Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Da fuq?

What happen?

Derek doxxed/borderline doxxed (probably not doxxing in the legal sense, definitely going well beyond the forum rules) a scammer who fleeced desperate nerds out of MMO items by pretending to be a Norwegian teenage girl, admins did not take kindly to that and banned plus demodded him. On the plus side, we have new mods in Beer and Beets (I think)

TAXXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Da fuq?

What happen?

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Recoome posted:

The doxxing poo poo is hella dumb though

Says you, Mr. Tarquin L. S. Mommolio of 2590 Old Mill Rd, Upper Croydon on Sea, who works at Best Betamax Video Store, High Road, with BB Video Club member card number 00034.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is the point of a SC thread without Dr.Dr.Smart?

Gas thread ban OP
oh wait

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Are any paid youtubers / Citizens playing the Star Marine build(s) or will they be playing it up until its public release?

I thought it was implied that they are going to be showing that crap for more than the anniversary stream.

(and yeah, I know it's probably not happening, but it would be hilarious to see them try to have fun off that clunky generic mess they've been waiting for, for years)

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Da fuq?

What happen?

The warlord got a bit overexcited about his doxxxing and got himself banned.

edit: beaten by a mile

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
IRC Markov bot just weighed in

quote:

STAR CITIZEN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE T-POSES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, DEREK. I RETWEET EVERY GOON PICTURE AND I SAY IT AND I SAY IT AND I SAY IT AND I SAY IT AND I ARE HAVING A GOOD NAME

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

DogonCrook posted:

Also planet coaster is cool. Looks like developing 2 games simultaneously in an engine made from scratch while building a company isn't actually that hard if you are competent at games development.

Or, you know reasonable goals and the ability to say "no"...

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mr Fronts posted:

Says you, Mr. Tarquin L. S. Mommolio of 2590 Old Mill Rd, Upper Croydon on Sea, who works at Best Betamax Video Store, High Road, with BB Video Club member card number 00034.

Stop doxxing me! :argh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Friendly reminder: six hour probations are being handed out for bitching about recent mod decisions. Take it to QCS.

Also, friendly reminder: It's pronounced GIFF, with a hard G.

But we don't have a Concerns forum to move the bitchy posts to so they can be promptly ignored by the Community Managers...

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi, just a reminder to call or visit your parents whenever the opportunity presents itself. they raised you with care and love and would like to hear about how life is going for you and what you're getting up to nowadays

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi, just a reminder to call or visit your parents whenever the opportunity presents itself. they raised you with care and love and would like to hear about how life is going for you and what you're getting up to nowadays

Or just get them to follow you on twitter.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

I.N.R.I posted:

I call them every time you post this and they're getting annoyed that I call so much what do I do

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Maw posted:

I call them every time you post this and they're getting annoyed that I call so much what do I do
Mine have a restraining order against me now and block my calls. Thank you, INRI, for ruining my relationship with my parents, you fuckstick.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
some people's parents are horrible abusive or judgmental hateful arseholes, WHAT THEN!?!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fatkraken posted:

some people's parents are horrible abusive or judgmental hateful arseholes, WHAT THEN!?!

Get them to become backers

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Please, don't ban me for doxxing. :ohdear:

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
wtf does gom and ik even mean?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
What's google butt's problem? I vaguely remember seeing him in discord, what happened?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

start calling someone else's parents, i'm sure they'd like to hear from someone from time to time

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What's google butt's problem? I vaguely remember seeing him in discord, what happened?
I can't believe no one has figured it out yet. It's an alt account, the Sandi was coming from inside the thread all along.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
How ecstatic is /r/dereksmart right now?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, great, now that I proposed merging D&D with FYAD they close the QCS thread so that no one can come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

wtf does gom and ik even mean?
g0m is a poster recognisable for posting Tane repeatedly in this thread. IK is Idiot King, a semi-moderator position that's usually handed out on a temporary basis.

Please tip your server.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
holy poo poo Derek got banned

what's taking him so long to buy back in is the bigger question

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Derek Smart never met a hill he wasn't willing to die on.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How ecstatic is /r/dereksmart right now?

They don't understand it's a temp ban and they are completely oblivious to the internal goon political bickering so they're as ecstatic as a retard with a fresh turd in his hands.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
it's like a funnier mini version of the elections that affects no one of any consequence

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

They don't understand it's a temp ban and they are completely oblivious to the internal goon political bickering so they're as ecstatic as a retard with a fresh turd in his hands.

Its amazing how they went from "Goon-Leader Derek and his mindless minions" to "hes their toy and theyre playing with him".
Leader or toy, make up your mind.

hint: its #2

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

I called my parents and they just said "Tane." I think they're trying to get me probated. :(

In a desperate attempt to win favour with one of our new mods, I'll try and draw some flack from Beet's frankly bizarre taste in sandwiches by adding that a sandwich I enjoy is tomato sauce and strawberry jam on toasted white bread.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I like how we've gone from his loyal servants to "YOU'VE PLAYED RIGHT INTO OUR HANDS, DOOFUS SMIRK!" They're making the puppet master defense on our behalf.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Alan Smithee posted:

holy poo poo Derek got banned

what's taking him so long to buy back in is the bigger question

Ghostlight posted:

Derek Smart never met a hill he wasn't willing to die on.

Pretty much this. I don't think it was doxxing but at the very least it was a helldumping. A funny and justified helldumping but a helldumping all the same.

Regardless of FAUs ulterior motives or biases that's something an SA mod shouldn't be involved in since at least the last decade, it was hilarious but it gave FAU a perfectly "legal" excuse. I can also see why Lowtax can't remove his ban, SA posters are the ultimate rules lawyers, open that precedent and all sorts of shenanigans will follow.

I'd suggest someone pay to have his account reinstated but I doubt he'd return anyway. This has now become about how FAU unfairly removed his mod powers that he didn't use anyway.

Derek should just swallow his pride, let FAU have this little victory and get on with it. There is work to be done and shittizens to piss off but our Warlord will now die on this hill just to prove the point that no one punishes him unfairly without him taking his ball home.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 21, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Has Lazrin said anything yet?
He was the first and foremost Great-Leader-theory supporter.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Derek should just swallow his pride,

Yeah sure, right after SC is released, the sun burns out and every goon alive gets laid.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yeah sure, right after SC is released, the sun burns out and every goon alive gets laid.

Derek has all the subtlety of a Mongol Horde, for all that he's the Supreme Warlord he really should read Sun Tzu. Sometimes the best way isn't to butt heads but to give your enemy enough rope to hang himself while you do your maneuvering.

e: this is a defamation of the Mongols, they had quite sophisticated tactics. Please don't doxx me Genghis!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

VAT is always included in a statutory rights refund. It has to be, it is part of the price you paid for the goods. If they are deducting it then they may be trying to withhold it while telling HMRC that they've repaid it, thus getting to pocket it. Which would be fraud. Regardless of nefarious intent, if they are regularly deducting VAT from refunds to customers then I imagine HMRC and/or Trading Standards would be very interested in precisely what the gently caress CIG think they are doing.

“Very interested“ in this case would equate to “Ehrm… how about you pay that back, we audit your every transaction going back two years, and if you so much as wince at the probe, you get a business ban for, oh, roughly forever — never mind what will happen if we actually find something. Oh, and Brexit hasn't happened yet so this will be EU wide.”

If you're going to skim something from your scam, VAT is probably the least intelligent thing to go after. Making stupid people consume stupidly is all good and well, but the government will have its cut or bad things will happen. Consequently, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to say that they're probably doing exactly that, intentionally or otherwise. :v:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
FAU is a big ole double-wide bitch. Might as well be Ozma

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Maybe now I"ll actually be able to keep up with the thread for more than a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

If you're going to skim something from your scam, VAT is probably the least intelligent thing to go after. Making stupid people consume stupidly is all good and well, but the government will have its cut or bad things will happen. Consequently, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to say that they're probably doing exactly that, intentionally or otherwise. :v:

This question has come up many times. I still expect it will turn out to be some mistake from the person getting the refund not understanding how VAT works simply because loving with VAT is so stupid and incredibly retarded that I can't believe even CIG would do it, at least not like this I mean. This is like the worst way to commit VAT fraud and the easiest to get caught, I can't believe someone like Ortwin would go along with it.

• Locked thread