Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
They stopped doing that for non-romance novels like over a decade ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Gridlocked posted:

Hey McD these scenes with Jun, if we had a better relationship with one of the other girls would we be getting these scenes with them instead?

I ask cause this is a Japanese character game and thus I assume at some point the game will tell us which girl our character ends up with cause well frankly they all basically end up like that.

Let's put it this way, we would be getting these scenes for the other girls if we had had a higher Sense of them in the beginning. However, I don't know just how much they impact the game because I only ever did one playthrough of my own, and so this is the first comparison that I have. I know about the big thing they do (even if I had to be told about it), but I'm not sure about the rest of the game and what the overall impact is.

I'll just say "don't worry about it" like I know what I'm talking about. We have much more stuff to get through before this becomes really relevant. For now, it's just bonus scenes with Jun and more Jun overall. And from what I've been gathering from you guys, that's a plus.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 20, 2016

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
When I did my playthrough, I got scenes with Ena. I am roughly certain they did not affect the overall outcome of the game, but we'll see when we get to that point.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheMcD posted:

And from what I've been gathering from you guys, that's a plus.

I like Kazami more :(

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Laboratory: 09/16/2030, 11:48 - Part 3

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

So this time around, let's crank Watase's ever mysterious Sense of self to the max and see what happens. Probably something good.

Moribe, you go on ahead!
Huh!? What about you!?
I'm gonna search this room a little while longer! I have a feeling that there's something here!

Watase said that over his shoulder, then started searching the room.

'The hell are you talking about!? If you stay in a contaminated zone any longer--
Just go already! I'm doing this only for my own satisfaction!
...! ...Then I'm staying!
Wha-!?

Watase was about to shout ''You idiot! Go back!'' when--

Your intuition's as sharp as hell most of the time! If you think something's here, then I bet you're right!

Jun then immediately began helping with the search.

Tch, fine, but 30 seconds and we're out of here!

And while there weren't any survivors there--

I-I found a medical box!
Seriously!? Is anything in it!?

Watase opened it up to find-- 5 ampules of AD.

W-we did it!
All right! Good work! Let's get back to the outer ring now!
Yeah!

Watase and Jun took the medical box and raced out of the room.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Over Eighty Percent: 09/16/2030, 11:54 - Part 2

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Haah...!
Whew, that was nerve-wracking...!
Still, the danger was well worth it, wouldn't you say?

But Jun's face soon clouded over.

Y-yeah...
Huh? Hey, what's wrong?
Ah, no, sorry... I just feel a little... ... Ugh!

Jun covered her mouth and bent over.

Moribe!?
Captain, don't look! I'm gonna hurl!
Wait, what's that mean agai... ah!
Urrrrrrgh!

Jun turned her back on Watase and threw up in a corner of the hallway. Watase watched all that in dumbfoundment. Jun soon finished vomiting and managed a smile on her pale face.

...Man, sorry you had to see that. I'm so embarrassed I wanna die.
M-Moribe... Hey, don't tell me you got radiation damage...!?
Huh? N-no, no, that's not it. I was just so nervous and ran around so much that my fatigue finally caught up with my stomach, that's all.
Seriously!? Hey, let me see your wrist!

Watase grabbed Jun by the wrist.

Hey! 'the hell you doing, you perv!?
Shut up! Keep it down for a minute!

Normally, all five lights would be green, but this time-- one of them was bright red.

It's red! That means there's something wrong with your body, right!?
Whoa, hold your horses, that's just the 'pulse' indicator, right? My heart's just racing a bit 'cause I just got done blowing chunks all over the floor... it'll be green again soon. See?

See, I'm all better now. Right as rain.
I see... well, okay then...
But hey, are -you- okay? You having another headache?
Huh? Oh... no, I'm all good.

He then realized something. The strange feeling he'd felt when he'd entered the contaminated zone had vanished.

(So it really was the effects of the radiation...)

But that's why Watase was worried. Like him, Jun had also been in a contaminated zone twice. Watase was stronger than her and even he'd fainted. Meaning there was no guarantee someone with such a small body like Jun's would be okay.

...Tell me right away if something comes up.
Thanks for worrying about me. You really are acting so nice today.
What're you talking about? It's only natural to be worried about your partner.

The two of them smiled at each other. Frail smiles, but smiles nonetheless.

...Anyway, looks like we found quite the treasure back there, huh?
No kidding. It's too bad that we didn't find any survivors... but it sure is good we found the AD so quickly this time around!

With the five he'd found in the contaminated zone, Watase now had six AD on him. They still had plenty of time left until the next injection, so they could take it easy for a while.

All right! Then let's regroup with the others! I'm sure they'll be as happy as we are!
Yeah!

Watase and Jun then ran off together.

Oh? That was rather quick.
You're done searching the inner ring?
Yeah. And guess what we found...
More AD!

Everyone's eyes widened at once.

How many did you find...?
Five. Now we have six altogether.
This is wonderful! It's a good thing you found them quickly this time.
So there -was- a lot of AD stored in Area 5! It's just like the disaster prevention manual said!
Indeed. Now we can rest easy.

--They chose to keep the fact that the inner ring was contaminated a secret. With their search of it over, they didn't need to give the rest of the group any unnecessary worry.

By the way, how about you guys?
Find anything?

The rest of the group's faces dimmed slightly.

No, nothing on our end... no AD and no survivors.
However, we did come across these...

Ukita held out a bunch of security cards, all labeled ''Lv6''.

You found that many Level 6 cards?
We found those three in the same room. It appears they belong to the person who manages and creates these cards.
Or perhaps they belong to facility inspectors...

Either way, they now had four Level 6 cards. But there wasn't much use in having so many cards of the same level.

...The cards don't matter. The survivors are much more important. I wonder why we can't find any of them. Area 6 is the only place we haven't searched yet, right?
Yeah... It really is... kinda strange that we still haven't found them.

They'd already finished searching over 80% of the facility. Meaning the survivors were either somewhere the group didn't know, or were already dead.

(Is there any place we overlooked? Are their bodies there...?)

The air grew heavily still as if Watase's sentiments had spread to everyone else. But-- a timid voice rose as if to cut through all that.

U-Um... I think it'd be better... if we think positively instead.
Huh?
Wouldn't it be best to believe that the fact we haven't seen them yet... means that everyone's still alive? ...I'm sure they're all in Area 6.

Watase was astonished at the longest declaration he'd ever heard Yuuri speak. But something gradually crept out of the depths of his stomach.

...You're right.
...Indeed.
Yep, Yuuri's absolutely right!
See...?

Yuuri's peaceful smile dispelled the shadows shrouding everyone's faces.

Indeed... Thinking dark thoughts all the time won't do any good.
That's right. Ms. Sannomiya and all the others are strong kids.
All right...! Then let's continue with the search, people!
Yes. Even if they haven't escaped, we should definitely find them in Area 6.

The group all nodded at each other and started walking off. Their final destination was ''Area 6'', where all of their hopes lay--!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Factory: 09/16/2030, 11:56 - Part 2

The Procyon's alarm didn't go off, meaning they didn't have to worry about radiation here. And when they cleared the passageway--

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

They found themselves face to face with a bizarre room.

...!?

Watase was speechless at the sight he was staring at. The room was more like something out of a factory instead of a research facility. Large machines, forklifts, cranes, and mountains of materials were lined up.

It appeared that the room covered both B1 and B2.

What the hell is this place...!?
This is the development block, nicknamed the 'Factory'. This is my first time here too... but I never imagined the damage would be this bad.

The machines there had been burned to hell and back, just as Ukita said. The ladder leading up to the catwalks had been warped horribly, leaving them unreachable.

Looks like the fire here was really bad...

Just as Watase muttered that--

We hear some creaking.

It looks like the ceiling's collapsing too, doesn't it... Be careful everyone, it's still a bit dangerous.

Jun then checked her Procyon.

The reading is-- '3711 mSv'. Still within the safety standard.

The team of four will search the factory, while the team of two will search the inner ring.

No one offered any objections to that proposal.

Okay, then I'll take care of the search of the inner ring.

Watase then thought about who he should pair up with--

So this branch decides who we team up with in the search of the inner ring. Last time, we went at it alone and it took time. This time, with Jun at 8, Kazami at 7 and Ena at 3, we'll team up with Jun.

Sounds nice. Don't change what ain't broken, right?
Then please leave the search of the factory to us.
Okay, let's get to searching, people.
Roger.

With Watase's command as the trigger, the group split up into their teams.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey, uh, having AD saves us, but it doesn't save Yuuri...

:ohdear:

E: Oh wait you don't have to go looking now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AlphaKretin posted:

Hey, uh, having AD saves us, but it doesn't save Yuuri...

:ohdear:

E: Oh wait you don't have to go looking now.

The key difference here - I already half spoiled it anyway - is that in the bad end, Watase just ran off on his own, so Yuuri got crushed while we were on the way back. This time around, we'll have Jun with us, and the search can go faster.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah, that was meant to be more speculation than plot hole poking, but it was sort of self defeating because I realised I was wrong. :v:

Don't try to think through VNs while kept awake by a hot night. :australia:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Still no sign of those meddling kids.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Hey McD these scenes with Jun, if we had a better relationship with one of the other girls would we be getting these scenes with them instead?

I ask cause this is a Japanese character game and thus I assume at some point the game will tell us which girl our character ends up with cause well frankly they all basically end up like that.

It's not really exclusive like that, the scenes for each girl are at different points in the game and you can get most of them in one playthrough if you keep senses high. Think of it as us deciding which girls we're really close friends with at the end of the game, you can have multiple. We're just not getting Kazami scenes because we barely missed on her first one due to low points (and once you miss one for a girl you're done with her), and Ena has always been low. In this case if you've messed up with Jun I think he just goes exploring the contaminated area on his own (the bad end is still there).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Still no sign of those meddling kids.
The gang keeps saying they have to be further in, but at this point I'm starting to wonder if they missed each other and the kids are actually in an earlier area.

The ring system has been set up as a steady story progession, so probably not, but you never know.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Buddy & Buddy: 09/16/2030, 11:57

Yeah, I'm sure of it.

After that brief exchange, the two of them checked all the rooms in a hurry. All the while believing they'd find the survivors in one of them.

They're not here...?
No, hold on... let's check B1.

They then headed in the direction of the stairwell--

The part on Bl was intact, but everything below it had crumbled, leaving it impossible to climb.

Tch, not again.
Boy, this is the pits. The factory's basically two floors in one room, so this is the only staircase... Should we use the elevator shaft again?
No, wait, is there any way we can get up...?

It was at that moment that Watase remembered what he had with him.

I think we'll be able to get up with this.

Watase calmly picked up some debris and tied the end of the rope to it. He then tossed the rope up, and it caught on the B1 staircase.

Good, we can do this!
Nice one! Okay, first one to the top wins!
Hey, how're we supposed to race each other when there's only one rope? Just climb normally.
Aw c'mon, you're such a killjoy.

The two of them climbed the rope as they smiled at their playful exchange. --The two of them then left the rope where it was. That way they could use it again when they had to go back down, and there was a chance they might need to climb back up anyway.

Yeah!

The two of them then started searching the floor in high spirits.

Jun shouted as soon as she walked in.

Hey, isn't that a Procyon!?
Huh?

What's something like this doing here?
It's not that surprising. LABO -was- the one who gave us the Procyons in the first place, after all.
Oh, right. Anyway, this is a pretty good find.
Yep! Now we can split into three teams!

They didn't know if the need for that would ever arise, but the two of them decided to take it just to be safe. They looked around to see if there was anything else worth taking with them. Though they didn't find any AD-- there was a bound stack of papers on the table that Watase took interest in.

...Hmm? 'Disaster Prevention Manual'?
Isn't that the thing Yuuri found a while back?
No, it's a bit different. This one says 'For Area 5 and 6 Staff'.

Watase and Jun stood together to read the manual. Most of it was more or less the same as the one Yuuri had shown them, but there was a new page at the very end not present in the other manual.

A cargo lift...!?

The two of them started trembling when they read that passage.

'Evacuate to a safe zone'... does that mean...!?
That there's a way for us to escape to the surface-- even in this situation!?

Watase and Jun looked at each other. They were both grinning from ear to ear. After being trapped in the basement all this time-- they'd finally found the clue they needed about the one escape route that still worked!

But where the heck is it!?
It might be somewhere in that burnt to hell factory... though I didn't notice anything earlier... But we need to look for the survivors first! Locating an escape route means nothing if we don't find them!
drat right!

Watase shoved the manual into his pocket and ran out of the room. However-- in the end, they went through all the rooms, yet found no hide nor hair of the survivors or any AD.

The two of them headed for the connecting passageway that led to the factory.

The only thing up ahead was the factory, meaning that they'd completed their search of the inner ring.

That's odd... we didn't find Natsuhiko or anybody else here.
Yeah, I agree. But maybe they're in the factory.
Then let's go back and help the other team with their search!
Yeah. Or maybe they--

But before Watase could say any more,

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

he suddenly heard a sound at his feet.

!?
What was that!?

(The floor's giving way!)

Just as Watase thought that-- time slowed down for him. He was seeing everything in slow motion. Jun tried to jump back at once. But-- the floor at her feet collapsed right then.

Hyaah!
Moribe!

♪ BGM: The Truth is Revealed

Watase shot his hand out as fast as lightning and grabbed Jun's arm. Pain ran through his cracked ribs instantly.

(Ghh!!)

But he put up with it and grasped Jun's arm tightly. Dust blew up from the crumbled floor, but it soon began to clear up--

Revealing Jun's face on the other side.

Phew... That sure was a close call, wasn't it?
Captain...! Incredible! It all happened so fast that I couldn't react, but you...!
Well... I thought it looked dangerous, that's all.
Still, I nearly had a heart attack there... I didn't think the floor would just collapse so suddenly like that.
Yeah, that was scary. It must have been your weight that broke the passageway.

Hey, were you born with no manners at all!? That's not something you tell a lady!
Ha ha ha, I'm just kidding. I'm gonna pull you up now, so give me your hand.
Roger-dodger.

Watase grabbed Jun's other hand and pulled her up.

Nope... not physically. But my heart's been horribly wounded, no thanks to someone.
That's good. But still--

Watase looked at the now partially collapsed passageway.

I guess Area 6 got damaged really badly by that fire...
Yeah... I hope the others are okay.
Let's get back to them and make sure.

The two of them nodded at each other, then ran through the passageway together.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cargo Lift: 09/16/2030, 12:00

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Captain! Did something happen!?
We heard this strange thump...
Oh, it was no big deal. Just the connecting passageway collapsing, that's all.
Anyways, did you guys find the survivors?
Unfortunately... no.
We made sure to leave no stone unturned, but we found not even a trace of the survivors.
Um, did you find anyone in the inner ring...?
No, no one on our end either.

The group had already finished exploring all the areas in LABO. But they hadn't found the survivors anywhere-- not even any bodies of them.

Then... I guess there's no doubt about it.
Huh?
They already escaped through the cargo lift!
Oh yeah, of course! That makes total sense!

Kazami and the others looked confused at Watase's proclamation.

Cargo lift? What do you mean?
It looks like there's a lift in the factory we can use to escape to the surface!
Here, take a look at this!

Watase said that and showed the disaster prevention manual he'd found earlier to the others.

I see... I never knew we had something like that!
Yes, it's possible to get out this way...!
Right!? So did any of you guys find anything that looked like a lift in the factory?
No, we did not... but perhaps that's what -that- was.

She was staring at the farthest wall from them-- where, for some reason, a security gate stood.

...What's a security gate doing in a random place like that?
We found it strange as well. It didn't seem to fit with everything else, so we investigated it, but... We couldn't get in because the security slot was burned in the fire, so we gave up on searching it.
But past that gate is the only part of the factory we haven't searched yet. If there really is a cargo lift, then it must be there!
...!

The whole group was all smiles. They only had six AD, but if they managed to escape, then they wouldn't need them anymore. Their journey full of hardships was finally coming to an end!

All right! Then let's find a way to open that gate!
Couldn't we use the air ducts to get over it like that other time?
Unfortunately, the ceiling is too high up, so we don't have a way to get in there.
Then what if we used the engine cutter to break down the gate?
We already tried that. We went back to the makeshift base and got it. But seeing as how the cutter failed to make even a dent in it, that gate must be quite sturdy.
Great, just great!
...How can we open it...?

Watase looked at Yuuri.

(Dammit, the exit's right in front of us...! We have to get that gate open no matter what it takes... so that we can save Yuuri!)

But just as Watase thought this-- --he and everyone else suddenly heard a strange noise.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dramatic Rescue: 09/16/2030, 12:02

♪ BGM: Abyss

Watase instantly felt a shock run through his spine. Several large objects were falling from up above. Taken aback by this, he looked up to see-- --the ceiling breaking apart!

Guys, get out of here!

The ceiling started to collapse at the same time he shouted that.

Kyaah!
E-eeek!

Ena and Ukita screamed. Debris, pebbles, scraps of iron, steel frames, and iron plates came falling down one after another.

Yuuri tripped and fell on her backside. It was at that moment that a remarkably huge ceiling panel-- one about 5 square meters big-- fell straight towards her.

Yuuri!

Watase darted for Yuuri and shielded her with his body. A moment later, an impact ran through Watase's back.

Ghh!

He had intercepted the fallen ceiling panel with his back. The panel itself was only about 20 kg-- not all that heavy. With Yuuri lying under him, Watase got up on all fours and tried to push the panel up and off him with his back.

(I need to get this off of me quickly!)

But even more debris came falling down at that moment. His back was assaulted with impacts that passed through the panel.

Gaaaaaah!!

The panel's weight suddenly increased tenfold at the same time with great force. Watase tried to break away from it, but his body wouldn't respond.

(Sh-poo poo!!)

He had no way of estimating how much the debris piled up on his back weighed. 150 kg? 200 kg? Whatever it was, it was so heavy that it felt like his arms and legs were going to break right then and there.

Watase's face was reflected in those eyes shrouded with fear and despair.

(I have to hang in there-- or Yuuri will be crushed with me!)

Watase filled his arms and legs with strength, supporting the weight of the debris. All he could think about was protecting Yuuri. The sound of the ceiling caving in soon stopped--

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Leaving Watase and Yuuri trapped under a mountain of debris.

...C-Captain Kasasagi...!

Yuuri looked up at him with wide eyes. Just then, something leaked down onto her dusty cheeks.

~~It was Watase's blood.

(Did I hit the back of my head too much...?)

Watase ignored the pain and spoke.

Don't worry, Yuuri... I'll save you. You can bet on that.
O-okay... but more importantly... Captain Kasasagi, you're...!
Oh, this? It's just a scratch.

Watase said that and gave her an awkward smile.

But you're bleeding...!

Yuuri looked like she was about to burst into tears. They then heard the voices of the others who'd managed to escape the rain of debris in time.

Captain!? Ms. Yuuri!?
Where are you!? Answer us!
Oh no-- don't tell me they're under that rubble!?
A-are you still alive!?

Yuuri then started screaming as loud as she could so the others would hear.

We're right here! Please hurry and get the rubble off! If you don't, Captain Kasasagi will...!
B-but-- how!?

The gears in Watase's mind started turning. --It would probably be very difficult to get rid of this debris with human hands. And the fact that his stamina would eventually run out meant that they had to act fast.

(C'mon... think! I should be able to come up with something!)

Well then.

VOTING

So, I don't think I need to tell you that this is a life-or-death situation. The decision, and whether Yuuri's blood is on your hands or not, is in your aforementioned hands. And really, 50% of this decision is a freebie. It all comes down to the one ever crucial, ever enigmatic, Sense of self.

Pick between Top, High, Middle, Low, Bottom for Watase and Yuuri.

Don't gently caress this up.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Top Yuuri, High Watase

Because it's either that or Top Yuuri, Low Watase, and the coin I flipped came up heads.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Top Watase, High Yuuri

BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

CirclMastr posted:

Top Yuuri, High Watase

I am happy to contribute to getting everyone horribly killed!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

SSNeoman posted:

Top Watase, High Yuuri

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Top Yuuri, High Watase

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

Top Watase, High Yuuri

Going with this and hoping Watase doesn't take it as "Dunk tiny anime into the rubble and save myself" :saddowns:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

SSNeoman posted:

Top Watase, High Yuuri

This.

E: Actually, Top Yuuri as well. I'm feeling optimistic.

High Watase aught to be a good thing here, since he's holding up the rubble with his back.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh jeez... I dunno. I have to figure this is one of those cases where both parties need to get out alive so...

Top Watase and Yuuri. Gotta have faith.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

SSNeoman posted:

Top Watase, High Top Yuuri

This is one of my favorite LPs currently running, TheMcD. Thanks for the fast turnaround on updates, I hate cliffhangers.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Top Yuuri and high Watase and fingers crossed that doesn't mean Watase prioritizes himself over Yuuri

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SSNeoman posted:

Top Watase, High Yuuri

:yeah:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Calling the vote here. Time to record the next batch.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dramatic Rescue: 09/16/2030, 12:02 - Part 2

Well, let's see what you thought:

code:
Watase:

Top:    IIIIIII
High:   IIII
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((7*8)+(4*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/11 = 7.27 = 7

Yuuri:

Top:    IIIIIII
High:   IIII
Middle: 
Low:    
Bottom: 

Result: ((7*8)+(4*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(0*0))/11 = 7.27 = 7

A complete tie! I sure hope nobody was thinking that having one be higher than the other was going to be the crucial part here.

Watase then allowed himself to be guided by his instincts and began shouting to those outside the debris.

Moribe! Get the air jack from the makeshift base, stat!
It's kinda far from here--
No it isn't! It shouldn't take that long if you go through Area 1 to get there! Tachibana, Teach, old man, get as much debris off of me as you can!
U-understood!
There's no time! I'm counting on you guys!
Roger! I'll be back in two minutes tops, so hang in there, Captain!
Mr. Ukita, Ms. Tsubakiyama, let's help too!
R-right!
What should we do!?
Start moving this debris off!

Jun left the factory as Kazami, Ena, and Ukita started removing the debris. But a minute later-- Watase's arms started shaking rapidly.

Khh...!

The weight drilling into his back relentlessly tortured his body. His spread elbows creaked, feeling like they'd snap like twigs at any second.

(Moribe... please hurry up...!)

Yuuri's faced scrunched up with bitterness as if she could tell what Watase was feeling.

I'm so sorry... it's all my fault that you got trapped here too...
Y-you dummy... don't... apologize for nothing...
O-okay... ... But why... Why are you going this far to save my life?

Even he didn't know why. He could say it was because of the voice in his head, but that didn't feel true. So he just answered with the role he'd been given.

I-isn't it obvious...? It's because... I'm... a rescue squad... captain.
No way... Then why is it that back then--

But before Yuuri could finish her sentence-- Jun's shouts cut in.

Sorry to keep you all waiting! What's the situation!?
Pretty... bad... to be honest... h-hurry up!
Understood! Moribe, get the air jack ready ASAP!
It's on standby now! Your orders!?
First, out along this line from here to there with the engine cutter! Put the air jack in the newly created hole after that! Then lift the debris up and get those two out of there!
Roger! Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita, get back now!
Now commencing cutting procedure!

The two rescue workers then began removing the debris--

(Ghh... g-goddammit...!)

But the strength in Watase's arms was fading quickly. It wouldn't surprise him if the weight of the debris won out any second now. Watase looked into Yuuri's eyes and spoke.

H-hey, Yuuri... could I... ask you... to do... me a favor?
A favor...?
Please... tell me... to 'hang in there'.

Huh...?
Ple... ase...!
Captain Kasasagi...!

...Please... hang in there.

Upon hearing those words, Watase felt his body become filled with renewed strength.

ALL RIIIIIGHT!

He mustered every ounce of strength he had and pushed up the debris.

At that exact moment, part of the debris was removed, and a light shone in on Yuuri's face. It was then that Jun inserted the air jack into that opening--

Air jack now set in place!
Everyone, please give us a hand so that the debris doesn't collapse while the air jack is inflating!
Leave it to me!
All right, then I'll keep this part held up!
Okay, inflating air jack... now!

The debris was then lifted up into the air.

Captain! Ms. Yuuri! Hurry!

Watase and Yuuri obeyed Kazami's orders-- And slipped out of the debris.

In case you were wondering, it doesn't matter whether Yuuri's Sense is higher than Watase's or vice versa. The important part here was that both were at 6 or higher.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Breakthrough: 09/16/2030, 12:06

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Watase flopped onto the floor as soon as he escaped the pile of debris. All of his bones were creaking, and his muscles were shaking like crazy.

...Good work, Captain!

Seriously~ way to go Captain! I'm starting to wonder if you're even human! I didn't think it was possible to have enough strength to hold up a pile of rubble like that!
He truly is a man of steel... I could almost fall for you.
Indeed, even I must admit you've earned my admiration. It was thanks to you that Yuuri survived.

Watase shook his head at that comment.

No, I couldn't have done anything on my own... It was thanks to everyone's teamwork that we were able to save Yuuri.

Everyone smiled embarrassingly when Watase said that.

By the way, the back of your head is bleeding... Are you okay?
Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I -am- bleeding, huh?
Come on, turn around. I'II apply some Chiron to it.

Ena took out the medical ointment they'd found earlier, but then Yuuri timidly spoke up.

Um... would you please let me do it? It's my fault he got hurt, so...
Mmm... okay. We'll let Ms. Yuuri handle this. That sound good, Captain Kasasagi?
Yeah. I'll be counting on you, Yuuri.
Yes...

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

She applied the ointment to her fingertips, then rubbed them against the wound on the back of Watase's head. He could feel the gentle movements of her fingers.

(... Hanging in there really did pay off...)

Yuuri finished applying the ointment to Watase, then addressed everyone in the room.

Umm, Captain Kasasagi... everyone... Thank you so much for saving my life...
No thanks needed. What matters most of all is that you're safe.
She's right. If something happened to one of the survivors after all we'd been through, we'd lose the right to call ourselves a rescue squad.
Got that right. But man, I never thought the ceiling would just cave in like that.

It was at that moment that he spotted something... no, more like his attention was drawn by it.

--Ah!
Is something wrong, Captain?
Don't tell me more crap's gonna fall again!?
No, that's not it! I just thought of a way to open the gate!
Wait, seriously?
Yeah! We should be able to use -that- and we'll be clear!

Watase was pointing at a crane hanging down from the ceiling.

If we can put a notch in the gate with the engine cutter, then hook it onto the crane and have it force the gate open...!
! It sounds like it's worth a shot!
But is that crane actually working?
Hold on a minute, I'll look into it.

Ukita ran alongside the wall, then started operating a controller sitting there.

Yes, it moved! We can use it!
Then let's get to work, stat!
Yeah! We've already got the engine cutter here and everything, so this is perfect timing!

The group all nodded at each other, then headed over to the gate that was barring their way.

Alrighty, then I'll try making an incision into the gate! Back up, guys!

Jun started up the engine cutter, then ran its spinning blade into the gate. A flurry of sparks bathed her body.

You little son of a bitch!

Doryaa!

Esshaoraa!

...Whew. Captain, how's this look?

Watase studied the gate to see that there was now indeed a small notch etched into the spot where Jun had cut.

Good job. Now all that's left is to hook the crane onto this thing. Old man, you're up.
Roger.

Ukita nodded and started operating the crane again.

All clear, all clear, all clear! Okay, stop!

Kazami hooked the crane's hook onto the recently carved notch.

Everyone fall back just to be safe.

Watase waited until everyone had complied, then gave Ukita a hand signal. Ukita nodded again, then pressed a switch on the controller. The crane's chain rewound up to the ceiling, causing the hook to pull tight against the gate as it did. Watase prayed as he observed the scene play out before him.

(Please work....!)

Just then, the gate started creaking in the blink of an eye. The notch then widened even further-- --and opened up to create an opening large enough for people to walk through it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The end of: 09/16/2030, 12:11

We... we did it! We did it we did it we did it!

The opening was big enough for even someone of Watase's stature to fit through. They could vaguely see what appeared to be the lifts control panel through the darkness.

Thank goodness...!
See? Now we can rest easy.
It would appear that all went well, correct?
Yes. I apologize for forcing a civilian like you to assist us with this task.
No, it was no problem at all. I'll do anything if it means getting out of here.

Everyone's faces had brightened now that they could get through the gate that'd been causing them so much grief.

A blue branch. Jun sits at the top at 8, Kazami and Yuuri right behind her at 7, and Ena way off in the back at 3.

(Thank God... now we've finally secured an escape route.)

It was true that they hadn't found all the survivors yet, but now they could at the very least get Yuuri, Ena, and Ukita out of there. Plus, this would mean they'd no longer have any problems with AD, and could also get backup from the rescue workers on the surface. Watase breathed a sigh of relief, looked at his comrades' faces--

Moribe, we did it!
Yeah! And it was all thanks to this engine cutter here!
You're scaring me with that look in your eyes. You sure do like that thing, huh?
Eheh, I get that a lot.

Jun gave an embarrassed smile, which Watase returned in kind.

They were all covered in soot and dust, but they were still smiling.

There'd been many a time where they'd almost given up, but they'd lost heart not even once.

(No matter how seemingly hopeless the situation... humans have the will to never give up and to keep moving forward, huh.)

It was the will to live that had welled up from the deepest part of all their hearts. It felt like the sole light of hope that'd shined through their despair.

(... Hope isn't something as simple as an escape route or AD. Hope is the fact... that all of us are comrades who fought to support each other through thick and thin.)

Watase's heart warmed at that thought. He held back his surge of emotions and spoke up.

Okay then, let's get out of here!
Then I'll go in first to make sure it's safe!
We're counting on you!
Yep, just leave it to me--

Jun went through the opening in high spirits as the others saw her off. --However, not even a second later--

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

Jun's scream pierced through the darkness on the other side.

!?
Moribe, what's the matter!?

The rest of the group gulped and went through the opening.

There was a cargo lift for supplies big enough for people to fit on lying on the other side of the room, just as the manual had said. Jun was standing in front of it, frozen like a statue.

Moribe, what's wrong!?
Not... not another one...!

Jun pointed to the side of the lift as she said that in a trembling voice.

Wha...!?

Watase was rendered speechless at that sight.

--Lying there was the body of a girl.

Wh-who is this girl...? Um... is she... 'Mashiro Toba'...?

But Ena, her face as white as a sheet, answered quickly in a low voice.

No, she isn't...!
What!? Th-then... who is she...!?

Everyone just stared at the body of this girl who no one knew-- and who'd never even come up once up until this point. A hole had been pierced through her stomach.

(... A gunshot wound...!)

The blood that'd poured out of it had already dried up into a dark color. She had undoubtedly been murdered. But -when- that happened was something that no one knew. And the bigger question was--

(Why did someone kill this girl....!?)

The girl's face was completely expressionless. There wasn't a hint of fear or pain to be seen. She just stared at the floor with hollow eyes. Everyone was utterly dumbstruck. The room was now as silent as a tomb. It wasn't long before Ukita let out another surprised gasp.

... Ah!

He slowly staggered over to the panel. The Iift's control panel that was lying next to the girl--

(!!)

--had been completely destroyed. As if someone had intentionally broken it!

Ukita silently tried to work it. But nothing happened even after he pressed the switch. The lift didn't make a sound. Ukita then hit the panel in what seemed like resignation, then shook his head. A still air filled the small room yet again.

...Why...

It was Yuuri who broke up the silence.

Why did all this have to happen...!?

Her voice, brimming with bewilderment and despair, echoed through the confined room. No one could answer her. Everyone just stood absolutely still, overcome with shock...

I just want to say that Chapter 4 is where this story really picks up. Now poo poo gets real. You know, because poo poo wasn't real enough in all that stuff we've seen before.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well

I wasn't expecting this to be ending yet anyway so the escape route being a dead end was hardly surprising but what the hell is this

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I was really hoping the escape route wouldn't be a dead end because I'm getting sick of the "find just enough AD at the last minute" branches.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CirclMastr posted:

I was really hoping the escape route wouldn't be a dead end because I'm getting sick of the "find just enough AD at the last minute" branches.

Well, we have six AD right now, so we're good until Chapter 5.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TheMcD posted:

Upon hearing those words, Watase felt his body become filled with renewed strength.

ALL RIIIIIGHT!

He mustered every ounce of strength he had and pushed up the debris.

As dopey as he is, Watase is a pretty drat good protagonist :unsmith:

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Yay, friendship and solidarity. I have a feeling that's all about to come apart :unsmigghh:

Also, the hints about Watase's actions pre-amnesia are getting even more obvious.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The end of hope: 09/16/2030, 12:15

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

They'd had faith that there must be an escape route somewhere. That survivors must still live, awaiting rescue somewhere. And the cargo lift they'd found at the end of their search should have been their only escape route. But-- it had already been destroyed. There had never been any hope to begin with. Instead... all they'd found there was the unidentified body of a girl.

The group was frozen in total shock. Everyone had been struck speechless by this unforeseen turn of events. Soon enough, Kazami--

I... I'll run a vitals check on her...

--ran over to the girl with that declaration. She took off her Vital Checker and put it around the girl's wrist.

Status all red...

She opened the girl's eyelids up wider and checked her pupils.

Her pupils have dilated...

Kazami laid the girl down and spoke.

Moribe, help me out. I'm going to perform CPR.
R-right.

Jun hurriedly sat down next to the girl. Kazami performed cardiac massage. 15 compressions. Jun performed artificial respiration. 2 rescue breaths. The girl didn't respond. Watase just stood there in blank amazement, unable to even do a thing. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. The girl didn't respond.

...It's hopeless.

Ukita kneeled beside the girl and muttered that. Kazami and Jun ignored him and continued their CPR. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths.

She's already dead...

15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths.

You guys couldn't save her...

15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths.

...And neither could I...

15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. 15 compressions. 2 rescue breaths. Kazami didn't stop the CPR.

Tachibana, it's too late...!

Watase's words didn't seem to register with Kazami. Eventually, her watch alarm went off.

!! Tachibana, it's time to administer the AD!
Hey, are you listening!?
...Khh...!

Watase took out one of the AD ampules and administered it to himself. He then injected Ena and Yuuri with two other ampules. Yuuri was so out of it that she didn't even offer up one of her usual protests.

Come on Tachibana, you guys have to take some too!

Kazami didn't reply. But her lips faintly moved.

...ie... Nagisa, don't die...!

Jun's eyes widened at that moment.

S-Sis...! This girl isn't Nagisa...!
(Nagisa...!?)

Confusion swept over Watase. Kazami didn't listen and continued her CPR attempts.

Lieutenant! Stop it already!
!

Kazami finally stopped moving at the sound of Jun's cry.

...Tachibana...

He couldn't say any more. Kazami quietly turned around towards Watase and spoke.

I did everything within my power... ...But she's... dead.

Kazami muttered that. Her face seemed absolutely devoid of life. The rest of the group chose that moment to speak up in terrified voices.

U-um, Lieutenant Tachibana...?
Er... are you okay?
I apologize for causing you all concern. I'm all right now.

Her tone of voice and the look on her face were the same as always-- and full of a harshness that wouldn't accept any further questions.

(What the hell just happened...?)

Kazami had clearly been acting strange. But her attitude made it clear that she would reject any questions regarding the reason for her actions. However, there was one thing they all knew for sure.

(There's been... yet another victim...!)

The group left the room, their hearts full of melancholy. They left the girl's body where it was--

I don't recognize the voice that's saying this.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Dark Clouds: 09/16/2030, 12:18

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

...!

The reading on its display showed ''4000 mSv''-- It appeared that the contamination had spread to the factory too, shooting the radiation levels up to the first danger standard.

(The whole facility could suffer the same fate if this keeps up...!)

That was a problem just as grave as the body they'd just found. This meant that they weren't guaranteed to survive in this hellish place even with AD.

Tachibana, Moribe, old man, give yourselves some AD too. I know there's a lot on your minds right now, but you have to!
...Yes.
Let's do it... we don't want to die, after all.

Their lives had been extended for another hour yet again. But this time--

(... Our escape route's been cut off. At this rate, we'll need to inject ourselves with AD five more times...!)

But they'd already used up all the AD they had. They'd searched what'd felt like the entire facility so far-- so unless they'd missed some AD somewhere, they'd all be exposed to radiation in just an hour.

(But in that case... Does that mean we have to look through all the areas again? Search every nook and cranny in more depth than last time...!?)

He shook his head as soon as he thought that. With their one light of hope having been so cruelly snuffed out, all his fatigue was catching up to him at once. His body wasn't in perfect shape either, what with his cracked ribs and the cut on the back of his head-- His eyes that had been stung by smoke so many times suddenly started hurting. Everyone's faces were equally filled with bewilderment.

No one said a word. They were just all so confused about the incredibly unexpected sight they'd seen in the room.

(But we still have to keep on searching...!)

A voice started pouring out of Watase's PDA as he thought that.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

!

It was Commander Murakami again! Watase took out his FDA in shock.

Loud and clear! This is Kasasagi, over!
Commander: ...sagi! We finally got in to...--

There was much more static on this radio transmission than the previous ones.

Commander: --...ception is extremely unstab--... is will probably be the las-- ...nsmission--... ...-—...mething I need to tel-—...
Commander! I can't hear you!
Commander: ...idn't find anyone wi-—.... gun. We can't confirm if there's a killer--— ...r not.

They could tell he was saying something like ''We couldn't find anyone with a gun. We can't confirm if there's a killer here or not''.

Got it! What else!?
Commander: According to-- ...rapped there aside from you gu...--...--... ...ones possibly trapped there--... including the dead...-- Dojima and Hiyama... rese--...

The commander desperately tried to give Watase's group the information they needed in the intervals between the loud bursts of static.

Commander: I repea ..... pped down there are, in-- ...yama, two researchers...

It seemed like he was repeating the same message over and over again. The group gathered around Watase's PDA and did their best not to miss a single word-- no, a single letter that he spoke.

Commander: --...-- Dojima and Hiyama, two research--...-- ...--...--searchers, three high school stude-- ...nd two--...--...-- ...-—...--gh school stude nts...—- two girls-—...—-...--...-- ...--...--scue-- --vivors--... work--... ...--you all—- ...vive as we--...-- ...--...--survive--...--...--...-- --...--...--...--...

The transmission ended there. All that could be heard was white noise.

Was that a list of the survivors...!?

Watase put the PDA away. Kazami, who'd finally regained her wits, spoke up.

Y-yes. He was probably trying to tell us who else was possibly trapped in here.
...What do you think he said?
From what I can piece together, he said-- 'the ones trapped down there, including the dead, are...'
'Dojima and Hiyama', 'two researchers', I think?
He then said 'three high school students'...!
Wait, that wasn't all. He also said one more thing after that.
Oh yeah, I think it was 'two girls'?
By girls, do you think he meant...

Everyone's eyes focused on Yuuri all at once.

I-I think... I'm probably one of them...
Figured as much. Then the other one must've been that girl...

Watase then got to thinking. Out of all the people the commander had said were still trapped there-- ''Dojima and Hiyama'', ''the two researchers'', and ''one of the girls'' were already dead. Apart from that, there was ''one other girl (Yuuri)'' and ''three high school students''.

So those three kids really haven't escaped after all...!?

Ena was taken aback at Watase's words.

Then those kids must be lying unconscious somewhere...! Th-this is bad! We must have overlooked them!
Please calm down, Ms. Tsubakiyama! There's still a possibility that they're moving around!
Huh!?
We have been moving together as much as possible, and have consistently been searching in only one direction for the most part. That means there's enough room to assume that we have merely missed each other.

The group had indeed searched all the areas, including the contaminated zones. So if Kazami's theory was correct, then it made total sense why they hadn't found them yet...!

B-but still! That's all the more reason we need to look for them right away!
Hold on, Teach! We still need to think some things through before we go do that!
Like what!?
Like the situation we're in right now.
...!

Watase was talking about the cargo lift room-- the room with the body.

When you consider the fact that there was a mysterious girl's body right by what was supposed to be our ticket out of here... you have to ask... ...Just what in the hell... have we gotten ourselves mixed up in?

There was no one who could answer that question.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flashback: 09/16/2030, 12:21

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

...Let's go over what we -do- know. If you had to ask me, I would guess that the girl died trying to escape from here. Here's my basis for that.

Kazami then took a security card out of her pocket. The name ''Shuuya Eriguchi'' was on it-- As were the words ''Lv. N''!

Level N!? Where the hell did you find this!?

It was ranked higher than the ''Lv. 6'' cards that the group had.

It was lying right next to that girl's body. She probably used this to get all the way over to the cargo lift.
But what was a girl like that doing with such a high leveled card...? Who in the heck was she?
H-hmm... perhaps she was a family member of one of the staff here, just like Yuuri...?
Whatever the case, she desperately made it all the way over here, but lost all hope when she saw there was no exit, then passed away...
But if that's how it went down, then who the hell-- --broke the lift?

Everyone's faces froze over at that question.

'Broke'...?
That panel wasn't broken by accident, no matter how you try to spin it. Someone clearly broke that thing intentionally.
Think that girl coulda done it?
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's still rather implausible.
But either way... what would they have had to gain from doing that? The fact that it's destroyed means that whoever the culprit was is still down here. But I do not believe there is anyone who would voluntarily wish to be trapped in a place such as this.
That's...

Watase didn't have a clue either. Who in their right mind would be willing to brave the risk of being trapped in this place to the point of cutting off their own escape route? But his thoughts were interrupted by Ena's subdued voice.

...Maybe it was the killer?
The killer!? Teach, what are you...
I'm talking about the one who killed that girl. Whoever it was is most likely the same person who killed those people in Area 3, right?

Watase's mind flashed back for a second to the grotesque sight he'd witnessed in that room.

(... Yeah, it -is- possible that the killer of those people is one and the same...!)
We've all been trying to ignore those three bodies up until this point, haven't we? We shelved away any discussion of it by going with the theory that the killer had 'escaped'. We all figured that we would worry about searching for the killer -after- we get out of here, yes?
...Yes.

Kazami had sternly told everyone that back when they found the bodies.

But that assumption has been completely invalidated... It would appear that they could not have escaped so easily. So I'll say it again: this was no mere accident!

Ena's sharp voice echoed in the silent factory.

What's that supposed to mean?
To see someone who's been shot to death lying next to our escape route means that it's natural to assume that she was shot while trying to escape, right? A murder happened right in the basement of a facility that's currently impossible to escape from... then isn't it possible that the killer's the one who created this closed space?
Impossible, why would they do that...?
Maybe they wanted to kill someone here and therefore stayed behind so they could do it? For example, if they did it during the lockdown, then all the evidence would go up in flames with the bodies.
Cut it out, Teach! That's just speculation! All you're going to do is get people worked up over nothing!

Watase finally grew sick of Ena's conspiracy theories and objected. But then Jun cut in.

...Hold on a sec, you guys.
What?
Well... I didn't think it had anything to do with all of this up until now...

♪ BGM: Pose the Question to this World

...But recently, it's believed that Rokumei City-- the city where LABO is located-- -—may have been invaded by terrorists.
T-terrorists!?

That sudden phrase left Watase in shock.

What's the basis for that?
...Well, there might not be anything concrete on the matter, but there's been rumors about that floating around. There's been similar incidents happening in this city recently... and there was this other huge research facility that was bombed only yesterday.
Terrorists targeting a nuclear reactor...!? Yes, that would make sense! All those seemingly random explosions and fires, the sprinkler system being suspiciously offline... when you think about it, these are all clearly human acts. And if all of that were to be capped off by a nuclear reactor blowing up, that would practically be a masterpiece in terms of an 'act of destruction'.

If that theory was indeed correct, then it was no surprise that there'd be bullet holes in all those corpses.

(If terrorists truly are behind this, that would also explain why so many unnatural situations have kept on piling up...!)

But Ukita scoffed.

...Have you people been watching one too many movies or something?
Huh!?
Terrorists? Seriously? How preposterous. Are you not aware of how strict our security is? Facilities like this that house nuclear reactors have been granted permission to possess security measures beyond the law. We have a 24/7 security team comprised of ex-JSDF soldiers equipped with rifles and riot guns. Only in fiction could a terrorist hope to even dream of overcoming such defense.
You talk a big game. But your so-called perfect disaster prevention system breaks apart if anyone so much as opens the lid on the whole drat thing.
...!
Isn't there any possibility that a terrorist could have taken advantage of a hole in that security and snuck in unnoticed? Are you sure there's no loopholes anywhere?
A loophole...!? How the hell would I know something like that!? You're getting obsessed with your little theory and not thinking logically about this!
Oh really? Then isn't it also a fact that the mysterious girl lying in that room managed to sneak in here somehow? Face it, the defense systems you've put so much faith in aren't looking all that reliable at all.
...Are -you- that intent on having me take responsibility for our facility...!?

Ukita and Ena felt like they were standing right next to a powder keg ready to explode.

U-umm, please stop...

Yuuri timidly pleaded to them. But then someone least expected also spoke up.

...Yes, perhaps we should consider the involvement of terrorists for the time being.
What!?
You believe her, Lieutenant!?
Yes, somewhat. However-- the idea that a terrorist is actually here is merely a hypothesis. As I said before, I believe that there's a high probability that the killer escaped before the lockdown commenced.
Huh? What're your grounds for that?
Because if the terrorist were trapped here just like us... ...then why have we not run into them in the nearly five hours that have passed since the start of the lockdown?
... But... that person on the radio just now said that there wasn't anyone who'd escaped to the surface with a gun, right? What about that?
That only holds water if they didn't simply discard their firearm somewhere. What's more, if they slipped into that huge panic that was going on before the lockdown began, they could have escaped whenever they wanted.

It was a well-thought out, logical reasoning that befitted someone like Kazami.

Yuuri voiced her own opinion, a rather rare occasion to say the least.

Hold on a sec, Lieutenant! Don't you think it's too soon to decide that?

Aren't you the one who's always telling me to always assume the worst when at work!? If there's a terrorist down here with us, then we're in a whole different league of danger, right!?
Those are completely different matters! We are not detectives!
But it's important that we consider the possibility.
Then what are you saying? Are you implying that one of the nine still trapped here is a terrorist? I never took you for the type who would doubt her own students.
Impossi... don't be ridiculous! No one's saying that at all!
Then do you mean to say there's a terrorist amongst the six of us? That's even more unlikely. If someone full of malice was amongst us, then we would be in far worse straits than we are now.

Everyone was voicing their own opinions, and Watase thought they all had their own good points. But having this debate drag on for so long was truly getting unpleasant.

...All right! Let's just all calm down for a minute, guys!
What's your problem!? You're the only one who hasn't spoken their thoughts on the matter, right!?
I know that! But let's all rein in our own personal opinions for the time bei--

But before Watase could say any more,

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

!

A shock ran through his head.

And right after that, countless scenes flashed through his brain.

(Wha!?)

Watase was confused by this random phenomenon.

The events of the last few hours flashed before him. Everything from when he'd woken up in Area 1 to arriving in Area 6. It all streamed past his eyes like a muddy stream for some reason—- --and then disappeared.

♪ BGM: Evil and Nightmares

H-hey, what's with the sudden silent treatment?

Ena and the others were staring at Watase with wide eyes. But he was so surprised that he was at a complete loss for words.

(... What the hell was that...!?)

It was clearly bizarre. It wasn't like he'd been reflecting on his memories. No, this was totally different. He'd remembered everything that'd happened up until this point in a second, and in such minute detail at that. And at that exact moment-- he made several connections about a few of the things he'd observed up until now.

(Wait a minute...!? Let's say there is a terrorist down here... Which one of the nine trapped in this facility would be the most likely suspect...?)

Blue branch with Ukita at 5.

They swiftly grew bigger.

(He said that LABO's security is so strict that no terrorist could ever sneak in... But the old man's a staff member here. It would have been easy for him to let a terrorist in... What're the odds that the ''loophole in security'' Teach was talking about could be old man Ukita...? No, wait, it's not restricted to the old man. Maybe it was one of the other researchers who's already evacuated.)

Those doubts begot even more doubts.

Blue branch with Ena at 3.

(Now that I think about it, her reason for being here is flimsy to begin with... We have no clue if she was really summoned here by a staffer.)

Even the assumption that Ena was a ''teacher'' was solely based off her word and her word alone. He didn't really have much of a reason to trust her.

Blue branch with Jun at 8 and Kazami at 7.

(There's nothing strange about anything they've said and done. They've always acted in the interest of everyone's safety... I'm sure I can trust them. In fact... isn't the reason that the lockdown is still going on the thing that's fishy here? Is it really because of the radiation leakage control system?)

His doubts just kept on summoning more doubt. But something was bizarre. Putting aside the images he'd just seen and his chain of rising doubt--

(It feels like someone is commanding me to ''recall everything you've seen so far, and think about the path that has led you up to this point''... But who... could that ''someone'' be?)

Watase looked over everyone's faces. He was still just as perplexed about that phenomenon as he had been from the start. He glanced at Kazami, Jun, Ukita, Ena, and then--

...!?

It was then that he noticed it: Yuuri was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Missing: 09/16/2030, 12:27

Watase's surprised declaration sent everyone turning around.

Y-you're right! But why!?
Don't tell me she ran off again!?
Ms. Yuuri!?

Kazami frantically looked around.

--and saw the Area 5 gate open, with Yuuri running through it.

Found her! She headed for Area 5!
No way!? How'd she get the gate open!?
Was she hiding a security card on her!?
Enough talk, let's go after her!
I-indeed!

The group all broke off into a dash at once.

Kazami spoke up to the rest of the group as soon as they all ran in there.

It's possible that we'll also get separated! Gather in the neuroscience laboratory in ten minutes whether you find her or not!

Watase checked the time on his watch. It said 12:31 PM.

Got it!

The group all gave similar answers and split up. Kazami and Jun kept going straight towards Area 4. They probably planned to seal off the other exits before Yuuri could flee to another area. Ena and Ukita checked all the nearby rooms. And so Watase-- headed for the inner ring.

(I don't think Moribe ever told Yuuri that the inner ring was a contaminated zone! If she ran there, then that means--!)

Watase's thoughts were interrupted by a voice echoing in his head.

!!

It was the first time in a while he'd heard that auditory hallucination. Watase headed to the contaminated zone as if guided by the voice. He ran through the connecting passageway and plunged straight into the inner ring.

The indicator read ''9355 mSv'', but he ignored it and started shouting.

Yuuri! Where are you!? Yuuri!

He checked every single room in his search, but Yuuri was nowhere to be seen. To be safe, Watase went to check the elevator hall--

Yuuri!

Upon hearing Watase's shout, Yuuri twitched with a start and turned around.

Ah...

♪ BGM: Extra-Sensory Perception

What do you mean, 'you really did come after me'?! Of course I did! Anyway, this place is dangerous! It's a contaminated zone!

A troubled smile rose to Yuuri's face at those words.

I see... and yet you came running through it just for me...
...Yuuri?

Yuuri paid no heed to Watase's confusion and looked him dead in the eye.

You're always worrying about me like this, aren't you...? But... then why... Why did you do something so horrible to me back then...!?
What!?

Watase gasped. He had no recollection of ever doing anything of the sort.

Wh-what do you mean by 'something so horrible'...!?
Do you really not remember...?

Her voice was filled with some unknown emotion:

A minute later and I would have died...

A mixture of confusion and terror.

I was really scared... when I found myself trapped all alone in that sea of flames...

Her words were shaking Watase up.

And yet you were also the one who saved me...

Watase felt something new gripping his heart--

What are you trying to do...?

--An intense fear.

Y-Yuuri... what are you talking about...?

He somehow knew that Yuuri was about to reveal something truly horrifying. Something he didn't know. No, something he -shouldn't- know. But Yuuri shook her head.

If you don't know, then I don't know either... I don't know what to believe anymore...!

Yuuri quietly walked over to him.

So Captain Kasasagi... please... Please let me know your mind...!

Yuuri said that and turned her palm towards Watase-- --only for a bizarre scene to play back through his head.

♪ BGM: Ominous Ambience ♫

It was a memory he had no recollection of. Something was grabbing his wrist.

???: ...Ha.

It then laughed ominously. The man spotted a broken wristwatch out of the corner of his eye. And a second later,

!!

he was assaulted by an intense pain akin to his brain being crushed--!

Something else was also welling up inside Watase-- it was unmistakably ''fear''. And Watase felt that very same emotion towards the girl standing right before him.

U-UWAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Watase immediately ran out of the elevator hall.

(Sh-poo poo...! What the hell am I doing!? Why do I need to run from Yuuri!? She's Yuuri-- she's not that ''monster''!)

Just as he thought that,

Ghh!

a sharp pain shot through his head.

Ghh, agh... GAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Watase held his head and screamed. The scream echoed in his skull, jumbling his thoughts into disorder.

(What the hell is this...!? I've never)

felt anything like this

(until now! Is this)

radiation damage!?

(Is it because I've been to contaminated zones several times!?)

He had a horrible headache- like something was piercing through his head and scrambling his brain. The pain spread to his whole body, and his stomach felt like it was being stretched out.

--Ghh, gaaagh!

Watase threw up. There was nothing in his stomach, so all that came up was stomach acid mixed with blood that splattered all over the hallway. His consciousness was fading away quickly.

memories-- my-- ...

Watase screamed again and forced his consciousness to stay where it was. His memories had been muddled by that intense headache. He looked down to find there was red vomit at his feet.

(What just happened to me!? What was I doing!?)

He shuffled through his memories and quickly remembered that he'd been searching for Yuuri.

(Dammit...! If I suffered this much damage from the radiation... then Yuuri's in danger!)

That frail girl could never survive in such a dangerous place. The only thing Watase felt was concern for her. It felt like he'd just been feeling some other sort of emotion for her-- but whatever it was had completely vanished. Watase spat out the disgusting taste filling his mouth. He then ran back over to the elevator hall.

But Yuuri was no longer there. There was nowhere to run from the elevator hall, so where had she gone?

--Did she climb the ladder up to B1!?

Watase opened the elevator doors with that thought. The elevator car was still up on the surface floors, just as it'd been earlier. Watase climbed up the ladder through the darkness.

So, there's a yellow branch here, asking us about Yuuri. Here, I choose to move on with what we've already had, with the logic of ''well, it's only been like a day or two since I last had voting''. I still haven't quite adjusted to this pace of mine on off days yet.

Watase ran around the block. --However, even after looking through all the rooms, there was still no hide nor hair of Yuuri to be found.

(Why... where did she go!?)

However, wondering why she was gone wouldn't do any good. He had to keep searching.

Yuuri! Where are you!? Yuuri!

He ran towards the outer ring as he shouted that.

Tachibana! Moribe!
Captain!?

The two of them rushed over to him as soon as they heard his calls.

Did you find Yuuri!?
I spotted her in the inner ring just a few minutes ago, but I lost sight of her...!
We've had no success either. We secured the perimeter around the Area 4 gate so she couldn't go through there, but...
She's not here...!?

The three of them all exchanged glances.

She vanished...? But why?
Are you positive that you didn't just miss her?
This whole thing's weird... and how the heck did Yuuri get into Area 5 to begin with?
Yeah, that's bugging me too.

--It went without saying, but you needed a Level 5 or higher card to open the security gate to Area 5. But all the cards they'd acquired so far were in the possession of Watase, Kazami, and Jun. No one else should have had a card--

Was Yuuri hiding a card on her...?
That's the only possibility I can think of... But why would Yuuri hide something like that?

Yuuri's motives had suddenly become incomprehensible to them. Yet another silence descended upon them. Eventually, Kazami broke that silence with a sigh.

...We won't get an answer by standing around here and speculating. Let's head for the neuroscience laboratory for now. It's almost time to rendezvous with the others.
Wait, already?

Watase checked his watch. It was 12:35 PM. It was indeed almost time for them to meet up.

(Have I really been searching for that long...?)

Watase followed Kazami and Jun as a vague sense of dissatisfaction coiled around him.

Tachibana, the inner ring is contaminated... I'm worried about Yuuri's health.
Huh...?
I told her that it was a contaminated zone... but she still ran off.
Impossible! Why?
...I've got no clue either. I mean, I know she ran off that one time a few hours back, but...

Kazami hung her head when Watase said that.

The AD will only last about another hour. She'll be in big trouble if we don't find her before then.
...Yes...
Though that said, if Yuuri was hiding a card from us, we can't fully deny the possibility she was hiding some AD on her as well.
...Tachibana?

Kazami was dead silent. Perhaps she hadn't heard Watase. It was then that her lips faintly moved, releasing a small whisper.

Please be safe...!

Kazami picked up the pace once she said that.

H-hey?

She didn't turn around even from that. Watase turned back towards Jun. Though only faintly, he could sense something was off.

H—hey, Moribe...?

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

Don't you think Tachibana's been acting a little weird... for a while now? I remember her acting like this back when she found the girl's body at the cargo lift. I think she said 'Nagisa' or something like that...

Jun's face froze over.

...Did she say Nagisa's name again?
No... but she feels just like she did back then. What's this 'Nagisa'? Why's someone who's always as cool-headed as Tachibana acting that way...?

Jun breathed a deep sigh at Watase's question--

I don't really like talking about this... but it's probably better that you know, so I'll tell you.

She then began quietly talking.

Nagisa was the name of the Lieutenant's little sister.
She has a sister...?
Yes. Her beloved sister who passed away almost ten years ago.

Watase gasped at that answer.

What happened to her...?
A gas explosion happened when the Lieutenant was away from home...
If Nagisa had lived, she'd be about as old as Yuuri or the girl who died by the lift. So there you have it: that's the one chink in the armor of the ever calm and flawless Lieutenant. Whenever she sees a girl around that age in danger or hurt, she just can't keep her cool.
So that's why she acted that way before...?
Yeah... I'm sure that she still blames herself for not being home that day. ...Even though it's not her fault...

Watase looked at Kazami in surprise. She was walking slightly ahead of them. It felt like she was being weighed down by the heavy weight of her past on that back of hers.

...? What're you two doing? Hurry up.

Kazami's face was already back to the way it normally was-- so Watase and Jun answered the way they always did.

Yeah, sorry.
Roger that. Let's hurry, Captain.

They then followed Kazami. All while wanting to share even the smallest bit of the bitter past that tormented their comrade.

• Locked thread