Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Isn't motorsport viewership down as a whole? Pretty sure Jimmy Johnson doesn't have poo poo to do with that.

Ratings are down, but is that an accurate measure of viewership? They're all ignoring the internet. NFL and Premier League ratings have plummeted, too. Just about the only sport that isn't losing viewers is the NBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

quote:

Incidentally, NASCAR is now Scott-free. I wonder who takes the 44 next year.

I think you're onto something with the below-quoted post, which NASCAR will milk to distance themselves from Trump:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Talk about how proud they are of their Mexican champion, push him as a huge upcoming star, and they're exonerated for being lovely. It's great for Daniel but it's a huge win for NASCAR getting off scott-free.

My money's on Bubba with the Ford ties. "A Mexican champion! A full-time African-American in Sprint Cup! WE ARE INCLUSIVE!"

wicka posted:

Ratings are down, but is that an accurate measure of viewership? They're all ignoring the internet. NFL and Premier League ratings have plummeted, too. Just about the only sport that isn't losing viewers is the NBA.

This is what NASCAR is leaning hard on to say "See? It's not so bad!".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

I know Indy and IMSA livestreams (unless Fox is running the show, but Fox's non-NASCAR coverage blows massive chunks), and I think NASCAR does too. F1 does not :lol:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

wicka posted:

the TNA defense

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I've pretty much stopped watching everything except INDYCAR, I have too much poo poo to get done, so I put the Colts on in the background and watch them lose.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

iospace posted:

gently caress, have a road course in the chase first round.

Are these road courses the inside the oval (Daytona, Indy, etc) or full real road course (Road Atlanta, Road America, Virginia)?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HFX posted:

Are these road courses the inside the oval (Daytona, Indy, etc) or full real road course (Road Atlanta, Road America, Virginia)?

I'm fine with either or, with preference given to real ones. Like it would be awesome if they did the Daytona road course the second time they came to town, but that would likely piss off people because of lack of infield seating or some poo poo.

e: of the chase tracks that exist already, Texas (barely), Kansas, Charlotte, and New Hampshire have road course configs.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 21, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, belated, but throwing that red flag last night was to me, the correct course of action. There was no way they'd be able to clean that mess up in 10 laps.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I miss the old pre-GWC rule where any yellow flag between 10 and 5 laps to go was an automatic red.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Has there ever been a boring NASCAR road race?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

VikingSkull posted:

The correct two is Mario and AJ, loving Schumacher only won in F1 and is a plebe by comparison.

Yeah, I wrote that extremely tired last night and should have included AJ instead

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

iospace posted:

e: of the chase tracks that exist already, Texas (barely), Kansas, Charlotte, and New Hampshire have road course configs.

The road course at NHMS would probably rule. I would start attending again.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Brian Scott was a bad driver, imo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

iospace posted:

Some more hot takes/spitballing:
-Eldora for all levels.
-Allow Xfinity drivers to race in Sprint, but not vice versa. I have no problem with crossover for Trucks given the differences in cars.
-Expand the field for marque races, namely the Daytona 500.
-Trash the Chase, completely.

And as said prior, reduce some of the repeat races and maybe add more road courses. Also, doesn't New Hampshire have a road course configuration? I know LeMons races there.

I think these are steps in the right direction. I'd also argue allowing Cup drivers more "cross over" appearances in say, IMSA, and Indy. (and vice versa), as that would make kinda create a "team" like thing NASCAR has been dying to capitalize on.

I'd also ban XFinity and Trucks from racing at the same track as cup, on cup weekends. Save for, say Daytona 500 weekend and what not.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

wicka posted:

Has there ever been a boring NASCAR road race?

Yes.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Also: Jimmie Johnson is real bad and so is NASCAR so I guess they're made for each other.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone should try getting Pastor Maldonado a NASCAR ride. That'd spice things up.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 21, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/800499570253758464

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats @IMSA, seven-time world tweeting champion.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Biffle gone at Roush, Buescher to JTG.

Bummed to not have Chris at FRM again on a personal level, excited for his career prospects though. The Roush ladder was pretty much a dead-end at this point.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N:

quote:

“I just couldn’t do this anymore,” Biffle told the Times-Union. “I’ve been the one carrying the company banner. I’ve been the one who kept re-signing. I was all of those things. But it just didn’t get any better. I didn’t see a light at the end of the tunnel, so I decided I’d rather do something else – even if it means not driving anymore.

“I just didn’t want to run 25th every week.”

V: This is Roush-Fenway right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd2Zcbl9_iU

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 22, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So the 16, 34, and 44 are all available rides now, with Biffle a free agent.

Been a while since we've had a decent Silly Season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You mean that the past few months wasn't the silly season? :confused:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Biffle is old. I would be surprised if he gets an offer from a competitive team.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"bug-eyed dummy"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

So the 16, 34, and 44 are all available rides now, with Biffle a free agent.

Been a while since we've had a decent Silly Season.

16 is being contracted, charter probably going to JTG

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/800508213162639360

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

good, gently caress jack roush, i hope his organization burns in poo poo

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Zest is gone from the 17.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roush sucks rear end

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
please do not speak ill of war heroes plz

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Looks like I ditched the Greg Biffle avatar just in time. Weird to think that Roush is all but done being competitive in the sport when 10 years ago they were one of the top teams. I know 10 years is a long time, especially when it is pretty obvious you've fallen behind in the technology but to go from one of the best and being one of those teams that could practically print money to losing all of your top tier drivers, most of your sponsors and now your most veteran mid-tier driver is a pretty big flight of stairs to fall down. Somebody really hosed that organization up.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

bigbillystyle posted:

Weird to think that Roush is all but done being competitive in the sport when 10 years ago they were one of the top teams.

Not even 10 years ago. 5 years ago Carl Edwards tied for the championship.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

There was talk about doing Winter Heat in CyTube again during the offseason, so here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585016

Go wild, have fun, maybe bump this thread in addition to that one in case some goons don't have ^that^ bookmarked.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 23, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not sure if this is Misc thread worthy or NASCAR, so it'll get both:
https://twitter.com/dennyhamlin/status/801144254588297216
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/801152130618916869

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That is some pro wrestler rear end 'if you haven't done this you don't get to enjoy it' bullshit.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

iospace posted:

Not sure if this is Misc thread worthy or NASCAR, so it'll get both:
https://twitter.com/dennyhamlin/status/801144254588297216

I get what he saying that he doesn't want to think about another race for a while and rest. Should he have said it on Twitter, probably not. Are the fans being extremely lovely and deserve a middle finger to get of his case, sure.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Denny Hamlin's career is basically Batman's story, only he didn't gain redemption after he got his back snapped.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Have a dumb Sporcle game I made a while ago and just updated:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/JSprague24/nascarwhatif

Three-time Sprint Cup Champion Kevin Harvick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

iospace posted:

But real talk right now: NASCAR has an image issue, and it has nothing to do with the on-track product.

Brian France was pretty open about his support of Trump. Some big name racers supported him, and there was the Trump truck. NASCAR has long had the image of being for rednecks, brought to you by rednecks, and filled with redneck drivers. I think partially why the Jeff Gordon years were so popular was because suddenly you have this northerner who isn't one of the good ol' southern boys not only winning, but winning constantly. This was also helped by CART completely falling apart in the 90s.

Now the whole Southern Boy image has come roaring back, and it definitely turns people off. A Mexican winning Xfinity is a glorious double barreled middle finger to France though :getin:

The other thing is racing as a whole is on a downswing, and that could be for a multitude of reasons which could be argued till the cows come home.

e: I'm talking top level, big name series here being on a downswing compared to their glory years. IndyCar, F1, and NASCAR all are running into problems with attendance, though Indy's have been around for longer than the other two's. F1 has the added problem of on track product sucking right now if you're not driving a Mercedes (though that's for the Worst Thread), and NASCAR is trying really, really hard to recapture that lightning in a bottle it had in the 90s to the early 2000s.

Live sports ratings are down across the board- even the NFL is not immune. Despite the fact that they're trying to grow the sport in Europe, they're getting pressure to stop showing games at balls in the morning on the west coast. My guess is that cord-cutters are finally getting to live sports, and they're going to have to give up and sell directly to consumers. I live in the local broadcast area for my NFL team and I pay $20/season to listen to the radio broadcasts of my "local" baseball team (meaning that I can't get them on MLB.TV) that isn't even carried in my local cable system. This is what is killing sports in general and NASCAR in particular- people under 40 simply won't get cable to watch sports, especially as networks pay to put those sports on progressively higher tiers of cable.

• Locked thread