Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

So that's my new retro gaming set up. Just bought the stand this week, and the only real problem is I don't have enough nintendo Svideo cables. and while this new set up is better looking than the old one, it's more complicated to just swap out the cable between systems. The one I have I bought off of racketboy forever ago. They don't sell stuff anymore. What's a good non-crap cable to pick up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Ambitious Spider posted:

So that's my new retro gaming set up. Just bought the stand this week, and the only real problem is I don't have enough nintendo Svideo cables. and while this new set up is better looking than the old one, it's more complicated to just swap out the cable between systems. The one I have I bought off of racketboy forever ago. They don't sell stuff anymore. What's a good non-crap cable to pick up?

Look on eBay for one that *doesn't* have a composite connector.

Edit: this is the one I bought a year or so ago, it's good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131339928610

falz
Jan 29, 2005

URL grey tea posted:

Yeah, VA4 are these guys. Metal plate stops halfway-ish, and two square ventilation holes on the plate itself. If you have two of these I would buy one even if the reset button is broken :henget:

It's slightly more complicated in that I svideo modded that one and I guess I didn't test the reset button, or I broke it.

I'll futz with them soon, but no promises so keep looking.

Re the Neo Geo forums suggestion from someone else: I regged there last night, logged in, browsed. This morning I got an email saying I didn't fit membership requirements and my account was deleted.

Dunno, regged again with same info, we'll see. Perhaps they have a bot spam issue and skills lacking to properly CAPTCHA.

falz fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 20, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

And oh yeah, sorta video game related. Here's some building in Iceland. Googling the name says it's an advertising agency. Perhaps they specialize in plagiarising?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Talk of arcades reminds me that the two barcades in Denver loving suck.

However, there seems to be a good one in Lakewood called Hyperspace Arcade. I'll have to go there when I get back to Denver after the holiday. Hopefully their hardware at least functions.

Like, I am not good enough at video games for things like output lag to be the factor for my mistakes, so as long as I can't notice a significant delay I'm fine. It's just busted controls that annoy me and both 1up locations in Denver have some very used setups. Some buttons are sticky from people spilling their drinks, displays just glitch out for a second, and things like that. I guess they spend all their money to maintain their pinball machines and video games are an afterthought.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 20, 2016

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Ambitious Spider posted:

That poor Last Story box is being crushed. Rescue it!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Picked up a copy of Faxanadu.

Here is my important gameplay tip. The most important thing you will need to know to play this game.

That's not a 9 it's a g.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you get the same controller extension cables I did that have a cable hook overhanging the second-player slot on the Mini?

Yeah. I just took an eyeglass screwdriver and removed them, then replaced the screws back in the connector, they work perfect.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Crimson Harvest posted:

That has an external dongle right? I wonder if the built-in bluetooth isn't so hot.

Bluetooth is real drat picky and also garbage, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kid Fenris posted:

That poor Last Story box is being crushed. Rescue it!

I went and rescued it as soon as I read this!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Yeah. I just took an eyeglass screwdriver and removed them, then replaced the screws back in the connector, they work perfect.

Oh, wonderful! I was meaning to check on mine to make sure the screws themselves wouldn't interfere, so I'm gonna remove those covers tonight myself :peanut:.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone identify this Samsung CRT for me? And, if you can, tell me if it's good for retro gaming?

I have a 32 inch Sharp (32SC260) and it's really good. I use S-video on and it everything comes in crisp and wonderful. However the thing weighs a million tons, so I want to try to get something that weighs a little less. The one pictured is 27" so it'll still weigh a ton but even if it's 20 pounds lighter I can movie it around myself. The 32 inch I have now takes two of us.

Edit: I was searching craigslist for them and got the picture from one of the listings. I blacked out the person's face in the reflection.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone identify this Samsung CRT for me? And, if you can, tell me if it's good for retro gaming?

I have a 32 inch Sharp (32SC260) and it's really good. I use S-video on and it everything comes in crisp and wonderful. However the thing weighs a million tons, so I want to try to get something that weighs a little less. The one pictured is 27" so it'll still weigh a ton but even if it's 20 pounds lighter I can movie it around myself. The 32 inch I have now takes two of us.

Edit: I was searching craigslist for them and got the picture from one of the listings. I blacked out the person's face in the reflection.

Maybe the Samsung TX-N2771HF?

http://www.mediacollege.com/equipment/samsung/tv/tx/txn2771hf.html

It appears to have RF, composite, S-Video, and component video inputs, but it's also technically an HDTV (albeit 1080i). I couldn't tell you how that would affect your retrogaming, but it appears to do 480i/480p/1080i modes (over component, at least) and is 4:3...so maybe it's fine?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It appears to have RF, composite, S-Video, and component video inputs, but it's also technically an HDTV (albeit 1080i). I couldn't tell you how that would affect your retrogaming, but it appears to do 480i/480p/1080i modes (over component, at least) and is 4:3...so maybe it's fine?

I've run into a few of those CRTs that support some kind of progressive scan where they have added some background processing that adds some delay to the image despite it being a CRT. They might still look fine for retrogames, but things like light guns fail. I don't know if that model in particular has this problem, though.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Star Man posted:

Talk of arcades reminds me that the two barcades in Denver loving suck.

However, there seems to be a good one in Lakewood called Hyperspace Arcade. I'll have to go there when I get back to Denver after the holiday. Hopefully their hardware at least functions.

Like, I am not good enough at video games for things like output lag to be the factor for my mistakes, so as long as I can't notice a significant delay I'm fine. It's just busted controls that annoy me and both 1up locations in Denver have some very used setups. Some buttons are sticky from people spilling their drinks, displays just glitch out for a second, and things like that. I guess they spend all their money to maintain their pinball machines and video games are an afterthought.

I've never been to a good barcade. Everything's broken, the game selection is boring and "safe", they get super packed and loud etc.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

I've never been to a good barcade. Everything's broken, the game selection is boring and "safe", they get super packed and loud etc.

In my experience, if you're largely there for the games and not the drinks barcades are a bad idea. I prefer going to the arcade and walking down the street to the bar for a drink if I really want one m'self.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Random Stranger posted:

I've run into a few of those CRTs that support some kind of progressive scan where they have added some background processing that adds some delay to the image despite it being a CRT. They might still look fine for retrogames, but things like light guns fail. I don't know if that model in particular has this problem, though.

Thanks for the replies!

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I've been to multiple Barcades and never had the problems you guys seem to.

2 16 Bit Barcades in Ohio(Cleveland and Columbus).
Ground Kontrol in Portland.
The Coin Jam in Salem.
And some others in the Pacific Northwest.

I've only run into two cabs with bad controls and one pinball with a bad track. All three were immediately addressed by the staff, Ground Kontrol and Coin Jam specifically had newer "Retro" games(that team multiplayer Joust, and the new 4 player Pacman). The others had a good mix of genres. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Or maybe you need to get spoiled by better arcades idk.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Any idea whats going on? I pulled my mv1 and windjammers out of storage and get this

I've sprayed the contacts on windjammers and the board with deoxit, then took the cartridge slot off and cleaned the contacts below it. got rid of all the dust and crud, reassembled everything, let it dry for an hour, and I get the exact same error. I don't see any issues when doing the graphical tests on the unibios, so I have no idea where the issue might be. I don't have another board or another mvs cart at the moment.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Any idea whats going on? I pulled my mv1 and windjammers out of storage and get this

I've sprayed the contacts on windjammers and the board with deoxit, then took the cartridge slot off and cleaned the contacts below it. got rid of all the dust and crud, reassembled everything, let it dry for an hour, and I get the exact same error. I don't see any issues when doing the graphical tests on the unibios, so I have no idea where the issue might be. I don't have another board or another mvs cart at the moment.

Check your MV1 board for trace cuts, battery and capacitor leaks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
On another note entirely, I want to hear everyone's "favorite" bad port. Maybe it stands out to you for being exceedingly shite, maybe you have a big ol' soft spot for it regardless.

It's a little recent but still seven years back, but Dead Rising Wii was a real stinker. The controls were poo poo, photo taking was gone and there was something like 1/10th of the zombies the original game had. I guess it's kinda neat that they ported it to the RE4 engine or whatever, but at the same time the end result was so garbage that they shouldn't have bothered.

Double Dragon for the 2600 is a good one. It was kind of impressive. A lot of colours, still had the Double Dragon jingle and I guess it kind of looked like Double Dragon. Still played like poo poo and also I can't imagine it sold too many copies in '89.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

On another note entirely, I want to hear everyone's "favorite" bad port. Maybe it stands out to you for being exceedingly shite, maybe you have a big ol' soft spot for it regardless.

It's a little recent but still seven years back, but Dead Rising Wii was a real stinker. The controls were poo poo, photo taking was gone and there was something like 1/10th of the zombies the original game had. I guess it's kinda neat that they ported it to the RE4 engine or whatever, but at the same time the end result was so garbage that they shouldn't have bothered.

Double Dragon for the 2600 is a good one. It was kind of impressive. A lot of colours, still had the Double Dragon jingle and I guess it kind of looked like Double Dragon. Still played like poo poo and also I can't imagine it sold too many copies in '89.

The most recent Atari collection includes this unreleased (I guess now released) prototype of Tempest on the 2600. And... man...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87jPT0rRRDo

Another vector game that ended up lovely on the 2600 was Asteroids. It actually looks and controls okay, and uses color nicely. But the movement of the asteroids was terrible. They just move vertically with very little horizontal movement, which means you can just sit in the middle and clear screen after screen.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Nov 21, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

kirbysuperstar posted:

The NES version of Ikari Warriors II: Victory Road is my "favorite" for standing out as probably the worst port and worst licensed game on the system. When I finally found out about Mironics (the uncredited actual developer of many infamously bad NES ports), the sudden huge jump in the quality of SNK's NES releases made perfect sense.

I do have a real affection for the ugly, flickery NES version of Bad Dudes because it was one of my first NES games, it was at the very least playable, and it was the first game I ever finished (thanks to the extra lives code). Plus the music is arguably better than the arcade version's, and "AHM BAHD" is just hilarious.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

this is an example of a neo-geo being a neo-geo. my mv-1c only works when it wants to also. fiddle with voltage and clean things and maybe it will work

al-azad
May 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

PS2 Deus Ex. By no means is it a "bad" port but the Tetris inventory is gone completely and large levels get chopped up with Metroid Prime like tunnels that lead to a new loading area and they look particularly hokey in big maps.

But the graphics are far better, the technology doesn't look blocky and cheap, and somehow controls are really tight on a controller. It was the first way I experienced Deus Ex and I wish somehow you could extract the graphics and plant them in the PC version.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Chop Til You Drop is a bad interpretation of the original game but it's fun to play on its own terms, I think. I don't get why they didn't just make an original game, though.

My favourite "bad" port is Super Monkey Ball Jr. for GBA, which falls squarely in the "woah this hardware's neat, time to do dumb poo poo with it" category but unlike all the other pseudo-tech-demo 3D crap on GBA, it actually plays and runs quite well.

SMS Shinobi is considered a poor adaptation of the arcade game but I think it's perfectly playable on its own merits.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

PS2 Deus Ex. By no means is it a "bad" port but the Tetris inventory is gone completely and large levels get chopped up with Metroid Prime like tunnels that lead to a new loading area and they look particularly hokey in big maps.

But the graphics are far better, the technology doesn't look blocky and cheap, and somehow controls are really tight on a controller. It was the first way I experienced Deus Ex and I wish somehow you could extract the graphics and plant them in the PC version.

Oh yeah, I watched the Digital Foundry video on that, it was pretty fascinating to see the differences.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

SMS Shinobi is considered a poor adaptation of the arcade game but I think it's perfectly playable on its own merits.

It's certainly a lot better than Cyber Shinobi, I'll give it that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I bought it in '89. :colbert:

The Atari 2600 was a real home for awkward ports that work on their own terms. I happen to like Defender on the system though that's got a lot of problems on its own.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

kirbysuperstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQ-iK31JLQ

This is pretty sad yet also kind of admirable. Sadmirable? I love that one of your main attacks is an extremely casual pose with your elbow sticking out a bit.

What's the most visually impressive 2600 game, anyway? Pole Position?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

I seriously can't think of an honestly bad port I like, I keep coming up with stuff like R-Type for master system or Star Force on NES where they're not arcade perfect by any measure and not objectively "good" by that standard but manage to still be fun on their own terms. This is separate in my mind from traditional good ports that replicate arcade games well enough to substitute for them without being straight up emulation, like R-Type and Ninja Spirit on PCE, or Aerofighters on SNES. I think not having a NES or [insert 8-bit microcomputer here] as a kid shielded me from having nostalgia for excessively bad ones, I went from Colecovision to TG16 which were pretty much havens of good ports.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQ-iK31JLQ

This is pretty sad yet also kind of admirable. Sadmirable? I love that one of your main attacks is an extremely casual pose with your elbow sticking out a bit.

What's the most visually impressive 2600 game, anyway? Pole Position?

For official releases and not tech demos that someone did years afterward, I'd have to go Solaris.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

My favorite bad port is SNES Street Fighter Alpha 2. It has load times!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Veib posted:

My favorite bad port is SNES Street Fighter Alpha 2. It has load times!

Gotta decompress that data somehow.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite bad port is Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo Revival for GBA. It has weird new art, randomly replaces Ken, Chun-Li, and Guile's stages with Stages from other games in the series, and the American version of the game freezes if you manage to meet the requirements to face Shin Akuma, who was added for this port. This freeze sometimes causes your save to have a sort of debug/hitbox mode stuck on until you delete it, oddly. :psyduck:

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Altered Beast for Master System is pretty bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Load times is one thing, load times after the FIGHT! prompt is something else entirely.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think by simple rule of sheer volume, the choice is overwhelmingly likely to be Street Fighter II in some form, since they ported that to everything with a processor no matter how weak.

There were at least 3 PC versions of the game. One of them was excellent for the time except had nuts load times (like 1-2 minutes to start a fight on a typical PC of the era, although if you had infinite money and therefore 16 megs of RAM load times were like 10-ish seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IU6u5Ka5uE

Before that, there was the more common and just-plain-bad version of World Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVp4orhoXbU

And then there was the so-bad-it-became-amazing Korean unofficial version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOsv_QA1jrI

Almost as broken as SF2 Rainbow, recorded character victory speeches, PC speaker sound effects and Adlib music.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

A few pages back, but I have a short board model 2 Genesis without the square vent holes. Is that any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm a little confused about NES/Famicom Ninja Gaiden and was wondering if anyone had any insight:

I've been playing through the NES Mini's Ninja Gaiden and finally got to the last boss this weekend. After you beat the first form, the game counts down your ninja magic and timer and when you start the second form, you've lost all your magic and whatever item you were holding. Kinda frustrating, and it actually differs from what I remember from when Arino challenges the game on GCCX. When Arino fights the second form, he still has his fire magic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN8H6APMFck&t=2687s

How's that possible? A difference between the Famicom and NES versions? I can't find an explanation online.

• Locked thread