Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah not afraid to say Greg was my favorite thing about this show, and Greg songs were the best songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Escobarbarian posted:

.....i am heartbroken :(

i trust the show to power through because it's killin it atm but right now greg is SUCH an essential part of the show to me, and easily my favourite character, so this really stinks

You'll be seeing a memory spirit of Greg in future episodes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lotus circle posted:

Her husband may not be the smartest guy, but he's definitely supportive and it's good to see at least one healthy relationship on the show.*

*Darryl and WiJo aside.

Darryl and WiJo hardly count when we never actually see them on-screen together.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

WHAT.

oh god this will kill EmmyOk.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I just wanted to say that "Getting Bi" has been my go-to to reassure girls and that I love this series for it. There has been way too few positive bi men in TV and I still remember when Sex and the City showed it as a duplicitous trait, So yeah, I adore this series because of that.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

I just wanted to say that "Getting Bi" has been my go-to to reassure girls

What does this mean?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Greg was also my favorite thing. Please stay good, show.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Disgusting Coward posted:

What does this mean?

Well I'm bisexual and a lot of women get nervous about it, so a funny song saying "hey I like dudes but I'm not going to cheat on you" has been a real godsend.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Greg is one of my favorite parts of the show but I agree with everything that was said in that article. Him returning to West Covina anytime soon would be a massive step backwards. Hes making smart and mature choices and getting out of his rut in WC was as much a big thing as getting distance from his dysfunctional relationship with Rebecca. And it's best for Rebecca because she needs to not be with a guy and picking up some friends going through their own changes in Heather and Valencia could be the best thing.

So yeah, I'll miss him but it's for the best.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

ManlyGrunting posted:

Well I'm bisexual and a lot of women get nervous about it, so a funny song saying "hey I like dudes but I'm not going to cheat on you" has been a real godsend.

So some woman is like "I have concerns about your sexual orientation" and your response is to show them a music video from a niche comedy about mental illness.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I will miss Greg, but I hope he does well. The drinking song cut deep as a recovering alcoholic.

e: yeah, pretty much. Sometimes you need an outside source and comedy can cut the tension

e2; but I will admit it is not always the best idea.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 14, 2016

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I haven't seen the last 2 eps due to being out of town and being busy but greg no why auuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tonight's episode was a bit more light-hearted. Good development for Josh, and for Darryl and White Josh's relationship.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The lesson here is that if you want to bond with someone, you should kidnap them to have a shared drug dream in the desert before peeing on something together.
Josh is seriously kinda mentally unwell.

Also that college douche was great. Of course he has a fedora!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 19, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I was wondering how they were gonna make Valencia a regular again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wtf HOW IS THIS SEASON SO CONSISTENTLY GREAT

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Thought Bubbles is easily my favorite Josh solo song so far. And I really liked Ping Pong Girl.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Weak episode :( Only one song? wtf Not much humor--mostly plot/character work. Low budget drug trip, contrived relationship and friendship drama. The only great moment was the trilby hat. "Ugh, of course."

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

MrBuddyLee posted:

Weak episode :( Only one song? wtf Not much humor--mostly plot/character work. Low budget drug trip, contrived relationship and friendship drama. The only great moment was the trilby hat. "Ugh, of course."

Literally everything you wanted to happen in your last post happened so I dunno what there is to complain about.

Also who the hell complains about plot and character development in a serialized show? Like what?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bloody hate when a television show focuses on the characters! It's like just be silly, ffs

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Thought Bubbles goes such lengths to make me finally like Josh as a character. I feel like I struggle with that exact problem constantly.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Zaggitz posted:

Literally everything you wanted to happen in your last post happened so I dunno what there is to complain about.

Also who the hell complains about plot and character development in a serialized show? Like what?

Obviously the episode was missing a musical number where the three girls complain about men. It's right there in the post you are referencing.
But yeah, complaining about plot/character work feels kinda weird. "I really like this office comedy, but I think it should focus less on developing the characters and more on what's really important. Filling out contracts and forms, writing letters and emails. making telephone calls and you commute!"

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I liked the episode but I am kinda sad that Valencia bought into Bexs crazy. Up to know she has reliably told Bex where to get off and realized what she was up to. I really enjoyed the Paula scenes and the fact she is making new friends and out doing new shenanigans. I missed his name but his comments about Bex being all "me me me" were so true. Run free Paula!
Of course, D and Chiphunk remain the best, sensible, realistic and wonderful.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Zaggitz posted:

The show's been able to push plot and develop characters before without being humorless.

I remember a second funny thing about the episode. Heather's $5 rule.

I think it's cool that they took two amazing ballet dancers in the cast and gave them a two minute dream sequence. But it was mostly awful and no substitute for a quality song. I mean, it's a musical.. people tune in for two fun songs a week.

They had to kickstart three new story arcs, which takes time, but I don't think there's been a less funny episode since.. I can't even remember? The Josh-Darryl relationship drama was clunky as hell and utterly predictable and I think devoid of humor? The Rebecca-Valencia time was 95% Bex annoying V and 5% pee-bonding. Sunil and Paula were adorable but not really funny. I love this show and put it like #3 or so on my 2015 list, and I understand maybe some of you liked this ep but I think they hosed up the funny-meaningful balance they usually get so right. They've gotta be especially careful right now considering they've lost Greg and seem to be transitioning away from rom-com towards friendship stories.

Forgot the best line of the episode. "A shirt with sleeves. You meeting the President?"

tessiebee posted:

I liked the episode but I am kinda sad that Valencia bought into Bexs crazy.
Yeah, V seemed pretty out of character, I suppose that was the point but I'm not sure I buy that she would be this tolerant after being so infuriated by the disco kiss, the courtroom kiss, etc.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
As a people myself, I personally don't tune in every episode to make sure the show hits that two-songs-an-episode mark. Didn't we get three songs in an episode earlier this season? We're just evening out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the shows got all kinds of fans. I consider the music the weakest part of the show most of the time so I'm not remotely bothered by 1 song and 1 dance number. Especially since I thought both were pretty funny and the song actually did the rare thing of making Josh more sympathetic.

I have no problem with Valencia's behavior either. She was properly suspect of Rebecca but went along with it because she's obviously unhappy and lonely. Rebecca's plot this week was just to bond with Valencia enough to bitch about Josh, with the twist being that Rebecca realized V was so much more hurt and wronged by Josh. Valencia broke up with the guy shes been with her entire life after he neglected her, was emotionally distant, dragging on the relationship, and basically cheated on her. She has a right to be depressed.

I think the most unique thing about the episode was that it was more of an ensemble show than driven by Rebecca. Paula, White Josh & Darryl, and most of Josh's stories happened entirely independent of Rebecca. As the show becomes less about Rebecca's romantic delusions it probably needs to be more of an ensemble, but some fans seemed to not love it right away.

Personally I'm fine with it because I like the cast of characters and have been finding Rebecca far less sympathetic this season. The "gut punch" episode was kind of a down one for me because I realized I kind of think Rebecca is the bad guy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

STAC Goat posted:

Personally I'm fine with it because I like the cast of characters and have been finding Rebecca far less sympathetic this season. The "gut punch" episode was kind of a down one for me because I realized I kind of think Rebecca is the bad guy.

I mean that's always been the thing. It's even a song in season 1!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but it had started to have the affect where I was feeling less sympathy for her. The way they played her sadness parallel to Paula handling her own stuff in silence really left me spending that whole episode just not liking Rebecca enough to feel for her.

For me the show needs some time away from Rebecca's worse qualities and on her realizing how her actions and behavior have affected others. Which seems to be where they're going with it, so I'm good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MrBuddyLee is an idiot, if that helps

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, but it had started to have the affect where I was feeling less sympathy for her. The way they played her sadness parallel to Paula handling her own stuff in silence really left me spending that whole episode just not liking Rebecca enough to feel for her.

For me the show needs some time away from Rebecca's worse qualities and on her realizing how her actions and behavior have affected others. Which seems to be where they're going with it, so I'm good.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I feel for Rebecca, I see a lot of myself/past/issues in her and I'm sure I'm not alone in that, but at the moment I really don't like her at all. I'm rooting for everyone else though and I can't hate x

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I think the big challenge the show faces is that there was constant dramatic potential and tension inherent in the relationship drama, which made it easy to ratchet up the Crazy to believable levels. I don't feel like there's quite as much Crazy potential in Rebecca-Paula or any other relationship she has, so I'm thinking maybe Josh's new girlfriend gets Josh-Crazy which lets the girls see everything from a new perspective.

She could be simultaneously low-level stalked by Trent, which would be amazing.

Escobarbarian posted:

MrBuddyLee is an idiot, if that helps
Friends, friends, friends, you definitely have friends.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MrBuddyLee posted:

I think the big challenge the show faces is that there was constant dramatic potential and tension inherent in the relationship drama, which made it easy to ratchet up the Crazy to believable levels. I don't feel like there's quite as much Crazy potential in Rebecca-Paula or any other relationship she has, so I'm thinking maybe Josh's new girlfriend gets Josh-Crazy which lets the girls see everything from a new perspective.
As we got toward the end of the first season, I thought that Valencia would become the "crazy ex-girlfriend" for the second season. Obviously it didn't end up happening, but I thought it could have been a neat transition.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think part of the problem is that in S1 they had this good thing where Rebecca was regularly against the crazy antics and Paula was pushing it. Paula was bringing out the worst in Rebecca even when Rebecca tried to be better, so as a result it made Rebecca more sympathetic and Paula a little less.

Then the show went through the effort of developing Paula and having her grow, which has been good and made me really like Paula. But it's meant every crazy action Rebecca has made has been driven by her. Greg's drying up and leaving probably factored in a bit too.

They seem like they're going to deal with Josh's issues which could help cover for some reduced crazy from Rebecca. Throw in Heather and Valencia and make Rebecca's struggles be with her female relationships and the mess shes made of her friendship with Paula. It will be a different show theme but the show could use that to avoid wearing out its welcome.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If Darryl and White Josh ever break up I will be devastated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. That relationship really hasn't gotten enough time for me to feel much about it. Its partially that White Josh is such a flimsy character who until very recently seemed to only be there as a one note joke (sorry you're alone now, Hector). Its also partially that its Darryl's first gay relationship and first relationship after his divorce so it kind of seems like it screams "rebound." They'll have to do some more work like this past episode to invest me into this couple.

As said, they started to do some good work on that this episode. Showing that White Josh was insecure enough to worry about why he hadn't met Darryl's daughter was good as well as him seemingly (arguably) having some of the same concerns I have about it being Darryl's first male relationship and how serious that makes it.

I almost feel like the "WiJo" thing they seem to be forcing is kind of a signal that he's a real character now and not just a joke played off the "real" Josh. If they could do it over I bet they would have skipped that joke and given him another name.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 22, 2016

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I love the show and skip every single song when it comes up, so I don't see a problem with only having one per episode. There are plenty of us that hate musicals but love to watch this.

I loved the ep because of the character moments and moving away from the Josh stuff to focus on the other relationships. It's nice to see Paula having her own arc, and D-Josh is just so incredibly sweet that I hope it remains a stalwart contrast to everyone elses' lives going to poo poo at some point.

Also Heather remains the best.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Neglected the bestie the last while with work and other stuff and c'mon Greg after this song please do get on the plane.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He left and I don't know if that is good or bad, probably good but my head is all full of gently caress.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

there there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Axel Serenity posted:

I love the show and skip every single song when it comes up, so I don't see a problem with only having one per episode. There are plenty of us that hate musicals but love to watch this.

If you skip all the songs how will you ever be a good father?!

WOAH WOAH WOAH

That's another bad post.

No No No No,

I don't like that post.

• Locked thread