Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gonadic io posted:

give more than 2 weeks then
do what someone I know did, which was say "I'm leaving but I don't know where to and I don't know when" and just awkwardly stick around for six+ weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Elysiume posted:

do what someone I know did, which was say "I'm leaving but I don't know where to and I don't know when" and just awkwardly stick around for six+ weeks

the brexit strategy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Elysiume posted:

lmao even i'm barely not that goddamn awkward

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we have to give 1 month notice

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
In theory (according to my contract) mine is 3 months lol. Both for me giving notice to my employer, and the other way around.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
don't be friends friends with your coworkers either

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hackbunny posted:

idk i think it can be ok if used sparingly

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

gonadic io posted:

In theory (according to my contract) mine is 3 months lol. Both for me giving notice to my employer, and the other way around.

I have this to and am hoping that they just send me on gardening leave if I quit so that I can do a big roadtrip somewhere . They seem to do it sometimes but not always

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

pointsofdata posted:

I have this to and am hoping that they just send me on gardening leave if I quit so that I can do a big roadtrip somewhere . They seem to do it sometimes but not always

the trick is to make sure you have access to "confidential" data or whatever so HR freak out and demand you get sent on gardening leave so that you're not hanging around memorising poo poo for 3 months or whatever they think you'll do

jokes on them, i remember it all already.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the trick is to make sure you have access to "confidential" data or whatever so HR freak out and demand you get sent on gardening leave so that you're not hanging around memorising poo poo for 3 months or whatever they think you'll do

jokes on them, i remember it all already.

the true measure of your professional success is how many millions of bucks of damage you could do if you really wanted to just burn everything the gently caress down

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

the true measure of your professional success is how many millions of bucks of damage you could do if you really wanted to just burn everything the gently caress down

Idk I got given admin access on most our our prod dbs day one here so I think the function is probably a curve

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

NihilCredo posted:

Does jail time count?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
terrible programmer status: 30

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

learning go, not enjoying it so far.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

augh concurrency bugs

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MononcQc posted:

the GO-rumpiest programmer

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Symbolic Butt posted:

the GO-rumpiest programmer

:golfclap:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have concluded that names_with_underscores are much easier to read than CamelCaseNames especially when names are long

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bloody posted:

i have concluded that names_with_underscores are much easier to read than CamelCaseNames especially when names are long

what? UIInterpolatingMotionEffectTypeTiltAlongHorizontalAxis is totally readable

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bloody posted:

a_really_big_and_long_variable_name
AReallyBigAndLongVariableName

agreed but it makes my classes uglier

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

terrible programmer status: 30

:toot:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

it's me I'm the terrible programmer

I spent a year trying to figure out why my sprites crashed the system and I wasn't creating them in the right memory bank :rip:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

a_really_big_and_long_variable_name
AReallyBigAndLongVariableName

agreed but it makes my classes uglier

it is uglier indeed. still thinking about standardizing at least my test names to it tho (they tend to be really long/descriptive, like test_butt_farting_produces_a_gross_smell)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hackbunny posted:

for this reason any team building events should be during the normal work day.
team building > actual work

but team building in the evening/on a weekend? lol gently caress off, i don't like you that much.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Bloody posted:

it is uglier indeed. still thinking about standardizing at least my test names to it tho (they tend to be really long/descriptive, like test_butt_farting_produces_a_gross_smell)

in f# you can use double backticks to just type a drat sentence and it kinda owns

code:
[<Test>]
let ``When a butt poops the poop should be smelly`` () = blah blah

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

raminasi posted:

in f# you can use double backticks to just type a drat sentence and it kinda owns

code:
[<Test>]

That sounds like something that could get a bit out of hand.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Chalks posted:

That sounds like something that could get a bit out of hand.

new thread title right there

Weekend Bridges
Apr 8, 2015

by Smythe

raminasi posted:

code:
[<Test>]

in lisp you can use backslashes to escape whatever in symbols, or you can just put pipes around a symbol instead to use whatever in it. in ancient lisp "blah blah blah" with quotes was just alternate syntax for '|blah blah blah| too o_O

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i hate devops

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

the world would be a better place if it were abbreviated to Dops instead

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

MononcQc posted:

make sure you install go guru and start using whicherrs. it will tell you what errors can be returned by a function that returns errors. i dont know how anyone is expected to get by without it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
also learn to use the context package asap.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
and most importantly, remember to turn off syntax highlighting!!!!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

currently still just going through the books and the language semantics mostly bum me out.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

raminasi posted:

code:
[<Test>]

neat!

verilog has a similar-ish thing called escaped identifiers, so you can declare a variable like:
\this'name;can==be(full)of?syntax; and its only terminable by whitespace
i have never seen them used but the very concept of them should be shot into the sun

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

make sure you install go guru and start using whicherrs. it will tell you what errors can be returned by a function that returns errors. i dont know how anyone is expected to get by without it.

i'm dying

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

i have my own opinions but what makes you say that?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

pointsofdata posted:

Idk I got given admin access on most our our prod dbs day one here so I think the function is probably a curve
we had a coworker flake out and the rest of us had a half-serious discussion about what would happen if he just nuked our DBs. the consensus was "bad things would happen"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if java decided Exception should be final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

Wheany posted:

for this reason any team building events should be during the normal work day.
team building > actual work

but team building in the evening/on a weekend? lol gently caress off, i don't like you that much.

I've finally gotten to the sweet spot of a head nod in the morning then no one talks to me for the rest of the day unless it is explicitly work related. They regularly like my facebook stuff though so who knows.

• Locked thread