Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

The Colorado Buffaloes are cool and I'm glad they are doing good this season :shobon:

edit: wrong thread, but I'm not gonna delete my message because it was good and true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

DrunkPanda posted:

The Colorado Buffaloes are cool and I'm glad they are doing good this season :shobon:

edit: wrong thread, but I'm not gonna delete my message because it was good and true

Speaking of which, I have to assume there is a salary negotiation coming soon to Boulder.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Charlie Strong is such a nice guy he went ahead and lost to Kansas just so we wouldn't have to agonize over the decision to fire him or deal with accusations of firing him unfairly.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Who's the anti-Charlie Strong?

Mike Leach?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

pillsburysoldier posted:

Mike Leach?

Art Briles, obviously.

Also some slightly more reliable rumor mongers are saying Charlie has been officially informed and the announcement may be made tomorrow. No reason to let him twist in the wind and field questions about his future all week. I hope/assume they will let him coach the TCU game.

He needs to get, like, the opposite of Kiffined. You'd think the end of the statistically worst era in Texas football history would be more of a "ding dong the witch is dead" type moment, but it has ended up being much more of an Old Yeller situation.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/800475297556692993

oh goddamnit

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Came in to post the news as well. Is Tom Herman sitting by his phone?

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

A black head coach fired before 5 years? What does history have to say about this?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Don't act like Strong being black has anything to do with him not getting more time. Anyone would get fired at Texas for having his record over 3 seasons and topping it off with a loss to 2016 Kansas.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

Then the joke doesn't work.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Thermos H Christ posted:

Don't act like Strong being black has anything to do with him not getting more time. Anyone would get fired at Texas for having his record over 3 seasons and topping it off with a loss to 2016 Kansas.

It's not a political statement. He just wanted to open the door to a Charlie Weis joke.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

I took that image to mean that Texas' next head coach is going to be a big fat white guy. Possibly Charlie Weiss.

Unless you guys send a few dump trucks of cheeseburgers to Herman's house along with the ones full of cash.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

It's not a political statement. He just wanted to open the door to a Charlie Weis joke.

Gonna need to open more than just a door to fit a Charlie Weis joke through.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Mike Leach?

I'd say Dennis Erickson or Barry Switzer, since I'd rather not bring up guys like Briles or JoePa.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Barry Switzer owns

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
ESPN reporting Strong's firing

RIP that one dude's Charlie Strong av that I really like

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
haha, they're totally will-they/won't-they'ing him:

https://twitter.com/StacyS_KVUE/status/800496974080438274

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They're being polite and giving him time to move before police start pulling him over for a broken taillight

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Craig K posted:

How many more years of 7-5 overall (2-5 in conference) is bielema going to get before he's shitcanned

He is doing ok, has a few wins over LSU even. Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M etc. are in completely different recruiting tiers than Arkansas, :razorback: aren't going to do much better unless they get Petrino back or hire Briles or something like that.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Great, we're already loving this up. Who benefits from dragging this out, exactly?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Great, we're already loving this up. Who benefits from dragging this out, exactly?

No idea - but forcing Strong to do tomorrow's press conference is just plain cruel. Get it over with if the decision is done.

My guess for dragging this out though is that it needs official action from the Board of Regents and they were not able to get a quorum or unanimous consent on a Sunday, so he can't actually be fired until tomorrow. However, I have no idea how the BoR actually operates, so that is wild speculation.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's going to take more than 24 hours to work out the details that will make Herman the god-king of Central Texas, that's all.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Relax, it's not as though anyone can outbid Texas.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I hope Texas does to Strong what LSU did to Les last year

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Strong to Baylor Baby Briles to texas Baby

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Sab0921 posted:

No idea - but forcing Strong to do tomorrow's press conference is just plain cruel. Get it over with if the decision is done.

My guess for dragging this out though is that it needs official action from the Board of Regents and they were not able to get a quorum or unanimous consent on a Sunday, so he can't actually be fired until tomorrow. However, I have no idea how the BoR actually operates, so that is wild speculation.

Someone pointed out that they may be in negotiations surrounding the buyout or other details. But it's beyond cruel to force him in front of the press to parrot the official line that it's all still up in the air.

Either you send him out there to make the announcement because that's the way he prefers to do it, you have someone go up there and make an announcement in his place, or you don't hold the drat press conference. And the longer you drag it out beyond that, the more you reinforce the narrative of Texas being dysfunctional and directionless.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Someone pointed out that they may be in negotiations surrounding the buyout or other details. But it's beyond cruel to force him in front of the press to parrot the official line that it's all still up in the air.

Either you send him out there to make the announcement because that's the way he prefers to do it, you have someone go up there and make an announcement in his place, or you don't hold the drat press conference. And the longer you drag it out beyond that, the more you reinforce the narrative of Texas being dysfunctional and directionless.

I will do it.

I'll go out there for him and humiliate myself, debase myself, for a mere fraction of the 5 million dollars a year they are paying him.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Re: Charlie Weis, just get Kliff Kingsbury to morph into Charlie like in that one Big XII promo a few years ago.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

LLCoolJD posted:

I will do it.

I'll go out there for him and humiliate myself, debase myself, for a mere fraction of the 5 million dollars a year they are paying him.

You are a JD, you already do it on a daily basis for far less.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Sab0921 posted:

You are a JD, you already do it on a daily basis for far less.

All the more reason for the side hustle.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
@McMurphyESPN
Charlie Strong tells @KirkHerbstreit he’s seen reports he was going to be fired but has not heard anything yet from the university

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

In apropos of nothing teamcatlab had the best videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yir8LYKXjdE

Charlie Weis was a fine man

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Ladies and gentleman, your next coach of the Texas Longhorns......Jerry Kill.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Arkansas usually does pretty good, considering they play in the SEC West, and usually manage to steal one or two wins from the big boys every year. I can't remember if they ever beat Alabama, though. Probably doesn't matter, not many teams do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

Arkansas usually does pretty good, considering they play in the SEC West, and usually manage to steal one or two wins from the big boys every year. I can't remember if they ever beat Alabama, though. Probably doesn't matter, not many teams do.

Looked it up out of curiosity, in the SEC West under Bielema they've beaten Ole Miss 3 times, LSU twice, Mississippi State and Auburn once.

There's also some wins over SEC East teams in there, but for the west specifically.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grittybeard posted:

Looked it up out of curiosity, in the SEC West under Bielema they've beaten Ole Miss 3 times, LSU twice, Mississippi State and Auburn once.

There's also some wins over SEC East teams in there, but for the west specifically.

That's not terrible, and they usually go to a bowl game. Arkansas is a small state without a lot of people, so they probably know not to expects eleven or twelve wins every year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

whiteyfats posted:

That's not terrible, and they usually go to a bowl game. Arkansas is a small state without a lot of people, so they probably know not to expects eleven or twelve wins every year.

They were legitimately good during the Petrino years and I imagine most fans would like to see a return to that and not, say, randomly losing to Toledo and alternating solid performances with inexplicably terrible ones.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

soggybagel posted:

Ladies and gentleman, your next coach of the Texas Longhorns......Jerry Kill.

Well, they DO need to shake things up.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

I had to go digging but it didn't take long to find my favorite quote about Charlie Weis

quote:

“There’s the Charlie Weis deal,” [WSU athletic director Bill Moos] says of Kansas’ hire. “He failed miserably at Notre Dame, but, ‘By God, he was at Notre Dame.’

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spintzel posted:

I hope Texas does to Strong what LSU did to Les last year

Strong doesn't have the goodwill of a natty or a winning track record or major booster support like Les and he's staring down the possibility of missing a bowl after dropping a gimme to loving Kansas. It'd be real funny but it's not gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sab0921 posted:

BoR- "I'll look at it at the time. I'm not looking at anything right now, I'll look at it at the time. I'll keep you in suspense, okay?"

• Locked thread