two least hosed up casts.

It's metal you can melt it down and try again

Even then poo poo like this is deliberately designed and sculpted from wax not casting wax twigs and bending them into shape arhghghbjbphpphphp

Sorry, was trained as a jeweler...

But it's organic! Reminds me of a mean old art prof. I used to have that would tell students ( ____) isn't a substitute for skill if they tried to claim something was supposed to be abstract, or found object, or whatever when it was really just half-assed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

there wolf posted:

But it's organic! Reminds me of a mean old art prof. I used to have that would tell students ( ____) isn't a substitute for skill if they tried to claim something was supposed to be abstract, or found object, or whatever when it was really just half-assed.

Like claiming "that's just my style" when you don't know how to draw.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

My style is a critical level of self loathing, no desire to improve, and a viscous sense of entitlement that demands you agree that I'm still the best.

-- Every Other Art Student Ever

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

A friend quit showing me his writing when I kept correcting his grammar and spelling. He claimed it was just his style and he was raw like Hunter S Thompson. Has anyone with a self appointed style ever not sucked?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Atticus_1354 posted:

A friend quit showing me his writing when I kept correcting his grammar and spelling. He claimed it was just his style and he was raw like Hunter S Thompson. Has anyone with a self appointed style ever not sucked?

Hunter s Thompson?

I mean the man still wrote following rules of English writing, but definitely created a unique style.

There's plenty of creators with extremely unique styles, but they TYPICALLY have a strong foundation of the basics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

There's plenty of creators with extremely unique styles, but they TYPICALLY have a strong foundation of the basics.

Yes. You can't break the rules until you know what they are.

Picasso was a brilliant technical draftsman and talented realist painter before he started to develop Cubism, and the only reason Cubism works is because it's a conscious artistic development based in the real laws of perspective, foreshortening, etc.

See also: people who want to become manga artists so they start by drawing anime characters instead of learning anatomy and drawing real people, and it all looks like garbage because they are imitating a style instead of stylizing reality.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 20, 2016

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Hunter s Thompson?

I mean the man still wrote following rules of English writing, but definitely created a unique style.

That's what I told him. Also that Hunter S Thompson had an interesting life which made his stories more interesting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Yes. You can't break the rules until you know what they are.

See also: people who want to become manga artists so they start by drawing anime characters and it all looks like garbage because they are imitating a style instead of stylizing reality.

E.g., my brother. My wife is an artist, she tried to encourage him by buying him real figure drawing references (Hogarth, etc.) but no dice. Now he mostly draws battlemechs, which are marginally better because he has sort of figured out perspective, but still not great.

It's dunning-kruger, of course. Learning fundamentals is hard work especially if the exercises aren't in your interest area, but hey guess what it turns out art is actually loving hard.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leperflesh posted:

It's dunning-kruger, of course. Learning fundamentals is hard work especially if the exercises aren't in your interest area, but hey guess what it turns out art is actually loving hard.

It's terrible because the arts are actually very technical but popular culture makes any non-engineering field seem like they're solely about creativity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just want to know how, HOW anyone would take the ridiculous leap of casting actual twigs when those styles are clearly carved stylized twigs.

End result:

:laffo:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I just want to know how, HOW anyone would take the ridiculous leap of casting actual twigs when those styles are clearly carved stylized twigs.

Because, he clearly thought up a brilliant way to shortcut carving twigs while having no carving skill at all! It's a wonder actual jewelers don't do it this way, it's so much easier!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

This guy tried.

That's not from scratch. THIS is from scratch (although the final outcome is still pretty amateurish but in a more charming way, if that makes sense?)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

That's not from scratch. THIS is from scratch (although the final outcome is still pretty amateurish but in a more charming way, if that makes sense?)

He dug his own drat MINE. For FUN. He is more then charming, he's a god damned hero. He also mined, refined, and smelted it all himself. His channel is very entertaining.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everybody loving stop what they're doing, and watch Cody's Lab. If you're not dead by then, watch This Old Tony. Learn some poo poo outside of your comfort zone!

(also if you still want more, Clickspring and AvE have you covered)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Engagement Ring of Theseus: the ring broke so Cody re-cast it with a bit more silver, added copper to strengthen it (sterling silver vs fine), and added more gold to the bead that they panned in Alaska over the summer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

Engagement Ring of Theseus: the ring broke so Cody re-cast it with a bit more silver, added copper to strengthen it (sterling silver vs fine), and added more gold to the bead that they panned in Alaska over the summer.

The original material is all still there, though. A key aspect of the paradox is that the worn‐out parts were retained so they could be assembled into a second complete ship.

This is more like if the Ship of Theseus got some sick aftermarket mods.

The recasting does raise a good question, though: are the Nobel medals of Max von Laue and James Franck the same 1914 and 1925? If casting violates the continuity of an object, does forging?

If I take a LEGO boat apart, then put all the blocks back together in exactly the same way, is it the same boat? What if I swap two identical bricks?

bend
Dec 31, 2012
Codys lab is good poo poo, I encourage everyone to watch his vids. loving inspirational for a prospector and occasional surface miner like myself in any case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

If I take a LEGO boat apart, then put all the blocks back together in exactly the same way, is it the same boat? What if I swap two identical bricks?

yes, in the same way that if I take my car apart and put it all back together, it remains the same car, even if I rotate the tires.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

yes, in the same way that if I take my car apart and put it all back together, it remains the same car, even if I rotate the tires.

What if you melted all the legos and then cast new legos from that plastic, of the same type and number, and then built the boat again?

What if you used all of the same legos, but built a boat of a different design... one designed by a different person than the first?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

The original material is all still there, though. A key aspect of the paradox is that the worn-out parts were retained so they could be assembled into a second complete ship.

This is more like if the Ship of Theseus got some sick aftermarket mods.

Right, right.
:bang:

quote:

The recasting does raise a good question, though: are the Nobel medals of Max von Laue and James Franck the same 1914 and 1925? If casting violates the continuity of an object, does forging?

That came to mind as he was dissolving the silver to separate the metals.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Everybody loving stop what they're doing, and watch Cody's Lab. If you're not dead by then, watch This Old Tony. Learn some poo poo outside of your comfort zone!

(also if you still want more, Clickspring and AvE have you covered)
Youtube is blocked at work. :( Is Cody's Lab the same guy who made a chicken sandwich from scratch?

Also seconding Clickspring, although it makes me feel inadequate because I know I would never have the patience to do all that fiddly detailing even if I had the time, skill and equipment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For reference in that video he took rocks out of a mine. Crushed them. Roasted them to get the lead out. Refuned the lead to separate the silver from it. Cast the silver into a ring set with a gold bead that he and his girlfriend made from gold they panned from a stream. Also it didnt look like poo poo.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is actually a really complicated question because there is a whole world of naive art, and plenty of people will tell you that formal training can have a limiting effect on what people are willing to try. I brought up that prof. quote because it aims at effort more than a set list of technical skills which may or may not be applicable depending on the product. Folk art or fine, you practice, you hone skills, you do testers, you make multiple versions so you can pick the best one. Ring dude should have looked at the product of his first casting, and gone back to make better wax forms because the ones he had were obviously poo poo and a good product was not forthcoming.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Everybody loving stop what they're doing, and watch Cody's Lab.

We could take bets on what Cody will die of first.

Crushing injuries when the abandoned mine on his property collapses on him?
Heavy metal poisoning from all the mercury (and probably arsenic and who knows what else) he handles?
Cyanide or some other chemical poising?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

We could take bets on what Cody will die of first.

Crushing injuries when the abandoned mine on his property collapses on him?
Heavy metal poisoning from all the mercury (and probably arsenic and who knows what else) he handles?
Cyanide or some other chemical poising?

I'm going with asphyxiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
House fire from those electric smelters frying the wiring.