Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah it's great not having to have an otherwise useless pokemon on the team just to have cut, strength, whatever.

you were allowed to have hms spread between team members before. it was allowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

oddium posted:

You could but it would frequently interfere with people running the teams they actually enjoyed to do it that way. That's the whole reason the practice of "fob it all off to a single HM slave to minimize fuckery with the rest of the team" developed.

HMs were bad game design and directly encouraged unfun gameplay.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

oddium posted:

to be fair, Gen IV was the absolute nadir of HMs with 8 you had to work onto your team. That's 2 entire pokemon's movepools.

also it meant you always had to have a water type since surf was so ubiquitous.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Zore posted:

to be fair, Gen IV was the absolute nadir of HMs with 8 you had to work onto your team. That's 2 entire pokemon's movepools.

Surf is a legit good move though. And the games are packed with water types. It was never a problem.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vegetable posted:

Surf is a legit good move though. And the games are packed with water types. It was never a problem.

It was if you wanted to use a physical water type though.

And there are a fuckton of physical water types.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The way Ride Pokemon are integrated fits extremely well with the theme of Alola. kind of hope that the Gen IV remakes keep that function in because there shouldn't be any going back

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Zore posted:

Can't wait for the remakes where it's still the same

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zore posted:

It was if you wanted to use a physical water type though.

And there are a fuckton of physical water types.

Particularly since that gen was the advent of the physical/special split.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Agreed with this for sure. Fly (for single player) and Waterfall are fine too.

But fuckin what were they...defog? Flash?

You can't tell me anyone replaying any gen that has flash does anything except use an online map to get through those caves

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I got a couple hours into X a couple of months ago to tide me over for Sun/Moon. Now I can't find the dang case and want to sell it back to get some credit...do any of you have experience selling unboxed games to Gamestop?

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

My pikachu has Nasty Plot, which "sharply" raises Sp Attack. But I also have a TM for an electric move that has a chance to raise Sp Attack. Just how good is it to sharply raise a stat?

Edit: also how good is it to sharply raise evasiveness

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

You could but it would frequently interfere with people running the teams they actually enjoyed to do it that way. That's the whole reason the practice of "fob it all off to a single HM slave to minimize fuckery with the rest of the team" developed.

HMs were bad game design and directly encouraged unfun gameplay.

yeah when i gotta give my hawlucha strength instead of flying press/peck/wing attack/brick break... why even use it you know

anyway the change is good but it was never anything more than meme problem

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

FAT BATMAN posted:

My pikachu has Nasty Plot, which "sharply" raises Sp Attack. But I also have a TM for an electric move that has a chance to raise Sp Attack. Just how good is it to sharply raise a stat?

It is very, very, very good

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

FAT BATMAN posted:

Edit: also how good is it to sharply raise evasiveness

I believe "sharply" just means it raises twice

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FAT BATMAN posted:

Basically, there are 6 stages you can go up or down when raising or lowering a stat. Raising 'sharply' means it raises 2 stages instead of 1.

Each stage is a 50% increase or decrease. Sharply raising your stat literally doubles it.

Also be sure to try to steal a Light Ball for Pikachu. If it holds one, it gets its Attack and Special Attack doubled before you do any raising (which can make it go further). This gives it some of the highest attacking stats in the game. This is also why the unique Pikachu Z-Crystals suck, nothing is worth giving up Light Ball for.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 21, 2016

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012

Solumin posted:

Maybe they just don't work in sun/moon?

The codes only work in Gen 6 (XY and ORAS)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Carlosologist posted:

The way Ride Pokemon are integrated fits extremely well with the theme of Alola. kind of hope that the Gen IV remakes keep that function in because there shouldn't be any going back

Ride replacements in the gen IV remakes:

Charizard → Togekiss
Lapras → Empoleon
Sharpedo → Garchomp
Stoutland → Probopass
Tauros → Mow Rotom
Mudsdale → Hippowdon
Machamp → Ambipom

less laughter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 21, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

mow rotom mow problems

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Has anyone crunched any numbers about why I would want to hatch eggs on Isle Avue instead of just running around with them?

I guess like, "I have a life to live and I don't want to run around for hours with 5 eggs at a time to get a shiny"

Yeah nm my original question Isle Avue owns

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

oddium posted:

Wasting a move spot with cut is bad ok :colbert:

I never minded surf though, my water monster SHOULD bury your stupid geodude in a tidal wave

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

At least hatching eggs in this is more convenient than it ever was, tho still busy work. You can just go in that little fenced in area just below the daycare, hop on Tauros and charge in circles. Stuff hatches so quick

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Being as real as possible I can't imagine buying any game that goes back to the boring rear end 8 gym layout. Like I fully admit I'm probably the only one but Sun/Moon was such a wonderful shot in the arm for plot progression that going back to the old path would be a straight downgrade in every way to me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

Some of the totem fights get absolutely dirty/

Its great!

The totem fight I just did was crazy fun. My team wasn't fully healed when I started it, and I just bred my full ghost team so most of them were very underleveled. I can't wait till we get the good TMs, Sand Tomb is my only ground move and it's been MVP all island. I kind of like the totem trials more than a normal gym battle, especially since nobody in this game uses more than 2 pokemon on their own.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Has anyone crunched any numbers about why I would want to hatch eggs on Isle Avue instead of just running around with them?

I guess like, "I have a life to live and I don't want to run around for hours with 5 eggs at a time to get a shiny"

Yeah nm my original question Isle Avue owns

What? Just hop on Tauros in that little fenced in 1 tile spot and charge in circles. Takes like a 2-3 minutes tops for most shits to hatch, plus you can stock up on surplus eggs really fast as well. I'd rather run in circles for a few minutes than walk around with less pokemon and a buncha eggs.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 21, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Thanks for the bug troper

np :-)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

someone awful. posted:

At least hatching eggs in this is more convenient than it ever was, tho still busy work. You can just go in that little fenced in area just below the daycare, hop on Tauros and charge in circles. Stuff hatches so quick

Between this and Hyper Training my only mechanical beef with SuMo is I miss Reset Bags :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yo, anyone want to trade em ups for a Honedge? I'd do it on the GTS but I cant find a QR code for him.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Khanstant posted:

Yo, anyone want to trade em ups for a Honedge? I'd do it on the GTS but I cant find a QR code for him.
You can get any pokemon on the GTS, even if you don't have it registered.
Just go to "What Pokemon?" on the bottom and type it in.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Got my female totodile in c word cave

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

I don't think you can get Honedge without hacking right now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Between this and Hyper Training my only mechanical beef with SuMo is I miss Reset Bags :(

The Berry island is pretty great and I have started sowing nothing but EV down berries.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zore posted:

It's an island scan pokemon.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zore posted:

Island Scan

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zore posted:

There is apparently a QR trick to legally inserting 1 pokemon a day not normally in the game.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

There is apparently a QR trick to legally inserting 1 pokemon a day not normally in the game.

What's this now?

Zore posted:

That only shows up on Wednesday, so almost everyone who could have one (people who got the game early) got banned from trading it.

hahha oh man

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

It's an island scan pokemon.

That only shows up on Wednesday, so almost everyone who could have one (people who got the game early) got banned from trading it.

Unless someone happened to set the date off. But changing it now locks you out of Island Scan for a few days.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They should make a new Light Ball that boosts ALL of Pikachu's stats, straight into legendary levels. It also disintegrates any thunder stones that you try to use on him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

You can get any pokemon on the GTS, even if you don't have it registered.
Just go to "What Pokemon?" on the bottom and type it in.

Thanks homie!

Poke PElago kind of sucks for leveling pokemon compared to the old daycare it seems. Plus this daycare doesn't give experience at all which forces you into it but dang. 40 xp per session?

edit: How do you check what day it is in-game? I know my 3DS clock is likely on some random future date and time because of Animal Crossing. I know it's night/day switched for me for the most part. edit2: Oh wait durr, 3ds home button lol. what p yall its monday, january 24th

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 21, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Seriously, where is this drat Scald TM, I'm just blind and I want to burn some pokemon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://twitter.com/DocHobo/status/800460266047557632

Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The trials and gyms systems aren't especially far removed from each other. Definitely didn't change the entire game up for me. I'd probably rather have gyms if they give them interesting team comps and AI though, rather than what ultimately boils down to an artificially tougher Pokemon and a lovely little helper.

The settings for the trials are pretty good, especially the Ghost one.

I don't really feel Alola as a setting, nor Hawaiian themed things which is probably partly because I'm not from the US. Kalos and Unova were better "not Japan" settings to me.

e:
^ Explains the poo poo framerates. Get your poo poo together GF, christ.