Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Professor Shark posted:

To be fair, Carol Off is a beast and would have torn him to shreds anyway. I have no idea why politicians agree to go on air with her, she lures them in with her nice lady act and plays with them like a cat with a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
That picture makes more sense here than in the original context.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
My mistake was reading the comments below that article.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Leitch was very fighty on the Sunday Edition this weekend; very American.

Off should just go whole hog on being our Jeremy Paxman, without being, you know, Jeremy Paxman.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Professor Shark posted:

To be fair, Carol Off is a beast and would have torn him to shreds anyway. I have no idea why politicians agree to go on air with her, she lures them in with her nice lady act and plays with them like a cat with a mouse.

:agreed: her and rosemary barton are great.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
The PBO created a really cool tool at https://www.readyreckoner.ca to calculate the impact that changes taxes would have on the federal budget. It will create a neat little report for you.

I increased corporate taxes and the GST, lowered taxes and raised exemptions for lower-income earners, and increased taxes on higher-income earners and increased annual revenue by $8b!

How is this hard, Canada? We handled the GST at 7% just fine.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I was always under the assumption that taxes like the GST were actually regressive and hurt the poor disproportionately harder, do I have it backwards?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Hexigrammus posted:

Lots to learn there. New Zealand looks like it's been relatively advanced in its treatment of indigenous and female voters. (Or perhaps, less awful.) I guess we can still feel smug about Australia.

The Maori carved themselves out a much better deal than most indigenous peoples in colonized Commonwealth countries largely because they were good at aggressively resisting colonization and British military action, I wouldn't chalk it up to the benevolent Kiwi.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The good thing about the GST is it's the best way to get the wealthy to actually pay tax.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

I was always under the assumption that taxes like the GST were actually regressive and hurt the poor disproportionately harder, do I have it backwards?

Yep, GST is awesome because poor people think it's grabbing a lot of money from the relatively few rich people when actually it's grabbing lots of tiny smidgens from the middle poor. You can test this with the tool by lowering GST to 3% and then trying to recoup that amount with income tax hikes on the rich, see how close you can get.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a good way to target sales taxes at the rich? Taxes on yachts, private submarines and the like?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Duck Rodgers posted:

Is there a good way to target sales taxes at the rich? Taxes on yachts, private submarines and the like?

You don't need luxury taxes to target the rich, just estate and capital gains taxes.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 21, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I am enjoying being correct as every single progressive policy proposal by the LPC is being ditched.

We are going to legislate tax fairness and end loopholes for executive stock options.

No.

Okay.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's worthwhile for the wealthy to make every effort to avoid it. Not so much the average person.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Australia has a luxury tax on cars worth a certain ammount, so a base model BMW 3 series is $44,000, but if you add $2000 worth of options it's $66,000. We could probably work out something similar. A 20% tax on any single item worth $5,000 or more, car worth $50,000 or more, or house worth $500,000 or more. But then you would need an organized, competent enforcement branch, and i would personally be surprised if the majority of current revenue canada employees dress themselves in the morning.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Duck Rodgers posted:

Income, cap gains, estate.

Sales taxes are regressive and easily dodged.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
here's an idea: increase estate taxes on amounts over 500k; this would be a huge source of revenue

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
90% tax on any income made over 500k

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The finance minister just introduced bill C-27 to put more people's pension money into his own pocket, so i can't imagine there's going to be anything done any time soon.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Landsknecht posted:

here's an idea: increase estate taxes on amounts over 500k; this would be a huge source of revenue

Yeah there is going to be a huge transfer of wealth from boomers to their kids in the next 20 years. Income inequality will be entrenched for another generation we don't increase estate taxes.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Yes, consumption taxes are regressive, but there are simple ways of offsetting that through rebates. Why not just raise the rebate for the GST for people making below a certain amount (like you can do in that calculator)? Raising consumption taxes discourages consumption, which is environmentally beneficial.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GST is bad and regressive.

Drop corporate taxes significantly, increase income taxes, estate taxes and capital gains taxes significantly.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Thanks to daddy's money and connections we have a millionaire substitute teacher as a Prime Minister. We sure as hell aren't going to end the free transfer of wealth between generations under his watch.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Jordan7hm posted:

GST is bad and regressive.

Drop corporate taxes significantly, increase income taxes, estate taxes and capital gains taxes significantly.

The Scandinavian model is pretty good imo

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Health Services posted:

Yes, consumption taxes are regressive, but there are simple ways of offsetting that through rebates. Why not just raise the rebate for the GST for people making below a certain amount (like you can do in that calculator)? Raising consumption taxes discourages consumption, which is environmentally beneficial.

gently caress rebates and gently caress tax credits. Those are even more regressive because when you look at who uses that poo poo it's all upper class people because poor people often don't do their taxes, don't know what's available and don't have time to budget and seek out free money. Meanwhile rich people plan their lives around every single government provided source of free money. drat sure they are collecting every rebate and credit they can find.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
up transfer taxes significantly on non-commercial property over $1mil, and work to remove loopholes

mortgage downpayments should be like 20%, instead of 5%, to cool the property market

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

cowofwar posted:

gently caress rebates and gently caress tax credits. Those are even more regressive because when you look at who uses that poo poo it's all upper class people because poor people often don't do their taxes, don't know what's available and don't have time to budget and seek out free money. Meanwhile rich people plan their lives around every single government provided source of free money. drat sure they are collecting every rebate and credit they can find.

That seems to be a question of implementation. Making GST rebates automatic could solve the issues you discussed. Just because a tool isn't currently working in the direction you want doesn't mean it should be scrapped and thrown out. But in general yes, the proliferation of boutique tax credits and rebates under the previous government was harmful and a bad direction.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

cowofwar posted:

I'm by no means rich, but since I've been using up my tuition tax credits, and maxing out RRSP contributions, I've found it very easy to get large income tax refunds; next march I'll probably get around 5k

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's funny how many phrases and things that used to be fairly neutral or "used by both sides" have been decided are "alt-right buzzwords" and anyone who uses them are crypto-fascist secret trump supporters. I actually first heard "virtue signalling" entirely in leftist circles. Like someone would be rolling their eyes that a local developer known for being a right wing climate change denying piece of garbage was happy to greenwash the poo poo out of his new condo marketing as a form of virtue-signalling. It was usually always used in the context of calling out cynical marketing or attempts by lovely people to find the easiest/cheapest cause to attach them selves to earn some points or distract the public from something far more serious or expensive to fix. Like a company that was in the news for workplace sexual harassment or dumping toxic chemicals, things that could end up costing them millions, then going and spending thousands on a social media campaign letting everyone know they've now made all their bathrooms that were already pretty much gender neutral OFFICIALLY gender neutral because Toxocorp is always willing to take a stand and do the right thing see look how progressive we are please ignore our alleged toxic dumping and CEO rape scandals our marketing department says declaring this will successfully signal we're one of the good guys!!!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Baronjutter posted:

It's funny how many phrases and things that used to be fairly neutral or "used by both sides" have been decided are "alt-right buzzwords" and anyone who uses them are crypto-fascist secret trump supporters. I actually first heard "virtue signalling" entirely in leftist circles. Like someone would be rolling their eyes that a local developer known for being a right wing climate change denying piece of garbage was happy to greenwash the poo poo out of his new condo marketing as a form of virtue-signalling. It was usually always used in the context of calling out cynical marketing or attempts by lovely people to find the easiest/cheapest cause to attach them selves to earn some points or distract the public from something far more serious or expensive to fix. Like a company that was in the news for workplace sexual harassment or dumping toxic chemicals, things that could end up costing them millions, then going and spending thousands on a social media campaign letting everyone know they've now made all their bathrooms that were already pretty much gender neutral OFFICIALLY gender neutral because Toxocorp is always willing to take a stand and do the right thing see look how progressive we are please ignore our alleged toxic dumping and CEO rape scandals our marketing department says declaring this will successfully signal we're one of the good guys!!!

Take a breath.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

Nice meltdown but :capitalism:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Risky Bisquick posted:

Nice meltdown but :capitalism:

All my posting is certified GMO free and 1% of the profits I make from you reading my posts goes towards the human fund (money for people). Think about that next time you don't like a post of mine.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Landsknecht posted:

I'm by no means rich, but since I've been using up my tuition tax credits, and maxing out RRSP contributions, I've found it very easy to get large income tax refunds; next march I'll probably get around 5k

Look at this 1%er who has revenue to spare to max out RRSP contributions.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Landsknecht posted:

Same here, just a regular guy who maxes RRSP, tuition credits and sets up a very common family trust corp to dividend out income to family members and evenly distribute lifetime capital gains exemptions from sale of capital. Who we really need to target are the rich people with mansions and fancy cars and chinese accents.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Same here, just a regular guy who maxes RRSP, tuition credits and sets up a very common family trust corp to dividend out income to family members and evenly distribute lifetime capital gains exemptions from sale of capital. Who we really need to target are the rich people with mansions and fancy cars and chinese accents.

Ahhh, so you're an upper middle class white Richmond BC resident!

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Yeah there is going to be a huge transfer of wealth from boomers to their kids in the next 20 years. Income inequality will be entrenched for another generation we don't increase estate taxes.

On a 20 year timeframe I'm pretty confident that the Canadian housing market will have imploded spectacularly, so there's hope here!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blah_blah posted:

On a 20 year timeframe I'm pretty confident that the Canadian housing market will have imploded spectacularly, so there's hope here!

Sure, but will it have imploded more or less spectacularly than the rest of the economy?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Powershift posted:

The finance minister just introduced bill C-27 to put more people's pension money into his own pocket, so i can't imagine there's going to be anything done any time soon.

Funny how these things work. I believe B.C. used to have significant estate taxes back in the day. They were changed in time for Premier Bill Bennett to inherit his ex-Premier father W.A.C. Bennett's fortune.

At the time of the change B.C. had the richest, most poorly educated provincial cabinet in Canada, so guess their priorities shouldn't have been a surprise. Even the premier left school after Grade 10 because he was too impatient to stay and wait to make his own pile. Remember kids, if you're not using your fancy education to make a fortune you are an untermensch.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Same here, just a regular guy working with a private investment management team trying to figure out how to structure my different classes of assets to create legal tax advantages for my portfolio

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

If you can max out your rrsp limit every year, you are rich, hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Sure, but will it have imploded more or less spectacularly than the rest of the economy?

You're saying this like housing isn't most of the economy.