Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

also why on earth hasn't after the end fixed the investure woes of the canadians

Nothing can. :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
wondering if i should upgrade my computer. how long should it take for a year to pass in observer mode after a couple of centuries of gametime?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I've been getting back into this and I've got a question.

Never really played the Old Gods/Charlemagne starts much before. I noticed your holdings start out with jack and poo poo in terms of build up. Is there any advice one what kind stuff I should be building up and when? Should I not bother to develop a province much if I'm planning on shifting my capital in a generation of so (knock on wood).

Its funny, I've played this game off and on for years, but my knowledge beyond the British isles and playing Wales and Ireland are pretty limited. Right now I'm challenging myself and playing as the Count of Rosello in southern France with the goal of creating Barcelona. After over a decade the only progress I've made was annexing Carcassone.

My Goal of seizing Barcelona is made harder by the realization I can't just holy war the local Emir for a single county or dutchy or whatever, no I'd have to declare holy war on the entire Fatimids for the De Jure Dutchy, which I of course have no power to do unless the rest of Francia decides to back me up for whatever reason (not a gamble I'm willing to take).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 20, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

tuyop posted:

Nothing can. :canada:
Is it seriously that hosed by making the religion feminist? I thought it was just a problem with them setting succession to open but not papal elective?

But, if thatīs the problem, why is it also a problem for the High Church? And the Unified one?

Goddammit, I just wanted to make Canadian Christianity the dominant religion in the world when the HCF fucks up and Evangelical turns to poo poo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I've been getting back into this and I've got a question.

Never really played the Old Gods/Charlemagne starts much before. I noticed your holdings start out with jack and poo poo in terms of build up. Is there any advice one what kind stuff I should be building up and when? Should I not bother to develop a province much if I'm planning on shifting my capital in a generation of so (knock on wood).

Its funny, I've played this game off and on for years, but my knowledge beyond the British isles and playing Wales and Ireland are pretty limited. Right now I'm challenging myself and playing as the Count of Rosello in southern France with the goal of creating Barcelona. After over a decade the only progress I've made was annexing Carcassone.

My Goal of seizing Barcelona is made harder by the realization I can't just holy war the local Emir for a single county or dutchy or whatever, no I'd have to declare holy war on the entire Fatimids for the De Jure Dutchy, which I of course have no power to do unless the rest of Francia decides to back me up for whatever reason (not a gamble I'm willing to take).
Castle Towns -> Walls then Troops. The price of building a building though could be spent on mercs to take another guys province, so really you should always be expanding rather than building until you reach your reasonable demesne limit

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Also yeah don't bother developing a province unless you know you're going to hold onto it for a long time. I also like to pick where I will put my capital, save up my money/tech points, then beeline for it. Dunno how optimal that is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Castle Towns -> Walls then Troops. The price of building a building though could be spent on mercs to take another guys province, so really you should always be expanding rather than building until you reach your reasonable demesne limit

Sadly my expansion is completely checked. My chancellor has done poo poo all for almost two decades despite a 14% fabrication chance and hopes of holy warring my way into Iberia are impossible given the strengths of the Fatimids and the fact I can't even muster 1000 men. I tried to do some light marriage shopping, but even with two sons and three daughters dudes still want their youngest daughter matrilinealy married.

I'm not sure what else I can do besides sit here and wait for my chancellor to finally produce something or the Fatimids to utterly implode. I've looked into stabbing the Sultan but no luck there. So I reluctantly shifted my chancellor's useless fabrication attempts from inside Francia to Barcelona.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

How did the Fatimids take over Iberia.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whoops. Ummayids! The scary green clown car.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Your only real hope is to save up a shitload of money for mercenaries, then wait for some kind of major revolt inside the Ummayad that will enable you to holy war for the duchy while they are occupied with something else. Occasionally when the rebellious emir event for Charlemagne fires, the emir lasts long enough for Charlemagne to bring the weight of his empire down on Muslim Spain. Maybe you could potentially do something then. Rosello is a pretty lovely start, and it's real difficult to get off the ground in a lot of lovely starts with the more recent patches to the game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah pretty much what I figured. And what little progress I've made will diminish on succession when gavelkind loses me Carcassonne.

I picked Rosello because Rodericho was the founder of the House of Barcelona and I wanted to they hand at being a vassal count and working my way up.

Are there any other interesting and perhaps slightly easier ciunts I could try? I don't want it to be a total cakewalk though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Soup du Journey posted:

wondering if i should upgrade my computer. how long should it take for a year to pass in observer mode after a couple of centuries of gametime?

If your computer's not a monster, it'll be around a half second per day after a few hundred years, so ~3 minutes for a year. It actually was a lot worse than that before the Reaper's Due patch.

e: And if your computer is 4 years old and was merely respectable for its own time, it'll take 10 minutes per year or more, probably

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

At the Charlemagne start Amalfi and Venice are one county merchant republics, with no trade zones or anything really. So you could build an empire from scratch with either of those. Playing as a viking is interesting from the early start. You can't raid for a while, and are basically guaranteed to get swallowed up by somebody else. As long as they are a Petty King and not another count, you'll be fine, otherwise it's a game over. I've never tried it, but I've always wanted to create a viking merchant republic, and I think it's definitely doable from a count start. If there is a count in southern Egypt would probably be a good start as well. You are part of the Abbassid empire, but can easily expand southwards into Nubia and Abyssinia, then turn around and attack your former Egyptian lords and form the Abyssinian Empire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Never really played a Merchant Republic before. I have played a few Ironman games as Oysteinn in Oppland. Those games usually went well until my attempts at creating Ostlandet ran afoul of one of the major powers in the area (or the external distraction of another game).

Merchant republics seem intimidating, same with playing as an Islamic ruler.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
One of the counts in Armenia, the arranshahik I think, his dad is a duke and he eventually inherits, that's an easy early game promotion but then you're in one of the most hotly contested areas in the world and stuck between byz and abbasids

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Merchant republics are just sort of weird in exchange for buckets and buckets of cash. In a game where cash really does rule everything around you, its a net benefit if you can stand the oddities. The worst parts are you kind of turn off some of the more interesting bits of the feudal system. Dynasty women are reduced to treaties and treaties alone without pushing for reform, some key tyrannic choices are completely blocked off, and you can't usurp kingdoms or empires. They put the brakes on several aspects trying to balance them but they are probably still one of the best map painters up to and including starting as a count without feeling like you are starting as a count.

Zoroastrian games usually start as vassals and might be a happy ground between totally new and doing the same old Christian count grind?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
just play as charlemagne and enjoy the story

failing that, go for the double count in charge of the Francian part of Brittanny, aim to get all of that then another duchy to form the Kingdom of Brittanny

The Invadin' vikings in England during the Viking age are also baller

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

You're often better off playing a count that is deep inside a nation rather than on the border, especially in the Charlemagne start. As a vassal count in a large kingdom in this scenario you should rarely look outward for expansion - everybody's a big blob. Instead, look for weak dudes inside your kingdom and fabricate claims on them to build up enough strength to do other stuff.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

also why on earth hasn't after the end fixed the investure woes of the canadians

I told someone to fix it, it's out of my hands now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I finally thought I might actually have a chance at doing something, I managed to get Narbonne and was up to over a thousand men, got money saved for mercenaries... then the Vikings decide to invade Aquitaine and for some reason that involves sieging down all my holdings (nevermind I'm Middle Francia).

All my troops, my prosperity. :negative: Oh well, a desperate holy war probably would've failed anyways.

[edit] what the gently caress! It said Aquitane.... oh gently caress it meant the de jure region not the country... greaaat. That Nordic gently caress stole my other two counties. I don't even have claims on them now. :argh:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 21, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
It's probably a prepared invasion, and since your lands are in de jure Aquitane, now you have a bunch of angry norsemen coming to take all your poo poo. Have fun with that.

e; fb

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Skellybones posted:

I told someone to fix it, it's out of my hands now.
like. it has so much promise

rather than just marrying daughters for claims or alliances, you can pope them up

constantly seduce the pope for claims and cash

if they hadn't fixed the "kids of a pope get a claim on the papacy" you could even use it to create vassal popesses that way

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Crusader Kings II: constantly seduce the pope for claims and cash

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sigurdr made the questionable decision of giving me a second county (one I had a claim on) when I asked and then eventually transferred me to the Jarl of Oppland. A clever move as that means I can't fabricate and press claims on my old counties because they're not part of my new Liege's territory. However the Jarl of Oppland is far away and only possesses one other vassal county in Aquitaine besides myself. Once my forces recover in a couple years, I'll have about 50% of his troop strength and I still have the money for mercenaries.

I'm hoping I can just declare independence, sit tight on my territory, and if he shows up just hire some mercenaries to defeat him. In an independence war, I start obtaining positive warscore so long as I hold my counties right? I won't need to go all the way to Norge? Not sure if it'll work though, and have no loving clue what to do even if I succeed. A two county minor can't survive alone so I'll probably have to swear fealty to Lombary or Aquitaine (the nation), or maybe Western or Middle Francia.

Doesn't help my guy is 54 now and probably don't have more than a decade or two at most left. Then again, he's pretty fit (brawny), so maybe he'll last longer than I think. Could always switch from War to Hunting for an extra health boost without losing too much martial.

Either way, I refuse to suffer the yoke of a pagan, foreign "crown". :argh:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sigurdr made the questionable decision of giving me a second county (one I had a claim on) when I asked and then eventually transferred me to the Jarl of Oppland. A clever move as that means I can't fabricate and press claims on my old counties because they're not part of my new Liege's territory. However the Jarl of Oppland is far away and only possesses one other vassal county in Aquitaine besides myself. Once my forces recover in a couple years, I'll have about 50% of his troop strength and I still have the money for mercenaries.

I'm hoping I can just declare independence, sit tight on my territory, and if he shows up just hire some mercenaries to defeat him. In an independence war, I start obtaining positive warscore so long as I hold my counties right? I won't need to go all the way to Norge? Not sure if it'll work though, and have no loving clue what to do even if I succeed. A two county minor can't survive alone so I'll probably have to swear fealty to Lombary or Aquitaine (the nation), or maybe Western or Middle Francia.

Doesn't help my guy is 54 now and probably don't have more than a decade or two at most left. Then again, he's pretty fit (brawny), so maybe he'll last longer than I think. Could always switch from War to Hunting for an extra health boost without losing too much martial.

Either way, I refuse to suffer the yoke of a pagan, foreign "crown". :argh:
When you go independent the first time I'm pretty sure you just go independent of your direct liege, not the king himself.

Also don't go Christian again, instead swear fealty to the Sunnis and join the winning side, then holy war the norse invaders once you gain a few alliances with those 3 more wives you get

I can foresee no possible way this might backfire

ORRRR

Join the Norsemen, save up and prepare an invasion of your own~

All the bad things that happened to you, you can then inflict upon others Did you know that if the papacy gets at least one other county than their starting one, they count as a kingdom worthy of invasion?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 21, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, I don't get total independence? poo poo. If I just get independent of the Jarl of Oppland, nothing is stopping the Nord King from just transfering my vassalization right back to him.

Also, I'm a zealot, like hell I'm joining the Muslims. RP character traits or go home. :colbert:

[edit] Holy crap, since when does the "New Administration" modifier take 25 years to go away?!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 21, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, I don't get total independence? poo poo. If I just get independent of the Jarl of Oppland, nothing is stopping the Nord King from just transfering my vassalization right back to him.

Also, I'm a zealot, like hell I'm joining the Muslims. RP character traits or go home. :colbert:

[edit] Holy crap, since when does the "New Administration" modifier take 25 years to go away?!
Since you were a different religion and culture from the province. It's going to take them a while to accept your rule.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I guess, but its quesitonable in this case because it was under direct Nordic control for only a few months before being handed back to me, a Christian Feudalist. :v: Oh well.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I'm playing this game seriously for the first time since I got it. I started in Ireland in 1066 per newbie advice, and it's currently 1295. The current leader of my dynasty is the black Irish Emperor of Britannia (Alba), King of Aragon, Duke of Sardinia and Tunis, crusader genius. My armies are bigger than France, and on even footing with the Holy Roman Empire. Half of my Christian and Muslim neighbors have united against me in a defensive pact.

His grandfather had a horse for a chancellor.

This loving game.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 21, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gave up on the Rosello game after a failed war. Started a new one in 769 as the count of Wurttemburg. My Intrigue Focus let me expose and arrest my childless Baron, who was promptly thrown in the Oubliette to die. Got a lucky early claim fabrication on Baden and took it. Just before I finished that siege my chancellor knocks it out of the park and also forges a claim on Breisgau and my baron dies, leaving me the second barony in my capital county. I take Baden and even before I can attempt the same thing on the childless Baron there, he dies of severe stress leaving me in direct control of four baronies.

I launch a war for Breisgau but no sooner have I crushed the enemy arm than my Liege, the Duke of Alemannia calls for realm peace. No way I'm gonna siege down the territory in time. So I borrow 300 gold from the Jewery, hire 1500 mercenaries and rapidly assault the entire county down with only a couple weeks to spare. I'm now in control of three counties and within them five baronies. Once replenished I'll have ~1500 troops at my disposal, my Liege will have ~1300 (and only 700 aren't liege levies). At first I begin plotting an independence war so I can form the Dutchy of Baden, but then the Duke of Alemannia does the dumbest thing he could possibly do... He makes me Spymaster.

Now I've noticed that I have an intrigue option to fabricate a claim on the huge Dutchy of Alemannia, even without anyone joining the plot power will start at 250 thanks to my being Spymaster. Guess I'm taking over the Dutchy once my troops are replenished. Also my money, since I quickly repaid the Jews.

Only problem is I have no kids. To fix this I've switched to Seduction and selected the Groom an Heir Ambition, but two years later still nothing. If my wife doesn't start providing an Heir soon, I might have to just start working on some bastards (No way I'm getting permission for a divorce). Can women secretly be baren? This seems really odd.

Also, smallpox is approaching I guess I should seal up the castle? I dunno, never dealt with disease before. No heir, disease approaching, and this is an Ironman game too... :ohdear:

[edit] Oh, and Karl died in some pointless tributary war battle, meaning Karloman now rules all of Francia. Can't wait for this poo poo to probably implode when he dies so I can try to go independent.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 21, 2016

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I guess, but its quesitonable in this case because it was under direct Nordic control for only a few months before being handed back to me, a Christian Feudalist. :v: Oh well.

It got the 25 year penalty after being conquered by Norse pagans. Giving it to you has nothing to do with it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Never really played a Merchant Republic before. I have played a few Ironman games as Oysteinn in Oppland. Those games usually went well until my attempts at creating Ostlandet ran afoul of one of the major powers in the area (or the external distraction of another game).

Merchant republics seem intimidating, same with playing as an Islamic ruler.

Republics are one of those things where there's a lot to learn to play them as efficiently as you can, but you don't really need to know much to be good. If you just build up your palace and warehouse, build trade posts wherever, have as many sons as possible, and go hard on raising your military organization tech, you're going to do fine. Then it's just a matter of learning from your mistakes and picking up the little details as you go.

Simplex posted:

At the Charlemagne start Amalfi and Venice are one county merchant republics, with no trade zones or anything really. So you could build an empire from scratch with either of those. Playing as a viking is interesting from the early start. You can't raid for a while, and are basically guaranteed to get swallowed up by somebody else. As long as they are a Petty King and not another count, you'll be fine, otherwise it's a game over. I've never tried it, but I've always wanted to create a viking merchant republic, and I think it's definitely doable from a count start. If there is a count in southern Egypt would probably be a good start as well. You are part of the Abbassid empire, but can easily expand southwards into Nubia and Abyssinia, then turn around and attack your former Egyptian lords and form the Abyssinian Empire.

Playing as a count in Scandinavia isn't that difficult. The only way you are screwed is if you roll a character with a really low martial. So long as it's decent, you park your marshal on your county to raise levies, take the become king ambition, and then you have a subjugation CB on everyone in your entire de jure kingdom. Since you will be a count, when you subjugate another count, you gain control of their county rather than vassalizing it, so you can become a force pretty quickly. And yeah, viking merchant republics are OP as hell, especially if you culture convert to Hungarian or Altaic to gain access to tribal invasion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Gave up on the Rosello game after a failed war. Started a new one in 769 as the count of Wurttemburg. My Intrigue Focus let me expose and arrest my childless Baron, who was promptly thrown in the Oubliette to die. Got a lucky early claim fabrication on Baden and took it. Just before I finished that siege my chancellor knocks it out of the park and also forges a claim on Breisgau and my baron dies, leaving me the second barony in my capital county. I take Baden and even before I can attempt the same thing on the childless Baron there, he dies of severe stress leaving me in direct control of four baronies.

I launch a war for Breisgau but no sooner have I crushed the enemy arm than my Liege, the Duke of Alemannia calls for realm peace. No way I'm gonna siege down the territory in time. So I borrow 300 gold from the Jewery, hire 1500 mercenaries and rapidly assault the entire county down with only a couple weeks to spare. I'm now in control of three counties and within them five baronies. Once replenished I'll have ~1500 troops at my disposal, my Liege will have ~1300 (and only 700 aren't liege levies). At first I begin plotting an independence war so I can form the Dutchy of Baden, but then the Duke of Alemannia does the dumbest thing he could possibly do... He makes me Spymaster.

Now I've noticed that I have an intrigue option to fabricate a claim on the huge Dutchy of Alemannia, even without anyone joining the plot power will start at 250 thanks to my being Spymaster. Guess I'm taking over the Dutchy once my troops are replenished. Also my money, since I quickly repaid the Jews.

Only problem is I have no kids. To fix this I've switched to Seduction and selected the Groom an Heir Ambition, but two years later still nothing. If my wife doesn't start providing an Heir soon, I might have to just start working on some bastards (No way I'm getting permission for a divorce). Can women secretly be baren? This seems really odd.

Also, smallpox is approaching I guess I should seal up the castle? I dunno, never dealt with disease before. No heir, disease approaching, and this is an Ironman game too... :ohdear:

[edit] Oh, and Karl died in some pointless tributary war battle, meaning Karloman now rules all of Francia. Can't wait for this poo poo to probably implode when he dies so I can try to go independent.
Seduction is targeted thing, are you actively boning ladies?

And yeah, closing the castle if you aren't absolutely sure about your court doctah is an ok thing to do. I never do it personally but ehhh

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Today's DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-31-back-to-work.983841

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That council consideration change is fantastic.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Seduction is targeted thing, are you actively boning ladies?

And yeah, closing the castle if you aren't absolutely sure about your court doctah is an ok thing to do. I never do it personally but ehhh
You can actively seduce ladies, but even if you aren't, it gives a +25% fertility which (should) combine with the +20% fertility from grooming an heir to produce a son right now.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

You can actively seduce ladies, but even if you aren't, it gives a +25% fertility which (should) combine with the +20% fertility from grooming an heir to produce a son right now.
Family is better if you're doing it passively though, because of the health bonus.

Though I always pick seduction, then just go down the list of ladies that are eligible until one says yeah, then Veni, Vedi Vici a few times, then move on to the next.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Neat. Does the tooltip for the province conversion boost describe how province conversion works?
I see a lot of questions how culture conversion works, and there was that famous Horse Lord game where they stayed tribal most of the game because they didn't know that culture conversion could work on islands without the tribal resettlement decision.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
a childhood focus?

right, yeah, a childhood focus. i mean why wouldn't you get a childhood focus. you'll need that education for when you're all grow.... excuse me for a second would you

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so i picked this up again, started a new game, and i noticed im not getting notifications for when my wife gives birth anymore (so i cant name the kid or even realize that he showed up). did something change in the base game, or do i have some mod conflict?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ignoring your clans is great until your ruler dies, all your clans break free, and you get immediate massive revolts everywhere.

• Locked thread