Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

I start over for new Leagues. I actually don't like leveling (nothing with PoE, I'm the same with all games like this) but I still vastly prefer to level one character per League, no more or less, in PoE. There's a lot of reasons why I abandoned my previous strategy of only playing one character ever - for example, I only ever really played Witch Doctor in Diablo 3 despite playing on and off for several years - when it came to PoE. First, it's a game where it's really fun to try out new builds and skills and which also has a lot of variety, while simultaneously being very restrictive about changing your character. If you're like me you come out of your first character feeling like it was fun, but noticing some inefficiencies, some things it didn't excel at that other builds would, etc. Second is, I personally can't imagine playing on Standard, because League feels so much more fun to me. Not just the fresh content and larger playerbase, but also new and fresh economy is a really big deal for me and my enjoyment. I start a new character with a new League when I come back to the game, and play it for 3 - 6 weeks depending on how much I'm enjoying my build/the League content.

Thanks for this, sounds like we're pretty similar in how we approach these games. I played the same D3 character for years, not really wanting to switch up. I'll give your suggestion a try and not try to focus so much on gearing 1 character forever.

Couple questions, when a new league starts, literally everyone is starting fresh/over? Everyone is on equal footing? When a league is over, those characters move to standard?

VVVV Got it, thanks VVVV

Essential fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Essential posted:

Couple questions, when a new league starts, literally everyone is starting fresh/over? Everyone is on equal footing? When a league is over, those characters move to standard?

Literally everyone who plays in that league, yes.
Yes
Those in the Softcore league move to permanent Standard, those who survive in Hardcore league go to permanent Hardcore. Those who die in Hardcore league move to permanent Standard.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

nightwisher posted:

Flurry + Bladefall

Already saw someone do CoC blade fall with flurry and it was crazy. I'd imagine the interval rate would be lower than CoC for these cast on channel.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Literally everyone who plays in that league, yes.
Yes
Those in the Softcore league move to permanent Standard, those who survive in Hardcore league go to permanent Hardcore. Those who die in Hardcore league move to permanent Standard.

I've always thought, and will continue to think, that it is beyond retarded that dying in league HC drops the character down to perma standard, instead of league standard. It's like a double dose of dicking.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sushibandit posted:

I've always thought, and will continue to think, that it is beyond retarded that dying in league HC drops the character down to perma standard, instead of league standard. It's like a double dose of dicking.

Having league HC drop to league standard would make league standard look like a second rate league. There's also issues of economy balance. Basically it's a really bad idea.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1770220

BF is getting nerfed

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Initially I brought up my current toon just to see how well BF would level (in EHC because I don't have a stash there to help me out), so I could decide whether or not to use it in Breach...yeah, this skill is getting nerfed. Gonna see how far I go before I die to something stupid.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I am so glad I got in the ground floor with a varunastra :getin:.

The two builds I'm trying:

http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAWRBQU1FQ...lFBUUgwQVFBQQAA

http://poeplanner.com/AAMAAWRBQU1FQ...lFBUUgwQVFBQQAA

I actually think the second one is super solid; I'm going to be maining that next season no matter what as long as they don't knee-jerk nerf varunastra. If not BF then lacerate.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

TheRat posted:

As a followup, I just stumbled across a build guide for inquisitor (templar) ice nova, https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1668096 . LiftingNerdBro usually makes pretty decent beginner-guides.

Alright, so I've been using this build and it went pretty well on Normal. Malachai hurt and I died to him a few times but this was mostly due to me not knowing his mechanics. Then I started up Cruel and everything was mostly swell until I hit Piety's area. Then things started to hurt. A lot. And then I died, a lot, all the way through the rest of Act 3 (current counter is at 39). I feel like my Armor and my Health are both waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to low, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, specifically regarding which pieces of my armor I need to lose in order to get those stats where they need to be. I know I need to get a better belt first and foremost but I'm not sure what else I need to do. I've checked out a few videos in terms of what gear to pick up and what gear to ditch but I'm not sure what else I could/should be doing. Here is my character list, the character I'm on right now Is LunaLearning. Sorry if this question (much like my last one) is a little to into the deep end.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

"This profile tab has been set to private or you the lack the permissions to view it."

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

"This profile tab has been set to private or you the lack the permissions to view it."

Should be fixed

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Have you raided the guild stash yet? I'm sure you could find upgrades for drat near every slot in there.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to do mostly self found (funman gave me the spell echo wand, another wand in not currently using and a staff I'm gonna mess with when I get to 68) so I'm trying to stick to what I find on my own runs but I have started to peek into the gstash a little. Might grab a new belt or something out of there tomorrow

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You should probably have about +50% life from skills by now and more than +100 life on gear. You can craft life rares with the greed essences, and there's other essences for crafting resist gear.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters < Rodentttt (chieftain, facebreaker + bringer of rain warchief)

I don't think it's possible to beat this one for that purpose. I did like 10 full-key runs with that gear yesterday, as well as 10 atziri runs. The gear is pretty loving cheap and you can start out with a 1c weapon like marohi erqi or doomsower. When you get the gear level I have, which should be around 2ex total or so, you can allegedly do shaper. I've only done t15 myself, but that's because I dont have any higher tier maps to try.

How come you're wearing a chest armor with BoR? :confused:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In this case probably cuz it looks cool, but you can also level gems socketed in your chest piece.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

peak debt posted:

To look pretty!

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

peak debt posted:

Gems in the chest still gain exp.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Essences getting rolled into the core game, Delirium getting nerfed.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Essence of Insanity will be nerfed too, but not retroactively, so the prices on those and crafted gear should jump a bit.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ehhh, I didn't really care for Essence, not as an encounter and not as a crafting mechanic, but I'm probably in the minority here, so whatever. Just seems like things are going to get pretty cluttered and it feels like another system that makes the rich get richer.

Either way, it will be nice to stop drowning in loving Whispering Essences. Essences still take up too much drat space and you can't really have a slot in the currency tab for them with the way they work, but all in all it won't make too much of a difference to me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm okay with essences being baked in, even though I pretty much lose the tab forever. It makes getting started much easier, and makes a good sink for endgame crafting.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Yeah Essences ruled for getting some yellow gear fast on a new character. I am glad they are staying. Making the lower tiers no longer appear past cut offs should hopefully keep the stash clutter under control too.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I think it's because I played PoE a little bit a few months after release (I think) and I get how all of the original currency is used and I don't mind using that poo poo up. I've yolo exalted gear more times than I would care to admit. But I'm always too hesitant to use any of my essences. I feel like I'm going to gently caress it up but that's probably because I haven't read up on "The #1 Proper Use of Essences, Always" and I'd rather not mess with them for now.

e:

GGG posted:

Patch 2.4.3b: (Restartless)
Fixed a problem where the DirectX 11 client wouldn't detect your graphics hardware properly.
I'm not totally incompetent!

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 22, 2016

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

TheRat posted:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Rodent1/characters < Rodentttt (chieftain, facebreaker + bringer of rain warchief)

I don't think it's possible to beat this one for that purpose. I did like 10 full-key runs with that gear yesterday, as well as 10 atziri runs. The gear is pretty loving cheap and you can start out with a 1c weapon like marohi erqi or doomsower. When you get the gear level I have, which should be around 2ex total or so, you can allegedly do shaper. I've only done t15 myself, but that's because I dont have any higher tier maps to try.

Is your main attack skill there ancestral warchief? Or shield charge? I haven't played in a couple of leagues, so I have no idea what is viable.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Haerc posted:

Is your main attack skill there ancestral warchief? Or shield charge? I haven't played in a couple of leagues, so I have no idea what is viable.

Shield charge is just for movement + fortify. Ancestral Warchief is the main attack skill, and it does absurd amounts of damage. When placed in the Bringer of Rain helm, it's effectively a 7link:
Warchief->Melee damage on full life->Increased AOE/Concentrated effect->Added Fire->Faster attacks->Melee Physical Damage->Blind (Bolded ones being the actual gems)

J
Jun 10, 2001

Is that setup better than using an abyssus and a 5 or 6 link chest?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Talking of essences, when do the 4 rare ones start to appear? Up to t6 maps and still not seen one yet.

E: to clarify I mean dread, scorn etc not delirium and the other corrupted ones.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 22, 2016

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

TheRat posted:

Shield charge is just for movement + fortify. Ancestral Warchief is the main attack skill, and it does absurd amounts of damage. When placed in the Bringer of Rain helm, it's effectively a 7link:
Warchief->Melee damage on full life->Increased AOE/Concentrated effect->Added Fire->Faster attacks->Melee Physical Damage->Blind (Bolded ones being the actual gems)

I wonder, is the war's herald ascendancy still worth it with the boss taunt changes? Forest's strength seems decently strong.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Lungboy posted:

Talking of essences, when do the 4 rare ones start to appear? Up to t6 maps and still not seen one yet.

E: to clarify I mean dread, scorn etc not delirium and the other corrupted ones.

68, so any map.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

..btt posted:

68, so any map.

Oh right, so they really are just very rare then.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I 36'ed two weeks ago, have multiple alts at 80+ in Essence League and I still haven't seen a single loving Scorn drop

to compare I found two Exalts and managed to corrupt two Insanities

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

Warchief->Melee damage on full life

Does that check the totem's full life or your full life for the bonus?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I have 2 at 90+, 2 at 85+, found three exalts (only 3 I've ever found) and still need 2 of the corrupted essences for the challenge. In fairness I have seen all 4 rare but only managed to corrupt 2.

Have pretty much given up on 36 this time around, I'm at 32 I think and the rest require luck or a further serious time commitment. gently caress tormented embezzler / warbands.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have 35. I need to get either a Shaper kill or two remaining warbands, one in Beacon and one in Overgrown Ruins. I'm not going to bother, because I'm dirt poor from throwing every penny I had into Shaper attempts.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Vasudus posted:

I have 35. I need to get either a Shaper kill or two remaining warbands, one in Beacon and one in Overgrown Ruins. I'm not going to bother, because I'm dirt poor from throwing every penny I had into Shaper attempts.

Farm up 20c and buy the kill on the forum?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

peak debt posted:

It definitely works when I'm on full life, but I think it might work if either of us are? Not entirely sure.

Mince Pieface posted:

I wonder, is the war's herald ascendancy still worth it with the boss taunt changes? Forest's strength seems decently strong.

Taunting bosses is still amazingly strong, and that node overall is just superstrong. Helps a ton with ele reflect and general totem survivability.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

peak debt posted:

It should just count yours. Which isn't a problem since you can focus on dodging since yours totems attack for you and you have a great instant heal with your shouts.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I remember reading a discussion on Reddit about the totem thing. Someone brought up righteous fire which uses totem life, someone disputed, and then I forget which the video proved. Hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Vasudus posted:

Ive got a shaper set that i am not going to run, so if you want to use it to get your challenge and gimmie the drops, thats cool.

• Locked thread