Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Could have used your enthusiasm before the election

Maybe if they didn't crush it and tell it to fall in line they would've had it at election time :ironicat:

More and more this past election is about agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

blamegame posted:

its just like benghazi....

:five:

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

DWS: 'If I was trying to rig the outcome of the primary, trust me, I could have'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-kOIkTZLsU&hd=1

she's pleading incompetence, then?

the dnc isn't powerful and hasn't been as long as i've paid attention to them, which is, maybe 7 or 8 years? so i think there's like a weird game going on where you try to assert relevance but also innocence when the truth is really just impotence

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

CherryCola posted:

this is really important
https://storify.com/miniver/how-fascism-accumulates-power-by-testing-people

Talks about how fascism happens faster than anyone expects and how dangerous normalization is in these situations. People need to stop talking about waiting and seeing what happens...because once whatever happens happens...it's going to be too late.
The problem is you can't do anything before someone does something.
We can bitch and show how much we think it's a bad idea (which we should be and are doing), but he's president elect. Barring specific circumstances he can literally hire anyone and it won't be an issue until something real fucky happens.

We can claim Bannon's a nazi and a terrible loving person for the website he runs and such, but unless he's outright saying these things as literal governmental position to be enforced then there's literally nothing we can do about the appointments.
If you tried to bring it to court however you'd probably lose and then be on the other side of a defamation lawsuit for doing that.

The only real power we have in these situations is more local support and organization to prepare for the worst. Unlike Germany we have the lessons of the past and the states will not go quietly. It is more likely to evolve into a civil war if any conflict, which if that's the case then there's nothing to be done but to organize local support and prepare.
And I'm sure most politicians want to avoid exposing themselves to any danger of that. At the very best we'd then have local support and prep for 2018, which should be the main goal.

We got a 2 month waiting period until the curtains rise for the real show. Lets hope it's not another Call of Duty.
I wouldn't mind an actual Civil War call of duty/fps videogame though

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 15:48 on Nov 20, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

CherryCola posted:

this is really important
https://storify.com/miniver/how-fascism-accumulates-power-by-testing-people

Talks about how fascism happens faster than anyone expects and how dangerous normalization is in these situations. People need to stop talking about waiting and seeing what happens...because once whatever happens happens...it's going to be too late.

This tweet... whatever claims that Hitler went from power to Final Solution in 4 months. Hitler gained power in 1933. The Final Solution began between 1940-1942.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

DWS: 'If I was trying to rig the outcome of the primary, trust me, I could have'

followed by statements of "complain" "scapegoat" "mistakes they made" and "made me the boogeywoman"

wow this lady can do it all (except win elections)!

I always love it when the people in charge of an organization get that deer the headlights look and start talking about how things are not under her control like people claim.

Grey Fox has issued a correction as of 15:57 on Nov 20, 2016

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

LegoPirateNinja posted:

This tweet... whatever claims that Hitler went from power to Final Solution in 4 months. Hitler gained power in 1933. The Final Solution began between 1940-1942.
I'm sure President Trump won't be contested on his third term election or anything.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
if i don't like DWS, does that make me an anti-semite? even though it also means i also dislike the big money, heavily jewish constituency she represents?

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

LegoPirateNinja posted:

if i don't like DWS, does that make me an anti-semite? even though it also means i also dislike the big money, heavily jewish constituency she represents?

it would probably be one of the first attacks leveled should you try and voice your opinion

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Lactose Is Wack posted:

it would probably be one of the first attacks leveled should you try and voice your opinion

i bet some people resent those kinds of attacks. i wonder if they vote.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

LegoPirateNinja posted:

But what was the lead up? It didn't come out of nowhere.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

LegoPirateNinja posted:

i bet some people resent those kinds of attacks. i wonder if they vote.

they don't :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

These are the same Clintons who were "masters of retail politics" folks.

Bill is a smart savvy politician who understands the human aspect of politics and the importance of hitting the campaign role to connect with the average voter.

Hillary was a weird technocrat who made lots GE campaign blunders in hindsight like trying to run up the score, having a overreliance on technology and mostly ignoring midwest.

Even the best midwest state of Minnesota was won by only 1.4%

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lactose Is Wack posted:

i wasn't aware dws had fans, anywhere

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In a DWS interview should said weed must remain illegal since it's a gateway drug.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

like even in the hillariest of hugboxes the only statements on dws were "i hope she gets fired out of a cannon into the sun"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fulchrum posted:

Mainly because Bernie was being a dick about the entire thing and not taking it seriously, putting up loving Jill Stein supporter Cornel West to represent him on the committee.

You need to knock this off. Now.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

etalian posted:

In a DWS interview should said weed must remain illegal since it's a gateway drug.

That element of the DNC is just cryogenically frozen in the 90s. How is the party so out of date?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

he's the minority leader and that's his president, and he's from new york an...

oh.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also lolling how they hired Robby Mook even though he oversaw multiple failed midterm campaigns.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Yinlock posted:

i wasn't aware dws had fans, anywhere

she was re elected in her district

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lactose Is Wack posted:

she was re elected in her district

It's a safe blue district in FL, that's pretty much well controlled by the party machine.

Also I find it really funny how Hillary lost both MI and WI in the primary. You would think that these defeats would have clued her in that she had some weaknesses to address in rust belt states.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

etalian posted:

Also lolling how they hired Robby Mook even though he oversaw multiple failed midterm campaigns.

his education in classics from an ivy league university was a deciding factor.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lactose Is Wack posted:

It's amazing how much more practical David Axelrod is by comparison especially when you read interviews or how he roasted the very bad Hillary campaign.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

etalian posted:

It's a safe blue district in FL, that's pretty much well controlled by the party machine.

Also I find it really funny how Hillary lost both MI and WI in the primary. You would think that these defeats would have clued her in that she had some weaknesses to address in rust belt states.

that is part of my problem with the whole thing. within the party you have a mindless voting bloc (i know not limited to the dnc) who will keep these kinds of individuals in plan when they should be purged from within

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014
It's weird, because I live in Idaho and the local party chapter's website is great. A button to sign up automatically for a newsletter, a calendar with events that has 3-4 per month for the next few months.

If you go into town the building is on main Street, bigass sign and a picture of a blue donkey. Even a sign that says "Free wifi, come on in!" And if you do walk in the receptionist is invariably sweet and happy seeming.

My point is: This is loving Idaho. How is this operation in a town of less than 30k better than one in loving New York City?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Lactose Is Wack posted:

oh no, not.. classics! horror! scandal!!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

like even in the hillariest of hugboxes the only statements on dws were "i hope she gets fired out of a cannon into the sun"

I mean I think she was fine as a DNC head but as a politician I can't really pretend she has any value other than a reliable D vote. We should probably have someone who's better than that in the seat, yea.

Lactose Is Wack posted:

that is part of my problem with the whole thing. within the party you have a mindless voting bloc (i know not limited to the dnc) who will keep these kinds of individuals in plan when they should be purged from within

I thought the lesson from this election was not doing poo poo like calling voters 'mindless' or does that only apply to one kind of voter

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

etalian posted:

It's amazing how much more practical David Axelrod is by comparison especially when you read interviews or how he roasted the very bad Hillary campaign.

at least axelrod studied poly sci and had a lengthy history volunteering / working the election game, alont with proven success

Mook was in the right place at the right time? Or knew somebody?

I guess i shouldn't be surprised i see this kind of behavior in my every day life. Loyalty/longevity/cronyism trumps qualifications and work ethic every time.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean I think she was fine as a DNC head but as a politician I can't really pretend she has any value other than a reliable D vote. We should probably have someone who's better than that in the seat, yea.

I thought the lesson from this election was not doing poo poo like calling voters 'mindless' or does that only apply to one kind of voter

I think individuals re-electing DWS qualify as members of the mindless segment of people who will vote the D ticket regardless. There are members of the republican party who do the same.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lactose Is Wack posted:

at least axelrod studied poly sci and had a lengthy history volunteering / working the election game, alont with proven success

Mook was in the right place at the right time? Or knew somebody?

I guess i shouldn't be surprised i see this kind of behavior in my every day life. Loyalty/longevity/cronyism trumps qualifications and work ethic every time.

I remember reading a nice barb from Axelrod on how despite changing the whole team, the Hillary campaign was still fighting the same problems it had in the 2008 primary.

Now their incompetence gave the US a Trump presidency and administration of guys basically picked from the CPAC speaker list.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

blamegame posted:

oh no, not.. classics! horror! scandal!!

looks loke we got an Aristophanes knower here boys...... get his clothes and throw em in the wine dark sea, we'll teach him a lesson ere rosy-fingered dawn chases Selene from the sky

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm still mad about learning Aristophanes. If I was taught colbert in fifty years I would be mad and think it was irrelevant. Let alone 500+

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

etalian posted:

are there particular articles/episodes where he does this? I'd like to hear his thoughts but I'm way behind on the axe files

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Well, she was fired from her job, and the reasons there could have been for that to happen were (a) she was trying to rig the outcome of the primary, or (b) incompetence

so yeah I guess so

(e: in reality of course it was both)

LegoPirateNinja posted:

first one no, second one maybe

loquacius has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Nov 20, 2016

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

At least Trump may accidentally revive local manufacturing when global trade falls apart and fracking becomes profitable again during the Iran War on Islam.

Global trade isn't going to fall apart

Someone else is just going to fill in the blanks if the US pulls out

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mark Blyth describes why the DNC ended up being such a failure

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/18/mark_blyth_global_trumpism_and_the_revolt_against_the_creditor_class.html

quote:

And I'll leave you with one set of numbers that I found today, which is just an absolute for this whole thing. In 2015, Wall Street Bonuses, not regular compensation, bonuses, seven years after they were bailed out with the public purse, totaled $29.4 billion dollars.

Total compensation paid to every single person in this country who makes minimum wage totaled $14 billion. I'll stop there...

I think the Wall Street issue goes much deeper than this. If you download from WikiLeaks, the Podesta emails, and start searching for place names, something very interesting happens. One of the place names that comes up the most in Martha's Vineyard. Another one that comes up after that is Davos. Another one is Washington D.C., and then basically the distribution of real places where people actually live disappears into the tail.

We talk about the Democratic Party -- I don't know who that is. I know there's a bunch of people who have made very nice six-figure careers in D.C. bouncing from agency to agency, starting wars, getting promoted, never actually paying the cost for it, waiting for the next administration to give them a pay hike. You see a lot of that. If you spend any time in D.C., you'll bump into them all the time...

I'm not even sure who the Democrats are that are going to make this challenge, who the people that they are going to connect with, the social organizations. The movements, the youth. How do they touch them when they barely even only talk to each other and no one else on the way out to Martha's Vineyard or Davos to commune with the guys at Goldman who are funding the party?

A reminder that bad dems argued a wage increase isn't a good thing even though wall street bonus packages are double the value of all the minimum wage payments this year.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

etalian posted:

Mark Blyth describes why the DNC ended up being such a failure

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/11/18/mark_blyth_global_trumpism_and_the_revolt_against_the_creditor_class.html

A reminder that bad dems argued a wage increase isn't a good thing even though wall street bonus packages are double the value of all the minimum wage payments this year.

I just want someone in this country with a shot at real power to be opposed in some way to Wall Street

There needs to be some kind of counterbalance against this bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

etalian posted:

He kept those off his cvv.

• Locked thread