Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I worked 6 hours today because of a switch went down and it's not even overtime because of the thanksgiving holiday. It's not 80 hours worked so unless I go over 8 hours it's just regular time.

That holiday I'm also on call for since it happens that I have a 2 week on call. I had to take my usual rotation and the holiday because of fairness to people who had to take it last year. Funny how fairness and teamwork only seems to extend to people who aren't me.

I bet you they try to dump another on call on me because of a back to back happening to someone else at Christmas. At which point, I will probably stab them with my leatherman.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Alarm clock chat:

I used to hit snooze about 5-6 times before getting up, then I moved my alarm 30 minutes forward. I now hit snooze about two times, still get up at the same time though, but I'm much more rested. Which reminds me, I should move it another ten minutes forward.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Claptain posted:

Alarm clock chat:

I used to hit snooze about 5-6 times before getting up, then I moved my alarm 30 minutes forward. I now hit snooze about two times, still get up at the same time though, but I'm much more rested. Which reminds me, I should move it another ten minutes forward.

Use one of those sunrise alarms that applies the pseudo science idea of waking up during lighter sleep cycles. I use it and I feel fantastic after I wake up.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The Microsoft Band has that smart alarm sleep detecting option, and, I agree it helps. When I don't trigger it and wake up at the alarm time I know I slept lovely and am going to have a bad day.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
More alarm clock chat.

I use my phone as an alarm. My alarm tone is something that starts with quiet bird song. I always shut is off after the first few tweets.
I used to have a "wake the dead" alarm clock, but after I had a few years in the military I wake at the drop of a hat.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://www.oracle.com/corporate/acquisitions/dyn/index.html

Well...... gently caress....

We utilize their DNS based filtering services. I expect the price to increase 5000x next month. :(

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 21, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

loving electrical contractor.

Not so much him, but the fact that there are like 4 people in here telling MY CONTRACTOR what to do.

I had them come in, give estimates, I defined the work.

The owner, the owners kid, and the CFO all want to pop in every couple hours and change what he's doing.

"That wire molding is too big. Use the smaller stuff"

We have 9 data cables and electrical you can't use a smaller one.

"Don't put in a furniture whip, we'll just use extension cords on that outlet"

Get hosed. That's going to look hillbilly as poo poo.

"Don't run that extra circuit for that wall. Leave it where it is."

Cool. Now using the microwave and printer at the same time will shut everyone's workstation off.

Also where the gently caress are the furniture people they were supposed to be installing today. There's a little bit of a holiday coming up here in the USA so if my phone guys can't everything done on Tuesday afternoon I don't want to hear anyone bitching.

Bonus: I'm out on Wednesday and the rest of my department is off on Monday so ain't poo poo happening until Tuesday at the earliest. You are not getting moved back into your department on the 23rd.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Also there's a vendor who's convinced that this is our fault.

"Everything else I printed came out fine"

Sorry, it's a PDF if it didn't print like it looks on the screen...

Debating a lady that works here on how this isn't our fault. Fun.

The black streaky poo poo is what's happening.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
60k for an A/C in our server room. And they leave the controller like this. Nailed it!

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Jerk McJerkface posted:

60k for an A/C in our server room. And they leave the controller like this. Nailed it!

Our new high school facility has some building-wide super intelligent lighting control system. The "SSU" (a Dell 1U server mounted vertically on a backer board) controller is powered off a 3' Y-style extension cord along with two of the node controllers and the 10/100 switch the whole system relies on. This extension cord is plugged directly into a utility outlet despite a completely empty rack UPS a few feet away.

They also ran their own copper between IDF's because they couldn't be bothered with asking us to define a new VLAN + ports to ride on the 10G fiber uplinks. They also set the tenant LAN side of the SSU to a random 192.168.1.x address instead of anything in the private range we gave them.

The cost of this system is probably near $100k and it's still barely functioning.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sickening posted:

Does nobody else use an actual alarm clock anymore?

I use my phone but I'm actually thinking about getting a real alarm clock so I can set it away from the bed and force myself to get up. Also so I can tell what time it is without having to turn my phone's screen on in the middle of the night.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nice, it came with a novelty hand to hold on to the ducts

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
In case anyone doesn't see I'd like to point out the outlet two inches from the box.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Hour and a half at a client site and I still don't have an account to do anything with. Completely unprepared for me to even be here today. I billing them for this? You betcha.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 21, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hihifellow posted:

Hour and a half at a client site and I still don't have an account to do anything with. Completely unprepared for me to even be here today. I billing them for this? You betcha.

Buddy of mine did a temp job a large commercial food company. He was a high level systems guy, and was sent there to help with some Windows server problems for a month. He got there, and they said "we can't give you an account or any access in the short time you are here, but when this phone rings you need to answer it and help whoever is calling. If your lack of access prevents you from fixing the issue, that's fine, just call this guy, he's our inhouse server engineer."

So for a month, the phone rang like three times and he just forwarded the call to the other guy and was paid $50/hour for four weeks of full time work. At the end of the month he got a check and walked out. Go figure.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
:phoneb: Hi Vendor, I'd like to buy some headsets please.
:v: You need a Plantronics license to buy them. Do these steps

:psyduck:

I want to give you money. Why am I jumping through hoops for this bullshit?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

I want to give you money. Why am I jumping through hoops for this bullshit?

Why you need to a license to buy a physical item like a headset seems like a horror.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

<click>
:phoneb: Hello New Vendor, I'd like to buy some headsets please.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Plantronics? Those we use have nice physical design and cool features, but the failure rate is way too high. I'm not the one managing them, but it seems like at least a quarter if not half of the 20 or so headsets we got a year ago have had to be replaced. The failures are also showstoppers like being unable to connect to base, dropping calls, and being unable to accept calls. Also sensor failures causing them to mute and unmute at random.
(We're using the Voyager Focus UC, no idea how their other models fare.)

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

hihifellow posted:

They may have already done what I came here to do holy loving lol did I just drive an hour and a half down here for nothing

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

stevewm posted:

We utilize their DNS based filtering services. I expect the price to increase 5000x next month. :(

And licensing to move to per core.
10 cores minimum per user.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Sent a Toshiba laptop in to have it repaired, they kept it 2 months, sent it back with the bottom casing busted and cracked.

Took them almost 2 weeks to decide what to do about it.

Despite my pleas Now they want me to send it back to be "repaired" again.

:(

Toshiba, never again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The big annoyance today are the users who have totally ignored every email, didn't pay attention (or didn't attend) in any meeting, or just outright don't understand when you tell them their data will be moved and they won't have access to the old location on a specific date.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

stevewm posted:

Sent a Toshiba laptop in to have it repaired, they kept it 2 months, sent it back with the bottom casing busted and cracked.

Took them almost 2 weeks to decide what to do about it.

Despite my pleas Now they want me to send it back to be "repaired" again.

:(

Toshiba, never again.

Never ever ever settle for depot warranty. When I buy a laptop these days, I always spring for the warranty that gets some poor bastard to show up and fix it in person.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

Bullshit

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

aaand there's the answer.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

nielsm posted:

Plantronics? Those we use have nice physical design and cool features, but the failure rate is way too high. I'm not the one managing them, but it seems like at least a quarter if not half of the 20 or so headsets we got a year ago have had to be replaced. The failures are also showstoppers like being unable to connect to base, dropping calls, and being unable to accept calls. Also sensor failures causing them to mute and unmute at random.

We switched everyone to Sennheiser about 10 months ago and have only had one failure since. We were replacing on average 2 headsets a month on plantronics. Granted they were aging a bit, but still, that failure rate for the 100 people using them was ridiculous.

AbrahamSlam
Jun 12, 2013

Mess with the bull, you get the WANG!
I'd say what pisses me off the most is when you transfer a clients' data to their new computer and the first thing they do is come in and yell at you for losing all their data... but they didn't click on the folder labeled "Data Backup" sitting on their desktop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sennheiser DW Office is a good headset

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So theoretically speaking, what actual immediate damage happens to servers when exposed to a "sauna like environment" due to a sprinkler firing in an unpopulated area of the server room while an A/C unit is down for unrelated reasons, causing temperatures to rise, causing all that water to evaporate into the air? So no hardware actually got rained on, it just stewed in a soggy mix for "several hours."

Totally theoretically, of course. This could never happen in the real world obviously because that would be silly.

Obviously the long term implications are pretty bad if condensation made it inside the machines and it starts corroding things and there's a risk of short circuits if components aren't completely dry when someone tries to power stuff back on, but I can't find any actual case reports for this kind of post-disaster recovery and am wondering what I'm missing.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

xzzy posted:

So theoretically speaking, what actual immediate damage happens to servers when exposed to a "sauna like environment" due to a sprinkler firing in an unpopulated area of the server room while an A/C unit is down for unrelated reasons, causing temperatures to rise, causing all that water to evaporate into the air? So no hardware actually got rained on, it just stewed in a soggy mix for "several hours."

Totally theoretically, of course. This could never happen in the real world obviously because that would be silly.

Obviously the long term implications are pretty bad if condensation made it inside the machines and it starts corroding things and there's a risk of short circuits if components aren't completely dry when someone tries to power stuff back on, but I can't find any actual case reports for this kind of post-disaster recovery and am wondering what I'm missing.

Black mold?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

<click>

We just got some non-Plantronics ones. Problem solved.

nielsm posted:

We've had some real good luck with them. Usually ours lose the little foam padding before any issue with the actual headset. :shrug:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

xzzy posted:

Pretty much nothing if it didn't condense and was dried out promptly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully not, the situation is still pretty chaotic and no one has a hard timeline yet but it sounds like they got air circulating again somewhere between 6-12 hours after the sprinkler went off and relative humidity dropped to normal levels in less than a day, so my expectation is that mold wouldn't have a chance to develop.

I just know someone's gonna be antsy to get stuff powered back up and am trying to get a realistic picture of what may or may not blow up (hopefully figuratively).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alereon posted:

Pretty much nothing if it didn't condense and was dried out promptly.

People on site have been tasked with opening cases to check for any signs. Early reports said condensation was seen on the exterior of a number of machines though.

I'm just glad I'm not the one who designed that server room because all the scrutiny has revealed a number of flaws with the setup.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

stevewm posted:

The best part is when they streamline you into Oracle support.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AbrahamSlam posted:

I'd say what pisses me off the most is when you transfer a clients' data to their new computer and the first thing they do is come in and yell at you for losing all their data... but they didn't click on the folder labeled "Data Backup" sitting on their desktop.

Have a copy of their old profile handy.
Have the user sign in to the new system.
Merge their old home directory into the new one.
Pretty much anything that wasn't a registry setting comes back.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824873.aspx

https://www.forensit.com/move-computer.html

Are both very good solutions to the user migration problem. If you aren't using one of them, you should be.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nielsm posted:

Plantronics are pretty hit or miss, I've had more than one job where they were the go-to solution and would constantly flake out - bad batteries, failing to pair with a base, no channels working, etc. My current job uses Jabra headsets and they've been pretty awesome, when I first tested mine I found out I could walk from my desk, outside our office to the hall, and into the stairwell 100+ feet away and it barely got any static.

Moving on to things pissing me off: people who don't call direct when they have a repeat issue, especially if it's one that you just fixed not even 24 hours prior. I have a client that's been great but I had to replace a PC and when I replaced it, it had a weird HP printer driver problem - printing was delayed by 30-60 seconds regardless of what printed, Office docs would print fine but PDF files printed garbled text. Worked on it for a while, tried various drivers and finally stumbled on one for PCL6 that matched another working PC in the office. Install it, it works, we're all good, right?

Nope. Got a call the next morning from my partner engineer that it wasn't working and the lady I worked with was frustrated. Instead of doing the common sense thing and calling me direct or emailing me (I had already both emailed her and left a voicemail to follow up that morning), she calls her superior to complain, who complains to another superior, who calls my partner, who then calls me. And even though I could fix the issue remote from my office, she demanded I make the 20 minute trip across town for this ONE issue. So I did, and finally un-hosed the printer drivers and got everything working. I stayed polite and reminded her that calling me direct would be faster instead of calling 3 different people and playing phone tag.

Normally it wouldn't bother me but it's a client where we have 2 managers who assume the worst and don't even bother asking users for details, so any time they get a call their thought process is:
1) The user calling couldn't get a hold of me, my partner, or our MSP's help desk; and
2) Our MSP and engineers aren't doing what they're being paid for and upsetting their users

Which in itself is enough to make me want to stab a motherfucker in the taint. Stop making stupid assumptions and stop making our jobs more difficult with needy bullshit :argh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Fool posted:

The big annoyance today are the users who have totally ignored every email, didn't pay attention (or didn't attend) in any meeting, or just outright don't understand when you tell them their data will be moved and they won't have access to the old location on a specific date.

This is why I use cnames whenever possible. Move the cname to a new server and cname ever share. I don't care if it's shares\departments\500 departments I will give each department a cname and let DNS handle it. If we want to split it in 10 years it becomes really easy. You just do it when no one will be on and the outage will pretty quick, don't forget to have the record expire quickly before you change it. Start setting it to last less and less an hour or so before set it to 10 minutes from 30 minutes change it at some point leave it 10 minutes in case you hosed up make sure it works after verifying set it to an hour and maybe switch it to longer if you want after that.

It's a static record that is only being hit internally if your DNS can't handle extra load on off peak hours you have more problems to worry about.

It's also huge to expect users to understand that their data is going away, they never will unless your users are other IT departments, and even then if they are outsourcing that much likely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Moving on to things pissing me off: people who don't call direct when they have a repeat issue, especially if it's one that you just fixed not even 24 hours prior.

I stayed polite and reminded her that calling me direct would be faster instead of calling 3 different people and playing phone tag.

Can't agree with this as it's just not a sustainable way to work. Document the fix in your ticketing system, attach the driver if it's a tough one to get hold of. Then beat the rest of the support team until they learn that a helpdesk filled with resolved tickets is a mine of information that can be used to solve the next problem. If there are frequent issues with certain customers then it goes into the wiki documentation for that site.

Never encourage dealing with a specific person on an issue, it takes the importance away from good documentation and you don't realise it until someone leaves. If people have to deal with a single person because the other choices are all people who can barely answer a phone let alone read case notes then all bets are off.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 21, 2016