Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ularg posted:

How does a 3v3 mode take 3-5 minutes to get enough players?
It's a side arcade mode with way fewer players participating, and it still has to do matchmaking but without a larger team size to average out the MMR scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I see. I got my 3v3 and 1v1 boxes now. Had panic attacks for every match. gently caress anxiety.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Roadhog has become an absolute must in 3v3.

Watching a Pharah with anything less than pin point rocket accuracy try to win against Hog is just sad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Funny you say that, I had a 3v3 game earlier with the best Widow I've ever played with where one round, our soldier died immediately and then widow+me as zen beat the intact 3 person opposing team which had a rein :slick:

and then a couple rounds later, that same widow was the only person left vs. a Roadhog and a Mei and won the game for us. :slick: :slick: miracles are real boys

Veryslightlymad posted:

Buy me a duplicate of your monitor.
you don't want it it's 60 hertz lol

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Semper Fudge posted:

I wish all of the OW skins weren't just holiday themed ones, there's a lot of room for cool skins that are being left on the table by adhering to a single theme.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm mad we still haven't gotten the Zarya skin from HOTS in the game yet.

the hots skins for zarya and tracer are really bad. like I'd rather use cyber goth over that one

why do they both have skins where all blizzard did was make some bits of their clothes+their gun bigger

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Manatee Cannon posted:

the hots skins for zarya and tracer are really bad. like I'd rather use cyber goth over that one

why do they both have skins where all blizzard did was make some bits of their clothes+their gun bigger

Every HotS character has a skin exactly like that, you unlock them by getting that particular hero's level (purely a function of time played like Overwatch's numerical levels for XP) up to 10. Yeah, they're pretty dumb.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kai Tave posted:

Every HotS character has a skin exactly like that, you unlock them by getting that particular hero's level (purely a function of time played like Overwatch's numerical levels for XP) up to 10. Yeah, they're pretty dumb.

Yes, these are called Master skins and they can actually bought with the in-game currency whereas all the other skins are real money purchases. The quality between these varies greatly and some just look like they quickly glued on some extra parts (especially the older ones).

Just another reminder that it's a good thing Overwatch is not a F2P game.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Okay, so I've turned sour on TF2 because, even though I'd been playing that game since 2008, I got sick on constantly MVPing poo poo teams, with poo poo players that don't use teamwork or communicate or seem to be even slightly aware that it's a computer that they're operating and not a toaster. I've been hoping that Overwatch would be different but so far, during this free weekend, I haven't won a single game.

Not a single game.

I'm fine with admitting that a good chunk of those losses are due to me being not entirely used to the game itself, but, holy gently caress, not a single victory. Without any hyperbole whatsoever, every single time, I've been the only one with a mic. Every single time, I've been the only one trying to coordinate. Every single time, I've been the only one who seems to understand team balance and hero choice. Every single time, I seem to be the only person paying attention to an objective. Again, this is no hyperbole. I have literally been keeping tally. This weekend was a litmus test to see if I would be willing to drop some dosh on this game and, so far, it has--loving somehow--been a more irritating experience than TF2.

Is this just an Asia thing? I live in Japan, and if there's one thing I've learned from 6 years of playing games here is that no one on this continent ever communicates or uses teamwork in a pub. Is it a free weekend thing? I know that they tend to bring in the poo poo players by the hordes. Is it a solo queue thing? I have a sneaking suspicion that, unless I lure my irl or online friends back to games like this, I am doomed to be on the retard teams.

I have an FPS itch that needs scratching and, for all the hype, this game is just not scratching it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I mean, I don't and won't ever use a mic when I'm playing with pubbies.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Roger Explosion posted:

I have an FPS itch that needs scratching and, for all the hype, this game is just not scratching it.

Have you tried Rainbow Siege? I mean it's wildly different from TF2/Overwatch but may be more organized than these?

Macaluso posted:

also this

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

overwatch is a lot faster paced than tf2 and a lot smaller as well, so when you suck it matters more. and, no offense, but if you haven't won any games it's because you're not playing as well as you think you are. the mmr will be matching you against either brand new players or the bottom of the barrel because you just got the game and they assume you're bad, so you're not going up against amazing players or anything. the other players on your team probably think about you the way you think about them. playing with friends helps the feeling of coordination if, y'know, they actually try to coordinate with you, but that doesn't mean you're gonna win more. the game tries to match groups with other groups of around the same size, so queuing as a 6 stack can actually be a lot harder than solo queue. I also guarantee you that you don't understand the hero balance as well as you think you do if you just downloaded the game for the free weekend

but if you don't like it, don't buy it. plenty of shooters released this year

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Free weekend scrub question: after I freeze someone with Mei's primary attack, is it better to keep attacking with it or switch to the secondary icicles?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Koburn posted:

Free weekend scrub question: after I freeze someone with Mei's primary attack, is it better to keep attacking with it or switch to the secondary icicles?

Shoot those motha fuckers in they HEEEADS

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea go for the icicle headshot

here's some NUMBERS for ya. the icicle does 75 damage and headshots double damage, giving you 150 free damage on any snowman you make. mei's primary fire can't headshot and does piddly damage besides, so you're wasting your time if you keep spraying with it after freezing someone

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

here's some NUMBERS for ya. the icicle does 75 damage and headshots double damage, giving you 150 free damage on any snowman you make. mei's primary fire can't headshot and does piddly damage besides, so you're wasting your time if you keep spraying with it after freezing someone

You also don't build up the freeze debuff while the target is already frozen so there is zero reason to continue primary fire while they're a popsicle. Even non-headshot secondaries are better.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're not as good as you think you are.
You know what? No. I've been modest about my inexperience with this game and adjusted my expectations of myself and other new players accordingly. I know exactly how good I am. "Kinda poo poo, but would get better with experience" and yet I've still come out of it with one of the most irritating game experiences I've ever had. I just can't think of a way to come into this game new in a better way than I did. I've had decades of FPS experience, I played during the beta a lot and liked it, I've been following news, comp and [insert Overwatch Youtuber] (because this game is amazing when done right), I did the tutorial and the practice range with every class and against bots before heading into a real match, and then tried my goddamnest to apply everything I've learnt from all those previous points I've listed, keeping myself open-minded to the fact that this is its own game with its own playstyle that I'm new to, all the while trying to be a good team player that has a positive attitude, communicates and commits to the objective. I wanted so badly to actually like this game.

To do all of that and still be on losing team after losing team is some kind of bullshit. Mind you, some of those losses weren't rolls and were fun right until the last second but, gently caress me, even one win would have been nice. Maybe it really is just a very bad streak of luck. I hope so. But even so, great game that I'll continue to watch and love as a spectator, but this free weekend has soured me to actually playing it.

frajaq posted:

Have you tried Rainbow Siege? I mean it's wildly different from TF2/Overwatch but may be more organized than these?
Seen it. I haven't paid it too much mind though. I'll check it out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

How many matches have you played so far?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'd be interested to know which heroes you've been using also

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Ehud posted:

How many matches have you played so far?
I got mad stopped counting after 20. About half of them were pretty down to the wire. Played for a few hours after that and a few hours today.

Help Im Alive posted:

I'd be interested to know which heroes you've been using also
I started on D.Va because, dear god, she's so damned easy to use, and moved to Reinhardt afterwards and loved him. I played a lot of Lucio and Anna. I played Tracer when the team needed someone to flank and flay. I liked her a lot more than I thought I would. Dropping that mine of hers onto the squishies then recalling the gently caress out seemed just plain mean. Anna is probably where I sucked the most. I really liked her concept/powers, so I stubbornly stuck with her when I should have switched to a hero I sucked less as. Lucio is fun to play and it seems like I get a lot done as him.

I'll admit I am venting a bit here and it's probably not as bad as it seems. I still like this game a lot. I just won't be playing it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you lost 20 matches in a row you are terrible at FPSes. May I suggest a new hobby, like knitting?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yeah like I'll have the occasional losing streak while solo queing quickplay in silent running mode but I've never gone 20-0.

Assuming you're not exaggerating, compared to you I must be some kind of team fps god.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

You're playing in the pool with every other free weekender, the majority of which are blizzard fans who don't play shooters. You're trying to bring teamwork and communication into a game where 90% of the players don't understand basic mechanical concepts. Pick an offense hero with a heal, such as soldier 76, and simply win every match until you're at a level where people start shooting back. If you can't make an impact with a hero built on securing kills, it's on you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blorange posted:

You're playing in the pool with every other free weekender, the majority of which are blizzard fans who don't play shooters. You're trying to bring teamwork and communication into a game where 90% of the players don't understand basic mechanical concepts. Pick an offense hero with a heal, such as soldier 76, and simply win every match until you're at a level where people start shooting back. If you can't make an impact with a hero built on securing kills, it's on you.

Also from what I've heard, mic comms are way less common on the Asia servers because there is no common language across the entire server.

Also if you're playing Quick Play, no one uses comms in that mode period.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I have found that it can be very frustrating playing the only support in a game. If you're playing Lucio and everyone else is playing offense characters badly, it's tough to really swing the game in your favor no matter how well you're playing. A good offense usually has more impact at the lower levels.

Edit: Also, try to find one or two people to queue up with. That'll break your losing streak.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 20, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

DrBox posted:

I have found that it can be very frustrating playing the only support in a game. If you're playing Lucio and everyone else is playing offense characters badly, it's tough to really swing the game in your favor no matter how well you're playing. A good offense usually has more impact at the lower levels.

Edit: Also, try to find one or two people to queue up with. That'll break your losing streak.

Zenyatta and Ana--in that order--are the ultimate antidotes to offense slampickers who can't play offense.

Too often Lucio means you just have a spectator seat to your team coughing up the game and leaving you to escape a 1v6 and I get enough of that treatment at my workjob tbh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're really, legitimately better than the other people in your game, you can carry as anything. you don't have to be a dps hero to win for your time, healers and tanks perform roles just as important as the damage dealers, but you do have to outclass everyone else in the server by a fair bit

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Willie Tomg posted:

Zenyatta and Ana--in that order--are the ultimate antidotes to offense slampickers who can't play offense.

Too often Lucio means you just have a spectator seat to your team coughing up the game and leaving you to escape a 1v6 and I get enough of that treatment at my workjob tbh

For real, when I play Ana I honestly find it easier to kill Pharah than with McCree. 3 scoped shots with no damage falloff, seems good.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
There are some FPS games I've been absolute God-tier at, and others I've been middling-to-average at. I am also loving horrible at this game and lose constantly. And I agree, it isn't fun. At all.

I came moments away from just uninstalling it because I have a difficult time getting enjoyment out of it, but then I stopped playing by myself and only played with goons, on Discord, and suddenly the game was fun. Not even the same goons every time, just always with people who are pretty good at the game and communicate with each other. And yeah of course you gotta find your classes, but that's only part of it. I am absolutely awful with anyone that requires aiming. I can't play Ana, or McCree, or Hanzo. But I can support people who do, as long as we're all talking and playing together.

The game's not bad. You're probably not bad either. Stop playing it alone.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I enjoy losing Overwatch on teams that talk more-or-less nicely to each other far more than I enjoy winning Overwatch with silent teammates who bumble to a win essentially at random like a Stanford Prisoner Experiment themed pachinko machine more than I enjoy dealing with rage-teens in any capacity or venue whatsoever. Thanks for reading.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Them Widow changes is making life hell again, least fun class to play against.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If anyone really likes the game and wants to keep playing it and not quit yet, just post a gameplay video and people will give you tips on how to improve.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Thor-Stryker posted:

When there is a godlike Widow or Sniper I like to go Winston.

Also when there are really good supports.

Also Genjis.

Also every other time I play the game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

Also least fun class to play with, because even if they're good you'll never feel like you're actually working with them.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Roger Explosion posted:

I'll admit I am venting a bit here and it's probably not as bad as it seems. I still like this game a lot. I just won't be playing it.

Don't make the purpose of any match to win -- make the purpose of every match to have fun. Namaste.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Along that line of thought, it took me a bit to get out of "I have to shoot other dudes to make a difference" mode. It's hard to learn to be satisfied by going an entire match with no kills and still feel like you did something.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
Do any of you play using mumble? I'm sick of getting put on teams where people refuse to talk or work together but I really can't stand discord.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

Pick D.Va and make their life hell until they ragequit. It's like sweet candy. Widowmakers should be punished

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Slim Killington posted:

Along that line of thought, it took me a bit to get out of "I have to shoot other dudes to make a difference" mode. It's hard to learn to be satisfied by going an entire match with no kills and still feel like you did something.

Playing the objective is important. Holding the objective is even more important. If you're a highly-mobile class dashing past the enemy line, onto the point, and getting creamed, you've done less useful than if you were killing dudes on the front with your team.
Of course, if you're spending the entire time killing dudes and ignoring the point, that's even worse.

Long story short, the real secret to doing well is developing a good game sense of what you need to be doing at any given time. Which is probably the least transferrable skill from other FPS games so it's not surprising if one might be struggling with it in their first couple of days.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Macaluso posted:

I always do and usually people are decently reasonable and helpful. I have only had one game in a long while where no one was willing to go second support.

If anyone loses 20 games in a row, the problem is probably with them. "Everyone is poo poo in quickplay on a free weekend" also applies to the enemy team, a team of 5 poo poo players plus 1 ok player, should win on average, vs. a team of 6 poo poo players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggles Unite
May 29, 2014
Idk about that, just posted in the tryhard thread about playing with a buddy who's new to the game and as soon as the other team figures out I'm killing their team i get focused like i cant believe. Getting chased halfway across the map by three dudes while the rest do ??? is tough. But yeah we still win more than we lose but the frustration is understandable