Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

In Training posted:

The totem Pokemon are like, actually mildly challenging and that's probably the most shocking element of the game.

2nd island one nearly killed me. Venom Shock sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

The totem Pokemon are like, actually mildly challenging and that's probably the most shocking element of the game.

I could see a kid getting wrecked by Mimikyu and the grass guy, they were way too close for me

I can't stop playing, the only thing i don't like about it is wild Pokemon call for help way too much

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shindragon posted:

2nd island one nearly killed me. Venom Shock sucks.

Yeah they call in allies and start doing combos is hard to keep up with. Especially since 100% of the "strategy" for dealing with every gym in Pokemon history up to this point was "have one typed Pokemon"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nasgate posted:

I also heard they got rid of HMs?

instead of using Rock Smash to smash rocks or a bike to go fast, you ride on your friend Tauros who smashes right through roadblocks

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Also I"m gonna say it. Team Skull is better than Team Rocket. Granted that probably isn't much seeing as I think TRocket is basically Jesse and James.

The fight theme owns, their stupid little dance owns. The fact they just wanna rile poo poo up owns.

owns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Team Skull is a bunch of white gangster rappers.

Pokemon Sun/Moon owns. I caught a Bug/Fairy type that's super cute :3:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also you strike goofy sentai poses to empower your mon's super moves, which is actually really charming

and yeah Team Skull is fuckin top tier

wizard on a water slide posted:

I could see a kid getting wrecked by Mimikyu and the grass guy, they were way too close for me

I can't stop playing, the only thing i don't like about it is wild Pokemon call for help way too much

This was frustrating me too for a bit but if you inflict a status ailment, they'll stop summoning new pokes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Also you strike goofy sentai poses to empower your mon's super moves, which is actually really charming

and yeah Team Skull is fuckin top tier

This was frustrating me too for a bit but if you inflict a status ailment, they'll stop summoning new pokes

This isn't true, I've had sleeping Pokemon summon help

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Team Skull are the poo poo. I feel like they fell out a TWEWY cut chapter

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

This isn't true, I've had sleeping Pokemon summon help

i can't believe goons would lie to me

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

Update: I hate this game.

What went wrong?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Looks like Nintendo got their fan games removed from TheGameAwards

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

BEST FAN CREATION
For fan-created content, such as mods, fan films, and other player content.

Project A2MR
Pokémon Uranium
Brutal Doom 64
Enderal: The Shards of Order

Kinky Cookie Bunny posted:

Does anybody here pay attention to the development of Yandere Simulator?

Cause to me it just seems like the dev is working motherfucking backwards and making it way more complicated than it needs to be, and it is pissing me off because it looked like it could have been an okay game, I mean, I probably wouldn't have played it but it would have been cool to watch someone else kind of play it and I gotta admit I do like a lot of the character designs, I think they're decent, and there's stuff I like in it, but at the same time, working motherfucking backwards and trying to do way too much. Should've gotten the core game done first.

Anyway that's my rant.
Sounds like the yandere simulator dev is being... yandere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yucx5prFum4

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That is some ol bullshit. They took it away because Project A2MR would had no contest. :v:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Chomp8645 posted:

Update: I hate this game.

lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Playing a Pokemon game blind is cool and good, my cute little owlguy just evolved into a dashing smug owlguy

also the woodpecker pokemon is really good and adorbs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Looks like Nintendo got their fan games removed from TheGameAwards

http://thegameawards.com/nominees/

BEST FAN CREATION
For fan-created content, such as mods, fan films, and other player content.

Project A2MR
Pokémon Uranium
Brutal Doom 64
Enderal: The Shards of Order
lol this makes no sense. It's specifically a category about fan works, even in Nintendo's fake world where "copyright erosion" isn't a hoax, it's completely irrelevant. how petty can you get

i love how iwata was like "we can't demonize fan projects" and ever since he died it's been DEMONIZE DEMONIZE DEMONIZE

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why do people spend the time making that stuff when they know it'll get taken down immediately

e: and why do people act surprised when it happens

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

because almost every company in the world other than Nintendo and Square are cool with fan projects

SEGA, iD and Valve outright promote them. Valve allows them to be commercialized

e: but this isn't even about that, it's about a meaningless awards show wanting to give a meaningless award to a fan project you can't even download anymore, and Nintendo going "NO!!! NO NO NO NO!!! NO!" because they're a sponsor or w/e

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 21, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Two Ultra Balls to catch a level 7 Misdreavus whose HP is in the red? :what:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Quest For Glory II posted:

because almost every company in the world other than Nintendo and Square are cool with fan projects

SEGA, iD and Valve outright promote them. Valve allows them to be commercialized

Would Valve allow you to just rerelease [paid game of theirs] but for free with a new coat of paint? Because AM2R is still just a remake of a game actually being sold on the eShop.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean I guess when the only thing you have left as a company is to sell tchotchkes containing ripped roms of games you made 20+ years ago anything that bites into that profit needs to be removed immediately

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Would Valve allow you to just rerelease [paid game of theirs] but for free with a new coat of paint? Because AM2R is still just a remake of a game actually being sold on the eShop.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ometeotl posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/362890/

e: gently caress beaten. these developers make money off of it too!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

lazorexplosion posted:

What went wrong?

- Archaic character design that encompasses the worst of 90's RPGs
- Very poor production values in every category except soundtrack
- Very un-intuitive design and mechanics in general
- The consequences of your choices are illogical or unpredictable enough to come off a series of gotchas.
- Not very good UI
- Frequent crashes (for me anyway). Got a CTD every 20-30 minutes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
video games are good, example #21525: I just nailed a long-winded homework question because of Dead Space. The question deals with what recombinant DNA is, which I already know because that's how necromorphs are made and Dead Space goes pretty in-depth about it. Thanks video games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey cjacobs I finally got around to playing max Payne 3 and it's very fun. Should I do keyboard and mouse or stick with a controller? Also the chromatic aberration is terrible. The gameplay more than makes up for it though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chargabug may be my favorite Pokemon design ever and I really hope its final evolution manages to keep its bizarre charm

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

Hey cjacobs I finally got around to playing max Payne 3 and it's very fun. Should I do keyboard and mouse or stick with a controller? Also the chromatic aberration is terrible. The gameplay more than makes up for it though.

I would say give kb/m a try, the added precision of the mouse is really helpful. Max Payne 3 rules. :respek:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: but this isn't even about that, it's about a meaningless awards show wanting to give a meaningless award to a fan project you can't even download anymore, and Nintendo going "NO!!! NO NO NO NO!!! NO!" because they're a sponsor or w/e

Both Pokemon Uranium and AM2R directly steal content from existing games without any sort of attempt to get permission.

AM2R is incredibly excellent and an awesome fan work but it's silly to constantly try to pretend like it isn't literally built off Nintendo's stuff, and you can't unironically say that Valve wouldn't kick a game off Steam for using content without permission when it's actually happened.

Likewise the Square example is done because every time I can remember a S-E C&D being actually issued (And not "we swear they sent us one") it was a work literally attempting to profit off it or, in the case of the Type-0 translation, a dude trying to beat an official localization to release after being warned about it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 21, 2016

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ometeotl posted:

loving :lol:

Edit: To be fair, I guess Valve makes a bit of money off of it too since it's on Steam, but they were cool with it when it was a mod and the creators are getting actual paid.

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 21, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think companies co-opting fan creations for additional profit is even worse than issuing a takedown.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

In Training posted:

I think companies co-opting fan creations for additional profit is even worse than issuing a takedown.

Mmmmm naaahh

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Conservative Japanese companies will crack down on unauthorized use of their IP and less conservative American ones are more likely to allow some things to pass. Would Disney be cool with an unauthorized use of Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, or Marvel IP if someone were to remake one of their older games? Probably not.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

i can see that but at a minimum hiring the people who are passionate and talented in fan communities to work on the series they love is cool cause it might result in more interesting games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

i can see that but at a minimum hiring the people who are passionate and talented in fan communities is cool cause it might result in more interesting games

If you do this you get DOTA2 apparently so I think the practice should be illegal forever

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mind blown. touche bro.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That was a troll, it is cool when companies absorb talented creators. Paradox has done it well, for instance. Although I also think that's how we got the last 3 years of CKII's horrible death so maybe it has its positives and negatives

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Conservative Japanese companies will crack down on unauthorized use of their IP and less conservative American ones are more likely to allow some things to pass. Would Disney be cool with an unauthorized use of Star Wars, Mickey Mouse, or Marvel IP if someone were to remake one of their older games? Probably not.

Who is this directed to? What an oddly factual post.

Edit: This is the Pop Up Video of forum posts.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I mean dude it probably is because they're a sponsor I mean Reggie is listed right there on the dumb "Advisory Board" and they probably have some dumb exclusive to show off however meaningless it is so like I said a few days ago it's...kindaaaa weird there's only fan games in the category in the first place considering the nominees in previous years have been...not fan games.

Also at the end of the day I think concerning fan games it's always gonna be the fact that they're (unfortunately?) still hardware developers and that "Our console/handheld is the only place to play with all these franchises" line is probably still important to them even if nobody else does it anymore with even Microsoft having dual releases on the PC now. And having fan games (that you can just get on your PC) getting more and more publicity than ever before really blurs the invisible line they were comfortable having in years past.

Edit: And even if it's true when you say that, "This fan game is even better than what they're making GBS threads out now a days." it's still probably not a very smart thing to say so loud, so often.

I do notice while people will say this regarding AM2R very few actually will regarding Uranium in comparison to X/Y and more recently Sun and Moon. Like it's a lot harder to make the case there.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what's gone on with crusader kings? i know nothing.

• Locked thread