Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Congrats on your self serve savings brother :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, we've had great luck with PM so far. From unlimited text, unlimited nation-wide, 1gb each for $157/month to unlimited, unlimited, 2gb each for $80/month. Nearly instant number transfer and no drama at all.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You're getting unlimited nation-wide with PM? I thought it was in-province only.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

odiv posted:

You're getting unlimited nation-wide with PM? I thought it was in-province only.

The old deal was 6gb / 90, canada wide for $135

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh nice! Oh well, I'm still happy with Virgin Mobile for now.

OnePlus 3 continues to be pretty good, btw. I'm not a power user by any stretch though.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My boyfriend sent me this. These people are all lining up to buy a Public Mobile SIM card.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
It's happening.gif

If they get enough customers, they might be able to afford phone support! :getin:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Once they get enough customers they'll shut down the online support bulliten board software as it will be costing them too much money in hosting fees.

All future support will be sent and received via 5-digit sms codes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They didn't extend the promo, did they? Everyone still has to get their paws on a SIM by Sunday?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Lobok posted:

They didn't extend the promo, did they? Everyone still has to get their paws on a SIM by Sunday?

They said if you ordered a sim before November 16th they'll honour the deal for you, otherwise you have until the 20th

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Where is the Vancouver store? I can only find stores out east. Or can you get a SIM from Telus stores?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dillbag posted:

Where is the Vancouver store? I can only find stores out east. Or can you get a SIM from Telus stores?

Vancouver
TELUS Garden
510 West Georgia Street
Vancouver British Columbia
V6B 0M3

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

My boyfriend sent me this. These people are all lining up to buy a Public Mobile SIM card.

I'd love to know how many millions and millions of dollars of revenue PM ratfucked from the other providers

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

a fleshy snood posted:

I'd love to know how many millions and millions of dollars of revenue PM ratfucked from the other providers

Not enough! Burn them, burn them all! :twisted:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
A line for sim cards lmao. This goes to show you how pathetic the competition is that people will line up for a chance to spend a week porting their number to save money.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So if I want the pm deal I gotta go to a store and pick one up before Sunday?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

a fleshy snood posted:

I believe you mean, liberated back to the hands of the grateful consumer proletariat. :ussr: (pretend Layton is on there)

Rogers delenda est

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Rogers just called with wireless survey why I left. Halfway through in a home depot I almost dropped the call :lol: I had to sit near yh front to bad mouth Rogers and all their plans.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

a fleshy snood posted:

You mean how much did Telus just pull from most of its other brands (Koodo, Telus proper) and just put it under a new revenue heading?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So yeah the public mobile SIM is sitting on my desk unused so if you want it I can just PM you the number and you can pick it up in hamilton.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Did they drop the deal early or something? Trying to activate my gf on it and the deal doesn't show up on the homepage

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Ya i ordered my sim before the 16th, but the deal online shows you only get $2 gigs now :(

Not as worth it for me as the other one.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I figured it out, they moved it off the front page because you can't get sim cards in time, but if you actually go in to activate one it will give you the deal. Successfully got my girlfriend on the plan tonight

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Wind Mobile is now Freedom Mobile, LTE is rolling out in a few days but it's limited to certain cities and only one phone supports the band.

Here's hoping the iPhone 7S does AWS-3...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It probably will but AWS-3 is still going to have the same penetration issues AWS does.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I waited 5 days and they hadn't ported my Koodo number, but turns out they have a self-serve form when you log in ("change my number") and I was able to do it myself in 10 seconds by providing my Koodo account number. Got the confirmation cancellation email from Koodo shortly after.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

ZeeBoi posted:

Wind Mobile is now Freedom Mobile, LTE is rolling out in a few days but it's limited to certain cities and only one phone supports the band.

Here's hoping the iPhone 7S does AWS-3...

Does this mean that their service will stop being complete garbage

urf
Jul 12, 2009
I did the same thing since I had issues porting during activation but it's been 12 hours, my wind (freedom now I guess) sim card is dead and calling the number I'm trying to transfer gets a "this number is not in service" message.
Already fired up an email to PM but yeah, hope anyone transferring from Wind/Freedom doesn't go through this garbage.

urf fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 21, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Does this mean that their service will stop being complete garbage

Not a chance.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle32954738/

quote:

“I think that the right time to put the Shaw brand on a wireless product is when there is no reason to ever apologize for anything, and that is post an LTE launch,” Mr. Krstajic said on an earnings call in July.

Looks like we will all be dead before we see a "Shaw Mobility" branding

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

What an ugly, hasty re-branding. Vimpelcom must have really tried to pull some poo poo at the 11th hour to catch them that off guard on losing the brand name.

"What are we going to show the public?"
"Uh, I dunno, butterflies and teddybears?"
"Should they look harmonious in any way at all?"
"Absolutely not!"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hahahah 50 person long lineup at the Best Buy in Richmond BC for first day of Fido's $40 non contract plan matching Public Mobile.

e. Aaaaaand 200 people lined up outside the Fido store around the corner.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2016

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

So i`ve been waiting for my sim since the 16th when it said it shipped. I ordered it on the 14th. Am I screwed out of the promotion or can I just wait for it to show up and still get it?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Dillbag posted:

Hahahah 50 person long lineup at the Best Buy in Richmond BC for first day of Fido's $40 non contract plan matching Public Mobile.

e. Aaaaaand 200 people lined up outside the Fido store around the corner.

Fair pricing motivates people, but I bet these people are still locked in with hardware subsidies.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

What an ugly, hasty re-branding. Vimpelcom must have really tried to pull some poo poo at the 11th hour to catch them that off guard on losing the brand name.

"What are we going to show the public?"
"Uh, I dunno, butterflies and teddybears?"
"Should they look harmonious in any way at all?"
"Absolutely not!"

As long as I can keep paying 30 bux/mo for unlimited everything I don't care how lovely their brand looks aesthetically.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Risky Bisquick posted:

Fair pricing motivates people, but I bet these people are still locked in with hardware subsidies.

Yeah all my friends who owned their phones changed to Public Mobile while the ones on contract are stuck paying rogers $200 a month. Do never contract.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
Metrotown lineups. Fido deal only available until today, apparently.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So, like, are Canadian telecoms going to start... Uh, what's the word for it. When multiple companies try to make their services more attractive to consumers instead of blatant price fixing... tip of my tongue.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

JoelJoel posted:

So, like, are Canadian telecoms going to start... Uh, what's the word for it. When multiple companies try to make their services more attractive to consumers instead of blatant price fixing... tip of my tongue.

No. they're literally just moving money between self owned companies like a shell game. I don't know about you but some limited promotion period where people need to line up for hours on a specific day is not competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JoelJoel posted:

You mean the... "c" word? It's a pretty dirty word here in Canada.