Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, but people with low incomes the subsidies lower the price by a large margin, I've heard $50/month for some people. There are also a lot of exemptions (due to income below required tax filing mount, religious objections, you suffered a hardship getting insurance, insurance would cost more than 10% of your income, etc..), more info: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/beware-of-the-2016-obamacare-individual-mandate-penalty-2015-10-27

You'd be hard pressed to make a case where remaining uninsured is a better choice than getting an ACA plan if that's your only option.

Oklahoma might be an exception, their rates almost doubled over last year because BCBSOK lost $300 million on ACA plans and the state has no controls in place to limit cost growth. (mine does)

Ah okay. Thanks for the info. I guess OOP would still suck but at that point at least you get the treatment first so yeah that sounds worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kilroy posted:

gently caress I thought Trump was going to bring jack-booted thugs turns out he's just going to :qq: on Twitter for the next four years. I'm not sure which is worse.

Whining victimhood is what allows jackbooted thugs full support of the public convinced that they are so wronged by being denied full control. It's worked so well for Republicans, so I can't see that changing unless the US magically gets a clue.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Melania and Barron Trump won't be moving to the White House

This guy gives 0 fucks.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

I wonder how the internet connection is at the white house vs Floor 66

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RIP midtown traffic for 4 years

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Can they actually even do that? Can't the Secret Service just tell them "gently caress off, we don't have the manpower to choke off several square blocks of Manhattan for the forseeable future"?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I mean, more and more Americans are telecommuting, Trump's just living the dream of his alt-right supporters and running the world like an RTS from the comfort of his own basement home.

Edit: and why would the secret service be worried? Not like an ostentatious building in New York has ever made a spectacular target before.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kilroy posted:

gently caress I thought Trump was going to bring jack-booted thugs turns out he's just going to :qq: on Twitter for the next four years. I'm not sure which is worse.

good news friend, he's going to use his whining as a smokescreen to cover up/justify the jackbooted thugs

you get the best of both worlds!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I look forward to Trump moving the capital to New York City so he can move the federal government into buildings he owns in and rent them floorspace at insane prices

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Doesn't matter if NYC and D.C. both go underwater in our lifetimes.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

In other news 0% of economists believe that Trumps 100 day plan will do anything to improve job prospects for the middle class.

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/100-day-plan

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

If Trump even allows White House Correspondents Dinners it's obvious he'll tailor them to punch down on his enemies. He will see it as his opportunity to get revenge against all those mean liberal comedians who attacked him.

I think there needs to be a "First Amendment Celebration Dinner" held simultaneously where comedians and public figures roast the President and his administration relentlessly. Get Comedy Central to host it, and market the hell out of it to beat the official WHCD in ratings.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Xae posted:

In other news 0% of economists believe that Trumps 100 day plan will do anything to improve job prospects for the middle class.

Austan Goolsbee's vote and comment history is amazing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

disjoe posted:

Austan Goolsbee's vote and comment history is amazing.

Holy poo poo yes. It really brings into relief just how hosed things are.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/PoliticusSarah/status/800374558599548929

Sigh.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RandomBlue posted:

I understand that $14k medical bill can be bad for many people, but I'm saying people are claiming that no insurance at all would be better than ACA insurance in ways in which ACA would bankrupt them but no insurance wouldn't. There's no legitimate case where that is true. Most of the plans cover 80% of the expenses after the deductible up to the OOP max. Shocker, one party willfully ignoring the facts or just outright lying because they've decided X is bad because the other party is for it.

I'm all for nationalized healthcare at this point as well. We're one of the very few first world nations that don't have that.

The argument is that if you are just going to declare bankruptcy anyway why should you put all that money into premiums instead of literally anything else? Basically why bother putting a new roof on a house on a hillside that will slide into the ocean in the first thunderstorm that comes along?

There is some logic there. Most people can't absorb the Out of pocket max. Even if they can, OOP max only applies to in network charges and you can and will get hosed even if you are smart because our health care system is more twisted than any person can navigate. Say you go to an in-network hospital for emergency surgery. Oh hey turned out the anesthesiologist called in a buddy for a consult and that guy is out of network and is charging $25k! Even if you are at the OOP max this year the insurance company will only pay their in-network rates for what the guy did so you get a check for $78.04. Bankruptcy here you come. Either way you have $0 and ruined credit. You actually could be worse off because you could have invested those premiums into something shelters from bankruptcy like a 401k.

Which is why we need single payer or at the very least regulations in allowable charges and a ban on balance billing (where the surgeon/hospital takes the insurance payment then comes after you for the rest).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently Mike Pence drew lame cartoons in college?

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a47983/mike-pence-cartoons-trump/

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

The art style of these reminds me of that lovely Neo-Nazi web comic where a white Christian kid gets adopted by an evil Jewish family.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yinlock posted:

good news friend, he's going to use his whining as a smokescreen to cover up/justify the jackbooted thugs

you get the best of both worlds!

This.

At this point I'm no longer underestimating Trump. I don't know if I'm fully on-board with the "Trump is secretly a genius" thing but whining clearly works for him as a way to distract from much worse stories so he's gonna keep doing it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hey guys in case you were getting comfortable:

Imagine the transition of power if Trump loses in a massive landslide in 2020 :grin:

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

SunAndSpring posted:

The art style of these reminds me of that lovely Neo-Nazi web comic where a white Christian kid gets adopted by an evil Jewish family.

They remind me of that lovely Jewish comic from the politoons thread where static Ziggy-ripoffs talk about how awful Palestinians are.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Business Gorillas posted:

Imagine the transition of power if Trump loses in a massive landslide in 2020 :grin:

What transition of power?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

You mean the one where all the people Trump is hiring now burn everything to the ground and salt the earth behind them, and all we can do is watch?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

speng31b posted:

You mean the one where all the people Trump is hiring now burn everything to the ground and salt the earth behind them, and all we can do is watch?

Imagine how many emails will be deleted.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Any links? Sounds hilarious.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Kro-Bar posted:

They remind me of that lovely Jewish comic from the politoons thread where static Ziggy-ripoffs talk about how awful Palestinians are.

Free Johnathan Pollard! I haven't thought about Dry Bones in years...

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

The first one is just a guy laughing because anal rape is funny.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Just wait until he has the FCC and Justice Department Antitrust Division at his disposal. I give SNL 3 months.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, the high risks pools just fundamentally do not work.

This is all the way back in 2013

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/the-trouble-with-high-risk-pools-as-a-conservative-alternative/

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/07/23/204819209/time-to-get-out-of-the-high-risk-health-insurance-pool

They just don't work.

Absolutely , the problem is people think that have a M.D. gives you some sort of insight into the healthcare industry when it most certainly does not.

Wait. So, the high risk pool thing was already apart of ACA? Ryan's plan isn't something that hasn't been tried yet? Also, I know he was saying $25 Billion for it. Is that a number pulled out of his rear end or does that correspond with expected cost? How much money is expected to be needed to keep it from running out?

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 20, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm digging the passive "there's no way this could have been prevented" tone

quote:

RALEIGH, N.C. — A woman was accidentally shot in the head on Saturday outside a gun show in Raleigh, according to authorities.

Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said three people were inside a pickup truck around 10:15 a.m. outside the Dixie Gun and Knife Show at the N.C. State Fairgrounds when the shooting happened. The driver, identified as 30-year-old William Daniel Glosson, of Cameron, had just bought two guns from the show.

Glosson, who has a concealed-carry permit, handed one of the unloaded guns to Lasonya Judd, who was sitting in the back seat, and he also handed her a loaded gun he already had in the truck. As Judd was looking at the guns, she accidentally fired one, and the bullet struck Alyssa Lewis Glosson, 29, in the back of the head while she was sitting in the truck's passenger seat.

"He handed it to the lady in the backseat. He says, look at this, and somehow or another when she grabbed it, the gun went off, discharged," Harrison said. "It looked like it might have hit the seat rest, so that could have stopped some of the impact."

Alyssa Glosson, who is married to William Glosson, was talking with emergency personnel when she was put in the ambulance to be taken to WakeMed. Authorities said the bullet hit the seat before striking Alyssa Glosson.

In a 911 call, the William Glosson said the gun went off accidently and "grazed" his wife's head. He said she had a headache and neck pain, but he described her as conscious and breathing.

The shooting on Saturday is the second accidental shooting at the same gun show in the last three years. In 2013, a 12-gauge shotgun discharged while its owner removed it from its case at a security checkpoint at the entrance to the show, according to previous reports.

Two people were shot in the incident—one in the hand and the other in the right torso.

Harrison said hopefully a lesson can come from the incident.

"Don't be handling a loaded firearm unless you know what you're doing," he said.

The shooting closed the show for a day, but it was reopened the next. Glosson was treated and released.

Also, I'm the typo "accidently".

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

It'd be kind of like how between Clinton and Bush Jr, the staffers removed the W from all the keyboards, only less in the prankish sense and more in the gutting the buildings to sell the copper pipes and wiring sense.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Deadulus posted:

Wait. So, the high risk pool thing was already apart of ACA? Ryan's plan isn't something that hasn't been tried yet? Also, I know he was saying $25 Billion for it. Is that a number for pulled out of his rear end or does that correspond with expected cost? How much money is expected to be needed to keep it from running out?

Paul Ryan is/was considered to be the GOP's numbers guy.

He pulls every single number out of his rear end. He and Cruz have an unspoken contest going on about who can spew more lies and straight up fabrications.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Paul Ryan has a basic understanding of economics. He majored in Economics in College so now he is a expert on economic policy. ( He's not he is kind of an idiot when it actually comes to understanding economics)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Having the president-elect make public statements like this (I don't care if it's "just" on Twitter) is no poo poo, legitimately scary.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadulus posted:

Wait. So, the high risk pool thing was already apart of ACA? Ryan's plan isn't something that hasn't been tried yet? Also, I know he was saying $25 Billion for it. Is that a number pulled out of his rear end or does that correspond with expected cost? How much money is expected to be needed to keep it from running out?

High Risk Pools have been attempted in the past ,but it's not necessarily a part of ACA its kind of the foundation of the idea of ACA ; everyone is mandated to have insurance and you can't deny pre-existing conditions.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Phone posted:

Paul Ryan is/was considered to be the GOP's numbers guy.

He pulls every single number out of his rear end. He and Cruz have an unspoken contest going on about who can spew more lies and straight up fabrications.

Reading that incidental economist article. $20 billion would be enough to handle 4 million high risk people. I assume there are a good bit more than 4 million people that are high risk.

Also, is Paul Ryan's 25 billion number per year or is that spread out over several years?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Paradoxish posted:

Having the president-elect make public statements like this (I don't care if it's "just" on Twitter) is no poo poo, legitimately scary.

Just wait until he's making fun of how we look standing in front of the tanks asking for "democracy".

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadulus posted:

Reading that incidental economist article. $20 billion would be enough to handle 4 million high risk people. I assume there are a good bit more than 4 million people that are high risk.

Also, is Paul Ryan's 25 billion number per year or is that spread out over several years?

That 25 billion is spread out among all 50 states so each state I am assuming get's a proportionate amount of money to manage the high risk pools.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Xae posted:

Am I crazy or are these questions written very oddly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hollismason posted:

That 25 billion is spread out among all 50 states so each state I am assuming get's a proportionate amount of money to manage the high risk pools.

And then the states can choose whether or not they want to accept the money because lol federalism.

• Locked thread