Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Boozie posted:

Is the squad tournament hero reset time the same for everyone? What time is it?

I don't remember what time the reset is, but I think it's some weird time.

I have a new theory on best time to join a tournament: right before a new time zone starts. A new time zone starts every hour on the half, which means that by, for example, 4:25, most of the people that got access to the tournament at 3:30 should have already entered, or are waiting until much later to enter. It could be entirely flawed thinking, but I'm going to try it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Last time the tournament came around mine reset at like 6 or 7 AM EST. No idea if these are universal.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jibo posted:

Last time the tournament came around mine reset at like 6 or 7 AM EST. No idea if these are universal.

I think the reset is always going to be at 6 or 7 AM local time. However, for whatever reason, I felt like the last tournament ended at the same time regardless of time zone...which is weird, cause some people got access to it like 20 hours before me. I could be wrong on that though. Mine ends at 5 PM Pacific time on Sunday. What about everyone else?

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Malgrin posted:

Mine ends at 5 PM Pacific time on Sunday. What about everyone else?

Looks like mine ends at 6:00 PM Pacific. And my roster refreshes at 2:00 PM.

e: Last tournament my roster refresh was at 7:00 AM.

Dr. Venture fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 19, 2016

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Malgrin posted:

I think the reset is always going to be at 6 or 7 AM local time. However, for whatever reason, I felt like the last tournament ended at the same time regardless of time zone...which is weird, cause some people got access to it like 20 hours before me. I could be wrong on that though. Mine ends at 5 PM Pacific time on Sunday. What about everyone else?

I think Asia and Europe have their own shards with different start and end times.

Edit: also reminder to definitely start the tournament today, starting late just puts you into an existing shard.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Malgrin posted:

Mine ends at 5am pacific on Sunday.

Pretty sure I somehow ended up on an Asia/Pacific shard (despite living in PST), so I get grouped there for events. A good deal of my arena targets have names in korean.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Huh, I don't know then.

Anyways, I'm trying a slightly different strategy this time around because I have 200k+ AP to burn (and also I have 3 pvp teams plus a spare). Anyways, I have
A team: Wiggs, Lando, STH, JKA
B team: EP, EE, RG, Vader, Poe (will add in ~level 80 g9 4* TFP tomorrow or Sunday)
C team: HK, 88, 86, JE, Nebit.
D team: Phasma, Rey, Daka, QGJ, Fives.

Ok, so, I have my best mods on Team A right now, and decent mods on Team D (I would go with second best, but didn't want to spend the time and credits figuring that out). Anyways, I started about 4 hours ago, but have let everyone else get attacks in. I've now been climbing my way up with D to save my good teams. Once I can no longer get perfect wins with D, I will move on to A. Once I have used up ~ 1/2 of today's AP (~50k - I am counting on about 300k total by tournament's end), I will move mods over to Team C and continue climbing. Once I hit roughly 3/4, I will move thise mods over to B, and finish with them. Since Team B will hold Arena rank better than Team C, I am leaving good mods on them overnight. Tomorrow after reset, I will do the same in reverse, ending on Wiggs, and allowing myself to do arena with them tomorrow.
I want Chirut, in other words.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Just to update on start times and all. I entered the tournament at about 8:15 pacific time. It looked like my shard had just started, I was rank 350 (with zero points), and the top guy only had 500 points.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm in Europe and entered at 3:30am (45 mins before Dave). Rank 4991, top players at 5k points. 1 battle raised my rank by 1k, so there must have been lots of players without points. Maybe you're stuck to your region and joining in the middle of the night is a terrible idea since you risk entering shard started at 10 or 11 pm. Since my character reset is at 5 pm, gonna try starting at noon on Saturday next time.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Vodos posted:

I'm in Europe and entered at 3:30am (45 mins before Dave). Rank 4991, top players at 5k points. 1 battle raised my rank by 1k, so there must have been lots of players without points. Maybe you're stuck to your region and joining in the middle of the night is a terrible idea since you risk entering shard started at 10 or 11 pm. Since my character reset is at 5 pm, gonna try starting at noon on Saturday next time.

Well, it doesn't matter when you join your shard in terms of total points they currently have. What matters is who is in your shard when you join. Everyone in the shard has a limited amount of AP (well, theoretically, but I have heard of some people with 500k+), and that AP is essentially how many points you can score. If other people get a head start, you'll catch up because they will stop spending AP. The biggest risk in starting late is not getting your attacks in before the first reset, because you're missing out on cheaper attacks.

P.S. 296 Speed JE (including passive) is pretty rad.

e: still having a harder time with this team than with Wiggs (no surprise there). Will probably just walk up to max cost, and stop there with this team. Seems worth it to earn credit for just a little less than with the other teams, but doesn't seem worth going beyond that.

e2: I also made progress with my EP team, but definitely can't beat Wiggs teams with it. Basically only my Wiggs team can beat other Wiggs teams. If I had Shoretrooper...or a 250+ speed TFP.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 19, 2016

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
I'm doing OK this time around, been switching between a normal wiggs team and TI's "meta buster" team from last time - EP, Sun Fac (or B2), Shoretrooper, EE, RG. It is super slow, but it works well on teams that don't have a cleanse, and seems to sometimes just randomly suck against beatable teams. You basically try to shock everyone and then you win, and you have EE to revive shoretrooper who usually dies (but then RG or Sun Fac tanks). EP needs a lot of potency and it doesn't seem to work super well against Rex teams, but it has let me grind up to rank 50 (was at rank 10 last night, but then the TI/Skunk guys showed up)

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Huh, so they finally figured out how clocks work, and we now get an exactly 48 hour tournament with 1 refresh. Anyways, I maxed all 4 of my teams to 1k per refresh, and will definitely burn through my 3 primary teams tonight. I have about 175k AP remaining, and if that isn't enough I get another 20k from GW at midnight.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Malgrin posted:

Huh, so they finally figured out how clocks work, and we now get an exactly 48 hour tournament with 1 refresh.

My tournament ends a couple hours after the 2nd scheduled roster refresh.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Mine also ends 4 hours after the second refresh.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Vodos posted:

Mine also ends 4 hours after the second refresh.

Oh hey, yeah, 4 hours. Nvm. That's really lovely timing, so I'm going to spend basically all of my AP tonight and run whatever I have time for tomorrow evening...

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
The thing that sucks is that the tournament ends at the same time as arena payout (for me), so if I'm in a close fight on one side or the other I'm hosed.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
squad tournament sucks rear end. Its too long, requires too many attacks, and if you're trying to place top 100 unless you are INSANELY lucky you will reach a point where most of your top 100/150 is heavy rear end in a top hat meta teams like Wiggs, Wiggs + Shoretrooper, Whale Teams of various configs, that are very unfun to have to play against unless you happen to have farmed the counter.

As A F2P player this poo poo sucks.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jerkface posted:

squad tournament sucks rear end. Its too long, requires too many attacks, and if you're trying to place top 100 unless you are INSANELY lucky you will reach a point where most of your top 100/150 is heavy rear end in a top hat meta teams like Wiggs, Wiggs + Shoretrooper, Whale Teams of various configs, that are very unfun to have to play against unless you happen to have farmed the counter.

As a small fish, I completely agree with this. I got lucky with some mods, so I can get Biggs to 195 plus Wedge's 45, but that isn't working against Shoretrooper teams (I missed him by 5 shards...or 3 ranks in the last tourney), and I don't know what to do except farm B2, but TFP is just too good to pass up.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Malgrin posted:

As a small fish, I completely agree with this. I got lucky with some mods, so I can get Biggs to 195 plus Wedge's 45, but that isn't working against Shoretrooper teams (I missed him by 5 shards...or 3 ranks in the last tourney), and I don't know what to do except farm B2, but TFP is just too good to pass up.

I am in the same boat where I am deciding on farming B2 next or going for TFP. I actually have a 4* shoretrooper because I lucked out on shard the 1st tournament but he has no gear because I am in perpetual gear/credit crunch :effort:

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jerkface posted:

I am in the same boat where I am deciding on farming B2 next or going for TFP. I actually have a 4* shoretrooper because I lucked out on shard the 1st tournament but he has no gear because I am in perpetual gear/credit crunch :effort:

I would drop everything to level/gear him. I mean, unfortunately, he can't do the raid (would be so good with Chirpatine on P3), but he's absolutely insane for arena (and tournament), even at 4*.

With Palp, I would do TFP, without him, I'd do B2. I mean, either way, we'll probably get another Palp event around Christmas (~6 months -- which was my original guess, and why not it's Christmas?), so TFP might be worth it anyways. Without Palp, he's really good, with Palp, he's a monster.

Also worth considering that you have Shoretrooper, who is also Empire. That said, B2 goes really well with Shoretrooper too, so I dunno. I'll probably farm him as soon as TFP is done, or I might even stop TFP at 6* because I don't really see him as a raid character.

https://swgoh.gg/characters/tie-fighter-pilot/

170 speed once you hit G10 with one MK2 Bacta and MK6 Detonator (so save this for him)

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Nov 20, 2016

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
Mal, is the top guy on your shard Lastbornjoker? I see you, or someone with your name and team. Also, the tournament ends at 6 PM Pacific for me.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dr. Venture posted:

Mal, is the top guy on your shard Lastbornjoker? I see you, or someone with your name and team. Also, the tournament ends at 6 PM Pacific for me.

Yeah, that's me.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
So your tournament ends an hour before me? Interesting.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dr. Venture posted:

So your tournament ends an hour before me? Interesting.

I see a refresh at 2PM pacific and the tournament ends at 6PM.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011

Malgrin posted:

I see a refresh at 2PM pacific and the tournament ends at 6PM.

Okay, so our timers are exactly the same then.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jerkface posted:

Fuckin' concur. This poo poo is terrible for F2P players, but so is every PVP aspect of this game including GW.

They took away the crystals refreshes to help it feel fair to F2P, but the effect is roughly the same, in that unless you're paying money for this game, you don't have the characters to keep up with the whales. Added to the fact that unless you pay money for this game... you won't ever have Baze, therefore Chirrut is kind of a luxury item.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
My f2p Empire team will easily place top 100.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I started the event with ~100k ally points, and now I'm down to 43k or so, at rank 450-ish. 20 Shards, I think. Played matches until the refresh cost hit 1000 each, now I'm doing 5k-cost matches, for 70 points each. Last one I did, I got up ~50 ranks.

Rank 50 is ~800 points ahead of me... Kind of wanting to give up, kind of not? Prizes end in 6 hours for me, and the roster refreshes in 2. Do I get a chance to go for it between the refresh and the lock?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

I started the event with ~100k ally points, and now I'm down to 43k or so, at rank 450-ish. 20 Shards, I think. Played matches until the refresh cost hit 1000 each, now I'm doing 5k-cost matches, for 70 points each. Last one I did, I got up ~50 ranks.

Rank 50 is ~800 points ahead of me... Kind of wanting to give up, kind of not? Prizes end in 6 hours for me, and the roster refreshes in 2. Do I get a chance to go for it between the refresh and the lock?

I started with drat near 200k and I'm in the 400ish region.

Mr. Neutron posted:

My f2p Empire team will easily place top 100.

Your tourney shard must be absolute dogshit. I applaud your good fortune.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 20, 2016

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Chilichimp posted:

Your tourney shard must be absolute dogshit. I applaud your good fortune.

Top 100 is mostly wiggs/rex/b2s/sunfacs/shoretroopers, I very much doubt it is vastly different from any other.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I hate these Squad Tournaments. I was rank 800 yesterday. Woke up to rank 1500. Pushed down to rank 900, back to 1100.. Finally heading down to 800 again. Spent over 150k friendship badges.

Top person on my shard is at 15k points, I'm at about 4.5k. Do they just not sleep? Have 999,999 Friendship points? I frankly do not know how they actually achieve these top scores without using some kind of bot.

Edit: Got down to rank 700, went to make a sandwich. Back at rank 900 now. gently caress this lovely, terrible tournament and the idiotic shits that designed it.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 20, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I don't think top 100 is attainable for me.

Hell, I don't think top 200 is attainable.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Serperoth posted:

Rank 100 is your target, how far ahead is that?

Mr. Neutron posted:

Top 100 is mostly wiggs/rex/b2s/sunfacs/shoretroopers, I very much doubt it is vastly different from any other.

There were a lot more droid teams last tournament. I miss them because they were easy points.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Finished above 1k, I think. Insult to injury - 150k spent and kept falling by 200 - 300 ranks whenever I stopped climbing. Bleh.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
gonna spend ~220k and end up in the 400 range.

This tournament is retarded.

Dr. Venture
Sep 26, 2011
I'm Rank 29 at 6,169 points with rank 25 less than 100 away. I have 100k AP left. I'm not sure, but I think with a little luck I can squeak by into top 25 after the roster refresh. More realistically I'll miss the cut and have to settle for top 100, which is still respectable so I can't complain.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dr. Venture posted:

I'm Rank 29 at 6,169 points with rank 25 less than 100 away. I have 100k AP left. I'm not sure, but I think with a little luck I can squeak by into top 25 after the roster refresh. More realistically I'll miss the cut and have to settle for top 100, which is still respectable so I can't complain.

I finished at roughly the same number of points but rank 350. Luck of the draw with brackets seems massively more important than your roster or the number of ally points you have to burn.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Dr. Venture posted:

This is roughly where I am, but with a lot less AP left. Really hoping to hold onto top 100. If you edge me out of rank 25 by 1, I won't come hunt you down, but if I miss 100 again cause of you, I'm going to be pissed.

Chilichimp posted:

gonna spend ~220k and end up in the 400 range.

This tournament is retarded.

Very.

Vulpes posted:

I finished at roughly the same number of points but rank 350. Luck of the draw with brackets seems massively more important than your roster or the number of ally points you have to burn.

Yeah, bracket really makes a huge difference. This time, I started about 50 minutes after my bracket opened, and that helped a lot...brackets start every hour so I think people either jump in right away or wait several hours. Next time I might wait until more like midnight Pacific when most of the world isn't playing, although that could put me in a Chinese/Korean bracket....who knows.

In other news, tested out TFP today, and he's absurd. I have him at G9, level 80, abilities leveled to 7. With EP lead, his opening salvo needs to hit 3 targets to get 90% TM back -- his passive gives him 10% TM per debuffed target, plus 20% per debuff from EP. I'm averaging 3-4, got 5 a few times, got 2 a few times. With three targets, if he then lands his Tenacity down (this isn't happening much right now, ~35% crit), he'll go to 20% + 40% = 60% TM, and a follow-up Tenacity down will bring him to 80. Add on the fact that he's crazy fast (158 at G9, will go to 170 at G10), and he can get a lot of hits in. I had him modded with my best speed mods, bringing him to about 250, so I could beat Wiggs with 200 speed. I didn't beat them every time, but I could actually compete. The buff immunity on STH is pretty great.

To complement EP and him, I was running Vader, RG, and EE. I was pretty disappointed in Vader, to be honest, and if I had Shoretrooper, I'd run him in a second. Fast STH would also be good, but this was for tourney and he's already in my Wiggs squad. I've tried fast Poe, but have been pretty disappointed by him. Since TM down can be resisted, STH's TM up is way better. Snowtrooper would also be an option, since TFP can get some early kills, building TM for the rest of the team. My EE also died pretty easy, I probably need to mod him for health or protection -- I was going for speed so he could get more hits in, as well as getting cleanse and revives back up faster -- EE and TFP die pretty easily.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently rank 338 and forward progress is no longer possible because I can't actually beat these heavy-meta bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Malgrin posted:

This is roughly where I am, but with a lot less AP left. Really hoping to hold onto top 100. If you edge me out of rank 25 by 1, I won't come hunt you down, but if I miss 100 again cause of you, I'm going to be pissed.

Well, at I'm #42, 6,516 points, and I have 1 AP left. I managed to get some wins in with my EP team, but it wasn't super consistent so I stopped at 750.

Chilichimp posted:

I'm currently rank 338 and forward progress is no longer possible because I can't actually beat these heavy-meta bands.

Yeah, I kinda ran into this problem -- I could beat almost any of the teams I faced with my Wiggs, but frequently with just a couple left standing, so then I'd get 20-30 points instead of 40-55. Shoretrooper would have made a huge difference this game, as would a 6*+ TFP. EP, EE, RG, TFP, Shore would be absolutely insane. Now that I'm almost level 85 (~2k xp to go), I'm just going to save up Crystals so I can buy Shore shipments -- if he's in shipments (I think he is?).