Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

what's gone on with crusader kings? i know nothing.

It got terrible for a few years under a particular director and after he moved off the project the next DLC/update under the new staff literally added a menu option to just roll back the game rules and it was incredibly well received lol. The guy posts on this forum and his coworkers show up periodically to flame him which is insanely bizarre to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

mutata posted:

Who is this directed to? What an oddly factual post.

Edit: This is the Pop Up Video of forum posts.

It's directed at the same few people who keep getting all mad every time a fan project that Nintendo shut down is mentioned. I get the frustration when a cool thing is shut down for what is basically dumb laws but come on, accept that it happens.

Edit: I like Pop Up Video so I'll take that as a compliment.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cardboard Box A posted:

Pokémon Uranium

Well I mean, removing this one is pretty good.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Or don't! Whichever!

Soral
May 30, 2009

heard from a very reliable source reggie was furious that federation force didn't get any nominations but a metroid fan game was up for an award so he sent a very angry 3 am phone call to geoff keighley demanding either federation force win an award or am2r be removed. geoff made the right call in my opinion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

It got terrible for a few years under a particular director and after he moved off the project the next DLC/update under the new staff literally added a menu option to just roll back the game rules and it was incredibly well received lol. The guy posts on this forum and his coworkers show up periodically to flame him which is insanely bizarre to see

lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's directed at the same few people who keep getting all mad every time a fan project that Nintendo shut down is mentioned. I get the frustration when a cool thing is shut down for what is basically dumb laws but come on, accept that it happens.

Edit: I like Pop Up Video so I'll take that as a compliment.

Yeah, I mean, I'm entirely in favor of the "gently caress infinite and eternal copyright laws' bandwagon but wondering why every company doesn't treat every fan game with kid gloves is silly. Not even the companies who are permissive of fan works are universally so and even the ones that are tend to not be super-thrilled with them getting heavily promoted unless they explicitly have something set up in order to monetize those fan works.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean Samus is depicted in AM2R as a total badass and not a blowup doll so I can see why sakamoto wanted it removed at least

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Grapplejack posted:

I mean Samus is depicted in AM2R as a total badass and not a blowup doll so I can see why sakamoto wanted it removed at least

I know this is a joke but a lot of people these days seem like they legit believe the actual developers of the official games back in Japan are the ones who are telling the various legal teams around the world to do lovely stuff.

Which again plays into a good narrative but doesn't make a lot of sense when we're talking about franchises not named Metroid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kinda wish we weren't still limited to 6 pokemon parties, i hate having to choose who has to wait in the box

Meowth is Dark type now :eyepop:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

He has finally been consumed by his greed.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'm entirely in favor of the "gently caress infinite and eternal copyright laws' bandwagon but wondering why every company doesn't treat every fan game with kid gloves is silly. Not even the companies who are permissive of fan works are universally so and even the ones that are tend to not be super-thrilled with them getting heavily promoted unless they explicitly have something set up in order to monetize those fan works.

All anyone ever says is "It's dumb that Nintendo are assholes about this when other companies are super cool about it which means they could be too."

Some of y'all are counterpointing into the void is what I'm saying.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Played a game of Civ 6 at my brother's and finally went for the religious victory and won in the early 1400s because the AI has less idea on how to handle religious combat than regular combat.

Like regular combat, they drive their chariots around in a circle and get picked off, but with religious combat, they actually suicide attack when they have terrible odds like every single time. You basically just need to generate a lot of faith, unit spam Apostles, and get the technology to embark and nobody ever touches you as long as you keep a decent standing army. It's the easiest game of Civ I ever played since Civ III when they made the expansion that gave you a wonder that generated horse archers every turn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mutata posted:

All anyone ever says is "It's dumb that Nintendo are assholes about this when other companies are super cool about it which means they could be too."

Some of y'all are counterpointing into the void is what I'm trying to say.

Other companies are cool about it because they have actual reasons to be. Valve has a vested interest in people promoting their engines and service and in monetizing those fan creations. No poo poo they're more permissive about it. They're not doing it because they ~~love the fans so much~~

It's tiresome seeing people pretend like companies care the smallest iota about them and are 'nice' to them because they love video games. They don't. They want your money. If they felt a fan work seriously offered a risk at getting your money they would shut it down in a second. Pointing at other companies and going "They do it! Why doesn't (X)" should be met with "So why do those other companies do it?" And if anyone unironically gives the answer of "because they like their fans" then they deserve to be laughed at.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

precision posted:

This is incredibly shocking. I need to sit down and think about this for a while.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Other companies are cool about it because they have actual reasons to be. Valve has a vested interest in people promoting their engines and service and in monetizing those fan creations. No poo poo they're more permissive about it. They're not doing it because they ~~love the fans so much~~

Any company can do whatever they want. It's objectively stupid that Nintendo are assholes about fan games. But you're right, let's talk about which Final Fantasy is the best one again.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's tiresome seeing people pretend like companies care the smallest iota about them and are 'nice' to them because they love video games. They don't. They want your money. If they felt a fan work seriously offered a risk at getting your money they would shut it down in a second.

As a corollary to this, never defend a corporation, unless it is literally your job to do so.

Soral
May 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's tiresome seeing people pretend like companies care the smallest iota about them and are 'nice' to them because they love video games. They don't. They want your money. If they felt a fan work seriously offered a risk at getting your money they would shut it down in a second. Pointing at other companies and going "They do it! Why doesn't (X)" should be met with "So why do those other companies do it?" And if anyone unironically gives the answer of "because they like their fans" then they deserve to be laughed at.

i dont think anyone is actually saying any of these faceless megacorporations are nice guys, but that it is nice when they treat fan games in certain ways, my dude. also your av loving sucks

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dumb copyright bullshit is why we dont have The Great Ace Attorney in the US :/

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

chumbler posted:

As a corollary to this, never defend a corporation, unless it is literally your job to do so.

But Nintendo sends me happy birthday emails!

Soral
May 30, 2009

me, an avid video game fan: i like that i can play and enjoy this fan made creation
guy with an avatar i hate: uhh, you idiot. you loving moron. corporations are literally hitlers
me: im sorry. im removing the rom's from my hard drive. i'm sorry

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soral posted:

i dont think anyone is actually saying any of these faceless megacorporations are nice guys, but that it is nice when they treat fan games in certain ways, my dude. also your av loving sucks

Nah. People get super angry and upset about it. They're convinced NIntendo/Square-Enix/Whoever Else Is Being Whined About Today is being extra-special mean guys and only doing it because they hate fans/nobody likes them anyway/other tedious stuff.

Also I've had people message me saying my AV owns so :colbert:

Soral posted:

me, an avid video game fan: i like that i can play and enjoy this fan made creation
guy with an avatar i hate: uhh, you idiot. you loving moron. corporations are literally hitlers
me: im sorry. im removing the rom's from my hard drive. i'm sorry

Yes, that is... a logical reading of anything anyone said in this conversation?

Soral
May 30, 2009

those people are gaslighting you

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mutata posted:

Any company can do whatever they want. It's objectively stupid that Nintendo are assholes about fan games. But you're right, let's talk about which Final Fantasy is the best one again.

XIII

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

World of

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Accurate answer.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
FFVII is only $2 on PSN at the moment. I bought it, I will maybe play it one day.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. People get super angry and upset about it. They're convinced NIntendo/Square-Enix/Whoever Else Is Being Whined About Today is being extra-special mean guys and only doing it because they hate fans/nobody likes them anyway/other tedious stuff.

Ah yes, People. You know, those People and the things they always say. Darn those People.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

FFVII is only $2 on PSN at the moment. I bought it, I will maybe play it one day.

Is it the PS1 version or the PS4 version? The latter has a 3x speed feature which makes it a lot more tolerable to play.

CJacobs posted:

Ah yes, People. You know, those People and the things they always say. Darn those People.

Grapplejack posted:

I mean I guess when the only thing you have left as a company is to sell tchotchkes containing ripped roms of games you made 20+ years ago anything that bites into that profit needs to be removed immediately

Literally part of this conversation, man.

Soral
May 30, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, that is... a logical reading of anything anyone said in this conversation?

i have problems understanding hyperbole in posts that are obviously not serious as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

Literally part of this conversation, man.

You said exactly what you quoted from Grapplejack in this post

ImpAtom posted:

They want your money. If they felt a fan work seriously offered a risk at getting your money they would shut it down in a second.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

ImpAtom posted:

Is it the PS1 version or the PS4 version? The latter has a 3x speed feature which makes it a lot more tolerable to play.

PSOne version and I know I am crazy but I am not opposed to grinding in JRPGs. I'm playing pokemon right now as I watch dumb TV shows on Netflix.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Corporations are bad but that doesn't mean that some of them aren't better than others or that the individual people within those corporations are evil.

It's okay to really hate everything about EA but to like some companies which practice nicer business models and are better to their employees, I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You said exactly what you quoted from Grapplejack in this post

"They are only doing it because they literally have nothing else to offer but 20 year old roms" is not exactly the same thing, no. It's the exact same thing that happens every single time this comes up. "(X) only shut down the fan project because they knew it would be/was better!!" (Which to be fair is hilariously true in the case of AMR2 though incredibly false with Pokemon Uranium.)

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

PSOne version and I know I am crazy but I am not opposed to grinding in JRPGs. I'm playing pokemon right now as I watch dumb TV shows on Netflix.

Nah, it's not so much grinding, it is just kind of a slow game because it's a PS1-era JRPG. You shouldn't need to grind at all short of doing the super-duper-optional-bosses or whatever.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I absolutely believe that a lot of the individual people who work at video game companies do just loe games, and there are companies that feel that is a threat to a successful business model and companies which feel that just kind of letting those people do what they do is going to produce a successful product, or even that some unsuccessful products that only sell to a niche market will offer prestige to their brands. Not everyone working media has some kind of cynical bean counter in their heads when they create stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

FF7 is one of the oldest JRPGs I can think of where you literally never need to grind, not even a little bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

FF7 is one of the oldest JRPGs I can think of where you literally never need to grind, not even a little bit.

Er-hem, Chocobos...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Like I absolutely believe that a lot of the individual people who work at video game companies do just loe games, and there are companies that feel that is a threat to a successful business model and companies which feel that just kind of letting those people do what they do is going to produce a successful product, or even that some unsuccessful products that only sell to a niche market will offer prestige to their brands. Not everyone working media has some kind of cynical bean counter in their heads when they create stuff.

I'm sure almost anyone who gets into making video games loves games because it's sure not a career you take for the money alone. However the people making the games are not the company, and outside of a very small number of 'star' developers you probably don't even know any of their names or what games they worked on. More importantly they're not the ones making decisions about shutting down fan projects or sending C&Ds or whatever. Even higher ups like Sakamoto are not the ones going "Nintendo, shut down that fan remake, it ruined my waifu."

Lurdiak posted:

Er-hem, Chocobos...

You can finish the entire drat game without touching those things to be fair. They're just there to get a couple of overpowered materia.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

You can finish the entire drat game without touching those things to be fair. They're just there to get a couple of overpowered materia.

Still, it's one of the grindiest things I've seen in a non Dragon Quest RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sakamoto actually does shut down all fan projects and he is actually hooked up to a bunch of wires in a lazurus pit like the troll man from dreamfall the longest journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFpBZPdX57g

(i have no idea who made this video it was just the first google result)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 21, 2016

• Locked thread