Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Im the derpy polar bears. :3:

Tsar Boris :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

oh hmm i should probably post my steam ID eh?

steamcommunity.com/id/thechickenwing fite me

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Panfilo posted:

Are Bugmans rangers worth the increased cost?

I like them as a late game upgrade over Rangers for Belegar, but I run with just regular rangers until I'm making tons of cash.

quote:

It recently occurred to me that you could stack a decent amount of speed on rangers through research and engineer skills, and get a lot of mileage out of putting them in skirmish mode.

You can get them up to 45 but Bugman's get the same bonuses. They're pretty good at skirmishing but I tend to prefer them just sitting behind a wall of Warriors/Ironbreakers and shooting nonstop because of how quickly they can just absolutely melt stuff.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

They could shovel out DLC with just a LL, and a few new units and achievements for each faction in the game and I would buy every single one.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Random segue but I recently discovered that Pontus is like a running gag/meme across the Total War community. Why was the inclusion of Pontus being in Rome Total War 2 so berated across the web?

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 21, 2016

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Welp, that's a winged hussar riding a polar bear, all right. If he doesn't have a bionic eye that shoots lasers I just don't know what the gently caress.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In the leadup to Rome II we knew there would be a certain number of factions at launch (9?). IIRC Pontus was the last one to be announced, which surprised almost everyone, as we just assumed it would be the larger and more-important Seleucids. Someone made a cartoon about it which really caught on.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Krazyface posted:

In the leadup to Rome II we knew there would be a certain number of factions at launch (9?). IIRC Pontus was the last one to be announced, which surprised almost everyone, as we just assumed it would be the larger and more-important Seleucids. Someone made a cartoon about it which really caught on.

The whole point of the cartoon was that you could still play as the seleuicids

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

theDOWmustflow posted:

Random segway but I recently discovered that Pontus is like a running gag/meme across the Total War community. Why was the inclusion of Pontus being in Rome Total War 2 so berated across the web?

TWCentre is a shithole with the kind of dickheads who threw tantrums about women being included in Rome 2, made mods to make them weaker:biotruths: and generally behave like entitled little shits with a third graders understanding of history and how actually, heh, those javelins are slightly too long, boy, I hope the modeller got fired for that mistake, let me link you five pages of wordvomit about how javelins back then really looked.

Pontus being in the game was wrong and bad and ruined their preorders.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I think it is surprising that the Dwarves are one of the few factions to not get a 'rebel' variant. If you are Empire you get Separatists or whatever, and corruption will spawn Vampires or Chaos.

With Orc/Dwarf settlements though, its always Orc rebels regardless of who controls them. It would be more interesting if, when playing Orcs, rebellions were Dwarf reclaimers- come to retake their holds. Given that most of the territory out there originally belonged to the Dwarves in the first place, it would make sense that during periods of unrest for Orc tribes opportunistic Dwarves might try and slip their way in to take the place back.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I always liked pontus but rome 2 was still pretty lovely. The whole thing where they made greek spears defensive really sucked. Made 1/3 of the factions completely boring to play. When I threw in a realism mod it finally made it fun to play.

I really don't have any faith in creative to make a fun historical game because they really lack any sort of imagination to make a fun game system and lack the knowledge to make something true to history. Warhammer is great it is extremely varied unlike most fantasy settings and all the hard work in design and balancing has already been done so they don't need to do much outside of coding it all in. Great coders, terrible game designers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dtkozl posted:

I always liked pontus but rome 2 was still pretty lovely. The whole thing where they made greek spears defensive really sucked. Made 1/3 of the factions completely boring to play. When I threw in a realism mod it finally made it fun to play.

I really don't have any faith in creative to make a fun historical game because they really lack any sort of imagination to make a fun game system and lack the knowledge to make something true to history. Warhammer is great it is extremely varied unlike most fantasy settings and all the hard work in design and balancing has already been done so they don't need to do much outside of coding it all in. Great coders, terrible game designers.

... you do know the balance of the video game is completely a new and different thing than the tabletop rules right? Like literally everything mechanical about the game was made up by Creative Assembly because a tabletop wargame does not have rules for about 70% of the poo poo you do in this game. And the stuff that does is completely different because real time Total War style game is miles different than tabletop.

Also lol at anyone calling Warhammer Fantasy well balanced.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 21, 2016

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Zore posted:

... you do know the balance of the video game is completely a new and different thing than the tabletop rules right? Like literally everything mechanical about the game was made up by Creative Assembly because a tabletop wargame does not have rules for about 70% of the poo poo you do in this game. And the stuff that does is completely different because real time Total War style game is miles different than tabletop.

Also lol at anyone calling Warhammer Fantasy well balanced.

I would never claim it was balanced but all the ground work on how units are supposed to behave on the battlefield, the different niches they inhabit, all that poo poo was already done. Who beat who, armored vs high hit points, chaff vs elite, all that was already mapped out and all they had to do was translate that into their system. TWW is a much more dynamic and tactically interesting game compared to rome 2. I'm not just sitting here filling out my rosters with good swordsmen because they literally can only imagine things inside of a swords>spears>cav>swords matrix.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

theDOWmustflow posted:

Random segway

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necroskowitz posted:

You could pretty much give them a full roster based off their Warmaster Army.

Kislev as well. The Southern Realms could probably be done with the Dogs of War with certain regional bonuses to differentiate Estalia, Tilea, and the Border Princes.

is that a gattling gun on top of a camel?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

dtkozl posted:

I get dogpiled for saying Bretonnia are lame but this slides under everyone's radar?

CA's line has always been "If it's a choice between fun and historical accuracy, we'll always go with fun." lol if you think Total War isn't fun, what are you even doing in this thread?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

dtkozl posted:

Did you really just imply that anyone even CA is worse at balance than GW? GW the company routinely guilty of blatantly making new units horrendously over powered to promote selling more models, the company that literally destroyed this whole setting to replace it with a setting so bad that it would be laughed out of early Image Comics, the company whose game is so bad that even when they were still making it most people house ruled to the point that they weren't really playing the same game anymore.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think the suggestion that Warhammer Total War is just taking the tabletop and 'coding it all in' is an immensely hilarious idea.

EDIT: To be a bit more contentful, if you examine W:TW, I'd argue that it's actually about collapsing a bunch of previous TW games into a single game, unifying a bunch of historical settings. Roughly speaking, Dwarves got the heavy infantry antics from Rome, Chaos warriors are a grab bag of stuff from Attila, Empire is early Fall of the Samurai, Brettonia is Medieval:TW hammer and anvil with heavy cavalry...

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 21, 2016

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Fangz posted:

I think the suggestion that Warhammer Total War is just taking the tabletop and 'coding it all in' is an immensely hilarious idea.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=594982209

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Terrible Opinions posted:

Did you really just imply that anyone even CA is worse at balance than GW? GW the company routinely guilty of blatantly making new units horrendously over powered to promote selling more models, the company that literally destroyed this whole setting to replace it with a setting so bad that it would be laughed out of early Image Comics, the company whose game is so bad that even when they were still making it most people house ruled to the point that they weren't really playing the same game anymore.

People always say this but it's not really true. GW making things over or underpowered happened by complete accident, because none of the devs had a loving clue how anything worked.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Corrode posted:

People always say this but it's not really true. GW making things over or underpowered happened by complete accident, because none of the devs had a loving clue how anything worked.

idk, I remember a time when just about every new codex or army/edition update was a must have and ranked T1 by default because enough things within pooped on the existing meta, or just in general due to powercreep.

This whole "GW makes OP to sell" meme has roots in the truth.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

KazigluBey posted:

idk, I remember a time when just about every new codex or army/edition update was a must have and ranked T1 by default because enough things within pooped on the existing meta, or just in general due to powercreep.

Unless they were Greenskins for Fantasy or Orks for 40K.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mans posted:

I think it's supposed to be a normal jezzail or small cannon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

dtkozl posted:

I would never claim it was balanced but all the ground work on how units are supposed to behave on the battlefield, the different niches they inhabit, all that poo poo was already done. Who beat who, armored vs high hit points, chaff vs elite, all that was already mapped out and all they had to do was translate that into their system. TWW is a much more dynamic and tactically interesting game compared to rome 2. I'm not just sitting here filling out my rosters with good swordsmen because they literally can only imagine things inside of a swords>spears>cav>swords matrix.

All they had to do was translate broad vague ideas into actual concrete game mechanics guys bing bang boom! Ahahaha holy poo poo this post

TWW has only superficial similarities to tabletop and furthermore has to be designed around a strategic map game system that has no analogue in table top.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

KazigluBey posted:

Individual codices used to have the problem of power creep pretty often but it was rarely tied to selling models. GW are just spectacularly bad at game design. They'd routinely release a book and the models which dropped with it were shite in-game, whereas things that didn't have models were must-haves - like the 5th ed Tyranid book, where they didn't manage to release a Tervigon for years despite them being a must-have, and cast a million Pyrovores which were absolute dogshit. Same with Guard - they didn't manage to release the Hydra for years despite 6 of them being in a ton of spammy tournament armies. Usually they made something dull but cheap and efficient (e.g. Razorback spam in 5th ed Marine variant armies) and didn't realise how good it would be, while their cool new £40 models were functionally useless.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mans posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamburak

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Corrode posted:

I'm sure that the 5th edition Carnifex nerf and Trygon showing up to fill the very same spot was completely by accident.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Corrode posted:

This is literally the most wrong thing I've seen on the Internet

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Games Workshop are like George Lucas; nerds are convinced all their successes are accidental and their failures deliberate.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm sure that the 5th edition Carnifex nerf and Trygon showing up to fill the very same spot was completely by accident.

Trygons were poo poo mate, sorry. They looked good only because 5th ed Nids had terrible internal balance to go with the terrible external balance which made them one of the worst books in the edition. That was the same book where spore pods and Tervigons were good (no models), gargoyles were mediocre (new plastics) and Pyrovores were one of the worst units ever committed to paper (expensive new metals).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I've had tons of fun with literally every single Total War game, it's probably my favorite video game series at this point.

<3 you CA. :3:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Sorry I was talking about single player balance which obviously the TT game doesn't have. I was comparing TWW to rome 2 and the balance is much better in TWW. How each faction plays, how many different viable strategies there are on the battlefield, etc. TWW does a much better job at this. I'm not commenting on multiplayer.

I'll give an example, the giant vs the hoplite.

The giant obviously performs very much like the TT counterpart. It's role in the army, how it moves, who its good at killing, who is good at killing it, all of these things were already established in the TT rules and CA did a good job of recreating it in the game. Obviously they did more than just type in the TT points cost, move, wounds, weapons skill etc values but the broad design of the unit was already done for them.

For the hoplite CA decided to just make up their own system. Someone commented earlier that they chose fun over history, but that is complete bullshit. The history is so fuzzy with classical armies that there was never any straitjacket forced on them. Had they used history as a guide they would have had a solid base with which to play and could have opened up things within the faction. Instead we got a shitload of defensive spears that all looked and acted the same with slight variations and that is about it. Sure you could win with them, but you didn't have much fun doing it and the focus on defense was a straitjacket on the player since it severally constrained his options.

Historical mods make the hoplite armies fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A Cygor threw a big rock at a unit of Dwarf Warriors and I swear it seemed like that Boulder pulped half the dwarves in the squad :stare: those Cygors are no joke.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Panfilo posted:

A Cygor threw a big rock at a unit of Dwarf Warriors and I swear it seemed like that Boulder pulped half the dwarves in the squad :stare: those Cygors are no joke.

Cygors are fantastic, I love them. Giant range, decent accuracy, splatters dudes like it's nothing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

dtkozl posted:

Sorry I was talking about single player balance which obviously the TT game doesn't have. I was comparing TWW to rome 2 and the balance is much better in TWW. How each faction plays, how many different viable strategies there are on the battlefield, etc. TWW does a much better job at this. I'm not commenting on multiplayer.

I'll give an example, the giant vs the hoplite.

The giant obviously performs very much like the TT counterpart. It's role in the army, how it moves, who its good at killing, who is good at killing it, all of these things were already established in the TT rules and CA did a good job of recreating it in the game. Obviously they did more than just type in the TT points cost, move, wounds, weapons skill etc values but the broad design of the unit was already done for them.

The giant is basically a war elephant. I think these elements are really way less of a brilliant invention by the WH designers than you're suggesting.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 21, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Corrode posted:

Cygors are fantastic, I love them. Giant range, decent accuracy, splatters dudes like it's nothing.

Yeah they seem good against dwarves because normally I don't have a problem with Giants since dwarves have a lot of anti giant tools. But a giant that can fight back at range is pretty nasty.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

A later development (after 1850) would see Gatling guns mounted on camels as well.

:stare:

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
As a noob to both Total War (never played) and Warhammer (don't know jack), can I say how much fun I've been having playing this one. I've been learning via Let's Play videos and playing the Dwarf campaign. Is there a good source of information about gameplay/lore? I haven't really gotten much from what Wikis I've found.

Right now I just have 2 questions - can you ever field an army with units from different factions? And are all battles between two factions, or are there ever battlefields with more than 2 sides?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

meatsaw posted:

As a noob to both Total War (never played) and Warhammer (don't know jack), can I say how much fun I've been having playing this one. I've been learning via Let's Play videos and playing the Dwarf campaign. Is there a good source of information about gameplay/lore? I haven't really gotten much from what Wikis I've found.

Right now I just have 2 questions - can you ever field an army with units from different factions? And are all battles between two factions, or are there ever battlefields with more than 2 sides?

So far, you can't field a mixed faction army. The best you can get is to get in a situation where you or your enemy is allied with stacks from a different faction. You could thus get an Empire + Dwarf vs Chaos battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

On the subject of optimization, Total Warhammer has 137 regions, compared to the 186 in Attila, while each province in Attila also had more decision-making involved than the Warhammer provinces, due to the way that food, fertility, religion and maintenance costs interacted in that game. Not to mention that Attila was simply a game that didn't want to run well, so yeah, I guess we can expect turn times to be faster than Attila by the time the third game comes in, or at the very least to be comparable.

• Locked thread