Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Type 95 Ha-Go

Queue: Type 95, T-70, Dicker Max, T-62, Medium Mk.II, Light Tank M2, Combat Car T4

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car M1
:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Infantry Tank Mk.I NEW

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda
Tank destroyers on the T-30 and T-40 chassis NEW

:sweden:
L-10 and L-30
Strv m/40

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40
Char B

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C
PzIV Ausf. D through E

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen
Combat Car T4

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

They can only go where the train line goes, but the train line mostly goes to major industrial and population hubs. Which is probably where you want to go as well. And in the era before the tank and anti tank gun, who the gently caress is going to stop a giant rail mounted battleship bristling with armour and guns?

I really wish someone would make a game about armoured trains, there's a few but none of them really go for "here build a loving beastly murdertrain with old warship parts and go nuts with it".

You don't need to do anything with the train itself. One well-placed mortar round on the track ahead of it is all it takes.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Dicker Max will never not be the most hilariously named armoured vehicle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StashAugustine posted:

There's a cool series of articles about how national abilities in Civ and the like reflect our cultural thinking: http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2010/11/05/national-characters/

That's an interesting article, and I'd be interested to see the author's thoughts on other civs that were introduced later in the series, and updated to include the later Civ 5 expansions and Civ6. There's some interesting moves like redressing America as a cultural powerhouse in Civ6, or Germany getting increasingly flavored in Beyond Earth and 6 as a diplomatic and trade focused nation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

You don't need to do anything with the train itself. One well-placed mortar round on the track ahead of it is all it takes.

I believe that is why they screened the train with other forces. Also you have to blow up your own railway in that case which is probably not something you want to do. If you cause lasting damage to it it's going to scupper you as well as the enemy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Your armoured train can probably provide cover as your engineers repair the track.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Deteriorata posted:

If by mortar you mean a 81mm-120mm piece then no, railroads can take much more punishment than that and repairing a section of damaged or dismantled tracks is quickly done because you don't need too complicated equipment, just some pieces of track and some gravel. What you need to do is remove sections of the tracks and then place some artillery pieces in guard so enemy engineers can't just come and repair them.

During Finnish civil war Reds at one point invented TBIED, train-borne improvised explosive device. They had heard that there was an explosive-ladden train at the White-held railway station just across the front line, so they rigged a locomotive with a car of explosives and set it to full steam with safety valves shut, the idea being that it would roll to the station, hit the ammunition train and explode, after which another manned train would follow and capture the station. Except that the intel was wrong and there was no munition train at the station, and while the unmanned locomotive got through the frontline, it stopped at an obstacle at the station and Whites managed to make it harmless by opening the safety valves.

edit: heh these guys were so reckless

quote:

January 31st: Some 300 men from Varkaus Red Guard commandeer a train from Varkaus and head with it towards Pieksämäki. The Whites found out about this and decided to stop this train by sending locomotive without a crew with full speed in the opposite direction to the same rail. However the Reds had also made precautions by adding three flatcars loaded with sand in front of their train. When the collision happened it derailed the flatcars loaded with sand, but failed to cause serious damage to the locomotive. After this train-accident-by-purpose the Reds were shaken enough that they decided to return Varkaus.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 21, 2016

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kanine posted:

Do we have any idea whatsoever what would happen if Trumo tried to do something stupid?

There wouldn't be much stopping him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Hering

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nenonen posted:

If by mortar you mean a 81mm-120mm piece then no, railroads can take much more punishment than that and repairing a section of damaged or dismantled tracks is quickly done because you don't need too complicated equipment, just some pieces of track and some gravel. What you need to do is remove sections of the tracks and then place some artillery pieces in guard so enemy engineers can't just come and repair them.

During Finnish civil war Reds at one point invented TBIED, train-borne improvised explosive device. They had heard that there was an explosive-ladden train at the White-held railway station just across the front line, so they rigged a locomotive with a car of explosives and set it to full steam with safety valves shut, the idea being that it would roll to the station, hit the ammunition train and explode, after which another manned train would follow and capture the station. Except that the intel was wrong and there was no munition train at the station, and while the unmanned locomotive got through the frontline, it stopped at an obstacle at the station and Whites managed to make it harmless by opening the safety valves.

edit: heh these guys were so reckless

What I was trying to say in a compact way is that an armored train is only as strong and secure as the tracks it's riding on. Tear those up and it's not going anywhere. Thus armored trains are only as useful so far as the track can be protected and maintained.

They're pretty much limited to regions with light arms fire; any enemy with artillery will take them out of action pretty quickly.

Armored trains always captures peoples' imagination as this really cool weapon that seemed underused. The reality is that they were extremely limited in what they could do and where they could go. Within those uses (primarily shielding troops from sniper fire) they did well, but once heavy guns got in range of them they had to skedaddle.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Nov 21, 2016

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Kellsterik posted:

Not that I know of. You might be thinking of an incident during the Yom Kippur War when there was a potential crisis that Kissinger handled because Nixon was drunk. Here's a brief writeup about it: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/richard-nixon-watergate-drunk-yom-kippur-war-119021

Didn't Reagan temporarily misplace his nuke-authorization card when he was hospitalized after the assassination attempt, the staff just stuck it in his shoes along with his wallet and other personal effects?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The USAAF said fuckit because the Luftwaffe didn't pose a threat, and the bare metal finish was a few mph faster than the painted aircraft.
Yeah, you can get away with that poo poo when you own the sky. In the Cold War, most NATO low and slow aircraft (ground-attack birds and cargo planes) were painted in green/grey camo. B-52s over Vietnam were woodland camo on top, white below, and the USN used dark blue above/white belly in WWII, but were the first to adopt the all-over haze grey. Nowadays the USAF is mostly light grey for fighters (to blend in with the sky) and dark grey for bombers (because they operate mostly at night, I guess).

See the middle three ships here:

The contrast is cranked in this particular photo, but the bomber variants of the F-15 are dark, and the fighter is light. (in reality they're more like the two colors on the Vipers there, that particular Mudhen unit may have actually been painted black, like the Navy fighter squadron that used to have the Playboy bunny on the tails)

Deteriorata posted:

What I was trying to say in a compact way is that an armored train is only as strong and secure as the tracks it's riding on. Tear those up and it's not going anywhere. Thus armored trains are only as useful so far as the track can be protected and maintained.
And obviously you're on the enemy's tracks, and, well, if it gets to the pouint that armored trains are brought out it's to the point that they're figuratively burning bridges. gently caress wasting arty on it, just drag a bigass hook behind the last evacuation train.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
On the other hand, armored trains are the fastest thing on the ground around WWI and they use the rail that you want to keep intact for your own movement. So they can always keep changing position, disgorgibg troops in all those important places (if they weren't important, they wouldn't have rail) where they can gently caress up your movement and supply while also supporting said troops.

I think it really shines in an RCW scenario where you have huge tracts of nothing connected only by the vital rail you can't afford to sabotage and really nothing approacing an artillery park.

And even if you had a park, good luck communicating with it in a timely manner to gently caress up a train.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, tearing up the rails is pretty much just a Soviet scorched-earth retreat thing. And yeah, the rails the invaded party hopes to take back are great for supplying the invading army. And hell, just put the arty on the rails, they can carry bigger guns than can be dragged through the mud.

Though aiming is a bit more difficult, you have to build a switch and siding to traverse the gun.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Why were so many planes in WWII painted green?

It is kind of interesting how this worked out...camo for planes in the air is generally not worth the weight of the paint (at least in WWII), but if your air force is under constant air attack while it is on the ground, getting your aircraft to blend in with their surroundings increases their survivability a whole lot.

The main reason planes are painted today is just corrosion resistance, it has practically nothing to do with visual observability. In WWII this was hardly an issue since the average plane's life expectancy was like 20 minutes or so but when you have airframes that are needing to last decades and or centuries then corrosion resistance becomes significant. If you've ever seen a fighter aircraft in flight from the air or the ground, it is pretty clear that camouflaging it in the traditional sense is a pretty futile exercise.

Also I don't know how much this actually holds water but I've long felt like the ACW was kind of a high point for armored trains - they were the fastest thing on the planet, and no one really had the means to indirectly interdict the tracks as yet, so it was actually viable to arm and armor a train as a means of defending a stretch of track so long as you patrolled the track regularly. One Beford Forrest would probably laugh at this argument though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Deteriorata posted:

They're pretty much limited to regions with light arms fire; any enemy with artillery will take them out of action pretty quickly.

Armored trains always captures peoples' imagination as this really cool weapon that seemed underused. The reality is that they were extremely limited in what they could do and where they could go. Within those uses (primarily shielding troops from sniper fire) they did well, but once heavy guns got in range of them they had to skedaddle.

It looks like we have very different perspectives here. For one, tracks are a lot more robust than you make them sound, they're a bitch to sabotage (especially in winter when ground is frozen solid) and literally the easiest thing on earth to fix.

Armoured trains are not invincible wunderwaffe of course, but as defensive weapons they're perfect, basically bunkers on wheels, and for support of attacking infantry they're wonderful. Especially in a civil war environment like in Finland or Russia where inexperienced troops' morale wavered easily, having a big rear end train in your support helped in many ways. First of all it provided a fire base to which you could depend on; second it took care of your supply needs, and third it kept the infantry together because in case poo poo hit the fan a train was the best way to evacuate. Later on armoured trains' main function was to protect supply lines from enemy air interdiction, but there were also front line support actions in WW2. A Finnish armoured train was operational at the front for all of Winter War, and despite Soviets trying to bomb it out with everything they had, it just kept choo-chooing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Endman posted:

The Dicker Max will never not be the most hilariously named armoured vehicle.

Same but for the SLAMRAAM as surface-launched AA.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Welp, guess I'll be doing British explosives next. If anyone has any objections let me know.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Don't care how useful armoured trains are, Echelonnaya is the best war song.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bewbies posted:

The main reason planes are painted today is just corrosion resistance, it has practically nothing to do with visual observability. In WWII this was hardly an issue since the average plane's life expectancy was like 20 minutes or so but when you have airframes that are needing to last decades and or centuries then corrosion resistance becomes significant. If you've ever seen a fighter aircraft in flight from the air or the ground, it is pretty clear that camouflaging it in the traditional sense is a pretty futile exercise.

Painting your aircraft also stops your planes being sighted due to glinting in sunlight though. Also stealth aircraft are coated in radar-absorbing paint (that you need to repaint every time you open a hatch on the F-22 for $$$)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hey the one time in human history British cavalry did something sort of right.

In response to an earlier post of yours, while armored tactics including exploitation of breakthroughs were inspired by (light) cavalry tactics, by 1914 cavalry were dragoons, and they stayed that way forever. I don't care what people chose to carry on the nomenclature of cavalry units. True cavalry died by 1914.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nenonen posted:

it's okay, no catholic state has ever had good beer (yeap gently caress those leprechaun buggers!)

dude, bavaria

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Welp, guess I'll be doing British explosives next. If anyone has any objections let me know.

Go forth!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

bewbies posted:

Counterpoint: in WWII, visual camo was still a thing (well, as long as the Luftwaffe was still a thing, anyway), they paint 'em all grey now because they're going to be noticed well beyond visual range anyway, so why bother?

Edit: Centuries? Even the BUFF's supposed to be retired when the last airframe is 80 years old. But given military procurement, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them made it to the century mark in service.

What's the longest-serving military vehicle/vessel? Not including honorary positions like HMS Victory and USS Constitution.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

In response to an earlier post of yours, while armored tactics including exploitation of breakthroughs were inspired by (light) cavalry tactics, by 1914 cavalry were dragoons, and they stayed that way forever. I don't care what people chose to carry on the nomenclature of cavalry units. True cavalry died by 1914.
73 Easting was a classic heavy cav action, just with miles-long lances. Also, horse cav was still a thing into WWII, if not very successful.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 21, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
For the guy who was saying they never go to other threads so maybe the internet is this bad, this is what's popped up on one of my wargaming threads today:

quote:

You've got distinctions between british airlanding and paratrooper platoons
Things which are actually different. There is literally no difference between strelkovy and (Soviet -spec) paratroopers. Barely any soviet units had training, and they can take any support they want, so they are all interchangeable. Soviets won via numerical supremacy, not because any of them had any unique tactics.

EDIT: Oh hey there's more:

quote:

There is still no difference. Theoretically soviets had all these wonderful commanders but none of them dared speak up because of the purges. All advances made in soviet doctrine were ignored, and in practise all soviet troops were undertrained conscripts who were herded forward. You don't need tactics when you outnumber someone 10:1, and indeed they didn't. 14 soviets died for every german. Those are the numbers you get when you charge into machineguns until they run out of ammo.

You want soviet veterans? Trained is your veteran; those are the most battle hardened a soviet could get before they either lucked out and got to go home or died.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

spectralent posted:

14 soviets died for every german

Yikes, including Soviet civilians into the Nazi k:dr isn't one that usually gets trotted out.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Yikes, including Soviet civilians into the Nazi k:dr isn't one that usually gets trotted out.

Hahaha oh man, I didn't spot that, I just thought he'd grabbed numbers out of his rear end since I couldn't work out how he'd gotten that high :allears:

(He's also not counting other axis nations :ssh:)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Delivery McGee posted:

What's the longest-serving military vehicle/vessel? Not including honorary positions like HMS Victory and USS Constitution..

Probably one of the Iowa class battleships. Missouri is a museum in Hawaii now but it formally accepted the Japanese surrender in 1945 and provided fire support for desert storm in 1991. Iowa was technically active through 2006 but it was really only in law only because the law explicitly required no less than two (2) Iowa-class battleships to be kept online. It had previously been decommissioned and stricken from the register in the 90s but hey it was maintained through 2006 even if it was off the books for like 4 years.

E: USS Pueblo POW/MIA never forget

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 21, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

So I posted "These are the numbers you get when you include soviet civillians so what the gently caress?".

quote:

Soviet "civilians", by which you mean militia, partisans and terrorists, yes? I am not denying that the Nazis committed many grave crimes, including mass killings, but the vast majority of soviets killed were killed in action; it just depends on whether this was official, organised action by the red army, or independent action by soviet-backed resistance. Those are still soviet soldiers who died.

:magical:

edit: Some wehraboo palette cleanser:

quote:

It is undeniable the Germans were the most tactically advanced and highly trained force in the world during WW2. They had the equipment, training and discipline. Politically they were monstrous but their low-level combat effectiveness is undeniable and was vastly superior to that of the soviets, or indeed any other force in the world at the time, to the extent that almost every army in the world took their doctrine and training after the war (including the soviets, who would then attempt to pass it off as a development of pre-war doctrine they were never able to implement).

spectralent fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 21, 2016

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alright, who cloned loving Goebbels and gave him internet access?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am convinced that discussing this stuff on the majority of the internet is loving pointless as you will always get these kind of assholes poisoning the water hole.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hey the one time in human history British cavalry did something sort of right.

With both Lucan AND Cardigan "working" together I am amazed such a gently caress up didn't happen earlier in that war. Poor old Raglan.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 21, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am convinced that discussing this stuff on the majority of the internet is loving pointless as you will always get these kind of assholes poisoning the water hole.

Yeah, basically. If it's true that we spend undue amounts of time dunking on the germans, it's because we talk to idiots like these goobers constantly everywhere else.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

What's the longest-serving military vehicle/vessel? Not including honorary positions like HMS Victory and USS Constitution.

Salvage vessel Kommuna, originally commissioned in 1915.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

quote:

Einsatzgruppen were counter-terror units!

Good lord, is this guy Goebbels reincarnated? Next he'll be reminding us that Victor wrote all the history, and everybody knows you can never trust him to tell the truth.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The actual kd/r was 1:1.14 iirc.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Wow, I've seen some staunch wehraboos, but this guy stands head and shoulders above anyone else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not genocide guys! counter terrorism!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

one mans terrorist is another mans freedom figh :suicide:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Soviet terroristic army used terrible tactics like lining up in front of a ditch to get shot, gathering inside buildings that are set on fire, or working as slaves for the German war machine until they dropped dead of starvation or exhaustion.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

HMS Implacable? Laid down 1797, launched as Duguay-Trouin into the French navy in 1800, survived Trafalgar, captured by the RN and recommissioned as Implacable in November 1805, in active sea service into the 1840s, then converted to a training ship/ accommodation ship/ coal hulk. Until 1949, when she was scuttled.

Video of the scuttling: http://www.britishpathe.com/video/Implacable-to-the-end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Fangz posted:

The Soviet terroristic army used terrible tactics like lining up in front of a ditch to get shot, gathering inside buildings that are set on fire, or working as slaves for the German war machine until they dropped dead of starvation or exhaustion.

Guys you can't argue with military realities.

quote:

Explain where I have made a Nazi statement. I have stated history as it happened, nothing more or less. Of course I condemn totalitarian regimes such as naziism and stalinism absolutely. I am speaking entirely of military realities.

I love the implied "The soviets were just as bad!".