Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

So, I'm watching curb your enthusiasm for the first time, and when does the show break out of the formula "larry meets x, does y, spends the rest of the episode unsuccessfully undoing y" because I'm halfway into season 2, and this show seems more formulaic than house.

If you're watching Curb for plot you're doing it wrong. The entire fun of that show is Larry doing something incredibly stupid and trying to work his way out of it and ending up making it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think most of the actors on Curb are terrible.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

If you're watching Curb for plot you're doing it wrong. The entire fun of that show is Larry doing something incredibly stupid and trying to work his way out of it and ending up making it worse.

I don't think this show is for me, I sit for twenty minutes wishing that Larry buys a gun and shoots everyone.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

BSam posted:

They made two seasons? Jesus.

That's nearly as mystifying as there being more than zero seasons of Another Period.

Jokes on you there's going to be a third too!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think this show is for me, I sit for twenty minutes wishing that Larry buys a gun and shoots everyone.

Yeah, I would stop watching if I were you.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

On a related note: You're the worst is starting to aggravate me with the thought that there are people like that in the world who life does not punish.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was a TV show, not recent real world events, that pushed that thought to the foreground?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The courtroom stuff in s1 is definitely better on rewatch, but my wife hadn't seen it before and it drove her mad just as much as it did me the first time round. There's something just so frustratingly bad about watching Jon Hamm charm his way through it, I think it's the dread that the OJ tie might extend to the result.

I liked season 2 a lot, and Tina Fey's character was especially good.

I get that Jon Hamm and Tina Fey are top tier talents, but the fact that their guest appearances so completely overshadowed the rest of the cast suggests that UKS isn't actually that good to me. It's generally kind of pleasant, and I'm sure I'll keep watching just because it's so easily accessible, but there's nothing really outstanding about it aside from those guests. It's fine.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

It was a TV show, not recent real world events, that pushed that thought to the foreground?

If I wanted to see real events I wouldn't watch TV shows, obviously.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You're the Worst doesn't really bug me as far as "bad people not suffering consequences" because for as terrible as Jimmy and Gretchen are they don't actually really hurt anyone with their actions, besides each other. They're mostly just assholes. Lindsay's the one who hurts people, but the show hasn't ignored that or given her a pass.

But its like Always Sunny where, sure theyre not going to jail or anything but their actions clearly have made their lives terrible. They're just too drunk/deluded/terrible/stupid to notice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

I think most of the actors on Curb are terrible.

I like that it's a show that absolutely relies on improv, and 90% of what Jeff Garlin says is just a retread of what Larry just said.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Just watch season 7. Doesn't seem like the show's for you, but everyone should watch season 7. It's a goddamn masterpiece.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Just watch season 7. Doesn't seem like the show's for you, but everyone should watch season 7. It's a goddamn masterpiece.

Noted

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think seasons 6-8 are probably the best of the show. 8 has what I think is the funniest episode overall (Palestinian Chicken), and 6 has the most satisfying end to a season of any of them imo. Definitely don't skip into 7 before watching 6 though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 19, 2016

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Keep hearing people talk about this show Banshee. Worth getting in to?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

It has lots of brutal fight scenes and okay nudity but that's about it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Josh Lyman posted:

It has lots of brutal fight scenes and okay nudity but that's about it.

Would you recommend getting into Banshee or Quarry? Need a new show, fell out of Luther after a few episodes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

Would you recommend getting into Banshee or Quarry? Need a new show, fell out of Luther after a few episodes.

Banshee

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Banshees a fun and crazy ride as long as you don't expect anything especially insightful or high caliber. It's morally questionable people going 100mph all the time. It's very well done for what it is but it doesn't endeavor to be more than a violent and titillating romp. If you're into that it will deliver.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Banshee wore me out after 2 seasons. I didn't hate it but I'd kinda had enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sinteres posted:

I think seasons 6-8 are probably the best of the show. 8 has what I think is the funniest episode overall (Palestinian Chicken), and 6 has the most satisfying end to a season of any of them imo. Definitely don't skip into 7 before watching 6 though.

What season had the one where Larry gives the doll a haircut? That's my absolute favorite one ever.

Hughmoris posted:

Banshee is brutal. It has some of the best fight sequences I have ever seen on television. The final season is a dud though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I admit I never watched S3. I don't have anything bad to say about it and I'm not turned off. I keep meaning to watch it. It's just as you said, eventually you get too much candy and soda. S1 is almost enough.

Same with Strike Back. I'm somewhere on S3 because the best way I've found to watch them are as two episode movies whenever I feel like a blowemup action movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just finished a long rewatch of Breaking Bad. Christ I don't think there is a better show that will ever be made.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Hollismason posted:

Just finished a long rewatch of Breaking Bad. Christ I don't think there is a better show that will ever be made.

They already made a better show than it. It was called The Wire.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What season had the one where Larry gives the doll a haircut? That's my absolute favorite one ever.

Looks like that's season 2. I think some of the later seasons break free of the format in interesting ways, but if someone doesn't like the basic structure of the show in the early seasons they probably won't enjoy any of the rest either. He's always someone who makes life harder for himself by quixotically railing against perceived injustices rather than just letting things go. He may be initially in the right in a lot of episodes, but he still kind of deserves a lot of his misery for being an rear end in a top hat about everything.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I admit I never watched S3. I don't have anything bad to say about it and I'm not turned off. I keep meaning to watch it. It's just as you said, eventually you get too much candy and soda. S1 is almost enough.

Same with Strike Back. I'm somewhere on S3 because the best way I've found to watch them are as two episode movies whenever I feel like a blowemup action movie.

Final season of Strike Back is the best. Which is #5 if you count the original.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 20, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone think a Dalek is scary? Really?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Vanderdeath posted:

They already made a better show than it. It was called The Wire.

Eh.........

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone think a Dalek is scary? Really?

My six-year-old nephew sure does.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a reminder that season 3 of The Librarians starts tomorrow night.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Just a reminder that season 3 of The Librarians starts tomorrow night.

I love this dumb show. Truly it is the guiltiest of pleasures.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The videogame/Groundhog Day episode last season was pretty fun.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hollismason posted:

If you are looking for another serious, gritty, crime-related drama that's on a similar level, check out Cop Rock.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

muscles like this! posted:

The videogame/Groundhog Day episode last season was pretty fun.

That episode was way better than I expected of that show. It had feels.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally finished the first season of Twin Peaks. Very enjoyable, if a bit difficult to get started.

But S2E1 was a struggle to get through, and considering how people have said the second season isn't as good, I wonder if it's worth slogging through the remaining 21 episodes.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm in the same boat you are. I watched the first season of Twin Peaks a long time ago but haven't been able to bring myself to watch the second one. But all of my friends who have seen it keep telling me that it is absolutely worth slogging through it to see the end.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If any of you guys still care about physical media, Target has a bunch of TV shows on sale for 5 bucks

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Finally finished the first season of Twin Peaks. Very enjoyable, if a bit difficult to get started.

But S2E1 was a struggle to get through, and considering how people have said the second season isn't as good, I wonder if it's worth slogging through the remaining 21 episodes.

201 is one of the best episodes easily

It stays good up until 210 or so. Definitely watch until....well, you'll know when you see it.

btw the latest "utterly ridiculous goon theory" thing is in the Rectify thread if anyone cares

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 20, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Escobarbarian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZde2tEK1Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

The first part of Season 2 is fine, and feels a lot like a continuation of Season 1. I think it goes up until episode 9, and you'll definitely know it when you see it. I would hang on for at least that much, maybe try 10 to see if you hate it or not, and if it's intolerable, skip ahead to either the finale or one episode before the finale, just to set it up.

• Locked thread