Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I get owned much more by discords on Winston than D.va.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Winston definitely gets wrecked by Discord as well, but as least he has a shield and his gun does more damage against shields (at least I think that's the case?)

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
Shout out to Jastiger for just killing Poke on stream

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Winston definitely gets wrecked by Discord as well, but as least he has a shield and his gun does more damage against shields (at least I think that's the case?)

Doesn't do anything extra to shields, but ignores deployed barriers (like reinhardt and other winstons, not zarya)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Internet Explorer posted:

If your goal is to break a shield like Rein's then D.Va is the way to go every time, Winston does something like 64 DPS.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Winston will never break a Rein shield considering that his gun ignores it. :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elliotw2 posted:

Winston will never break a Rein shield considering that his gun ignores it. :v:

I thought his gun did damage to both the shield and Reinhardt simultaneously.

e; at any rate using Winston to attack Rein generally isn't a great idea unless Rein is weak and you're just picking up the spare.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Shout out to Jastiger for just killing Poke on stream

Poke's bad though. I still like his stream because sometimes he gets salty and tilted and that's funny and he seems like a pretty chill dude most of the time. But yeah, it's funny when he gets rekt. Schadenfreude and whatnot.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kai Tave posted:

I thought his gun did damage to both the shield and Reinhardt simultaneously.

e; at any rate using Winston to attack Rein generally isn't a great idea unless Rein is weak and you're just picking up the spare.

On the other hand, tickling Rein with your lightning gun is a great way to annoy him enough to take a swing at you and drop his shield so your team can fire on them. Results may vary based on SR*

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you wanna break a shield, get yourself a soldier, hanzo, or roadhog. comedy answer: play bastion

winston can't break shields well, but he does attack the rein, his shield, and anyone close to the rein simultaneously. his damage might not be great on a single target, but the way the lightning spreads to other players actually gives winston the some of the highest potential dps in the game

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I had an amazing team kill tonight.

http://plays.tv/video/5832a458a26be9bed9/-meatgrinder

I was the Mei who put the final pin on the enemy team's coffin by denying their escape.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Jumped on for free weekend, messed around with a few heroes but I seem to have the best success with Lucio, and to a smaller degree Winston. My sniping is pretty bad so sadly no Hanzo for me.

Not sure if I'll actually get the full game but it was a nice weekend spent. Bastion is my bane though.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bastion is my bane though.

Haha this brings back memories of the early days of OW when every new player would complain about Bastion.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's Mei for me.

Especially that constant bit where the Mei freezes you and then stands infront of you, taking a half second to aim the headshot to off you. Mei!!!!!!!!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is it me or does Winston do badly against most of the other tanks 1v1? He doesn't seem to have a lot of killer moves other than his ult so they'll win out in a damage race.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

winston is awful at killing tanks but that's not what he's for. his ult isn't good at killing tanks either unless you can knock them off a cliff since each hit does 40 damage

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Haha this brings back memories of the early days of OW when every new player would complain about Bastion.

I bought the game in May but hadn't played in a while, since before Ana was released anyway. I jumped on Bastion this weekend and absolutely cleaned up. It reminded me of the open beta.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

winston is awful at killing tanks but that's not what he's for. his ult isn't good at killing tanks either unless you can knock them off a cliff since each hit does 40 damage

Yeah, Winston's deal is to be a gigantic disruptive tantrum who poops unavoidable damage all over the enemy backline. He's no good against tanks, but he can give the likes of Tracer, Genji, and Sombra absolute conniptions.

Most of the tanks are pretty low DPS, so they tend to bounce off, rather than counter each other. If you wanna bust up tanks go with Reaper.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 21, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Sombra 1v1 is hilarious.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's Mei for me.

Especially that constant bit where the Mei freezes you and then stands infront of you, taking a half second to aim the headshot to off you. Mei!!!!!!!!

You forgot the NiHao!

Every trolling mei will freeze you, nihao. then off you...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has there been any recent talk on the Symmetra changes? I thought they were going to get them out to PTR sometime in November.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they said the changes wouldn't be until november at the earliest

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
yeah and now the last they spoke of it they said december at the earliest

expect symmetra rework some time in 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope sym keeps her laser chainsaw if she keeps anything from her current kit. That thing owns so hard.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

If your goal is to break a shield like Rein's then D.Va is the way to go every time, Winston does something like 64 DPS.

I was talking about Winston vs. Zenyatta. Discord makes playing Winston rough, and I thought Winston's gun did more damage against shield HP, but I guess not!

Two of my favorite heroes, but I find myself playing a lot more Zenyatta than Winston these days. Zenyatta is great at helping your other support fend off flankers.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kashuno posted:

I hope sym keeps her laser chainsaw if she keeps anything from her current kit. That thing owns so hard.

Yeah Symmetra's weapon is good and I don't think it needs changing, although some more mobility/survivability to help her use it would be nice. Also maybe just a visual effect when the alt-fire damages an enemy to help it feel more visceral. Right now the orb just passes through someone and they take damage; it doesn't feel very powerful regardless of its numerical damage.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
It was few few pages back, but--bar the "hurr ur just poo poo" posts--there was a lot of good advice from you folks. I'll apply it and give it another shot next free weekend. Thanks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, Winston is a very sticky character and his gun is good at hitting either squirrely characters like Genji, Tracer, and Mercy and staying in the faces of snipers that do not want you there. Your goal is to jump in on their backline, drop your barrier and taze their support and snipers to death. If you jump in on a Reinheart you are both A) doing poo poo damage to a tanky guy with support behind him and B) basically in hammer range where he's going to wreck you.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009
Played the free weekend and purchased. Game is awesome. Really enjoying Soldier 76 and Reaper, would like to hook up with other PS4 goons to really start laying some coordinated beatings. Is there a spreadsheet or anything?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Played the free weekend and purchased. Game is awesome. Really enjoying Soldier 76 and Reaper, would like to hook up with other PS4 goons to really start laying some coordinated beatings. Is there a spreadsheet or anything?

I play it. We're friends.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Symmetra will be able to manipulate the m2 orbs with her m1 so you can spam a bunch then charge in, flinging the orbs around.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I would love it if that happened, or if anyone in the game got a weapon like that. Shoot a bunch of orbs with m2, they last for x seconds, use m1 to drag them back toward you and then let go and they shoot back out

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's Mei for me.

Mei is the only character I get mad at on both teams. Like when Widow maker is on the enemy team, I don't mind because that balances it out, but not only will Mei freeze me, but when some guy I was chasing has like 20 % health left, of course a friendly ice wall goes up. Mei!!!!!

(But seriously Mei players, don't let my annoyance stop you from icewalling)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

piL posted:

Mei is the only character I get mad at on both teams. Like when Widow maker is on the enemy team, I don't mind because that balances it out, but not only will Mei freeze me, but when some guy I was chasing has like 20 % health left, of course a friendly ice wall goes up. Mei!!!!!

(But seriously Mei players, don't let my annoyance stop you from icewalling)

If you have a good Mei on your team that wall will stop their retreat and let you dog pile the enemy.

I struggle to think of a class/weapon/whatever in any other shooter that I've enjoyed as much as Mei. I think what I liked the most is the mental game behind Mei. You have to anticipate what people are going to do to best use your wall and ice block. I love her ult too because it's quite versatile. Want to chase the enemy out of an area? Want to make a push? Need to buy a second on? Need some area denial? It's great for all that and more.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I tried out the game this weekend. Mostly it was to see if my PC could handle it, and it can. I can't play on max settings but not like my experience was dampened by playing on lower settings. Only if the game forced me to use the scaled 75% resolution it would hurt, but I can live without 60fps.

I am contemplating purchasing it now, of course. Origins edition, because it's cheaper for some reason during Black Friday sales.
I'm just wondering if I play it if some goons would help me get better as I am terrible at the game. I mean I did have fun, but was it just because I ran into a bunch of other people trying it for the free weekend, and if I have it and the weekend is over suddenly I will turn into the worst person on the team?
Like I'm level 5. But after the weekend I'd only run up against like 50+

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Level doesn't matter it's just time invested not skill

(source: me)

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

IAmTheRad posted:

I tried out the game this weekend. Mostly it was to see if my PC could handle it, and it can. I can't play on max settings but not like my experience was dampened by playing on lower settings. Only if the game forced me to use the scaled 75% resolution it would hurt, but I can live without 60fps.
I can't say that it will make a huge difference but having more fps can help in some edge cases and reduce input lag. I play on a 60Hz monitor but still use the low setting so I can get about 140fps.It also looks very similar on lower settings but lacks some visual clutter that people have absolutely taken advantage of.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is it me or does Winston do badly against most of the other tanks 1v1? He doesn't seem to have a lot of killer moves other than his ult so they'll win out in a damage race.

He doesn't really do the damage the other tanks do, doesn't have the range on his weapon that even Roadhog does (even Reinhardt can whip a fireball at the enemy once in a while) but he's brutal on back line support and (to a lesser degree) weak offense characters, especially when they're clumped together. He's an amazing distraction/disruption generator for the enemy because he's got enough HP to be a nuisance for a long enough time to do real damage to non-tanks and his shield/jump skills mean he has enough mitigation and mobility to encourage coordinated responses to him. You can't ignore him back there but you don't want to take your guns off the other 5 enemies who continue to shoot at your team. He's a tank in the RPG sense that he "holds aggro" and makes the enemy go after him and not you.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Kashuno posted:

Level doesn't matter it's just time invested not skill

(source: me)

I know level doesn't really matter, but someone who is level 50 will have much more experience than someone who is level 5.
Practical experience.

I mean, will people go 'are you seriously playing Sombra? She sucks!' and then tell me how to play the game. I know it's not really an issue during a free weekend as there's lots of people trying the game for the first time, but will it turn into me getting told how to play when I am just messing around?
Like, will it turn into vs AI being the only way to play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

I know level doesn't really matter, but someone who is level 50 will have much more experience than someone who is level 5.
Practical experience.

I mean, will people go 'are you seriously playing Sombra? She sucks!' and then tell me how to play the game. I know it's not really an issue during a free weekend as there's lots of people trying the game for the first time, but will it turn into me getting told how to play when I am just messing around?
Like, will it turn into vs AI being the only way to play the game.

No. Have you had awful experiences with online games in the past? I think you're making a bigger deal of this than the situation warrants. There player base is huge and you can safely play in quick play or other arcade mode with other people to learn the ropes. The only way to learn how to play is by playing. There game is a blast so jump in.