Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Nucular Carmul posted:

(had a Fomantis paralyzed and at 1 HP with an Adrenaline Orb active False Swiping it for 15 turns and he wouldn't even try to summon)

Found the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I am really sad that I can't use pyukumuku for anything. They gave it the really neat inside-fist but gave it literally no punching moves; what were they thinking?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Glad to see that someone wants to built the Jurassic Park of Pokemon

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Considerably less likely to call for help when inflicted with a status condition :(

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Geez that Clefable.

If I hadn't got a lucky friendship crit with Decidueye it could have easily walled my team to death.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What are some useful websites for catching Pokemon and whatnot?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Vegetable posted:

What are some useful websites for catching Pokemon and whatnot?

Serebii is the big one

There's also Bulbapedia but I don't use that one as much. I'd also recommend joining the PokeGoon Discord in the OP because there's tons of good info and QR codes pinned to the general chat.

In other news, about to battle Olivia. I don't want to because she is my waifu but some things need to be done.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

endolithic posted:

Where does the phrase "chicken skin" come from? I assume it means goosebumps, but I've never heard it before and it's kinda funny.

Chinese and Vietnamese both use that phrase rather than goose bumps, per Wikipedia; Japanese uses 'bird skin' instead.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So when you're SOS chaining do you have to knock out the old pokemon and let the new one call for help? I've been trying to find an Umbreon and haven't had any luck after knocking out dozens of Eevees, but I'm knocking out the ones that get called to help.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh my god the Thrifty Megamart

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

So when you're SOS chaining do you have to knock out the old pokemon and let the new one call for help? I've been trying to find an Umbreon and haven't had any luck after knocking out dozens of Eevees, but I'm knocking out the ones that get called to help.

Ok this eventually worked but it took over an hour. It may have actually been better to just evolve one normally. But I may have just been really unlucky, I dunno.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
aww, does the pokemon trainers not have their own theme songs? that sucks.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've not seriously played a Pokemon game since Gold so I got questions:

Last I remember your pokemon stats grew depending on what they did (get hit a lot get Def, use regular attacks get Atk etc), is that still the case? I remember Rare Candies being traps because of that fact since you ending up raising the level but gimping the stats. So is exp share bad since it levels Pokemon without them fighting?

Have they added features (like, move stats around or something, I dunno) which let you make 'optimal' Pokemon without having to spend endless hours looking for the right nature/IVs/whatever then levelling them in incredibly specific ways? Would like to try battling online at some point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I am part of the problem because I do nothing but wondertrade the endless parade of youngoose, wingulls and meowths I keep getting from wondertrading my original wingull

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Calaveron posted:

I am part of the problem because I do nothing but wondertrade the endless parade of youngoose, wingulls and meowths I keep getting from wondertrading my original wingull

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Pierson posted:

Last I remember your pokemon stats grew depending on what they did (get hit a lot get Def, use regular attacks get Atk etc), is that still the case? I remember Rare Candies being traps because of that fact since you ending up raising the level but gimping the stats. So is exp share bad since it levels Pokemon without them fighting?

you're thinking of ev's and that isn't even close to how that system functions

ev's, natures, and iv's don't matter in-game

exp. share shares ev's with the whole team as well as just making the entire game much much easier since it creates free experience out of thin air for your team

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I keep wondertrading nice poo poo and getting Ledybas and Yungooses. I am the boddhavista of wondertrade.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Is there a way to play this game and avoid making it stupidly easy like X and Y were? Avoid using the XP Share? Something else?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Is there a way to play this game and avoid making it stupidly easy like X and Y were? Avoid using the XP Share? Something else?

I've been using the exp share extremely sparingly and I've come very close to wiping like 6-7 times

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
When do trainers start getting more than one weak-rear end pokemon
And does the rival ever stop being incredibly annoying and lovely

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Ruggington posted:

I've been using the exp share extremely sparingly and I've come very close to wiping like 6-7 times

I just feel like its "harder" because you get tired of grinding and try to see if you can slip past without more grinding.

drat these stupid 6 year olds who play this extremely intricate and complex game. Tired of them being catered too.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Oh man, the defeat poses for trainers make this game 10/10.

Lost to Hue on island 3, man I did not realize my whole team had nothing that could deal with his first 'mon.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Pierson posted:

Have they added features (like, move stats around or something, I dunno) which let you make 'optimal' Pokemon without having to spend endless hours looking for the right nature/IVs/whatever then levelling them in incredibly specific ways? Would like to try battling online at some point.

- doesn't matter very much for the main quest
- you can't permanently screw up a pokemon by neglecting its EVs (the name for the per-stat experience points), there are ways to modify them without battling and there are ways to reset them
- use the exp share if you feel like it and stop worrying
- for "optimal" pokemon, you basically only need to worry about nature and whether the mon has its hidden ability or not; everything else is fixable if you know how (ok, for some mons there is also hidden power type and zero-IV stats, but those are more detailed things, don't worry about them right now)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

TheLightPurges posted:

I just feel like its "harder" because you get tired of grinding and try to see if you can slip past without more grinding.

drat these stupid 6 year olds who play this extremely intricate and complex game. Tired of them being catered too.

the only grinding I've done has been to get zydog up to speed with the rest of my team after I realized I could get him far too late

scaling experience has kept my team on par with trainers and lower than major encounters and it's very good

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
that little kid with the bonsly hosed up my litten, which was unexpected.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I caught a litwick via Island Search and was impressed that it already knew Fire Spin, since in my experience Fire Spin is like the last move a lot of fire types learn and in the anime it was Charizard's strongest move, but today I learned that Litwick learns it at level 7 everything I knew was wrong

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fire spin is kind of garbo but Bach in the day it was pretty much the JRPG version of an infinite combo so it made sense to be the best fire move.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm about to fight my first trial in that cave and I still haven't found any Pokemon that I really want to use yet. Sucks that all the cool stuff often come mid to late game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Good answers, thanks duders.

Hammerite posted:

- for "optimal" pokemon, you basically only need to worry about nature and whether the mon has its hidden ability or not; everything else is fixable if you know how (ok, for some mons there is also hidden power type and zero-IV stats, but those are more detailed things, don't worry about them right now)
Aight that's what I was mainly hoping for.

Now to get back to ignoring everything but which Pokemon look coolest and wil be my friend (it's still Eevee).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Man, this game is unreasonably stacked with babes. Hello Olivia :eyepop:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

I keep wondertrading nice poo poo and getting Ledybas and Yungooses. I am the boddhavista of wondertrade.

Wonder trade is like my favorite part of the game. I throw something into the void, someone gets something cool and then I get another pikipek that I have to pawn off 5x before I get something cool myself. :downs:

I feel like I'm playing Pokémon partially wrong as an adult - I'm not interested in competitive battling so I'm playing it like I played yellow the first time around as a little kid. This move doesn't do damage? Pfft replace it with something that does. Pokemon doesn't add anything to the existing party? Uh yeah it does, it looks awesome. I think my goal will be to collect a bunch of pokemon and try breeding for a shiny or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Exp Share is a lot better balanced in this than X/Y and won't make you a god for using it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm wonder trading a bunch of Popplio named Goku and a lot of Eevee's named Vegeta

I don't even know anymore.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
When can you do Poke Pelago? I got to the second island and a shopkeep said I should try it out, but I haven't seen how to do it.

Nessa posted:

Mudbray is a good little donkey. Mine one shotted the fire totem Pokemon. She kept getting muddy after using Bulldozes, so she absolutely loves me. She's a Mudsdale now.

Does it have Stamina as an ability?

It has the other ability, sadly. :(

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

When can you do Poke Pelago? I got to the second island and a shopkeep said I should try it out, but I haven't seen how to do it.

It has the other ability, sadly. :(

As soon as you can Fly.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

When you get the ability to ride Charizard, it'll be on the second page of your menu (same page as the amie stuff).

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Oh. Well it's dumb that they tell me to go do a thing I can't do then!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Are SOS calls disproportionately skewed to being male or something because I just spent half a loving hour chaining the same salandit (which is a huge pain, thanks dragon rage) and not a single replacement was female, and the last replacement after the original struggled itself to death didn't feel like calling for help anymore in 10+ turns so I just knocked it out. Is this just poo poo luck or is it coded to only spit out dudes in SOS battles?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Cicadas! posted:

Are SOS calls disproportionately skewed to being male or something because I just spent half a loving hour chaining the same salandit (which is a huge pain, thanks dragon rage) and not a single replacement was female, and the last replacement after the original struggled itself to death didn't feel like calling for help anymore in 10+ turns so I just knocked it out. Is this just poo poo luck or is it coded to only spit out dudes in SOS battles?

Salandit is skewed towards male, because gently caress you, Vespiquen totally needed to happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
Does anyone remember where the npc is who lets you switch throwing styles?