Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Low stance with two swords does for those crawling zombo guys pretty well, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its very dumb that the rewards are both helmets

i can't wear both at once.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am now bitter that I missed the alpha.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I don't think I ever got the beta to recognize that I had played the alpha and I don't think it ever managed to find the beta reward download when it loaded the store so I'm probably not going to get either

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Even though they're awesome helmets, I was hoping for some actual content.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad they didn't put actual content behind something that impossible for me to get now.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
When you summon a William with the helmets you know you either have a quality player, or one that I carried through to undeserved rewards.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Real hurthling! posted:

Its very dumb that the rewards are both helmets

i can't wear both at once.

Well, not with that attitude. :colbert:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Belzac posted:

A reason to use low stance? My feedback was worth it!

Low stance already let you ki-pulse on combo enders, so there was a reason to use it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Low stance already let you ki-pulse on combo enders, so there was a reason to use it.

Not that I can check anymore, but I thought one of the changes from the alpha to the beta was that they took that bonus off of low stance and put it on high stance? So now you can just use it on both.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Pretty sure high stance had ki-pulse on rolls (to balance out the rolls being expensive and fixed distance) and low stance had ki-pulse on combo enders to balance out bad damage on regular attacks. Mid stance had....flexibility on the dodge-roll hybrid I guess (and the awesome quickdraw)? I know I used the dual-sword low stance a lot because getting the great dual sword combo ender for free was amazing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLW04LUUYls

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 6, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Oh poo poo Kusarigama! If that counts as a weapon and isn't just a ninja skill visual the ninja progression issues are solved (and if it is a weapon, I expect Magic is going to get a weapon too to solve the same progression problems).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Policenaut posted:

The rewards for clearing the alpha and the beta have been revealed. Another neat feature is that the game has a vanity system for its gear, so you can change your good stat gear to look like any other gear you want while keeping the stats intact!

You can watch the recorded stream here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD29IDN-m1I

The most important part of this news is that Nioh will have a ~TRANSMOG SYSTEM~

Ultimate Fashion Souls

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

DatonKallandor posted:

Taking the quick fast stance and give it a ki pulse on a combo ender and then taking the slow powerful stance and giving it a ki pulse on a dodge makes the two stances play opposite of their archetype.

The quick fast stance is about going suicidal and the slow heavy stance is about being dodgy and safe. The stances and ki pulse assignments were at odds with each other.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 6, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DatonKallandor posted:

Pretty sure high stance had ki-pulse on rolls (to balance out the rolls being expensive and fixed distance) and low stance had ki-pulse on combo enders to balance out bad damage on regular attacks. Mid stance had....flexibility on the dodge-roll hybrid I guess (and the awesome quickdraw)? I know I used the dual-sword low stance a lot because getting the great dual sword combo ender for free was amazing.

Mid stance let you regen ki while guarding, which you can't do with the other stances. the quickdraw works for any stance

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Regen while guarding makes a lot of sense for mid stance, that's cool. I'd disagree with high stance being rewarded for playing safe as a problem - when your attacks are very slow and hit very hard it makes sense to poke to exploit an opening then get out again, because you don't need that many hits to win. Low stance being all offense also seems sensible when your attacks are really weak - you'll need a lot of them, so rewarding you for finishing your combo chains by letting you keep sounds perfectly logical.

But then so much changes between Nioh tests I doubt most of that is still true.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ki pulse on low combo enders felt pointless because low attacks eat up tiny amounts of ki so you were getting almost nothing back.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

DatonKallandor posted:

Regen while guarding makes a lot of sense for mid stance, that's cool. I'd disagree with high stance being rewarded for playing safe as a problem - when your attacks are very slow and hit very hard it makes sense to poke to exploit an opening then get out again, because you don't need that many hits to win. Low stance being all offense also seems sensible when your attacks are really weak - you'll need a lot of them, so rewarding you for finishing your combo chains by letting you keep sounds perfectly logical.

But then so much changes between Nioh tests I doubt most of that is still true.

The problem is unless you're doing a gimmick run High Stance One Attack Dodge Back Pulse was the most powerful strategy on every enemy in the game. So unless you're styling, you just do that.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Oh my god I am so excited for this game. I played the beta and immediately fell in love, I love how team ninja handles their combat and combos.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Ki pulse on low combo enders felt pointless because low attacks eat up tiny amounts of ki so you were getting almost nothing back.

Not if you're wearing heavy armor! Heavy armor eats a ton of ki. Probably too much, but then you get a ton of survivability out of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmWLRNmFlgw

Another boss video that I watch and I'm simultaneously like "I could do better than that" and then I remember playing the beta myself and simply loving up in other ways.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Kusarigama is a regular weapon but you get samurai points not ninja points from it. Really hoping that changes before release.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

every website and random youtuber put up new preview videos today, I think rolling in any stance ki pulses now.

another live stream on friday, 10:00pm JST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5jfoMh__9s

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 17, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DatonKallandor posted:

Kusarigama is a regular weapon but you get samurai points not ninja points from it. Really hoping that changes before release.

Not sure what your point is. Samurai points are for upgrading weapons, don't worry about the name.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

My point is you can't really go for a ninja or mage build because unlike Samurai there's no way to get those points without spending level-ups or (presumably, going by the playable builds) rare consumables. Making weapons like the Kusarigama give Ninja points the same way swords/axes/spears give samurai points fixes that problem neatly.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Japan is getting a final demo this weekend, January 21-22. They'll probably announce it for the west later today. It'll be one last chance to earn the rewards from the last two, and there will be a new reward too.

Alpha reward

Beta reward

e: confirmed for all regions now, preload for demo goes up this afternoon

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 18, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nioh-to-get-pvp-mode-as-a-free-update-after-launch

Nioh going to get PvP eventually

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I am all over that demo as soon as it's launched, gotta get those dlcs.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Hopefully it won't be bugged and I can redeem them properly. I got the bat helmet from the beta demo but the oni mask that came from the first boss didn't apply to my account properly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

drat, did not expect once more chance to play Nioh prior to the full release. Looking forward to seeing what mechanics changes they've made this time, and what the new content is. Definitely prefer that hannya mask to the other two.

Also PVP being added to the game, assuming it works well, pretty much confirms Nioh will be my GOTY if not GOAT.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really excited for that kusarigama reveal, that looks fun as hell.

I really have no idea what weapon I'm going to focus on. Swords seem reliable, kusarigama seem really fun, and I know spears are fun from the demos. And do I want to pair that with onmyou magic or pumping up my spirit so I can do more awesome totem spirit stuff?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 19, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If they didn't change the movesets then Spears will still be an extremely safe option, while Dual-swords will be the highest DPS, Axes will be high burst damage, and I don't know what Swords excel at, if anything.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Whoever came up with that retarded hype mongering demo scheme needs to go.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, it sucks that a company is confident enough in its product to unveil it to the public for a good length of time multiple times. They should be more like Bethesda and not let you see anything but trailers until the release.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, it sucks that a company is confident enough in its product to unveil it to the public for a good length of time multiple times. They should be more like Bethesda and not let you see anything but trailers until the release.

It's also horrible they used a beta for actual intended purpose, even stripping a whole mechanic out of the game that was hated by everyone everywhere, while improving on and showing off more and better stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They're just hats dude.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

It's also horrible they used a beta for actual intended purpose, even stripping a whole mechanic out of the game that was hated by everyone everywhere, while improving on and showing off more and better stuff.

This game looks amazing and I kick myself for missing out on the first two tryouts, what got removed? Why was it so hated?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cainer posted:

This game looks amazing and I kick myself for missing out on the first two tryouts, what got removed? Why was it so hated?

Durability as a mechanic was pulled out entirely, because all it did was make your weapons wear down into smoking stumps in no time at all, which led to you either keeping a billion repair items always or you just ran on a permanent treadmill of get weapon, use weapon to death, get weapon, use weapon to death and so on. They greatly improved it by taking that out wholesale instead of trying to just change it when it'd still be an annoying and lame addition regardless, then just lowered the total weapon drops to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cainer posted:

item durabilty. because :cmon: