Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Right now the state is going to support them attacking non-whites. So no, we do not want that.

The goal is to take over the sate. of course I would also suggest any one who is a member of the Cato Institute also be remanded to state custody. As well as any advocates of oligarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trumps approval ratings will start ranking after the honeymoon period is over. Meanwhile Obama is nearing 65% approval.

People don't like Trump, even many of the idiots who voted for him. They just disliked Hillary more. Run a better candidate in 2020 and Trump is history.

All our candidates loving suck though.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

That's some pretty rough economic anxiety.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Quorum posted:

This is a pretty big turnaround in attitude from not long ago.

Anyway, you can have a veteran who understands veterans issues and also isn't actively being considered a fellow traveler by Steve Bannon, and as a bonus she's already got some cyberware as is appropriate for our new cyberpunk era.

I love Tammy Duckworth.

Do I think Tulsi is a perfect woman who has never done anything bad in her life? Absolutely not. Is she an alt-right neonazi in disguise? Probably not.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What on earth is with the Trump admin contacting someone and asking "Wanna be Secretary of Defense? Or Agriculture? Or State? Or Interior?"

Is there any precedent for a transition team contacting a person and asking if they would like to do, well, anything at all? Each Department is fantastically different, I'm blown away that this is happening.

I feel like at that high of a level technical knowledge isn't as important as organizational/analytical skills and leadership/interpersonal skills. Obviously knowing the structure/procedure of the department ahead of time would be a leg up, but I don't think anything stops a sufficiently intelligent person from successfully leading any agency. Except maybe Defense, idk.

That said, Trump is not choosing sufficiently intelligent people thus far.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Quorum posted:

This is a pretty big turnaround in attitude from not long ago.

Anyway, you can have a veteran who understands veterans issues and also isn't actively being considered a fellow traveler by Steve Bannon, and as a bonus she's already got some cyberware as is appropriate for our new cyberpunk era.

I wouldn't expect better from someone who is more attached to personality and celebrity, than any rational political beliefs.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

lmao I need to start making a greatest hits reel for some of you guys

do you really believe this?

If I call you a straight white dude again will you leave in a huff for a few days like you did before?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/cashing-in-bigly-in-argentina

This is pretty much an impeachable offense, right?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bill Clinton was at 65% at this time, George Bush was at like 64%, Obama roughly 70%, and Trump is sitting at 45% (which combines "somewhat" and "very" favorable, and most of this favorability comes from "somewhat"). sound the alarms! he's pivoting!

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TyrantWD posted:

I wouldn't expect better from someone who is more attached to personality and celebrity, than any rational political beliefs.

Celebrity? What?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

If I call you a straight white dude again will you leave in a huff for a few days like you did before?

Oh did I hurt your feelings?

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Absolutely not. Is she an alt-right neonazi in disguise? Probably not.

How can you say that when half the country just revealed themselves to be alt-right neonazis in disguise? Did you even read [latest vox article]?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

greatn posted:

All our candidates loving suck though.

The Dems have 3 years until the primary to get their poo poo together. And since the party seems to be coalescing around the Bernie progressive wing there is some real promise there.

Obama only got on the national scene in 2004. 4 years later he was a generational candidate.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

You can't impeach someone who isn't in government yet. Whoopwhoopwhoopwhoopwhoop

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

Oh did I hurt your feelings?

How can you say that when half the country just revealed themselves to be alt-right neonazis in disguise? Did you even read [latest vox article]?

Oh poo poo better arm myself :tinfoil:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anything Congress decides is an impeachable offense is an impeachable offense. Its not legally defined what 'high crimes and misdemeanors' means. Impeachment also doesn't mean conviction. See: Clinton, Bill.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Oracle posted:

Anything Congress decides is an impeachable offense is an impeachable offense. Its not legally defined what 'high crimes and misdemeanors' means. Impeachment also doesn't mean conviction. See: Clinton, Bill.

Which, given the GOP majority, probably means that nothing Trump can do is an impeachable offense

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everyone needs to remember when Trump is blatantly violating all sorts of ethics and corruption laws that Congress tried to remove Bill Clinton from office for lying about a BJ

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Oracle posted:

Pretty much. Now, the better an excuse they have, the more politically popular the impeachment is likely to be. Trying to get Bill for a blowjob was fantastically unpopular, while the almost-impeachment of Nixon would likely have met with a far warmer reception.

In all cases though it's a political decision, not a moral one, and in all cases it's been because congress was controlled by the opposition party. A favorable Congress will almost certainly not move to impeach.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Celebrity? What?
If Gabbard didn't quit the DNC because she was backing Bernie, you would probably be the first one making GBS threads on what is basically an alt-right Democrat.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Dems have 3 years until the primary to get their poo poo together. And since the party seems to be coalescing around the Bernie progressive wing there is some real promise there.

Obama only got on the national scene in 2004. 4 years later he was a generational candidate.
The party is not coalescing around anything. There is a huge vacuum that was forming, even if Hillary won, so Ellison receiving the backing of Schumer etc. is largely because there is no credible alternative (you can't be seen going back to Howard Dean after a loss like this). There is also no candidate like Obama who has set themselves up for 2020. Unless Trump can trigger a great recession and a new war by 2020, he is going to win re-election.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Spaced God posted:

Which, given the GOP majority, probably means that nothing Trump can do is an impeachable offense

He could decide he's a Democrat. That's about it though.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TyrantWD posted:

If Gabbard didn't quit the DNC because she was backing Bernie, you would probably be the first one making GBS threads on what is basically an alt-right Democrat.

I had no idea she quit the DNC, but thank you for making me like her even more.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Unless Trump can trigger a great recession and a new war by 2020, he is going to win re-election.

considering that hes surrounding himself with borderline psychopaths, unabashed pirates, neocons, and other assorted mutants, i wouldnt consider either of these terribly unlikely

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

TyrantWD posted:

What's sad is that an alt-right Democrat is still better than 95% of the establishment. At least she has a coherent ideology.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Only if you're a Democrat.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Is Obama still planning on doing that anti-gerrymandering campaign with Eric Holder or did he give up on that after the Trump win?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Is Obama still planning on doing that anti-gerrymandering campaign with Eric Holder or did he give up on that after the Trump win?
I'm sure he will. Obama does not strike me as a rest on his laurels kind of guy. Even if Michelle would like that just fine, thanks.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Oh poo poo better arm myself :tinfoil:

I thought you were a veteran? If Con Air taught me anything, it's that your hands are now legally considered deadly weapons.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Meanwhile, Pat McCrory is deploying every dirty trick in the book to stay in office despite losing his election, up to and including attempting to trigger a state law that throws contested elections into the General Assembly which would presumably vote in his favor.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

What's sad is that an alt-right Democrat is still better than 95% of the establishment. At least she has a coherent ideology.
Give me a triangulating Chuck Schumer over an coherent bigot any day of the week (and even then she is not that coherent or consistent and flip-flopped harder than most establishment Democrats on LGBT issues).

paranoid randroid posted:

considering that hes surrounding himself with borderline psychopaths, unabashed pirates, neocons, and other assorted mutants, i wouldnt consider either of these terribly unlikely

I'd say we are likely to get either a war, or a recession - but I don't think one of those alone will sink him in 2020. Both need to be going full swing in November 2020 for a Democrat to win.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

haveblue posted:

Meanwhile, Pat McCrory is deploying every dirty trick in the book to stay in office despite losing his election, up to and including attempting to trigger a state law that throws contested elections into the General Assembly which would presumably vote in his favor.

Dude's gone from Mayor McCheese to the Hamburglar.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

zegermans posted:

That's some pretty rough economic anxiety.

Don't worry. Nothing matters. In 100 years global warming will raise the oceans' acidity enough to kill plankton and destroy the cycle that produces 2/3 of the world's oxygen.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Visiting family in Mississippi for Thanksgiving (UGH) and even the most insane, die-hard Trump supporters and Republicans out of them want to get rid of gerrymandering. Hell, some want to get rid of the Electoral College. The right wing spin machine hasn't gotten to the issue yet so I expect their minds will miraculously change but it does speak to how it instinctively resonates with people.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

TyrantWD posted:

Give me a triangulating Chuck Schumer over an coherent bigot any day of the week (and even then she is not that coherent or consistent and flip-flopped harder than most establishment Democrats on LGBT issues).

You mean the guy that voted for DOMA?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm not a fan of purity tests, but Gabbard is an opportunistic neutral-to-left populist, not someone who should ever be held up as a progressive darling. That said, it's a huge stretch to call her "alt-right", and Tulsi Gabbard in a Trump administration is certainly a win considering the shitheads he's been appointing. And frankly, I hope she gets one of those spots, because it'll end her career and we can replace her with people who are reliable votes on both left(ish) economics and minority issues.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

haveblue posted:

Clearly this would be the perfect time to investigate and prove voter fraud that's totally real.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

And created the Omnibus Crime Bill?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xand_Man posted:

Even if he packs the court clamping down on freedom of the press will be a hard sell.

Not really, no. The thing about "freedom of the press" is that it's largely rooted in tradition rather than hard law, and what little is actually written down is full of loopholes. If Trump wants to boot reporters out of the White House, publicly threaten media outlets, and secretly investigate the media for crimes, there's nothing to really stop him other than potential public outrage, and 2016 was a big wakeup call for anyone who thought that existed in sufficient quantities to matter.

An "impeachable offense" is whatever Congress decides is impeachable. I doubt blatant corruption is going to qualify this term.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

I thought the general understanding was DOMA was to head off an amendment?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

TyrantWD posted:

I'd say we are likely to get either a war, or a recession - but I don't think one of those alone will sink him in 2020. Both need to be going full swing in November 2020 for a Democrat to win.

If the coming financial deregulation causes another financial clusterfuck( auto loan derivatives bubble this time) soon enough, it could do the trick. Really the whole market seems overvalued, but the central banks are QE'ing as fast as possible to keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Better that than claim to be under attack by the "gay agenda".

• Locked thread