Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
JA Happ is good forever now, David Price is bad forever, the Cubs are world champions, Mike Trout didn't get screwed on the MVP again, everything you know about baseball lies in a tattered ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Julio Cruz posted:

...really? Happ, Sanchez and Estrada all had ERAs more than 50 points under their FIPs this season, I'm not sure I'd bet on them being able to do that again next year. Plus now Dickey's gone they need a #5 and this is a terrible free agent class for starters.

This guy has never heard of Joe Bigiani.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Liriano will be the #5, no? Sanchez Estrada Happ Stroman Liriano? He should do better than Dickey did last season I would hope.
I also think Stroman will have a better year than last and wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez did too. Estrada and Happ might regress but I could see them being around as effective as they were this year. Who knows though.

Oh yeah I forgot Toronto traded for Liriano. It's not out of the question that if everything goes right for them they could be maybe a top-3 rotation, I just don't think it's very likely.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Tokyo fluff morning news show "Zip" had a Otani talk this on this morning. They were asking the local Hokkaido fans what they thought if Otani were to go to the MLB. It was very scientific they asked ten 20 something attractive girls 3 Questions.

1- Should he go to the MLB? 70% said yes

2- What position should He play? Most said Pitching, 2 said both and 2 said outfield.

3- What message would you give him? The Girl who they highlighted for this question said he should "Gambate" (頑張って)in the MLB. Meaning try your best, or a cheer for success.

V: :getin:

He and his team have until Feb 1 to inform the commissioner of his intent to be posted. And He would make crazy money in this market. Right?

also this morning show is cheese cake as hell look at their reporters

Well, there's a problem with posting Otani. He's 22, and due to the combination of the posting system and the international signing rules, any team that wanted to sign him could only sign him to a minor league deal - and any signing bonus a team wanted to give him would count against their bonus pool. You can't sign an international player to an MLB contract if they're under 23. And since posting, afaik, only works in the offseason, there's literally no reason for him to come to MLB during this offseason - if he waits until next offseason and doesn't get injured/poo poo the bed next season, he'll be in line for a big, big contract.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Well, there's a problem with posting Otani. He's 22, and due to the combination of the posting system and the international signing rules, any team that wanted to sign him could only sign him to a minor league deal - and any signing bonus a team wanted to give him would count against their bonus pool. You can't sign an international player to an MLB contract if they're under 23. And since posting, afaik, only works in the offseason, there's literally no reason for him to come to MLB during this offseason - if he waits until next offseason and doesn't get injured/poo poo the bed next season, he'll be in line for a big, big contract.

I did not realize the international age rule. I did hear that he was most likely going to be posted next year but did not hear the reason. Thanks!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

When I was 22 I thought the Boondock Saints was a cool movie and mostly ate Totinos party pizzas for dinner. I was real excited to have two couches that matched.

I hope he gets all the money when the time comes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tom Gorman posted:

When I was 22 I thought the Boondock Saints was a cool movie and mostly ate Totinos party pizzas for dinner. I was real excited to have two couches that matched.

i had four jobs and bought an engagement ring on a credit card. i support baseballmen's endeavor to funnel money away from the capitalist class.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

...really? Happ, Sanchez and Estrada all had ERAs more than 50 points under their FIPs this season, I'm not sure I'd bet on them being able to do that again next year. Plus now Dickey's gone they need a #5 and this is a terrible free agent class for starters.

FIP doesn't work for guys like Estrada that can induce weak contact on fly balls. See peak Matt Cain, RA Dickey.

And if you want to use FIP as a predictor for Happ, you can do the same for Stroman and see improvement.

Sanchez is a boss and might be one of the best pitchers in the AL next year.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I hope Felix's different off season routine and pitching in the WBC works out for him, he wasn't terrible last season but he wasn't himself. Obviously a return to king form would go a long way towards Mariners making the post season next year.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I don't see any reason why the Cubs wouldn't open up the checkbook for one of Chapman, Jansen or Melancon especially considering Maddon lost so much faith in Rondon that he went with Edwards and Montgomery over Rondon in the 10th inning of Game 7 despite Rondon being on 3 days rest and before that only really using him in garbage time and mop up situations after he couldn't get an out in NLDS Game 2.

You've got 2 more years of team control and there's a chance he isn't broken so my hope is that they sign one of the big 3 closers and offload Rondon to a payroll restricted team for whatever he can fetch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

I don't see any reason why the Cubs wouldn't open up the checkbook for one of Chapman, Jansen or Melancon especially considering Maddon lost so much faith in Rondon that he went with Edwards and Montgomery over Rondon in the 10th inning of Game 7 despite Rondon being on 3 days rest and before that only really using him in garbage time and mop up situations after he couldn't get an out in NLDS Game 2.

You've got 2 more years of team control and there's a chance he isn't broken so my hope is that they sign one of the big 3 closers and offload Rondon to a payroll restricted team for whatever he can fetch.

Because all three of them are going to come at a ludicrous price given the free-for-all bidding war. The Cubs spent a lot last off season, and are going to have to spend a lot next off season when Arrieta/Lackey/Strop all enter FA, so I don't think they're keen to spend too much this year unless they absolutely have to.

The word so far is that the Cubs aren't very keen to resign Chapman, are doing due diligence on Jansen but not making the kind of all-in push a lot of other teams are making, and I haven't heard a peep in regards to Melancon. This article makes an argument that the Cubs may eschew the big name closers entirely and load up on one or two high risk, low cost guys like Rodney, Ziegler, Storen, etc. They're also apparently looking at Greg Holland.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm 29, and I don't even have two couches now. :smith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SourKraut posted:

It sounds like the Cubs aren't really pushing to re-sign Chapman (thank god) or really pursuing after Jensen, so I wonder if they'll go back to having Rondon as the closer next year, or will try out Edwards?

Would they be in on Melancon at all?

If not, a total Theo move would be trading for or signing a "good stuff but hasn't yet reached his potential yet" guy or two for the pen.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 21, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I imagine they'll just trade for a closer at the deadline if Strop/Rondon/Edwards don't show they can handle the back end of the bullpen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

I wonder if his team would do this as a sort of "gently caress you" to him then since they're going to get the same amount no matter when they post him?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm 29, and I don't even have two couches now. :smith:

I had a ton of couches between 18-24, although looking back, we probably shouldn't have been sitting on any of them for hygienic reasons.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

I wonder if his team would do this as a sort of "gently caress you" to him then since they're going to get the same amount no matter when they post him?

He doesn't have to sign a contract at all, they would just be hurting the team's reputation for no gain. I think if he and the mlb team don't agree on a contract he just goes back to his original team with no posting fee.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tender Bender posted:

He doesn't have to sign a contract at all, they would just be hurting the team's reputation for no gain. I think if he and the mlb team don't agree on a contract he just goes back to his original team with no posting fee.

Yeah, but the team could just tell him that if he doesn't sign they won't post him again, or something like that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, but the team could just tell him that if he doesn't sign they won't post him again, or something like that.

I mean... They could do that, but why?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spite

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Inspector_666 posted:

I had a ton of couches between 18-24, although looking back, we probably shouldn't have been sitting on any of them for hygienic reasons.

I have young children so my couches never seem to last long

What is it with kids and jumping on couches when there's a trampoline?

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

IcePhoenix posted:

lol im sure that would go over well with other players in the league.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IMB posted:

lol im sure that would go over well with other players in the league.

Probably about as well as the other players who wanted to get posted before their contracts were up but didn't

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Huh, gleybar Torres was named Arizona fall league MVP

Edit: Jesus Christ he had a 1.158 OPS

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

Youngest MVP in AzFL history. That dude is something.

EDIT: Baseball America's podcast the other week was all about the Yankees farm, and those guys are very high on Torres and Rutherford (although overall man that is a bad podcast, they're all pretty humorless and the audio quality is low.) This is a really weird time to be a Yankees fan and I kind of want to nerd out about the 40-man but I'll keep that to my team-specific blog commenting :v:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 21, 2016

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Probably about as well as the other players who wanted to get posted before their contracts were up but didn't

I mean they could just not post him if they don't want to. Posting him early would just give up a year of having a great player on your team for no reason.

I haven't been following this closely, does he have a prima donna reputation or something? I don't really get where you're coming from.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In other Azfl news, Tebow hit under .200 and is being called a disaster. lol, Mets.

EDIT: .194/.296/.242 I wonder how many of his 8 BB where HBP by minor league guys pissed that the Mets gave him $100k.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 21, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tender Bender posted:

I mean they could just not post him if they don't want to. Posting him early would just give up a year of having a great player on your team for no reason.

I haven't been following this closely, does he have a prima donna reputation or something? I don't really get where you're coming from.

Posting him early will give up like five years of having a great player on their team, actually. If he gets posted this year and signs with another team his team will get $20 million from the posting fee (the max) . The same will happen if they post him next year, or the year after, or the year after, etc, all the way until his contract in Japan is up (which I think is after his like age 27 season), unless he gets hurt. Teams have dicked around players that want to jump ship to the MLB in the past, so if they're going for maximum dickage then posting him now and threatening to hold him to his full contract if he doesn't sign this time is what they could do.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Teams really should trade with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer because they might rip you off but you might also end up with a possible best-in-generation infielder or at least one of the best.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 21, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Will he be the next former Arizona Fall League MVP Dustin Ackley, or the next former Arizona Fall League MVP Kris Bryant?

Or he could just be the next former Arizona Fall League MVP Tommy Hanson and die.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Will he be the next former Arizona Fall League MVP Dustin Ackley, or the next former Arizona Fall League MVP Kris Bryant?

Or he could just be the next former Arizona Fall League MVP Tommy Hanson and die.

When you make posts like this, I imagine Javy saying them like a daytime talk show host while pointing at the camera, and the unwritten-but-fully-intended "Stay tuned to find out!" comes after.

Popete posted:

In other Azfl news, Tebow hit under .200 and is being called a disaster. lol, Mets.

EDIT: .194/.296/.242 I wonder how many of his 8 BB where HBP by minor league guys pissed that the Mets gave him $100k.

In news that should be totally unsurprising to everybody. What a loving ridiculous move by the Mets, they realize they're a major league team in the biggest media market in the US and not in the indy leagues, right?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Poque posted:

Too soon

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel betrayed. the "CRAAEEECKER JAAEECKS" woman at Phillies games is a racismer

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/attytood/Well-known-Phillies-vendor-in-DC-white-nationalism-fracas.html

quote:

Youcis told me last night that she was at the conference as an observer but added that she’s been in thrall with the so-called “alt-right” movement for about 10 months.

She called it “a white identity movement. This doesn’t mean that we hate anybody — we simply want to find our own identity as Americans ... as white Americans, and find our own culture.”

quote:

Last night, David Duke -- the former grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan turned right-wing politician -- tweeted approvingly of Youcis' actions in the nation's capital, writing atop a video of the brawl: "In the current year, if you're White and don't wake-up hating yourself for it -> NAZI!" Youcis retweeted Duke's posting. Her Twitter account follows a number of so-called "alt-right" accounts such as the group Fight White Genocide.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

In news that should be totally unsurprising to everybody. What a loving ridiculous move by the Mets, they realize they're a major league team in the biggest media market in the US and not in the indy leagues, right?

OTOH they signed him to a MiLB contract with only a $100k signing bonus, and I'm sure they've already made that money back and then some in idiots who bought Mets Tebow jerseys and idiots who are going to go out to minor league Mets games to watch him flail helplessly at the plate. The guy could never develop into anything beyond a joke and the Mets will still make money off the move.

tadashi posted:

Teams really should trade with Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer because they might rip you off but you might also end up with a possible best-in-generation infielder or at least one of the best.

Best-in-generation might be pushing it but yeah Torres looks pretty great. His defense is only supposed to be average but his OBP is going to be off the charts and he's projected to put up 15-20 HR's. Not a bad return for three months of a guy you're just going to sign back anyway. I'd be downright furious with the trade if we'd lost, but we won so I genuinely hope Torres goes on to do big things with the Yankees.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Posting him early will give up like five years of having a great player on their team, actually. If he gets posted this year and signs with another team his team will get $20 million from the posting fee (the max) . The same will happen if they post him next year, or the year after, or the year after, etc, all the way until his contract in Japan is up (which I think is after his like age 27 season), unless he gets hurt. Teams have dicked around players that want to jump ship to the MLB in the past, so if they're going for maximum dickage then posting him now and threatening to hold him to his full contract if he doesn't sign this time is what they could do.

Right, I'm talking about the distinction between posting him this year vs next year. There is no reason to force him to go this year except pure spite. They would be effectively giving away a season of a great player for nothing, since they would still be able to collect the $20 million at any subsequent year if they posted them. They could definitely just keep him the full length and post him before his last year which is more typical. But I don't get why you think an organization would go out of its way to gently caress a player over to the degree that they would make their own team worse?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

so I don't think they're keen to spend too much this year unless they absolutely have to.

I mentioned this a few pages ago -- Epstein's been very clear that the Cubs did two offseasons' worth of spending last year when they sprung for Heyward, Lackey and Zobrist, and Tom Ricketts signed off on that spending because Epstein made the case that this year's market was going to be absolutely terrible. They are not going to be players for big-ticket free agents this winter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tender Bender posted:

Right, I'm talking about the distinction between posting him this year vs next year. There is no reason to force him to go this year except pure spite. They would be effectively giving away a season of a great player for nothing, since they would still be able to collect the $20 million at any subsequent year if they posted them. They could definitely just keep him the full length and post him before his last year which is more typical. But I don't get why you think an organization would go out of its way to gently caress a player over to the degree that they would make their own team worse?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Just when you think the Phillies are not being run by idiots, stuff like this happens. I guess Baseball Ops and PR are separate departments.

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2016/11/21/13697736/phillies-pr-department-deserves-pistachio-girl

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Are you privy to some kind of insider knowledge that the Nippon Ham Fighters hate Ohtani and want to spite him and hurt their team at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why would I be? This whole thing started with an "I wonder if" statement and now people are taking it as something I expect to happen.

• Locked thread