Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

At what point do mandatory conversion therapy fun camps become a real possibility? I'm guessing the LGBT registry will come first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Save time and put them in schools.

Every school councillor now has a large metal cage to hold all deviant deviant students.

Image of actual cage used in Australian school*

* don't worry, it's only for containing the mentally handicapped.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The UN general assembly is expected to vote tomorrow on a hostile resolution tabled by the African group to suspend the activities of Vitit Muntarbhorn, the UN's first Independent Expert on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity appointed at the end of September tasked by the United Nations Human Rights Council to investigate violence and discrimination targeting LGBTI people worldwide. They are seeking to indefinitely delay his work from commencing and are challenging the legality of his mandate, essentially arguing that focusing on LGBTI rights distracts from other forms of discrimination and that they have no place in the conventional international human rights framework and the mandate to investigate LGBTI discrimination represents a breach of their national sovereignty.

The vote has been delayed for a bit as furious negotiations have been taking place behind the scenes. Latin America, the US and EU all oppose the resolution but there are indications China and India will be voting in favour. The vote is expected to be extremely tight and could possibly pass, South Africa has surprised a lot of people by supporting the move.

Not good times

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 20, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

The vote has been delayed for a bit as furious negotiations have been taking place behind the scenes. Latin America, the US and EU all oppose the resolution but there are indications China and India will be voting in favour. The vote is expected to be extremely tight and could possibly pass, South Africa has surprised a lot of people by supporting the move.

Not good times

WTF is South Africa up to? I know the ANC has slid into the crazytown of the one-party state, but this on top of pulling out of the ICC is bizarre considering they used to be so gung-ho about multilateralism.

(I ask this as a non-expert about South African politics.)

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Combed Thunderclap posted:

WTF is South Africa up to? I know the ANC has slid into the crazytown of the one-party state, but this on top of pulling out of the ICC is bizarre considering they used to be so gung-ho about multilateralism.

(I ask this as a non-expert about South African politics.)

They are trying to maintain their regional political primacy basically, rather than going out on a limb against general sentiment from other African nations they are towing the line so as not to alienate allies and maintain their standing on the continent. Nigeria and South Africa have been having a bit of a regional political struggle over who can lay the claim to be Africa's "leader" since the Nigerian economy overtook South Africa in 2014 and foreign countries began to take an increasing interest in Nigeria what with their important position in combating West African jihadist groups, South Africa is feeling a bit undermined essentially and it has a bit of a reputation for being condescending to other African nations so consider these moves an attempt to strengthen bridges to maintain their influence

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 20, 2016

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
I posed this in the RWM thread as well, but I think it is relevant enough to warrant a crosspost here.

Prester Jane posted:

So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.

• A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves.

• A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US.

• A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.)

• One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.

Edit: Added the text I meant to crosspost.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 20, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Posted what?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Prester Jane posted:

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.

Burn these people to the goddamned ground.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:yikes: Welp holy poo poo. We should do an expose on this.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

They are trying to maintain their regional political primacy basically,

Much thanks for your insights.

Also the evangelicals finally getting their dream of a religiously segregated school system is a waaaay too plausible nightmare :magical:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

I posed this in the RWM thread as well, but I think it is relevant enough to warrant a crosspost here.

God, this sounds scary :(

Have to say I'm glad I don't live in the US right now, hope the best for all of you over there.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
For those who have not read my thread, this video is an actual advertisement for A.C.E. This is what they think makes parents *want* to put their children in A.C.E.

Warning! The abyss WILL gaze back into you if you watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUw4iWepk0

And this is a video of British activist going through what is supposed to be a 9th grade (year 10 in the British system) history textbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_2tCMlHEBI

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 20, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bad news, the probably next French president, François Fillon, isn't exactly LGBT friendly, he's a social conservative, voted against gay marriage, and wants to restrict adoption rights available to same-sex couples.

Don't think he's going to ban same-sex marriage or anything, but there's probably won't be much progess in the next five years.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Bad news, the probably next French president, François Fillon, isn't exactly LGBT friendly, he's a social conservative, voted against gay marriage, and wants to restrict adoption rights available to same-sex couples.

Don't think he's going to ban same-sex marriage or anything, but there's probably won't be much progess in the next five years.

On the bright side, Fillon is now the favorite because Sarkozy flamed out of Les Républicains' primary; Sarko went so far as to promise to ban gay marriage and then dropped that promise only this January. Now we can just cross our fingers that the far-right FN doesn't get into power (I don't think they will but it's possible my faith is misplaced).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Combed Thunderclap posted:

(I don't think they will but it's possible my faith is misplaced).

Oh you sweet summer child. Let me tell you about a little man named President-elect Trump.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Oh you sweet summer child. Let me tell you about a little man named President-elect Trump.
Let me tell you about the gay people (one of the married to his companion) in the FN leadership and the FN seduction of the gay vote:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/how-marine-le-pen-is-winning-frances-gay-vote/
It's still a party also full of homophobes, sure. It's just not their discourse.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's a weird spot where Le Pen tries to appeal to gay voters whereas Fillon is after the homophobic vote

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

A blocking amendment to protect the UN expert on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity from suspension was successful (by just 7 votes mind). Turned out reports that South Africa would back the motion were erroneous and a clutch of other nations where convinced to abstain.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HoudartUN/status/800745544029126656

A welcome victory for the advancement of LGBTI rights

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A blocking amendment to protect the UN expert on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity from suspension was successful (by just 7 votes mind). Turned out reports that South Africa would back the motion were erroneous and a clutch of other nations where convinced to abstain.

And a terrifying proof of the ebbing power of the "liberal consensus" of the last eight years. Time will tell whether the right-wing wave becomes more powerful or if this is its high water mark, but a lot of the things we've taken for granted as victories over the last decade or so are going to be on the chopping block regardless.

Toplowtech posted:

Let me tell you about the gay people (one of the married to his companion) in the FN leadership and the FN seduction of the gay vote:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/how-marine-le-pen-is-winning-frances-gay-vote/
It's still a party also full of homophobes, sure. It's just not their discourse.

Milo Y would fit right in! This is just proof that the Republican Party is actively shooting itself in the foot with its anti-gay, anti-minority rhetoric; there's a portion of each population that would love to vote Republican if they'd just make like the FN and be subtle about their bigotry.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Thank god, I couldn't bear another backpedal.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Holy poo poo how could I not have seen it

Trump = Frog God = froggies = :france: :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is an idle thought conjured up by my armchair historians fear that America is now approaching the bloody part of the Roman Republic, but why haven't alt right groups tried to adopt the "manly" homosexuality of the Greeks/Romans? It has a white enough pedigree for the shitheads and it still lets them make fun of women and weaker men. Like if they wanted to split off part of the left, it seems opening up to accepting homosexuality on some level is the obvious target, as the tons of examples of LGBT people who would fit in on the right if they didn't have to vote to protect their rights to exist.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Eimi posted:

This is an idle thought conjured up by my armchair historians fear that America is now approaching the bloody part of the Roman Republic, but why haven't alt right groups tried to adopt the "manly" homosexuality of the Greeks/Romans? It has a white enough pedigree for the shitheads and it still lets them make fun of women and weaker men. Like if they wanted to split off part of the left, it seems opening up to accepting homosexuality on some level is the obvious target, as the tons of examples of LGBT people who would fit in on the right if they didn't have to vote to protect their rights to exist.

Because you can't really choose to be gay ? It's just how you are .

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Eimi posted:

The religious right remains an enormous part of the republican coalition. One of the reasons Trump won is because they swallowed any qualms they may have had about electing the manifestation of the whore of Babylon in order to get an antiabortion justice on the Supreme Court. Any attempt to make nice to LGBT people is going to run there The religious right remains an enormous part of the republican coalition. One of the reasons Trump won is because they swallowed any qualms they may have had about electing the manifestation of the whore of Babylon in order to get an antiabortion justice on the Supreme Court. Any attempt to make nice to LGBT people is going to run the risk of alienating them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Eimi posted:

This is an idle thought conjured up by my armchair historians fear that America is now approaching the bloody part of the Roman Republic, but why haven't alt right groups tried to adopt the "manly" homosexuality of the Greeks/Romans?

If they were willing to acknowledge the basic human dignity of people who were like them, but deviated in even relatively minor ways, they wouldn't be such abhorrent shitheads in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eimi posted:

The :nws:Man2Man Alliance:nws: is definitely a thing, but I'm not sure how serious a thing and how it fits into the wider 'manosphere'/alt-right.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Because you can't really choose to be gay ? It's just how you are .

I know, I'm more asking why they don't try and overcome their total anti LGBT stance. Granted it's not stopped them from gaining ground all over the world, but it one of the big things that gets cited as the public moving to accepting LGBT people while they demonize us. I guess it was just a stupid thought exercise really.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Eimi posted:

I know, I'm more asking why they don't try and overcome their total anti LGBT stance. Granted it's not stopped them from gaining ground all over the world, but it one of the big things that gets cited as the public moving to accepting LGBT people while they demonize us. I guess it was just a stupid thought exercise really.

The "alt-right" has a really poorly defined ideology outside of nationalism and hatred of immigration. Some people who call themselves "alt-right" are literal Nazis who want to bring back concentration camps for gays while others wear "gays for Trump" shirts to rallies. Using "pro-gay" arguments as a wedge to support anti-Muslim policies is a common alt-right tactic for example, they probably don't actually give a poo poo about gays but they don't view them as a top priority like traditional conservatives do.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 23, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

It's really because the olds wouldn't be o.k. with it, and they still run most of the GOP. If it were up to young conservatives, they would gladly declare the war over with marriage rights and open their arms to self-loathing gays like Milo, eager to prove their anti-PC chops by making GBS threads on women and minorities just like their straight bros.

Sorry, you were specifically talking about the alt-right, not conservatism in general. The alt-right doesn't really care about gays, but they have an extreme dislike of PC culture and anything associated with liberalism which puts them in conflict with a lot of LGTBQIA issues. The self-loathing types I mentioned above are welcome in the alt-right as long as they spew the right poo poo, and embrace being called "human being" because it's just a word, man.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

In reference to Prester Jane's speculations about the infiltration of American education by the absolute worst of the creepy cultish religious right under Trump, well...

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/801147316296159232

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Eimi posted:

The concept of manly homosexuality is kind of dead as far as the right is concerned. Despite the idea of gays all being sissies being really new in the scheme of things it's just how most modern folks see things and it'd be a very hard sell.

Unrelated but came across this:
TX Lawmaker Wants To Force Schools To Out LGBT Students To Parents

quote:

Texas tea party state Sen. Konni Burton (pictured with Sen. Ted Cruz) has filed legislation that would effectively require public school employees to out LGBT students to their parents.

Under Burton's Senate Bill 242, teachers and other school employees who fail to disclose a student's sexual orientation or gender identity to parents could face discipline, even if the student requests that the information be withheld.

If passed, SB 242 would place LGBT youth in the conservative state at risk for abuse, neglect or suicide if their parents aren't accepting. It could even expose them to the dangerous, discredited practice of "reparative therapy," which happens to be endorsed in the Texas GOP platform.

Burton, a Republican from Fort Worth, said on her website Thursday that she drafted SB 242 in response to transgender guidelines adopted by the Fort Worth school district earlier this year. As originally written, the Fort Worth guidelines barred faculty and staff from disclosing a student's transgender status to parents. However, following a hateful campaign by Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, the school district revised the guidelines, eliminating the prohibition on parental notification.

Burton, a Patrick ally who also opposed the guidelines, said in response to the Fort Worth controversy, she decided to review state law governing parents' access to information from public schools.

"We found these provisions in desperate need of clarity and expansion," Burton wrote. "That is why I am planning to file a bill that rewrites these provisions to make it unequivocally clear that a parent has a right to full and total information on their child’s academic performance, physical, mental and emotional health, and more. Further, my legislation will make it expressly against state law for a district to adopt policies designed to undermine a parent’s right to know. No parent in Texas should ever have to fight for the basic right to matter in their child’s life again."

Burton couldn't immediately be reached for further comment.

Under SB 242, parents would be entitled to "any general knowledge regarding the parent's child possessed by an employee of the district." Parents would also have access to all written records "relating to the child’s general physical, psychological or emotional well-being."

Burton's bill is among dozens of anti-LGBT measures expected to be considered by the Texas Legislature when it convenes in January. On Monday, Sen. Bob Hall filed a bill that would nullify nondiscrimination ordinances covering roughly 9 million Texans, or one-third of the state's population.

loving Texas.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

gently caress them. I'm assuming that's going to just pass through right? :smith:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Eimi posted:

gently caress them. I'm assuming that's going to just pass through right? :smith:

It's still November, so I think we're still in the phase where the legislators (of all parties) throw out their dumbest, can't pass ideas so that they can show their voters that they're representing their interests. So mostly posturing.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Quorum posted:

In reference to Prester Jane's speculations about the infiltration of American education by the absolute worst of the creepy cultish religious right under Trump, well...

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/801147316296159232
I'm sure Internet Atheist crowd that pulled for Trump as hard as they could will be delighted.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Forgall posted:

I'm sure Internet Atheist crowd that pulled for Trump as hard as they could will be delighted.

Internet Atheists love making GBS threads on women more than they hate bible-thumpers and never let them tell you otherwise.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
New York State is considering the Prevention of Emotional Neglect and Childhood Endangerment Act that would ban conversion therapy for minors.

some good progress in new york :toot:

and A+ acronym choice for the bill's name

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Instant Sunrise posted:

and A+ acronym choice for the bill's name

OK that is really quite clever.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Forgall posted:

Good news, instead of Falwell he went with Mrs. Voucherize the Entirety of Detroit! The Internet atheists love school choice, as it allows them to use public money to send their kids to schools with no black kids. Or they would, if they had kids. Plus, in all of the states where that's actually going to happen, the amount of regulation there will be is approximately zero, so who can say "public money for Accelerated Christian Education," kids?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Quorum posted:

Good news, instead of Falwell he went with Mrs. Voucherize the Entirety of Detroit! The Internet atheists love school choice, as it allows them to use public money to send their kids to schools with no black kids. Or they would, if they had kids. Plus, in all of the states where that's actually going to happen, the amount of regulation there will be is approximately zero, so who can say "public money for Accelerated Christian Education," kids?

Ungh. The last time I thought closet nazi's had seized control of our government the meds took that away, (God bless you Geodon) but for some unknown reason not so much this time.

This is just a bit of gallows humor, I am fine. For me best way to confront the abyss is to find something to laugh about and just laugh in its face no matter how you actually feel. If you can do that, sometimes even the abyss will hesitate for a moment.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well I've got a bit of good news,

In Austria Norbert Hofer the leader of Austria's far right (it was founded by Nazi's and SS officers were its first leaders) has lost the Presidential election. The post is largely ceremonial but it will still be a national post and a sign of the FPO's strength. Unsurprisingly in addition to being an unpleasant fellow all round Hofer was rather homophobic. His opponent the victor, Van der Bellen is a moderate centrist and does support same sex marriage and adoption.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38202669

Also in Gambia (sorry The Gambia) Yahya Jammeh a man who once bragged that he would personally slit the throat of every homosexual in his country has been defeated in the Presidential elections. The new president Adama Barrow probably want be friendly to the LGBT Gambians, but he has already realesed political prisoners and pledged to join the Commonwealth and the International Criminal Court and dismantle Jammeh's authoritarian structures, so it should have some background improvement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ht746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The Cherokee Nation will now formally recognize same sex marriages.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...29c4ca126a.html

quote:

While a tribal court recently avoided ruling on the issue, the Cherokee Nation will begin recognizing same-sex marriages under an opinion issued Friday by the tribe’s attorney general, who said that Cherokees practiced something similar to gay marriage in past centuries.

While agreeing that the tribe, as a sovereign nation itself, was not bound by the 2015 U.S. Supreme Court decision that made gay marriage legal in all 50 states, Todd Hembree echoed the court’s reasoning, deciding that the tribe’s own constitution “protects the fundamental right to marry” regardless of the genders involved in the relationship.

That decision effectively nullifies a law the Cherokee Nation enacted in 2004 to specify that marriages recognized by the tribe had to be between a man and woman.

• Locked thread