Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Psion posted:

Compatibility issues with too many other mods. If your modlist is short, go for it, but if you start getting into it, "I think it's a problem with Open Cities" is something you see posted a looooooot. It's not the mod's function at fault, it's what you have to do to the gameworld in exchange. It breaks a lot of assumptions for other modders.

Same thing with Strip Open / Freeside Open in FNV, whatever the Open Fallout 3 was, Oblivion, whatever. Any mod which touches city cells - which is a lot of them - is probably going to puke on open city-style mods.

and i'll take your word on it the SSE version is stable and performs well because that certainly wasn't the case in the good old days of "doesn't know how to address more than 2GB RAM natively" Bethesda era - so yes, cell splitting for stability was the right call on Bethesda's part. If that's different in SSE, that's good.

Open Cities is legit stable these days. But it's too incompatible with other mods for what's a cool gimmick and not a lot more. It's not all that convenient, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
You can adjust ineed to whatever you want. Personally, I set it 3/2/1 for hunger/thirst/fatigue, respectively. Then leave combat increases needs at 4. Seems to give me what I want out of it without being annoying. YMMV.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so i'm finding since I installed reshade + enb, night is pitch black.. so much so that I'm running around with candlelight in my offhand just to see anything.

is this "My Immersion!!!!!" or is this not hard dark its supposed to be? Dungeons aren't as dark due to light sources but I'm still finding myself hot swapping constantly just to cast it.

Lastly, Does vanilla skyrim give debuffs for food/water/fatigue? I installed iNeed - Food/Water modification and wondering if it actually makes the game more annoying with these things

press shift enter and expand enbeffect.fx and see if there's any settings for day/night detection that they might have dropped down to make nights darker.

Dumb Ordinator question, how the hell do I do a timed block against spell effects? I raise my shield and no damage seems to be getting mitigated by apocalypse proof.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 20, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
SkyBirds SSE is a mod that apparently exists.

How bad will it gently caress up my Skyrim, compared to the last one?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so i'm finding since I installed reshade + enb, night is pitch black.. so much so that I'm running around with candlelight in my offhand just to see anything.

is this "My Immersion!!!!!" or is this not hard dark its supposed to be? Dungeons aren't as dark due to light sources but I'm still finding myself hot swapping constantly just to cast it.

Lastly, Does vanilla skyrim give debuffs for food/water/fatigue? I installed iNeed - Food/Water modification and wondering if it actually makes the game more annoying with these things

I've found that a lot of "increased darkness at night" stuff does it in a very annoying way - basically instead of dimming the global ambient light level (which would make everything darker but things lit by another light source would still be highly visible), it applies a sort of "darkness" filter over the whole screen so that even if you're standing right next to a fire you can barely see anything. I'm assuming that this is probably something to do with Skyrim not doing dynamic contrast very well but I don't really know the technical details.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i have SSE and I'd like both a good torch mod (e.g. drop the torch on the ground when you pull out a weapon) and some dark dungeons - what's my best option?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
When I start SKSE from Mod Organizer it takes me 1 minute 20 seconds to get the main menu started. From there, it takes 1 minute to load the qasmoke testing room.

Is this normal for modded Skyrim, or should I start looking for problems? I have 224 plugins loaded in MO and about 400 mods active in the left pane, plus Vividian ENB.

Also, the favorites menu doesn't open so I'm wary of it being a connected.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I have a pretty weird small issue: random skill trainers are treating me as if I'd already mastered said skill, despite me being still in the early game with nothing over 50. I'm not using any skill or perk altering mods either (or much gameplay alterations at all tbh, the only major one is morrowloot). And it's not just limited to one trainer: For example, I can't get anyone to teach me pickpocketing, be it the girl in Windhelm or anyone else, but archery works just fine from any trainer. I hope this is a common issue with a simple fix or something, but I didn't find anything relevant with a quick search so I'm asking here.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
What happens when you talk to the girl in windhelm? What level are you at in pickpocket? They will only train you up to a certain point. Some are common. Some expert. Some are master trainers.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Corsec posted:

When I start SKSE from Mod Organizer it takes me 1 minute 20 seconds to get the main menu started. From there, it takes 1 minute to load the qasmoke testing room.

Is this normal for modded Skyrim, or should I start looking for problems? I have 224 plugins loaded in MO and about 400 mods active in the left pane, plus Vividian ENB.

Yes. That is normal. That is one of a variety of reasons a lot of us are playing Special Edition. Loading times are greatly reduced, and as my list of active mods are stacking up it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. NOTE: ENB does impose like a flat 10s load time increase when launching the game, so something to think about. At least dummy the dlls out when you're troubleshooting.

That said, 1 minute 20 sounds excessive. I never timed my loads though. Maybe it's closer than I think.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Corsec posted:

Are you using Interesting NPCs by any chance? I had to stop using it because it dramatically increased my loading times like yours. Apparently some people have issues and others don't.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mr.Grit posted:

What happens when you talk to the girl in windhelm? What level are you at in pickpocket? They will only train you up to a certain point. Some are common. Some expert. Some are master trainers.

Yes, I know, which is why I specified that I don't have anything over fifty (which she can train you to) and that no one works. What's his face at the thieves guild can train to master but he also just says "I can't teach you anything anymore"

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Yes, I know, which is why I specified that I don't have anything over fifty (which she can train you to) and that no one works. What's his face at the thieves guild can train to master but he also just says "I can't teach you anything anymore"

Do you have any outstanding bounties?
Any outstanding quest you may need to finish first?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

SkyBirds SSE is a mod that apparently exists.

How bad will it gently caress up my Skyrim, compared to the last one?
So apparently the final word on SkyBirds is that, in isolation, it works correctly, cleans up after itself, and is safe - it's just that it takes up a ton of space in the save games. However, apparently other mods were capable of loving up its routines and causing save file explosion and death. Too bad the writeup about this failed to mention any of those mods...

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've found that a lot of "increased darkness at night" stuff does it in a very annoying way - basically instead of dimming the global ambient light level (which would make everything darker but things lit by another light source would still be highly visible), it applies a sort of "darkness" filter over the whole screen so that even if you're standing right next to a fire you can barely see anything. I'm assuming that this is probably something to do with Skyrim not doing dynamic contrast very well but I don't really know the technical details.

It's got to be something like this.. can't seem to get it to change, if i go from 1st person to 3rd person after I cast Candlelight I can actually see enough to not run off a cliff. Its pretty much made me only play during the day.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The other approach seems to be having a script that goes through each dungeon and shuts off all the light sources, which will need a new skse.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mr.Grit posted:

Do you have any outstanding bounties?
Any outstanding quest you may need to finish first?

None of this seems to apply, and I tried some mucking about with the console, resetting my skills to low and such, and it didn't do anything. Oh well, I "fixed" it by just pretending I'm using a trainer and spamming the level-up-this-skill command on the console. I was going to only use the pickpocket trainer anyway and steal all my money back from her after she's taught me how to do so.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

hope and vaseline posted:

press shift enter and expand enbeffect.fx and see if there's any settings for day/night detection that they might have dropped down to make nights darker.

so I installed this:
Skyrim SE Re-Engage Reshade + ENB and used the Ultimate Preset on installation. I'm also using True storms and vivid weathers.

When it's raining at night, it's actually playable visible but pretty light, when it's normal night, i can barely see anything at all, not even outlines of distant objects. Tried to mess around with ENB panel for "Enbeffects" In back/out black setings but they don't seem to make a difference. What can I do to fix this? uninstall and try a different preset combo?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I took a look at the enbeffect.fx file and it looks unmodified from the stock version, the preset I use has some custom shader that has night/interior brightness adjustments, so I don't know where it is in the enb you're using :( Hopefully the next enb release will have adjustments to day/night ambient values built into the default enbseries code.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

so I installed this:
Skyrim SE Re-Engage Reshade + ENB and used the Ultimate Preset on installation. I'm also using True storms and vivid weathers.

When it's raining at night, it's actually playable visible but pretty light, when it's normal night, i can barely see anything at all, not even outlines of distant objects. Tried to mess around with ENB panel for "Enbeffects" In back/out black setings but they don't seem to make a difference. What can I do to fix this? uninstall and try a different preset combo?

Are you using the Vivid Weathers/True Storms compatibility patch?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2517/
I'm using the same ReShade and haven't seen any problems with light levels.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It's got to be something like this.. can't seem to get it to change, if i go from 1st person to 3rd person after I cast Candlelight I can actually see enough to not run off a cliff. Its pretty much made me only play during the day.
This is exactly something people try to fix with ENBs - just getting the settings right is a clusterfuck, thus the proliferation of presets that may or may not work for your set of stuff.

I posted this awhile back, fairly happy with it - Darker Nights darkest and Vogue ENB.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 22, 2016

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

bunky posted:

Are you using the Vivid Weathers/True Storms compatibility patch?
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2517/
I'm using the same ReShade and haven't seen any problems with light levels.

tried it, didn't do anything.

Here's how dark it is outside at night.. can't see ANYTHING

Tried loading different presets for COT/Vivid/True Storms with no differences in night. Dungeons are fine but outside night is brutal.

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 22, 2016

Burns
May 10, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Tried loading different presets for COT/Vivid/True Storms with no differences in night. Dungeons are fine but outside night is brutal.

Are you using the ENB or non-ENB versions? Best to do is uninstall it all and try something else.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Any chance Skyrim Unbound will get ported to SE? I know Live Another Life is a thing, but I liked Skyrim Unbound's ability to start a character at ground zero with no spells, etc.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I noticed that even though it's mentioned, Deadly Dragons isn't in the OP. Is there a reason why it's not there, like is it poo poo? Dragons in vanilla Skyrim are super underwhelming, so I'm looking for a mod that spices them up a bit. Any recommendations?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Any chance Skyrim Unbound will get ported to SE? I know Live Another Life is a thing, but I liked Skyrim Unbound's ability to start a character at ground zero with no spells, etc.

Skyrim Unbound required, in fact was totally run through, the MCM, which requires SkyUI, which requires SKSE. So no, not for the forseeable future.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

I noticed that even though it's mentioned, Deadly Dragons isn't in the OP. Is there a reason why it's not there, like is it poo poo? Dragons in vanilla Skyrim are super underwhelming, so I'm looking for a mod that spices them up a bit. Any recommendations?

It's pretty poo poo, yeah. Mostly it buffs up dragon HP and damage, so fighting a dragon takes about a million years and can end with a glancing blow to you. At least it's customizable via MCM.

As far as good dragon mods go, the only one that I've heard really good things about is Trainwiz's World Eater Beater, which overhauls the Alduin fight into something more grand in scope. That said, there's a bug that might pop up that kills the music in Skyrim permanently after the boss fight, so it might be best to save and install just before the Alduin fight, and then restore your old save once you're done if the bug pops up. As far as regular dragons go, I've had ok results with Ultimate Dragons, but that uses locational damage on the dragons, and as such, probably isn't the most stable of mods, seeing as how locational damage hacks tend to be pretty buggy in Skyrim.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I like Deadly Dragons, and I thought it was in the OP. I never used it to tweak stats, just to add more variety in the dragon types encountered.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Make sure you check your install/load order for VW/TS/patch.

quote:

Installation.
Install VividWeather
Install TrueStorms
Install this Patch

Load Order.
Vividweathers.esp
truestorms.esp
VWTSSE-Patch.esp

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Did that, didn't seem to make any difference at all with darkness issues or when storms hit.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

I like Deadly Dragons, and I thought it was in the OP. I never used it to tweak stats, just to add more variety in the dragon types encountered.

Deadly Dragons Armory is in the op with a mention of Deadly Dragons itself being later under friends and foes, but it's not there that I can see. That sounds like what I want out of it though.

Also there isn't a good 'way of the monk' style mod anymore, is there? Thunderchild really made me want to go full on disciple of the voice.

Burns
May 10, 2008

There was a mod for Oldrim that changed Dragon behaviours. I recall it being quite decent. Seems the author took it down, what was his name... apollosomething??

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
apollodown, Dragon Combat Overhaul. He took his poo poo down again, what's the reason this time?

My experience with an older version of that mod was more "baffling" than "enjoyable."

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

apollodown, Dragon Combat Overhaul. He took his poo poo down again, what's the reason this time?
I think the US election broke him.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Raygereio posted:

oh, that's fair then

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Would anyone know why WryeBash is no longer on the Nexus? I could find some rather vague info about it having some issues that will be fixed with the next release but deleting the whole drat page for it seems, well, odd.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Raygereio posted:

Cheap Shot posted:

oh, that's fair then

Yeah. America was a mistake. :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the title of this thread makes me smile and hear that scandy guy saying it every time so well done for that

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
The Alternate Start expansion New Beginnings has been ported to SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey there. First time playing Skyrim.

For a totally "optimized and properly fixed" vanilla experience, I have installed the mod manager, SKSE, USLEEP (with hi-res too), crash fixes and bug fixes by "meh" and SkyUI.

Am I doing this right?