Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are making a lot of assumptions here, like that they'd have to "make" Darryl eat dog food. :v:

"This is bullshit man, Merle always used to make us Purina. I know this poo poo is Alpo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

MeLKoR posted:

e: /\/\/\

Agreed.

No, Negan's best chance of keeping Rick under control would have been to smash his head in. Even if he could "tame" Rick what would be the point? Warlords don't surround themselves with potential usurpers which Rick would certainly be if he joined them. For heaven's sake even if Negan wasn't evil how the hell would their #1 priority not be avenging their fallen comrades. If some group attacked an outpost of Alexandria and killed Daryl, Maggie and a number of other people would Rick be trying to recruit them or anything? He'd straight out murder everyone! Remember those guys from the library? What did they do to deserve such fate when apparently killing scores of Negan's people unprovoked is just brushed aside?

Any number of reasons. Hubris, pragmatism, getting off on the power he has over Rick.

He could be arrogant and prideful enough to think that he can control Rick. Which would be a huge benefit to him, Rick and Co. can get things done. It could also be a status thing. Ricks small group not only threatened the Saviors, but kicked the poo poo out of them on many occasions. Negan breaking Rick, in his mind, further cements his feeling that he's top dog and this is his world now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Guy Goodbody posted:

Basically she doesn't want to be crazy murder Carol, but she recognizes that in order to stay alive and keep her friends safe, she needs to be crazy murder carol. Therefore, the only way to not be the person she doesn't want to be, she has to cut herself from others and go off to die alone. But she also naturally wants to stay alive and keep connecting with others.

So that's her deal, she's vacillating between her desire to survive and her desire to not be the person she has to be to survive.

This is exactly how I read it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when she blew up Terminus, that was her first contact with Rick and the group since he excommunicated her. She'd already shown a willingness to go to extremes to protect the people she cares about - between killing/burning the people at the prison, to teaching Lizzie how to appreciate the simple beauty of nature. But that was the first time she recognized the effect holding onto those relationships was having on her, when she killed a bunch of strangers to save a group who had cast her out.

She's simply questioning whether or not she can continue to live with herself after doing those things, or if it's changing her to such an extent that she's no longer Carol.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Guy Goodbody posted:

And the Terminus survivors chased them for a couple more episodes. So the resolution to Terminus wasn't even one episode, it was the opposite of that. multiple episodes.

I think my point was more they built an entire season around trying to reach Terminus and then when they got there, they were out of the place in one episode. It was really jarring.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

britishbornandbread posted:

I think my point was more they built an entire season around trying to reach Terminus and then when they got there, they were out of the place in one episode. It was really jarring.

I guess, but I don't know what the alternative would have been. I guess it might have been interesting for them to get settled in for a couple episodes before getting shoved into the train carts, but I could also see that being incredibly boring. None of the Terminus characters were particularly interesting anyway so I'm happy how they handled it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I guess, but I don't know what the alternative would have been. I guess it might have been interesting for them to get settled in for a couple episodes before getting shoved into the train carts, but I could also see that being incredibly boring. None of the Terminus characters were particularly interesting anyway so I'm happy how they handled it.

I think the problem was they weren't given much of a chance to be interesting.

And for everyone pooh-poohing S2, i found if you binge it and fast forward through any scene with Lori/Andrea/Beth, it's a lot more tolerable. I still think the Shane/Otis plot early in the season was awesome, but goddamn, how many times did Daryl need to go off searching? I also feel they could have done more with the 'dissent' among the ranks. Andrea, T-Dog, Glenn and Daryl seemed to be behind the idea that Shane was extreme/a little unhinged but he was right about the situation, whereas Dale, Lori, Carol etc. seemed fine to defer to whatever Rick said.

Also, Hershel's infinite ammo cheat was amazing and the only casualties of the farm invasion being Jimmy and Patricia, the two total non-entities of the season, started the downward trend of 'we need to kill somebody. Somebody not that important.' If anything, nothing happening on the farm primed us for nothing happening w/ the Negan situation.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are making a lot of assumptions here, like that they'd have to "make" Darryl eat dog food. :v:

I wonder which Daryl prefers, eating dog or eating dog food.

Shooting Blanks posted:

She's simply questioning whether or not she can continue to live with herself after doing those things, or if it's changing her to such an extent that she's no longer Carol.

I don't even know what that means. Is it the Zombie Apocalypse version of, "she needs to go out, get drunk and get laid".

People with strong urge to live often die, those with questions or hesitations die even sooner. And "she's no longer Carol" is ambiguously vague. She was a woman with a daughter and an abusive husband. She's no longer that Carol and hasn't been, for a long time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shooting Blanks posted:

This is exactly how I read it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when she blew up Terminus, that was her first contact with Rick and the group since he excommunicated her. She'd already shown a willingness to go to extremes to protect the people she cares about - between killing/burning the people at the prison, to teaching Lizzie how to appreciate the simple beauty of nature. But that was the first time she recognized the effect holding onto those relationships was having on her, when she killed a bunch of strangers to save a group who had cast her out.

Yeah, they dealt with this when Carol was being held by the Saviors and was talking to the woman she saw herself in. Carol came to realize that she wasn't that much different from the Saviors and could have been one of them if things had broken differently. Shes having a hard time living with the things shes done and what she'll keep doing if she keeps having the reason to.

Isolating herself from people is all about taking away her reason to do bad things. She'll kill and torture for people she cares about so if she wants to stop killing and torturing shes eliminating the people part. Morgan and Ezekiel are basically trying to convince her she can change herself instead of pulling out of society entirely.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

She's a coward.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Alternate path: Carol tries to go Rambo on Negan's ambush, but Negan stops it and decides to take Carol instead of Daryl as the prisoner. It'd leave more uncertainty for the viewer over whether the captor would break than Daryl and give Carol more reason to be afraid she'd wind up like her Savior foil. I don't know who'd be going to the Kingdom and why, though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

britishbornandbread posted:

I will never criticize this show for moving too quickly.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Daryl sure gets captured a lot.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
one of my favorite scenes from this show was when Daryl blew up the motorcycle dudes with the rocket launcher

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Luvcow posted:

one of my favorite scenes from this show was when Daryl blew up the motorcycle dudes with the rocket launcher

Mine too. It was definitely my favorite scene from season 6.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Acacia REI posted:

Mine too. It was definitely my favorite scene from season 6.

:):hf::)

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Upset Rick, Mourning Rick, Agitated Rick, Traumatised Rick, Rageful Rick, Revenge Rick, Reactionary Rick, Resistant Rick, Perturbed Rick, Disturbed Rick, Angry Rick, Insane Rick, Hateful Rick, Vengeful Rick, Maniacal Rick, Sadistic Rick, Conflicted Rick, Violent Rick, Vicious Rick, Conniving Rick, Defender Rick, Protector Rick, Aggressor Rick, Martyr Rick, Sinner Rick, Forsaken Rick, Spiteful Rick

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Stickarts posted:

Upset Rick, Mourning Rick, Agitated Rick, Traumatised Rick, Rageful Rick, Revenge Rick, Reactionary Rick, Resistant Rick, Perturbed Rick, Disturbed Rick, Angry Rick, Insane Rick, Hateful Rick, Vengeful Rick, Maniacal Rick, Sadistic Rick, Conflicted Rick, Violent Rick, Vicious Rick, Conniving Rick, Defender Rick, Protector Rick, Aggressor Rick, Martyr Rick, Sinner Rick, Forsaken Rick, Spiteful Rick

My favorite is Staring Vacantly With Open Mouth and Watery Red Eyes Rick

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

How far along is she supposed to be?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
All Abraham had was a cigar when he died :haw::hf::smith:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

My favorite is Staring Vacantly With Open Mouth and Watery Red Eyes Rick

Isn't that just Normal Rick?

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

All Abraham had was a cigar when he died :haw::hf::smith:

I remember he got more than that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This jerk isn't going to last long I bet

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Gregory is such a piece of poo poo, haha.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Plausable deniability reminds me of ID4

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
"Hello, I'm Mayor McJerkstein! I'll definitely be dying horribly in order to delight the audience later this season!"

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Thank god for tactical zombie apocalypse skinny jeans.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Gregory, plausible deniability isn't what you're doing. It's you sitting in your office and pretending you don't know about Maggie and Sasha

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I love how they send out scouts and scavengers on the daily but nobody knows how many saviors there are

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Man, Carl has lovely depth perception for some reason

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

God dammit Coral, get a haircut.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Have to figure some things out. Like how to shoot a rifle not-terribly

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

"I can't lead, I'm just Jesus"

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
So many people with ridiculous hair on this show.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Jesus should be the one to scavenge. Dude could take one fish and turn it into a couple hundred.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Hi honey. Need a lift?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Guess we know what parent Carl takes after.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Carl is an ok driver for a 12 year old

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

bobjr posted:

Guess we know what parent Carl takes after.

:wow:

So do these Hilltop people not set guards and also does the entire population sleep like rocks, because dragging open the gates and putting together giant piles of flammable poo poo seems like it would probably make quite a bit of noise.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

:lol: at Jesus' Jet Li kick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That wallrun kick needs to be a gif stat.