Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"independents" are just lying conservatives wanting to pretend they're above it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

"independents" are just lying conservatives wanting to pretend they're above it all.

Until the left stops saying immeasurably stupid poo poo like this we will lose every election, lol

There are a lot of conservative independents but there are a lot of liberal independents too. It's not like we didn't win 08 in part due to the independent vote. We also won in '12 (in part) because Independents ended up breaking for the incumbent. This "independents are all conservatives anyway!" poo poo comes up every time we lose in the midterms or a presidential (I remember 04) and it's the weakest leftist "I'm not responsible for anything :qq:" poo poo that somehow still plagues us decades later.

You don't have to compromise leftist ideals to win Independents, you just have to pitch them in the first place. We assumed voters would inform themselves without considering that the courtable center are mostly politically ignorant.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Nov 20, 2016

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Mirthless posted:

lately especially

the post-election protests have all been sour grapes and so embarrassing for the left. Even the Tea Partiers waited, for the most part, until after January to completely flip their poo poo

Lol bullshit

An open white supremacist is in the white house, elected as such. There's no sour grapes, it's about what people are willing to tolerate

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fiction posted:

Lol bullshit

An open white supremacist is in the white house, elected as such. There's no sour grapes, it's about what people are willing to tolerate

:shrug:

I object to it too but I'm not the rest of the country.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
I don't buy your anecdotal evidence that protests are gonna turn everyone towards trump. People do not like the guy, and are right to express themselves.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Groovelord Neato posted:

whoops,

ya got me, the berniecrat that was living a lie all along. :negative:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fiction posted:

I don't buy your anecdotal evidence that protests are gonna turn everyone towards trump. People do not like the guy, and are right to express themselves.

I'm glad you don't buy that evidence because that's not a thing I said, or even close to a thing I said

edit: I mean just in case you haven't figured this out yet, the protests don't have to turn everyone towards Trump because everyone is already turned towards Trump

If your goal is to get them to turn back maybe we should stop screaming about the electoral college and how dumb everybody else is for a few seconds because the perception of all of those people who were Democrats six months ago in Michigan right now is that the liberal elitists are mad and want to disenfranchise them in the future because they picked the candidate the ivory tower didn't want.

Pop your loving bubble dude because you can't see past it right now and it's killing me

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Nov 20, 2016

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

:cripes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i don't call myself a liberal b/c that term implies that you support capitalism

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am a registered independent AMA

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

loquacius posted:

I am a registered independent AMA

Heh look at this virtue signaling republican :smug:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i don't call myself a liberal b/c that term implies that you support capitalism

:vince:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mirthless posted:

It's not about giving him a chance, it's about giving the rest of America the perception that you're not dismissing their opinions out of hand before you have a chance to see the results. This isn't about Trump, it's about the working class who think (rightly) that we're elitists who do not respect them.

It's one thing if we're dealing with a candidate who got elected on GOP votes but Trump captured the lion's share of independents and the wind is generally blowing in Trump's direction right now. It is trivial for him to paint the protestors as childish and if you haven't been paying attention to the world outside of the liberal sphere, allow me to inform you: it is working. Very, very well.

It's working class people out in the streets right now. Middle class people sided decisively for Trump. Poor people didn't vote. There's no need to respect the opposition's opinion here, especially considering how much voter suppression was at play.

Quit worrying about how things look so drat much. People need an outlet for their rage, and we should be seizing the opportunity to organize them. Not to tut-tut and pretend that everything is fine, while the entire establishment consensus was traumatically debunked.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
LOL WHAT THE gently caress

https://twitter.com/antoniodelotero/status/798932564434006016

I guess I stopped paying attention back home because it's STILL this bad in Flint?

I know how Hillary could have won the rust belt: By spending the last month of the election campaigning against Rick loving Snyder instead of Trump and fixing the loving Flint water crisis. How did we let this entire election go by without the left actually taking some positive action on this??? The whole country was outraged about what was going on in Flint.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reminder that trump still hasn't released his taxes and no one cares

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah we all collectively stopped talking about flint because 1) environmental health crises are boring, and 2) they already had a primary debate there that should be good enough for those people

hillary couldn't even pretend to give a poo poo about human suffering and neither could the national media

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's working class people out in the streets right now. Middle class people sided decisively for Trump. Poor people didn't vote. There's no need to respect the opposition's opinion here, especially considering how much voter suppression was at play.

Quit worrying about how things look so drat much. People need an outlet for their rage, and we should be seizing the opportunity to organize them. Not to tut-tut and pretend that everything is fine, while the entire establishment consensus was traumatically debunked.

Hillary won an extremely low share of working class people for a Democrat considering how strong her minority support was. Obama had 22 points on Romney in the <50k bracket in 2012, Hillary had barely 10. 12 points is a huge loving loss when you are utterly dependent on that group to win elections.

We need to find a way to bring these people back into the party at the same time we are organizing. A productive and organized protest movement might work, but that is not at all what is going on right now, lol

Edit: And the Electoral College poo poo just needs to straight up loving stop right now, both the Abolish camp and the Supplant the Will of the Electorate camps just need to stop talking. It is pretty much the least helpful thing we have going right now, the margins were thin and there is a lot of the country that we are talking about disenfranchising right now. It would be one thing if she carried by 5 points but lol dude half a percent is not exactly a PV mandate

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Nov 20, 2016

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mirthless posted:

https://twitter.com/antoniodelotero/status/798932564434006016

I guess I stopped paying attention back home because it's STILL this bad in Flint?

gently caress it
they went red this election

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mirthless posted:

oh yea, it's still there definitely and it's not going away.

how does the flint water supply make you feel in 3 emojis or less

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mirthless posted:

Hillary won an extremely low share of working class people for a Democrat considering how strong her minority support was. Obama had 22 points on Romney in the <50k bracket in 2012, Hillary had barely 10. 12 points is a huge loving loss when you are utterly dependent on that group to win elections.

We need to find a way to bring these people back into the party at the same time we are organizing. A productive and organized protest movement might work, but that is not at all what is going on right now, lol

You're completely missing the point here. Working class people always have low turnout. They're not a real Republican constituency. You get them to vote Democratic by speaking to their rage and promising a better future. You don't do it by condescending to them, and wringing your hands about the optics of protest.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

a.lo posted:

gently caress it

Yeah let em drink poo poo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
how do i become a republican

i am white and male

i think life would be easier that way

is there a book

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

how do i become a republican

i am white and male

i think life would be easier that way

is there a book

maybe think about oh i don't know.......growing up???

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a.lo posted:

gently caress it

For a second I thought you meant Genesee County, where Flint is located, voted for Trump, and holy poo poo would that be a fiasco for the Dems if it were true

Hillary won it, though. By less than ten points.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

a.lo posted:

gently caress it

and now their kids are all gonna be retarded or imprisoned from impulsive crimes

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You're completely missing the point here. Working class people always have low turnout.

??? What does that have to do with anything I said ???

quote:

They're not a real Republican constituency. You get them to vote Democratic by speaking to their rage and promising a better future.

Yes that is exactly what I have been saying I'm glad we are on the same page

quote:

You don't do it by condescending to them, and wringing your hands about the optics of protest.

apparently we aren't because this statement completely contradicts the last statement you made.

What do you think the protests are if not condescending to the working class? In what way do the protests speak to the rage of a working class and promise a better future for them?

And why do you assume it's the working class out there protesting, anyway? From everything I've seen it's just what counts as the "core left" now - minorities and white millennials. While those are both frequently working class demos, they are not the particular group of liberals we lost this election and need to win back. The liberals we lost this election are the kind of people who think they are being condescended to when they hear a pundit on TV talk about Hillary winning "educated whites" because they are literally too uneducated to know the difference between "uneducated" and "stupid". Optics loving matter. Optics always mattered.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

anecdotally I heard from people in Flint that they were very, very unimpressed by the Democratic response to the water crisis

like Obama's stunt where he drank the water did not go over well

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and now their kids are all gonna be retarded or imprisoned from impulsive crimes

flint has been hosed up for over 2 years this was gonna happen anyway

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

So really, they did vote for the status quo

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah cool their website is great, what about their events? Last time I was in Boise, leftist demonstrations were kind of rare

"Their website is great"

More than can be said about 90% of locals, according to this thread. Which is my point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LinYutang posted:

anecdotally I heard from people in Flint that they were very, very unimpressed by the Democratic response to the water crisis

can't blame 'em

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LinYutang posted:

Apparently it wasn't his plan to drink the water, he got ambushed. Obama, in his quest to be presidential, didn't do what everyone in Michigan would have cheered at; he didn't just pour it out on Rick Snyder's dumb loving shoes.

TBH if our next progressive president (if we ever get one) ever again makes a sacrifice like this for the sake of maintaining their legacy I will never vote for a leftist ever again in my life. gently caress you, Obama. gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress you.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

also why didn't Obama go to Flint or Detroit to get out the vote? why did they send bill? he's not actually the first black president!! jesus

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

LinYutang posted:

also why didn't Obama go to Flint or Detroit to get out the vote? why did they send bill? he's not actually the first black president!! jesus

I think Obama tried very hard to stay away from any "controversial" black issues for his entire term of office, and the Flint water crisis was apparently one of them.

You'd think the first black president would have actually done something with all these civil rights protests and everything, but nope, total silence from the white house for the overwhelming majority of the time the protests have been running

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm an "Independent" on every political survey, friendo. :v:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

NumberLast posted:

"Their website is great"

More than can be said about 90% of locals, according to this thread. Which is my point.

Yeah, having a good website is great and all, but now they need to put it to good use

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I think Obama tried very hard to stay away from any "controversial" black issues for his entire term of office, and the Flint water crisis was apparently one of them.

You'd think the first black president would have actually done something with all these civil rights protests and everything, but nope, total silence from the white house for the overwhelming majority of the time the protests have been running

conservatives blame him for all of the protests anyway so I don't know what the gently caress he thought he was accomplishing

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah, having a good website is great and all, but now they need to put it to good use

You're blatantly ignoring me. Okay.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're really dumb if you actually think this about people not pledging their allegiance to one of the two corporatist warmongering political parties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fullhouse posted:

conservatives blame him for all of the protests anyway so I don't know what the gently caress he thought he was accomplishing

exactly

I feel like he spent his whole presidency trying to not make conservatives think he was anti-white when they always thought that and never stopped thinking that at any point during his presidency

• Locked thread