Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I dropped Yoshimo for Jan early on in BG2: EE, and when I got back to the Copper Coronet in Chapter 6, he just drops dead. I imagine that must be perplexing for people who don't know that Yoshimo betrays you.

\/\/ EDIT: Oh, I see. I didn't realize that was why.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That's normal. If you don't bring him with you the geas kills him off screen.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but I dropped Yoshimo for Jan early on in BG2: EE, and when I got back to the Copper Coronet in Chapter 6, he just drops dead. I imagine that must be perplexing for people who don't know that Yoshimo betrays you, but I find it funny that there's not really any kind of additional fight or plot bit to remove him from the rest of the game.

Yoshimo spoilers. It's intentional, as you thought. If you don't bring him to Spellhold he fails his geas and dies as a result.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

I'll be honest, Yoshimo was barely useful to me.

his traps are pretty nice but he doesn't have anything a normal bounty hunter wouldn't. even his unique equipment is just +1.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Single-class thieves are really bad at that point in the levelling curve. Even Hexxat's giant suite of special-snowflake buffs doesn't pull her out of the mediocre bin.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Single-class thieves are really bad at that point in the levelling curve. Even Hexxat's giant suite of special-snowflake buffs doesn't pull her out of the mediocre bin.

Hexxat has amazing lock picking...but her character seems among the worst of all NPCs in the game. Is there anything interesting about her?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Hexxat has amazing lock picking...but her character seems among the worst of all NPCs in the game. Is there anything interesting about her?

I'm guessing you haven't done her personal quest yet. She's a vampire, and so is immune to poison and level drain and a bunch of stuff, as well as having bullshit high stats, but she's just hamstrung by her lousy class. Not enough attacks per round, can't take high weapon proficiencies, no spells, no wands, etc. It's not like she can't be used or anything, if you really want to you can solo the game with a single-class thief, but she just can't compare to the other NPCs. Jan, Imoen, and even Nalia with the occaisonal potion can handle all the locks and traps in the game as is, and can throw out high-powered magic when they're not doing that.

She's also cartoonishly evil and will get in a fight with a bunch of good-aligned NPCs, including Aerie and Keldorn, arguably the two most powerful NPCs in the game.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Thieves also have the second worst THAC0, worst saving throws, and second worst HP progression paired with second worst armor access and no defensive abilities before HLAs. In exchange they get non-combat skills, pseudo-True Sight (not even that important without mods) and one good attack as long as they can hide.
It's pretty telling that even Hexxat can't make up for all that.

If you want a leveling Thief in BG2 to eventually get the class HLAs multi-classes are the way to go.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 11, 2016

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So Aerie leveled up and I was able to have her memorize her first 6th level cleric spell (false dawn). I was able to successfully memorize it...but it doesn't show up on my quick bar. I'm not sure why. Is there a limit on the spells I can have on my quick bar?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Did you rest? Have you tried scrolling the spell bar to the right by clicking the arrow on the bottom right?

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I figured out the issue - it was at the end of my cleric spells, and I kept looking for it among the last of my mage spells. Thank you!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

It's almost ironman time of year and I am going to finish it this year no matter what I promise myself. Last year I was a level 20+ character solo and died to some shadows outside the shadow temple when I got stun locked. God drat dual class berserker mage with epic level spells and I died to shadows. I felt like poo poo. Maybe don't play solo when I'm already almost to the xp cap anyway.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I got something worse than a kitless fighter with 10 in every stat lined up for this year.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kitless thief? Shaman?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Maybe I'll have another go through with a solo jester, I don't remember how far through I got with that anymore

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

NWN2 isn't an Infinity game but this thread seems the most suitable for this question:

I've started NWN2 twice now since release and both times I've gotten bogged down in the first city you end up in. I've almost certainly lost the save games from both attempts. I tried googling around but is there a tool I can use to edit a new save game so that I can skip the early parts of a new game? Or would I be better off starting in MotB and just playing that, since that's the part everyone seems to love? How much will the story in MotB suffer from that?

Or would there be a way to thread the needle, a cheat engine like thing that lets me just point at enemies and make them blow up so I can fly through the OC?

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 13, 2016

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Antti posted:

NWN2 isn't an Infinity game but this thread seems the most suitable for this question:

I've started NWN2 twice now since release and both times I've gotten bogged down in the first city you end up in. I've almost certainly lost the save games from both attempts. I tried googling around but is there a tool I can use to edit a new save game so that I can skip the early parts of a new game? Or would I be better off starting in MotB and just playing that, since that's the part everyone seems to love? How much will the story in MotB suffer from that?

Or would there be a way to thread the needle, a cheat engine like thing that lets me just point at enemies and make them blow up so I can fly through the OC?

From what I remember, you can enable debug mode and then use that to skip around and instantly kill people
Press ~ and then type DebugMode 1
then you can hit numpad + to teleport to where your mouse is pointing, and press y over an enemy to instantly kill them, the y command also works on chest and doors iirc

EDIT: my memory might be confusing it for nwn1 though so take it for what it is worth
dm_god turns on invincibility too, so you could just do that and kinda just wait out combat while your immortals murder everyone

Ysengrin fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 13, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Ah yes, Ironman season will be upon us soon, won't it? I'll participate, but someone else will have to post and update the OP this time.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I'll do it.

Now I just need to get around to installing the usual mods. Always the most boring part.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 15, 2016

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
I'm very excited to try to finish an SCS trilogy ironman with a wild mage.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Big Sean posted:

I'm very excited to repeatedly start over an SCS trilogy ironman with a wild mage.

Fixed that for you - no need to thank me.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Antti posted:

MotB pays basically no attention whatsoever to the OC and you can make a new high level character to start it. In fact, I actually recommend doing so instead traipsing around caves for hours.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

jBrereton posted:

MotB pays basically no attention whatsoever to the OC and you can make a new high level character to start it. In fact, I actually recommend doing so instead traipsing around caves for hours.

It was fun to do the OC once you get past that first city imo, but that first part of the game seems like 40 hours just by itself. I've tried to replay the OC a couple of times and it's just not worth your playtime.

MOTB is amazing but I always install the buff staff mod and the free energy mod so that you can do one click buffing and once click energy restore because those parts of the game are super annoying. If you get stuck in the puzzle palace later on there are ways to skip past that as well because frankly that part of the game is not worth doing either.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

Fixed that for you - no need to thank me.

Thanks!

But, I think I can do it. Admittedly my first and only try fell pretty early in bg1 to some hobgoblins with bows when I wasn't paying attention.

I think it is doable by using wands only until charname can safely be protected from all the surge effects.

I don't think it is too much harder than charname single class mage build. Which is admittedly hard due to low hp, among other reasons.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Thank you for the replies, I'm gonna dive straight into MOTB.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wanted to ask a couple questions before I (re)purchased BG1 and 2. Disclaimer: I have read the OP, and did some google searching.

Initially I did not want to buy the Enhanced Editions, because I wanted to use Baldur's Gate Trilogy, as well as a few of the addons like Unfinished Business for BG1 and Ascension for BG2. However, to my surprise, they supposedly have versions of those for the EEs. Can anyone testify to those working? If so, I'll make the purchase. Thanks.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Ascension for BG2EE is in beta and I haven't tried it. UB is also still a beta I think; it worked fine for me.
Most mods I can think of have EE versions by now but it's always a question of the modders actually porting it over so some that have been abandoned years ago will possibly never get EE versions.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
God the low hp of a single class mage is just crushing me. My second wild mage died in about 1 second on a hobgoblin ambush, even though he drank a potion of invisibility near the end of that 1 second.

Level 4 with 19 hp and 3 AC. I believe he was targeted by ~4 hobgoblins with longbows.

No helmet makes it even worse.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Big Sean posted:

God the low hp of a single class mage is just crushing me. My second wild mage died in about 1 second on a hobgoblin ambush, even though he drank a potion of invisibility near the end of that 1 second.

Level 4 with 19 hp and 3 AC. I believe he was targeted by ~4 hobgoblins with longbows.

No helmet makes it even worse.

Why were any of those hobgoblins awake?

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Why were any of those hobgoblins awake?

Ambush on map change. The 1 second was starting from map generation. Otherwise, yeah I agree a strong counter to hobgoblins.

That said, I am also running semi-mageless until Imoen duals at level 5. But I did have the sleep wand.

I think what I could do is to change party formation so charname doesn't spawn on the edge to be targeted in ambushes.

And just suck it up and pre-emptively drink a potion of invisibility if he gets targeted by enough (or powerful enough) ranged attackers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you can make it to level 3 and get 2nd level spells you can cast invisibility before doing any travelling and as long as your travel time is under 24 hours you'll still be invisible on arrival and for any and all ambushes. It won't save your party from ambushes (unless you're going solo and it doesn't matter), but at least it'll save your ironman run.

As for GETTING to level 3, man good luck! There's easy xp around if you know where to look, but the bigger your party the harder it is to get past the level 1 hump.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

If you can make it to level 3 and get 2nd level spells you can cast invisibility before doing any travelling and as long as your travel time is under 24 hours you'll still be invisible on arrival and for any and all ambushes. It won't save your party from ambushes (unless you're going solo and it doesn't matter), but at least it'll save your ironman run.

As for GETTING to level 3, man good luck! There's easy xp around if you know where to look, but the bigger your party the harder it is to get past the level 1 hump.

This is seriously the best advice for anyone planning a solo Ironman.

Unrelated, but I'm recommending that the Ironman this year include an award for anyone planning SOD blind, since it's relatively new.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

bike tory posted:

Unrelated, but I'm recommending that the Ironman this year include an award for anyone planning SOD blind, since it's relatively new.

I'm cool with this since I haven't bothered with SoD yet. Too bad you can only attempt it once, though.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

bike tory posted:

This is seriously the best advice for anyone planning a solo Ironman.

I'll add it to the OP. If someone could think of a name, that would be awesome. I'm terrible at it myself.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Must I be interrupted at every turn?! - Baldur's Gate Ironman Thread

For the award I'd suggest Blind Faith.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The pain will only be passing - Baldur's Gate Ironman 2017

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
I like Blind Faith, I'll use that.

Last years thread was posted on December 31st, so I'll most likely make the thread then.

Edit. That being said, I'm still open for more title suggestions.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 22, 2016

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I'm not sure but I think you should start it either earlier, or later. Right in the middle of the holidays might only draw a handful of participants.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Started a character, started looting Candlekeep for money to buy a splint mail. Pissed off a guard, got free platemail. Guess I'll spend the next 5 hours digging my rep out of this hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

So, I can't seem to split stacks at the moment. Neither double-clicking or shift-clicking seems to work. Even did a full re-install, same problem. BG:EE, no mods. Anyone have any ideas?