Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

darth_pizza posted:

Personally, I think Keith is amazing. Some people dislike his style but it's straight out of Network and that's rad.

That's why I don't like him, it comes off as rehearsed and insincere like he's just playing a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Republicans posted:

That's why I don't like him, it comes off as rehearsed and insincere like he's just playing a character.

I don't think rehearsed or scripted is in any way a bad thing, but then again i'm an armchair leftist who enjoys Aaron Sorkin shows, so he's right up my proverbial alley.

and by alley i mean rear window

and by rear window i mean back door

and by back door i mean my rump

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Macys posted:

To be honest, in this age of mergers and consolidation, I figured by this point that the big Networks outright owned their affiliate stations (the same way corporate radio took over), and that they (as employees) had no say in the matter.

For obvious reasons, TV networks aren't interested in spending billions to buy out all of their current affiliates, even if it were allowed.

Also it's always funny when people complain "corporate radio took over" when about 95% of radio's history in the US was under the domination of national radio corporations. Networked radio in the same way as network TV was in charge from the late 20s to the late 50s, and then most of those moved more or less seamlessly into successor networks that were more heavily focused on music. At certain points in time in the 30s and 40s, as much as 1/2 of all the stations in the country would be putting out the same program, and most of the other half would only have 2 or 3 programs airing across them.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

darth_pizza posted:

Personally, I think Keith is amazing. Some people dislike his style but it's straight out of Network and that's rad.

Here's my suggestion : Chapo Trap House TV. The "dirtbag left" needs their own channel too. http://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/what-will-become-of-the-dirtbag-left

I'm more in favor the dirtbag left than ever before. All the nagging criticisms that might've rung true for me before have all been washed away in the purity of Trump's horror.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

darth_pizza posted:

I don't think rehearsed or scripted is in any way a bad thing, but then again i'm an armchair leftist who enjoys Aaron Sorkin shows, so he's right up my proverbial alley.

and by alley i mean rear window

and by rear window i mean back door

and by back door i mean my rump

Yeah, I think Aaron Sorkin is lame as hell so there you go.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fishmech posted:

For obvious reasons, TV networks aren't interested in spending billions to buy out all of their current affiliates, even if it were allowed.

Also it's always funny when people complain "corporate radio took over" when about 95% of radio's history in the US was under the domination of national radio corporations. Networked radio in the same way as network TV was in charge from the late 20s to the late 50s, and then most of those moved more or less seamlessly into successor networks that were more heavily focused on music. At certain points in time in the 30s and 40s, as much as 1/2 of all the stations in the country would be putting out the same program, and most of the other half would only have 2 or 3 programs airing across them.

I was under the impression that there were more independent radio stations in the past, and they are the ones that had been acquired and basically EA'd into irrelevance.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Macys posted:

I was under the impression that there were more independent radio stations in the past, and they are the ones that had been acquired and basically EA'd into irrelevance.

Kind of sort of in a way but that was also when payola existed so they were really controlled by the recording industry. College radio stations also existed (and still do) in pretty big numbers but what matters is really the overall listenership. Like yeah public access TV and public access radio ultimately exist but they tend to be ignored.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm more in favor the dirtbag left than ever before. All the nagging criticisms that might've rung true for me before have all been washed away in the purity of Trump's horror.

I feel like all my past criticisms are still trye, but the fool was me all along for thinking for even a second that anything mattered

Cena/Warren 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

A Navy SEAL Marine (I haven't seen his movies) for President? Man, I wonder how far that would go for the military vote... :haw:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 19, 2016

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like all my past criticisms are still trye, but the fool was me all along for thinking for even a second that anything mattered

Cena/Warren 2020

Make this the national anthem and I'll devote every second I have to the campaign.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Chilichimp posted:

Watch Colbert on TV, not Youtubes.

His ratings are down and his opening monologue is going to be one of the only things that gets us through the next four years. If "the right" is allowed to boycott him off the air, we're all less for it.

They can't tell if you're watching OTA if you aren't a Nielsen house, but yeah people should totally support him. He's been doing great content-wise, lately.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Make this the national anthem and I'll devote every second I have to the campaign.

I always preferred "Basic Thuganomics" his first theme, back when he was a nothing heel feuding with Lesnar.

I thought Rock was the one running in 2020 though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mister Macys posted:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Kind of sort of in a way but that was also when payola existed so they were really controlled by the recording industry. College radio stations also existed (and still do) in pretty big numbers but what matters is really the overall listenership. Like yeah public access TV and public access radio ultimately exist but they tend to be ignored.
I mean, the heyday of Payola was the 1950s, where it was as much collusion to keep black music and black-ish sounding scary ROCK N ROLL off of our nation's airwaves.

There were congressional hearings in the early 1960s and it was officially made illegal and there were restrictions put in place that gave more control to program directors than individual DJs, which really just meant there was just one person you had to bribe/influence to play your song rather than several at each station. As the record labels consolidated, it was easier and easier for some marketing guy to basically go "if you want [big star] to be on your station or play your festival, make sure you play the poo poo out of [lesser act on same label] which came to a head with a second round of Congressional hearings in the 1980s.

The real nail in the coffin of "independent radio" and honestly radio in general as a thing that matters (though technology progressing helped nothing) was the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which had a bunch of direct influence in shaping what our cellular phone industry looks like, loosened restrictions of how much cross-media ownership could exist in a single market, and also had a provision that gave the FCC a blank check to "review" policies on the regular, which meant that after Bush got elected in 2000, guess what? They decided to loosen those restrictions even more, all of which really accelerated companies like Clear Channel, Cumulus, SInclair and others buying up every possible station they could across the country, often several in the same market. Clear Channel alone (now iHeartMedia) owns 850 stations nationwide (at one point it was over 1,000 before they shut down some in markets they already had stations in). They also owned a bunch of concert venues and promotion companies before spinning that off as Live Nation n 2005.

And if you think that owning a ton of radio stations and (formerly) concert venues/promotions led to a shitload of shady "we're going to cut a deal to push this act like crazy on 1,000 stations to sell tickets to 100 shows we are also promoting, sure would be nice if you give us nebulous marketing payments and free stuff, record label" didn't happen, you would be dead wrong. They even got fined by the FCC (for $8000!) for doing so, and were pushed to spin off LiveNation.

Now their thing is cutting deals with record labels to just pay them royalties directly without including BMI/ASCAP into the equation, but at this point I don't actually know anyone who actually listens to pop radio so if they all collude to 'break' Iggy Azalea I'm not even sure who it's hurting anymore, the whole thing is already dead.

Anyway, I am pretty sure a lot of this helped build the right wing AM radio empire too, but I don't know nearly as much about that side of the radio biz of the past twenty years.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Like, whatever else is bad about them, whatever, I just hate how lovely and generic ClearChannel stations sound compared to basic any local options. I'm sure someone else owns my lovely local alternative station but at least the DJs still reference (local area) and have personality beyond generic rock guy or generic hip hop guy.

Also the commercial breaks on CC stations are longer and more frequent (gosh I can't imagine why).

Oh and their rebranding as iHeartRadio was so transparent and stupid, much like how Comcast has started using Xfinity branding everywhere, like people are far too loving dumb to put 2 and 2 together. (They are).

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 20, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DrNutt posted:

Oh and their rebranding as iHeartRadio was so transparent and stupid, much like how Comcast has started using Xfinity branding everywhere, like people are far too loving dumb to put 2 and 2 together. (They are).

The difference there is that you frequently have no choice but Comcast for your internet. In some places you can have Verizon instead but they're also becoming increasingly lovely. Try living without the internet these days; it's basically impossible.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The difference there is that you frequently have no choice but Comcast for your internet. In some places you can have Verizon instead but they're also becoming increasingly lovely. Try living without the internet these days; it's basically impossible.

This is true, and why I consider myself fortunate to live in a place with competition and now even fiber infrastructure. I haven't had to have Comcast (blazing fast Xfinity!) for almost ten years now. And that was only because I lived in an apartment building that Comcast had locked down.

I'm sure this will change with the coming of Trump's FCC though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Macys posted:

There were periods of a lot of truly independent stations, but they were usually when radio was first an experimental thing, and then later when FM started to be a thing (though a lot of early FM was just playing the exact same audio as a parent AM station, just with higher quality. That eventually was restricted.). But in both of those cases most people weren't able to listen to the really independent stuff.

Edge & Christian posted:

Clear Channel alone (now iHeartMedia) owns 850 stations nationwide (at one point it was over 1,000 before they shut down some in markets they already had stations in).

That sounds like a lot and all, but there's around 11,000 commercial radio stations in the country these days, and then tons more educational/non-profit/religious stations.

As a point of comparison, in 1940 there were about 1,000 commercial radio stations, and NBC's Red Network ran as full time as was allowed on more than 120 of them. Not even something like now where like 100 of IHM's stations are rap, 200 are country, 200 are top 40 or whatever, all 120+ of those stations would run Fibber McGee and Molly at once, or some other old time radio show. And at certain times, even more stations would have part-time agreements to run the most popular shows simultaneously even if they spent a lot of their broadcast day doing local stuff.

Frankly it was an insane level of control, especially in terms of the advertising revenue.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/LeadFastNow/status/798988324295700480

quote:

This means that loan worthiness might start to rely on factors outside of family credit history, like evaluating a college’s “student success” rate after graduation (e.g. landing a job) and the marketability of a student’s chosen major. In this model, loan eligibility will favor the engineer over the artist.

in other words, if youre anything other than STEM, youre hosed. im a film major so looks like the jokes on me!

my nightmarish guess is bannon and co. will make the barrer to entry for STEM a living hell for anyone non-white/lower income/bad credit

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 20, 2016

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

NikkolasKing posted:

I always preferred "Basic Thuganomics" his first theme, back when he was a nothing heel feuding with Lesnar.

I thought Rock was the one running in 2020 though.

Frankly, I don't know why we have to wait for 2020 when we could have made America Woo again.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Race Realists posted:

my nightmarish guess is bannon and co. will make the barrer to entry for STEM a living hell for anyone non-white/lower income/bad credit

Yeah, it'll be some bullshit thing like private student loan reimbursements that kick in only after the first consecutive 12 month period of on-time minimum payments. Basically, there's zillions of ways to design programs in ways that only benefit already-rich white people and they'll probably use all of them in the name of preventing fraud that doesn't exist. Meanwhile, actual student loan fraud being committed by private companies calling themselves universities will run rampant and go unpunished.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 20, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I remember when Trump was satire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pduRbz7IbIo

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Still not as good as Armstrong who actually says Make America Great Again.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This is the ultimate comedy.

Fresh from their disdain for Bernie's "Free College for the lower and middle class," the Republican party pushes legislation that makes college a luxury of the already-rich again.

Community colleges will loving collapse in on themselves like Neutron stars and the landscape will be dotted with educational black holes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

who really wanted that world-class higher educational system anyway

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
What is the endgame of something like that? Is there even one? Do they really think they can keep America competitive on the world stage by only having an elite few educated? If only a few can afford education, and the uneducated are paid very little, who is left to purchase the products of the ruling class? There's so much wrong with conservative ideology I don't even know where to start.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Levantine posted:

What is the endgame of something like that? Is there even one? Do they really think they can keep America competitive on the world stage by only having an elite few educated? If only a few can afford education, and the uneducated are paid very little, who is left to purchase the products of the ruling class? There's so much wrong with conservative ideology I don't even know where to start.

They want to give their little cumstains every advantage they can get over everyone else, consequences be damned.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Levantine posted:

What's getting you confused is the assumption that the ruling class is some unified entity with a consistent strategy and unity of purpose. In reality they're just a bunch a depraved motherfuckers with a medieval attitude toward life who want to stay on top. They don't care if they're weakening the foundations of society provided they can rule over whatever's left, and doesn't hurt if you can crush a few rivals while you're at it. And, they don't have nearly the control over poo poo that you think they do (though, some of them probably think so).

So for the Sheldon Adelsons and Koch brothers of the world, the endgame is irrelevant as long as they're still Sheldon Adelson or the Koch brothers.

MizPiz posted:

They want to give their little cumstains every advantage they can get over everyone else, consequences be damned.
Nah. If these people cared for their progeny they'd be agitating to fix or mitigate global warming. They aren't. They are sociopaths who know nothing but the acquisition of resources and the vanquishing of rivals.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 20, 2016

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Rexicon1 posted:

we need more angry people. it seems like Right Wing radio has cornered the market on righteous (or self-righteous) anger.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So on the topic of the Trump administration's plans for the future of education in America I have some interesting scuttlebutt to share. I recently checked in on some of the behind the scenes activity happening in Accelerated Christian Education and gleaned a few interesting tidbits. Mind you, I can't verify any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, here are the highlights.

• A.C.E. is currently working hard behind the scenes to get their graduates installed into Trump's administration, primarily targeting education related areas. They are not aiming for department heads but rather are billing their graduates as the perfect intern/clerk. Their general thinking seems to be that they will best be able to sway policy for now by making sure their people work intimately with the decision makers rather than being the decision makers themselves.

• A.C.E. is gearing up for a massive expansion over the next four years. From what I gathered they expect Trump to dramatically increase Charter schools in conjunction with passing robust religious liberty laws that will permit A.C.E. to set up taxpayer funded charter schools all over the US.

• A.C.E. expects that the round of religious liberty laws to be passed by the Trump Presidency will basically turn the phrase "sincerely held belief" into magic words that repel all forms of state oversight. Also expected in these religious liberty laws will be protections for corporal punishment in education, protections for what amounts to mandatory prayer in public schools, and protections for students/teachers who harass LGBT youth. (This will include the ability for educators to refuse certain services to LGBT students, student organizations to exclude LGBT youth in their charter, as well as the ability for states to enact mandatory reporting to parents if the student outs themselves as LGBT to school staff.)

• One of their long term goals at present is to market A.C.E. as a system that can transform "wayward youth" into productive citizens. The general idea seems to be to set up taxpayer funded youth homes for children in crises (orphaned/homeless/abandoned) that are based entirely around A.C.E. More than that though they anticipate some of these homes as being transformation centers for LGBT children that have either been booted out of public/charter schools for "behavioral problems" or dropped off by their loving Christian parents.

The net effect of all this is it will make it possible for a school to harass an LGBT student until they drop out, at which point they can be sent by their parents (or in blood red states ordered by local courts) to attend one of these transformation centers. So if you are wondering what the plan to put LGBT youth into camps looks like, whelp.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Don't worry, I'm sure the Jeff Sessions Justice Department won't want to pursue things that way :smithicide:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

The NYT has a nice textbook example of how rightwing bullshit pops up out of nowhere and quickly becomes common knowledge regardless of its truth or falsehood. Some random conservative in Austin noticed all these charter buses lined up on the day after the election and jumped to the conclusion that they must be the buses for bringing those "paid protesters" into town to hold protest marches:

The NYT article shows that within a day or two, this had been retweeted enough to make it into widely read rightwing sites like Free Republic, /r/The_Donald, and Gateway Pundit, all of which seem to have assumed that it was incontrovertible truth that the buses were for creating fake-grassroots protests.

Thing is, those are charter buses with the giant logo of the company that owns them (Coach USA) clearly visible on the side. Actual reporters spent a few minutes on the phone with Coach USA and ascertained that the buses had actually been hired for the day by a local software company that happened to be holding a technical conference in town, not anything to do with the election. The Austin American-Statesman newspaper ran this explanation three days after the election, and the guy who tweeted the original pics took them down and then posted a retraction, but by then the Internet's attention had wandered and "those buses bringing protesters into Austin" was permanently locked in the minds of many of the people in the rightwing Internet bubble.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Also, what about having people bussed in makes them think the protesters are not genuine anyway? Do they think people who bus to work aren't really going to work and are just pretending?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Protesters in support of Kim Davis had to be bussed in from like a dozen states but that's different, obviously

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

GutBomb posted:

Also, what about having people bussed in makes them think the protesters are not genuine anyway? Do they think people who bus to work aren't really going to work and are just pretending?

I think you already have your answer to that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

But he still is, it just isn't funny anymore.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Has anyone else heard the rumor that Milo Yiann... is going to be Trump's press secretary? I've seen a bunch of reports, but no confirmation.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Jurgan posted:

Has anyone else heard the rumor that Milo Yiann... is going to be Trump's press secretary? I've seen a bunch of reports, but no confirmation.

Rumors and jokes, nothing more. Don't believe anything about any possible official roles until you see articles about it in the mainstream press that don't just cite anonymous sources. There have been allegations of the transition team intentionally "leaking" incorrect information in order to embarrass the press.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

These people are oligarchial socipaths. They want money for the people they believe are winners and to crush everyone else. This is why I have become a totalitarian. Such thought such be banned and the expression of ti should get one sent to camp, for reeducation.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jurgan posted:

Laura Ingraham is the current top name being thrown around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Race Realists posted:

https://twitter.com/LeadFastNow/status/798988324295700480

in other words, if youre anything other than STEM, youre hosed. im a film major so looks like the jokes on me!

Oh cool my wife is 6 years into the 10 years doing a thankless job for people with disabilities.