Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I want Tutorial Ghost Cardinal Richelieu in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Just how much of a spiritual successor is this to the Tales of Game's magnum opus, Chef Boyardee’s Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Can you play as Donatien Alphonse François de Sade?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Solomonic posted:

Hi OP. Will Cardinal Richelieu be in this game? I realize that, of course, he had unfortunately passed away prior to the start of the French Revolution, but would it perhaps be possible to include him as a sort of phantasmic mentor figure for the protagonist, in the style of Obi-Wan Kenobi or that merchant NPC from Darksiders? Thanks for listening, we at the Something Awful Forums appreciate your commitment to open development.

Maybe he can team up with Mazarin as a duo of grouchy old dead guys who complain about how back in MY day we didn't have no fancy shmancy machines for when we wanted to behead people :bahgawd:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Mengelez posted:

the scarlet pimpernel would make a great boss/party member and instead of :siren:SEVERE TRIGGER WARNING:siren: guillotines you could use medieval style 'stocks' and there could be a minigame where you have to swipe rotten vegetables out of the air. just an idea 【ツ】

hehehe
I'll pass that idea on ^^

Solomonic posted:

Hi OP. Will Cardinal Richelieu be in this game? I realize that, of course, he had unfortunately passed away prior to the start of the French Revolution, but would it perhaps be possible to include him as a sort of phantasmic mentor figure for the protagonist, in the style of Obi-Wan Kenobi or that merchant NPC from Darksiders? Thanks for listening, we at the Something Awful Forums appreciate your commitment to open development.

That's not a bad idea!
As I mentioned before (can't remember where or when), we are seriously thinking of having some sort of non-realistic healing or attacking powers. And having a dead historical figure appear as a mentor is a great idea! Thank you (:

By the way, one of the reasons we opened this thread, is because we want to hear people's ideas for Thermidor, and for them to take an active part in the development. Isn't it great that no matter where you are in the world, your ideas for a JRPG game being developed in Japan, actually reach the developer, and might be implemented in the game? I see it as a new era for game development when even the smallest and farthest voice can reach the top.
And that's also part of the reason we are going with crowdfunding, instead of the traditional way. Crowdfunding is mostly, but not entirely about the funding, It's also about sharing every single moment of the development with the backers, and listening to their comments and suggestions, thus insuring that Thermidor will be GREAT.

I'd like to also just add that Carlo Perconti, the CEO of HyperDevbox, is the mind behind this project, and his ideas for the game are absolutely fantastic, and some even groundbreaking. Not to mention his "out of this world" passion for gaming.
I personally am very much looking forward to writing the soundtrack, and hopefully make it as great as the game itself.

Crazy Achmed posted:

What type of fencing are we talking here? Oldschool cut-and-thrust rapier, smallsword thrust-only stuff, or the perennial military sabre? Armandine has very skinny legs for someone who's supposed to be an expert fencer and similarly, she should really be wearing baggier breeches otherwise she'll have a hard time moving and fighting properly.

Also how are you handing damage in combat? Typically all the weapons discussed so far (including guillotines) would kill or incapacitate in a single hit.

Like other JRPGs and games, no matter what the weapon is, you will lose HP or health on each hit. But what will be unique in Thermidor, is that a big hit can cause you to drop your weapon! More details will be explained at the launch of the campaign, which is getting near!

Crazy Achmed posted:

Hey, I just really like fencing, and realistic depictions of women in fiction. Plus given that this is a real-world rather than a fantasy setting (right?) I genuinely want to know if there is any concession made to this in terms of the combat system, or whether you're going with the tried and true "get shot in the face and run through six times but don't give no fucks because I still have 53HP left". I know realism has probably got to be given the chop in favour of the game actually being fun to play, but, hey, if you have any interesting spins on JRPG combat then inquiring minds want to know.
On a related note, will you buck centuries of JRPG tradition and have guns that are more damaging than swords?

We are all for realism, but part of the fun in JRPGs is the correct usage of HP, and in Thermidor's case, also skill points for each weapon. so a character skilled with a rifle, using a super attack, would definitely deal a lot of damage. But a less skilled character might actually even miss his target entirely.
But yes, I think the rifles in the game will be more powerful than the sword, and also grant the ability to attack from a distance. And the further away from the target, the more likely you will miss or make less damage.
The game is still in its very early development stage, so we won't know exactly how these attacks will be until we get there ^^ but we have a lot of ideas about it.

Look! A Horse! posted:

huh? you seem to be implying that any work of historical fiction that doesn't get all the details right is worthless. I think that creating a meaningful story that is also relevant to the setting is much more important than getting the "facts straight". Neither of which this game will do but still...

I was about to agree with you and give you a big thumbs up for the first part of your comment, but then you had to ruin it with your unnecessary negativity and pessimism at the end... :golfclap:

Super No Vacancy posted:

op can you tell us the origin of hyperdevbox's name

It's actually a name that contains a special code, that if revealed, will give you the coordinates to a wormhole that leads to the frozen planet of Zabrob in the constellation Globerjarm 12.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

First want to take the time to say how cool it is you are engaging with the community like this, and you seem to know so much that I almost forgot you are in charge of the soundtrack and not the development or storyline! Very cool.

On the topic of music, the concept of the game really reminds me of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado," and I'm glad to see you guys wearing that on your sleeve- down to the naming of the characters (for those not in the know, I'm talking about satirically using made-up names like "Leandre" and "Amandine" as opposed to authentic Japanese names e.g. Hiro, Mitsuko, it's a great nod to the faux-japanese names of The Mikado like "Nanki-Poo" and "Pish-Tush"). Could you explain a little bit how you came to that influence and the process behind writing music for a story focused around Japanese aesthetics, culture and characters in the trappings of 1790s France? I can't wait to get some more samples of the music because I think there's a lot of potential here and that the project is very forward thinking. For now- did you intentionally mimic the pop operatic structure Sullivan was famous for or did it follow naturally as you matched the music to the tone of the game and its influences?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Camel Camus posted:

First want to take the time to say how cool it is you are engaging with the community like this, and you seem to know so much that I almost forgot you are in charge of the soundtrack and not the development or storyline! Very cool.

On the topic of music, the concept of the game really reminds me of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado," and I'm glad to see you guys wearing that on your sleeve- down to the naming of the characters (for those not in the know, I'm talking about satirically using made-up names like "Leandre" and "Amandine" as opposed to authentic Japanese names e.g. Hiro, Mitsuko, it's a great nod to the faux-japanese names of The Mikado like "Nanki-Poo" and "Pish-Tush"). Could you explain a little bit how you came to that influence and the process behind writing music for a story focused around Japanese aesthetics, culture and characters in the trappings of 1790s France? I can't wait to get some more samples of the music because I think there's a lot of potential here and that the project is very forward thinking. For now- did you intentionally mimic the pop operatic structure Sullivan was famous for or did it follow naturally as you matched the music to the tone of the game and its influences?

Thank you very much for the lovely comments!

Actually, there is no mimicking of any kind of music, and inspiration comes from the huge mixture of genres that I listen to.
We have a very clear idea of what kind of soundtrack we want for Thermidor, but I also have a lot of creative freedom with this game ^^
As the game development progresses, and the soundtrack is being written, I will try and implement different motifs in the music that are connected to the game's setting, while doing my best to sound modern and unique.

Here's another little taste of the game's OST.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

hyperdevbox posted:

By the way, one of the reasons we opened this thread, is because we want to hear people's ideas for Thermidor, and for them to take an active part in the development.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I love indie JRPGs on Kickstarter.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Please add a mario-carts style mini-game where I can drive around and shoot guillotines at people and if I get chopped it goes "UH OH SPAGGETIO" and then bowser overtakes me.

I feel this is missing in JRPGS

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I, for one, am very glad that a chapter of Neil Gaiman's famous "The Sandman" manga is finally getting a proper video game adaptation. High time, if you ask me.
Hope that the next chapter to be adapted is "Ramadan", that one was breathtakingly amazing.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I still say that the game should use the French Revolutionary calendar as a way to keep track of events happening in the game! Such a unique calendar that would be a waste to ignore!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I wonder if the author of this thread was aware of how close to our goon hearts "games that are crowdfunded" are, indeed, this very forum having a sub forum devoted to just one crowdfunded game of note, Perhaps this esteemed game maker should spend some time in thiat forum, which, oddly, has no reference to the mechanism for seperating heads from bodies, but rather, cash for jpg's?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
if I donate a bunch of money can I be a playable character?

disclaimer: I am a guillotine.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I thought this was going to be some kind of cooking game rpg hybrid. Talk about disappointment.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I personally can't wait for this game to be abandoned (either through sloth or incompetence) 2/3rds of the way through its Early Access release.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Having a little issue and looking for help.I got the game today and tried to install it. I put in Disc 1 and the install screen appears, but the install screen shows no progress. All it says is "estimated 2 minutes left" and those 2 minutes are endless. The version I have is the boxed version with the bonus content on the disk. My girlfriend tried to install the game on her computer and it worked perfectly - the launcher immediately started installing the game. Biggest difference between systems is that I use Windows 10 and she uses Windows 7. The disk drive itself is external and worked for her computer, so I don't think it is the drive.

I've tried to install the game more than 50 times now. At first I waited one hour because I thought it might just need some time to think, but no luck.I have 57GB of SSD space left, and my computer itself is a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. Has anyone else had this issue or know of a fix?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Have you tried adding -w or -dx10 to the command line?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

hyperdevbox posted:

And that's also part of the reason we are going with crowdfunding, instead of the traditional way.

but mostly it's because you don't have any money, making the "traditional way" a non-option

like if you stopped being a bitch and just added guillotines (which you can breed) you are aware that we'd fund the poo poo out of your game, right?

seriously being a game dev isn't that hard dude, just tighten up the graphics and give the people what they want, or someone else will (I am contacting the appropriate copyright authorities as I type)

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

KingSlime posted:

but mostly it's because you don't have any money, making the "traditional way" a non-option

like if you stopped being a bitch and just added guillotines (which you can breed) you are aware that we'd fund the poo poo out of your game, right?
If they made it the "traditional" way. First no one would ever fund them and second the boss or company owners would force them to add guillotines because normal companies want to make money unlike hyperdev.

Kickstarter allows hyperdev to keep its vision "pure" ,historically inaccurate, guillotine free,and profit free as well.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Omnicarus posted:

Having a little issue and looking for help.I got the game today and tried to install it. I put in Disc 1 and the install screen appears, but the install screen shows no progress. All it says is "estimated 2 minutes left" and those 2 minutes are endless. The version I have is the boxed version with the bonus content on the disk. My girlfriend tried to install the game on her computer and it worked perfectly - the launcher immediately started installing the game. Biggest difference between systems is that I use Windows 10 and she uses Windows 7. The disk drive itself is external and worked for her computer, so I don't think it is the drive.

I've tried to install the game more than 50 times now. At first I waited one hour because I thought it might just need some time to think, but no luck.I have 57GB of SSD space left, and my computer itself is a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. Has anyone else had this issue or know of a fix?

I didn't have any trouble with my copy, but I've got the 5¼-inch floppy version. :shrug:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Oh, awesome, So I can actually get this running on my atari 1040 stfx?
It will make a change from Captain Blood,
Say, how about Jean Michelle Jarre doing the music for Thermidor?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
:siren: GUILLOTINE CONFIRMED :siren: I REPEAT, :siren: GUILLOTINE CONFIRMED :siren:

As a bonus for preordering Thermidor JRPG, you will soon gain access to a companion in the story with a... unique way to dispatching foes. Our prayers have been answered!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Who changed the name of this post?
How is that possible? And, how do I change it back?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hyperdevbox posted:

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

hyperdevbox posted:

When hyperdevbox finds out who did this, heads are going to roll.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

hyperdevbox posted:

Only the original poster can change it. You must have got drunk and changed it yourself.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I think one of his devs got onto his account and then changed the name to something more accurate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

hyperdevbox posted:

oh my god

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

hyperdevbox posted:

:twisted:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

hyperdevbox posted:

Don't worry about, it's all part of the experience.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

hyperdevbox posted:

I did it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Arrrthritis posted:

When hyperdevbox finds out who did this, heads are going to roll.

I already made that joke. Make a different one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We must find the culprit...

... then off with his head!!!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

hyperdevbox posted:

Echoing that only OPs can change a thread name, I thought you were being cool. Sad to see I was mistaken.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Wrong! The truth is that French Government is angry about its culture and history being mistreated in gaming and has decided to fight back by hacking the thread title. :tinfoil: :france:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

hyperdevbox posted:

I'm sorry, there must be some kind of glitch going on because when I tried fixing it, it wouldn't let me delete anything and only add new stuff so I did the best I could with this situation. I contacted the admins about it, you must be patient.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
OP, I'm sorry that someone at your workplace has messed with your account. I feel your pain, brother. Someone periodically posts in the anime subforum in my name, trying to tarnish my reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Glad that the NDA has been lifted and super hype that guillotines are now confirmed!

hyperdevbox posted:

the other 20% are genuinely interested in the game! And that is good enough ^^

:lol:

• Locked thread