Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Fojar38 posted:

Bannon isn't a cabinet member. Who are the other nazis he's put in cabinet so far?

Actually, thinking on this, I ran into this while yelling at my family back home in the south. You're right, they may be only Confederates instead of Nazis. Let us never forget America's own rich history of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's possible that white males will now feel fulfilled and won't rage out in the same way or to the same degree, because they'll feel like they're in charge / on top again.

More likely though we'll get more explicit hate crimes.

Hurting a cop's feelings in Louisiana is a hate crime now.

So technically not wrong, but I don't think that's what you meant.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Karl Rove was powerful because he was part of the DC tribe and knew everyone who mattered. Hopefully Bannon just ends up being like maester pycelle because nobody likes him or gives a poo poo about him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah it's like thinking Richard Sherman's ok for sharing a name with General Sherman while he makes your passing game his bitch.

His name is actually Jefferson Beauregard Session III . It's quite obvious his family was really big into their heritage and the apple generally doesn't fall far away from the tree.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Peven Stan posted:

Hopefully Bannon just ends up being like maester pycelle because nobody likes him or gives a poo poo about him.

Pretending to be incompetent while secretly manipulating the people in charge?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hollismason posted:

His name is actually Jefferson Beauregard Session III . It's quite obvious his family was really big into their heritage and the apple generally doesn't fall far away from the tree.

Oh he's totally a racist piece of poo poo but it's more effective to go after his record on being a racist piece of poo poo.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy poo poo, no. Trump is not moderating or walking back poo poo. In 12 goddamn days he's named an actual goddamn white supremacist as his chief advisor, named an actual goddamn racist as AG, named a lunatic as national security advisor, publicly threatened the NY Times, publicly threatened SNL, publicly threatened the cast of a musical, settled a massive fraud suit, then bragged about it on Twitter, held shady meetings with foreign officials in Trump hotels, violated norms for press access, refused to categorically rule out a registry for Muslims, and a bunch of other poo poo I'm probably forgetting about. And this is when he's in his most magnanimous. Trump is going to bulldoze this goddamn country.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Holy poo poo, no. Trump is not moderating or walking back poo poo. In 12 goddamn days he's named an actual goddamn white supremacist as his chief advisor, named an actual goddamn racist as AG, named a lunatic as national security advisor, publicly threatened the NY Times, publicly threatened SNL, publicly threatened the cast of a musical, settled a massive fraud suit, then bragged about it on Twitter, held shady meetings with foreign officials in Trump hotels, violated norms for press access, refused to categorically rule out a registry for Muslims, and a bunch of other poo poo I'm probably forgetting about. And this is when he's in his most magnanimous. Trump is going to bulldoze this goddamn country.

Start putting pressure on the republican electors for decehahahahhahhahahahaha they're going to be sucking on the Golden Hair'd One's teat until Revelations happens.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how we'll survive... :rolleyes:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Grouchio posted:

If we're lucky we won't

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grouchio posted:

Be whites a good start.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Grouchio posted:

How much mayo do you go through each day? Just wondering since you might want to cut back.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Grouchio posted:

We started a war that ultimately resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths because some people in GWB's administration wanted to. This was literally a thing that happened. There was no acceptable justification. They just wanted to do it, and they lied to the American public and the world to make it happen. The fact that Trump is surrounding himself with people like this is an extremely bad sign.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Deadulus posted:

Has there been any explanations yet for why polling was so far off? Was it something wrong with the likely voter model?

The only explaination I have seen is that public polling quality is just really lovely now. Which doesn't explain much.

There is a committee that will study that question. There are some tentative theories but right now it looks like the full inquiry won't be finished until May.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

We started a war that ultimately resulted in hundreds of thousands of deaths because some people in GWB's administration wanted to. This was literally a thing that happened. There was no acceptable justification. They just wanted to do it, and they lied to the American public and the world to make it happen. The fact that Trump is surrounding himself with people like this is an extremely bad sign.

And the other major candidate that Trump beat was the biggest Cheerleaders for the war in Iraq. Clinton didn't just passively vote for the war in Iraq, she vouchsafed that GWB was telling the truth about Iraq's WMDs to get democrats to go along. She was also a cheerleader for bombing Libya and killing Qaddafi.

I'm not a fancy lawyer, but it seems like bombing a foreign county and trying to kill the head of state should be declared an act of war, and subject to Congressional approval. But instead they just declared it a 'Kinetic Military Action', in order to get around that pesky Constitution, and War Powers Act.

If you want to bitch about Bush starting pointless wars, he at least bothered to go to congress to get authorization for his bullshit wars. There was some pie in the sky dreams about Iraq embracing democracy. With all this fighting in shitholes like Syria and Libya, I have yet to read or hear or read any endgame plan for Syria. When do we get to call Syria a win?

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 21, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It's November 21st, not November 7th. Hillary Clinton's positions or opinions are irrelevant now.

What is relevant is that the future President is a conman surrounding himself with chickenhawks and fools.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lemming posted:

Do it but start slipping in "big $$$$ CEOs" instead of GLOBALISTS slowly until you wrap them around to being communists

I know it's not "politically correct" but if you want to go anywhere with your job you need to be seizing the means of production with this one weird trick.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Yeah, he's not even trying to hide it anymore. We're completely screwed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Geostomp posted:

Yeah, he's not even trying to hide it anymore. We're completely screwed.

I think this is the most interesting part about our seeming inability to properly analyze this election.

The meta narrative of American racial and class politics is the formation of a faux generic "white identity" to serve as the in group, and slowly absorbing ethnic groups from the latest waves of immigration to keep their power up with black people as the constant bottom of the ladder. What Trump represents is fundamentally a white populism - an anger that white working class people were sold this narrative, the Southern Strategy, that they could vote for and support racist politicians who would protect their privilege at the expense of minorities and now they've realized that they were written a phony check. There's a reason "fighting political correctness" and "a feeling of white persecution" rank highly among Trump supporters.

The meta narrative of Europe is different - pitting strong ethnic and national identities against each other and chafing at a perceived imposed multicultural harmony by the EU - but the outcome is largely the same. White working class people in the West sold out their class for race politics and now that they've realized the rich upper class was lying they're loving pissed. If we don't recognize, however, that this populism has a very strong racial element we're going to have issues.

Edit: I do love that even the white nationalists are smart enough to know that starting a trade war with China is stupid lmao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's not unprecedented. I can think back to Bosnia and the massacres that one side did to their own in order to stir them into action. However professionally there should be a white house position. Engaging in speculation at the highest levels benefits nothing and no one and shows a lack of discipline.

I have thought that it might've been though. Obama signaled to the world that chemical weapons were a 'red line' and that the US would get involved if they were used. If you are losing sometimes you gamble and see what happens.

Dude, no. You're falling for the post-facts society again. The evidence that Assad did Ghouta is clear and unambiguous. Check out Elliot Higgins and Bellingcat's reporting on it sometime.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

If you're genuinely uncomfortable about all of this, then buy a gun

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

While this is theoretically helpful advice, we should keep in mind that a) having a weapon statistically won't necessarily keep you safer if you don't train properly to use it and handle/store it safely due to the risk of accidental discharge, b) is a MASSIVELY BAD IDEA if you have suicidal tendencies/thoughts and c) won't help you if it's the police that are trying to kill you.

Edit: I only say this because it keeps coming up in the thread. If you really, really think having a gun will help you then go for it, but keep in mind that statistically it's almost as likely to harm you as it is to help you if you aren't careful. Given the general Goon propensity to mental health issues "buy a gun" is also probably bad unqualified advice.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 21, 2016

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm less concerned about the police than I am Trump's shithead alt-right neo-nazi supporters

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I'm less concerned about the police than I am Trump's shithead alt-right neo-nazi supporters

As someone who would fail the paper bag test if I got outside more, I can't say I agree.

Not that your fears aren't legitimate. Just as a difference of perspective.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

You think there isn't going to be crossover?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

Edit: I only say this because it keeps coming up in the thread. If you really, really think having a gun will help you then go for it, but keep in mind that statistically it's almost as likely to harm you as it is to help you if you aren't careful.

If it were anyone else but Trump, I would agree. Group prayer circles aren't going to be enough this time to survive the next four years.

Darth Walrus posted:

You think there isn't going to be crossover?

Oh I think there will, but the overlap will never be perfect.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Darth Walrus posted:

Dude, no. You're falling for the post-facts society again. The evidence that Assad did Ghouta is clear and unambiguous. Check out Elliot Higgins and Bellingcat's reporting on it sometime.

on the other hand that seems to be untrue, too

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n10/letters#letter1

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Yeah, that's a guarantee of safety. :hurr:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you're not cool with the responsibility of owning a firearm might I suggest a vigorous workout routine? I think about Trump's nazi brigade while lifting for maximum angry lift.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
if you strengthen your posterior chain thru heavy squats and deadlifts, you will have ltitle problem flipping over their rascal scooters and then the war shall be won, comrades

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How much does a rascal weigh? I dunno if I can even deadlift 400.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
http://www.marcsmobility.com/rascal-600-t-electric-scooter-seat-lift-used-mobility-scooters.html

this one weighs 173, plus whoever is riding it. better get lifting heavy!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alright well I better get potg if I flip a Freeper over and beat them with their own rascal in the coming RaHoWa.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

on the other hand that seems to be untrue, too

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n10/letters#letter1

Read my link. It addresses Lloyd and Postol's claims, and provides evidence that Postol, at least, is a very suspect dude who's less connected to MIT and more to Russia and Syria.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Business Gorillas posted:

he must be in support of the water cannons considering how racist he is

[citation needed]

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that folks here might have a basic misunderstanding of the Hamilton thing and all Trump's other threats. To us, lashing out at any and every insult to you is a sign that you're weak, you're pathetic, that you can't handle the big tough world. That is, however, a perspective that only works when you're without power. You're getting mad at things you can't control, when you should really just suck it up and live with it. Suppose, though, that you did have that kind of power. Suppose that you could shut down criticism like that. From that perspective, refusing to accept criticism, however minor, is a sign of strength, an ostentatious display of power. You don't silence critics because they hurt you, but because creating a world where everyone is required to worship you is one of the most profound displays of control you can make. You're saying to every one of your critics 'what you're saying doesn't matter, it just means you'll be squashed like the insect you are'. Criticism is pointless, only abject worship will save you.

Donald Trump is about to become one of the most powerful people in the world, and he's going to try to make the world a whole lot less free just to show that he can.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Even if he packs the court clamping down on freedom of the press will be a hard sell.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that folks here might have a basic misunderstanding of the Hamilton thing and all Trump's other threats. To us, lashing out at any and every insult to you is a sign that you're weak, you're pathetic, that you can't handle the big tough world. That is, however, a perspective that only works when you're without power. You're getting mad at things you can't control, when you should really just suck it up and live with it. Suppose, though, that you did have that kind of power. Suppose that you could shut down criticism like that. From that perspective, refusing to accept criticism, however minor, is a sign of strength, an ostentatious display of power. You don't silence critics because they hurt you, but because creating a world where everyone is required to worship you is one of the most profound displays of control you can make. You're saying to every one of your critics 'what you're saying doesn't matter, it just means you'll be squashed like the insect you are'. Criticism is pointless, only abject worship will save you.

Donald Trump is about to become one of the most powerful people in the world, and he's going to try to make the world a whole lot less free just to show that he can.

:sigh: yeah, basically, this. And I don't think a lot of people, especially some people that enthusiastically voted for him, understand. They will later on, after the fact. But it won't do much good then.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm not kidding when I say we're headed towards fascism and authoritarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xand_Man posted:

Even if he packs the court clamping down on freedom of the press will be a hard sell.
He doesn't need to do that. The press hasn't exactly gone after him that hard in the last couple of weeks. Plus they are the main reason why he is now POTUS

• Locked thread