Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
So the Hawk stand is notably absent at Warfare this weekend. Looks like they have decided to focus on other things and dropped the convention appearance.

On the plus side the tournament is going well so far, participation is up from the 12 player debut last year to a fully booked 18. We have been put in a squash court with lots of room around the tables, I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That sounds awesome! Let us know how it goes.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
New Dropfleet update just posted. Apparently down to ~550 pledges waiting to pack with another ~180 packed and ready to ship. Though I think I know why I might be waiting to the end. Apparently their shipping software poo poo the bed, so everything has had to be put in by hand. This apparently has created issues with some backers' addresses, and they've pushed these problem orders to the back of the line. I fully expect to have an email from them this week to clarify my address because shipping to Asia is hard. Which means I probably won't have my order before I move next week.

At least there's a solid number now. I can understand not giving numbers out before, but having a "ticket" is much more reassuring than not knowing where you stand in line.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
PHR cruisers are kind of a pain to glue together because the plastic is just flexible to misalign a little when you put the two hull halves together. I really wish I had some sort of very slow-drying glue.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Played a starter dropfleet game of UCM vs. Scourge this afternoon. One or two pics once I figure out how to upload pictures from my phone to the forum. (Painted UCM, Scourge are a mix of assembled but unpainted models and PHR dropzone dropships standing in for Scourge cruisers.)

It was fun! There's a lot to figure out as far as planning for ship movement, watching out for debris fields, and managing orders, but I was happy with how smoothly things went once we started to get rules figured out. Ground combat seems like it might be more fiddly than it ought to be, but that's alright.

I'll post thoughts on the game itself when we post pictures (though we forgot to do turn-by-turn pictures so it'll basically just be random story-time). But when evaluating light cruisers, we realized just how important the armor value difference is. It makes the 2 HP difference between light cruisers and cruisers, or the 4 HP difference for heavy cruisers, much bigger than it looks. A New Cairo has about half the EHP of a Berlin (16 vs. 30), and a little less than half the EHP of a Moscow or St. Petersburg (16 vs. 36).

Also, for those of you playing 1500 pt games on a 4x4 board, do things get really crowded really quickly? We felt a touch congested at ~500 points on a 4x4 board when we got into a fight over the objectives. Maybe that opens up when you have more objectives that are off the center line?

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
Played my first game with the 2 player set the other day. Its fun.

Fun lesson learned: don't bunch frigates up together, because catastrophic damage explosions chaining along and blowing up every frigate is a thing that happens.

I played as Scourge and got shot off the table. I think i need to use silent running in order to get up in the opponents face before opening fire.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

wdarkk posted:

PHR cruisers are kind of a pain to glue together because the plastic is just flexible to misalign a little when you put the two hull halves together. I really wish I had some sort of very slow-drying glue.

Are you using something other than plastic glue? Revell glue is plenty slow curing

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Frobbe posted:

Are you using something other than plastic glue? Revell glue is plenty slow curing

Superglue.

EDIT: Like 80% of the models I've assembled are things that plastic glue won't work on so I don't really bother with it normally.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yeah you really want to be using plastic glue with these kits. They go together fantastically well.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Got a 10kg box of plastic delivered this arv!!
Crazy that with all the issues they've had it arrived after five days (I'm in Aus, and old enough to remember the days of "sometime in the next month or so")

I should send them an email saying thanks. After their last update, they don't sound too happy. No way I'm going on facebook/kickstarter messages tho

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Arcturas posted:

Also, for those of you playing 1500 pt games on a 4x4 board, do things get really crowded really quickly? We felt a touch congested at ~500 points on a 4x4 board when we got into a fight over the objectives. Maybe that opens up when you have more objectives that are off the center line?

I did see a couple of posts about this on facebook the other day. Sounds like some people do feel that full sized games are better suited to 6x4 boards. I have not had a game yet though, maybe some of the deployment options alleviate this as groups trickle on over multiple turns?

Dr. Phildo posted:

Got a 10kg box of plastic delivered this arv!!
Crazy that with all the issues they've had it arrived after five days (I'm in Aus, and old enough to remember the days of "sometime in the next month or so")

I should send them an email saying thanks. After their last update, they don't sound too happy. No way I'm going on facebook/kickstarter messages tho

I expect morale is pretty drat low over at Hawk right now. They really, really did not want it to go like this and they are likely unhappy about it. Dropping out of attending Warfare was likely another bitter pill to swallow.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think Hawk have done a good job despite everything that's happened. That and KS backers are massively over reactionary babies.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I'm really happy to hear that the bulk of my stuff will be shipped soon. That's great news. I'm sad that Hawks morale has been so low; these are great products and they should be proud of what they've done.

More importantly, pictures! Featuring settlers tiles as light debris fields (water) and heavy debris fields (other stuff), Memoir 44 tiles as objectives, and dropzone dropships as proxies where needed. Please excuse the atrocious paint scheme on the New Orleans ships. It sucks but I am not redoing them.

UCM ships advance up the middle of the table to shoot the scourge invaders! My New Cairo was acting as a Berlin. It definitely gets MVP for me, killing the Ifrit in the first round of shooting to secure the center of the map, and finishing off a Wyvern in the mid-game to allow my strike carriers to secure the side objective that gave me the win. Burn through lasers are awesome, though I almost never wanted to go weapons free with my Berlin. I feel like standard or course change will almost always be better. (This also means I think New Cairos will usually be a better bet, survivability notwithstanding.)

You can see the whole fleet, with Star Wars miniature game ships standing in for launch assets. The wyvern there is a turn away from completely savaging my poor Moscow. The Wyvern, and Scourge close action weapons in general, definitely proved their worth for us. It's a brutal amount of shooting, and I nearly lost a heavy cruiser to a single round of Wyvern fire. I also was terribly ineffective with my fighters all game, and probably just should have bombed things all the time.

The battle line before everything blows up. Most ships were effective, but the Moscow was awful at shooting through debris fields and I didn't really leverage it at all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The product is fine, and I don't care about the delays, I'm just still a bit flat over getting stuck with two fleets I wasn't all that into. Guess I'll just have to have larger alternate fleets than I was anticipating, and buy more PHR and Shaltari at retail late next year.

Also I hope someone is going to work on race themed launch assets to be sold from Shapeways like people did with fighters for Star Wars Armada, because I also only just realised I forgot to add some of the proper ones to my pledge, and the Captain level apparently didn't come with any included.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Is anyone aware of a good, working dropfleet list creator yet? I vaguely remember one being posted here, but I cannot find it. Maybe it was just a dream? There have been a couple posted in the facebook/hawk forums, but they are either horribly broken or limited to UCM.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
http://dflist.com/ ?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dflist is really good. I hope Hawk steals it or starts officially supporting it, though I suppose they might get fussed over its use of full stat lines. (I really, really hope they don't let that stop them.)

Also, what are folks using for ground assets? Models from other games? Drop zone stuff?

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Thanks, it seems as though my phone just didn't like dflist earlier.

For ground assets I've been using DZC models. Infantry and tanks are obvious, and totems seem to make pretty good defense battery markers. They are maybe slightly too big, and tend to get moved a lot when there is a scuffle nearby.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arcturas posted:

Dflist is really good. I hope Hawk steals it or starts officially supporting it, though I suppose they might get fussed over its use of full stat lines. (I really, really hope they don't let that stop them.)

Also, what are folks using for ground assets? Models from other games? Drop zone stuff?
The crap rear end tokens in the box set.

I kinda want to design some Homeworld-style map tokens, like an NATO Mil symbols list, that would look cool but probably not the easiest thing to read.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Someone on the UK Dropfleet Facebook group was showing off prototype laser-cut plastic tokens. He said he'd start selling them soon.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Arcturas posted:

The stat lines should not be an issue, FFoR already gives you the ability to print off stat sheets for your army and Hawk are all for it. What it does not do is give you any rules to go with the stats, so I guess that is the line for Hawk.

As for ground assets the official acrylic tokens from Hawk are on their way, along with the other delayed bits like map sets and scourge station upgrades.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I think i like it, but i might throw it in the purple power...

Edit : it is growing on me. I think in a mass of ships it would look good.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 23, 2016

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That looks really nice, and would stand out well against a space/planet background. I tend to want a touch more color/contrast on my minis, but if you're going for a quasi-digital-camo-scheme that's solid. You could also wash the metallic components a little more depending on how it looks from table-height.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

dexefiend posted:

I really like this. I do agree about the metals though, maybe a touch darker on the wash?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Well if everyone's posting their WIPs... :v:

Im currently unsure about the exact colour of the dots. Tonight i plan to do the engines and their glow effects since i think theyll be pretty important for the overall impression, after that i can decide on the rest.

dexefiend posted:

I definitely think this has potential. My suggestions be darker metals as mentioned previously plus edge highlights on the armor. Drive cells and weapons should add a splash of colour.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Orange looks good man like I said on FB Messenger, stick with it. Yours is coming along sweet Dex, just up the contrast like people said. :)

I'll take some nifty photos when I get back from my work trip but I'm kinda happy with how my fleets turning out so far. :shobon:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Although it's hard to follow Bistromatic, I'll jump on that bandwagon - here's my UCM scheme. The plan is for individual ships to have slightly different patterns.

The black is probably too black (although the edges do pop a bit more IRL), I added a few more metallic accents to help greeblies stand out, and later ships are going to put color on the prow, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

Although it's hard to follow Bistromatic, I'll jump on that bandwagon - here's my UCM scheme. The plan is for individual ships to have slightly different patterns.

The black is probably too black (although the edges do pop a bit more IRL), I added a few more metallic accents to help greeblies stand out, and later ships are going to put color on the prow, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Yeah, that looks nice. I am a fan of doing greeblies in a bright-ish silver when against black. Or gold, to be honest; I think doing the weapon and PD barrels in gold would work pretty well there. Black's tough because it flattens things so easily. I can pick out the edges and lines really easily in the black sections of that photo, though. Is that because you picked them out, or is that just the light?

(Also the top of the prow is fantastic and I like how you continued the line down on the lower prow. Now I really want an airbrush and some masking skills.)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Arcturas posted:

Yeah, that looks nice. I am a fan of doing greeblies in a bright-ish silver when against black. Or gold, to be honest; I think doing the weapon and PD barrels in gold would work pretty well there. Black's tough because it flattens things so easily. I can pick out the edges and lines really easily in the black sections of that photo, though. Is that because you picked them out, or is that just the light?

(Also the top of the prow is fantastic and I like how you continued the line down on the lower prow. Now I really want an airbrush and some masking skills.)

The edges are highlighted, yeah - I did some fairly light drybrushes of german gray up through sky gray. Some for-reals edging in sky gray is probably warranted. And all the patterning is done by hand! The greebly nature of the hull armor is actually pretty forgiving in that regard. The way I do it would probably look pretty crap on a PHR hull.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Preparing me a bunch of scatter terrain and line of sight blockers for making our Dropzone games seem more alive.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For a unit that has "A/B Types" can they be mixed? For example, can you have a Wolverine squad with 2 missile launchers and 2 punisher miniguns?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

LordAba posted:

For a unit that has "A/B Types" can they be mixed? For example, can you have a Wolverine squad with 2 missile launchers and 2 punisher miniguns?

Yeah Wolverines can do this. And if I'm wrong then I was playing against an illegal list in a tournament the other week.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Some of them can even take none of the above (yaris)!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
On the other hand i'm pretty sure you can't mix Falcon As and Bs.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well after leaving my pledge in the box for a bit I've checked it. A few stickers missing, and was the kickstarter exclusive battlecruiser meant to be in there or is it coming later?

I've also decided to go with filthy humans for this, so I'm looking to swap 4 Scourge Cruisers, 8 scourge frigate, 1 Shaltari cruiser and 4 shaltari frigates for PHR stuff. Fine to do it on a sprue for sprue basis (ie 2 scourge cruisers for a PHR cruiser and frigate sprue). Where possible we'll just keep the bases we've got to avoid shipping costs.

Anyone interested?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Played an abbreviated game of Dropfleet Saturday, UCM starter vs Shaltari starter. That 12" scan range is scary, but I did one turn of standard orders followed by a turn of running silent and was able to avoid anything reaching out and touching my UCM. Third turn saw my Moscow in the middle of the board go weapons free to kill two frigates threatening and the Berlin getting a one hit, 5 crit burnthrough on his mothership.

So 12" scan range is still scary but bringing guns to bear will make Shaltari vapor. Good stuff. Can't wait for my pledge to ship.

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 29, 2016

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Thundercloud posted:

Well after leaving my pledge in the box for a bit I've checked it. A few stickers missing, and was the kickstarter exclusive battlecruiser meant to be in there or is it coming later?

Regarding the battlecruiser, from what I understand it'll look like another sprue but with some resin bits thrown in. So, double check, it's probably there. Otherwise, I think I've heard other people going on about missing stickers. I'm currently missing the entire thing :v:

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

YF19pilot posted:

Regarding the battlecruiser, from what I understand it'll look like another sprue but with some resin bits thrown in. So, double check, it's probably there. Otherwise, I think I've heard other people going on about missing stickers. I'm currently missing the entire thing :v:

I already double checked, it's completely missing.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Looks like i'm getting into Dropfleet also (depending on Waylandgames not being their usual shitshow with stock status)

Me and a buddy have both ordered the 2 player starter and we'll be swapping fleets, so i get 2x scourge and he gets 2x UCM. From what i've read in this thread so far, that's a pretty decent amount of ships for a regular fleet until we upgrade with battleships and assorted other goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Playing my first 1000 point game tonight. Managed to play a couple of starter fleet games.

Here's my list, no idea if it's any good, just want to get new toys on the table.

--------------------------------------
Shal 1000 - 1000pts
Shaltari - 4 launch assets

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (255pts)
1 x Jet - 165pts - H
2 x Jade - 90pts - L

SR11 Vanguard battlegroup (240pts)
1 x Adamant - 200pts - H
1 x Opal - 40pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (200pts)
1 x Amber - 110pts - M
2 x Topaz - 90pts - L

SR7 Line battlegroup (130pts)
1 x Emerald - 100pts - M
2 x Voidgate - 30pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (175pts)
2 x Voidgate - 30pts - L
1 x Basalt - 145pts - M
http://dflist.com/s/#/share/2740aba19f5f

My plan was to try and engineer an early alpha strike with my Adamant going weapons free, maybe even turn 1, and using the Opal to shield boost it to try and protect it from the inevitable response. I'm guessing that could work.