Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

negromancer posted:

Just watched Suicide Squad.

It wasn't that bad.

Sure as hell wasn't good either.

Dat Waller tho :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

McCloud posted:

Sure as hell wasn't good either.

Dat Waller tho :allears:

Viola Davis is a national treasure.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Agreed, Waller for president IMO.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Can they replace Leto with someone who won't send a box of bullets to Viola Davis?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Have ya'll seen the new Harry Potter spinoff movie? It's nice that it made an effort in having a more diverse cast.
I think the main character has aspergers and the president of magic USA is a black woman. All in all an enjoyable fun movie with some real creepy moments. I liked it and I'm not a big potter guy.

Also saw dr strange but that was pretty meh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Quorum posted:

Agreed, Waller for president IMO.

Eh.

Waller would have the most Right wing conservative rear end conservative foreign policy in the history of right wing conservatives. Though to be fair she probably hates Black people and women less than other conservatives. But everything's all well and good until she starts a secret program cloning Super Osama Bin Laden's to combat islam.

Lex would probably make for a better president tbh. Just gotta have a chief of staff with enough pull on him to prevent him from doing petty and evil poo poo out of his hatred of Superman.

"Dude maybe don't spend all this goddamn taxpayer money on the development of a Kryptonite super cannon"

McCloud posted:

Have ya'll seen the new Harry Potter spinoff movie? It's nice that it made an effort in having a more diverse cast.
I think the main character has aspergers and the president of magic USA is a black woman. All in all an enjoyable fun movie with some real creepy moments. I liked it and I'm not a big potter guy.

Also saw dr strange but that was pretty meh

Haven't seen that movie. Will get around to it sometime this week probably

I loved Strange though. It's the only Marvel movie with a good and cool villain defeat. Also pretty interesting visually. Barebones plot but executed as well as it could be. Could do with less quips tho.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 21, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Didn't Luthor make Waller Secretary of State when he was president?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In regards to representation, I've been paying much closer attention to people of color in not just TV shows but also TV commercials and how they are portrayed.

Also people on Facebook bitching about how the musical Hamilton was racist for allegedly not letting white people audition :suicide:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Superman IV is gonna hold onto the title of "Worst Supers Film" for a long long time.

Are we not considering The Spirit a superhero film? Might also be Samuel L. Jackson's worst.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Koalas March posted:

Viola Davis is a national treasure.

Don't disagree there, but I wish they had cast a bigger woman as Waller. I love that character, and even had an old boss who looked dead on for the comic version.

there wolf posted:

Are we not considering The Spirit a superhero film? Might also be Samuel L. Jackson's worst.

Sam Jackson made that movie amusing to watch, even as it was garbage otherwise.

That and Scarlett Johannsen was disturbingly attractive in a terrifying uniform.

Talmonis fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 21, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Meh. I'm glad they went Viola Davis and at least had an older black woman play the part.

New 52 Waller was terrible. and while CCH Pounder will always be the One True Waller. Viola Davis did a really good and admirable job in an otherwise disappointing movie.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Didn't Luthor make Waller Secretary of State when he was president?

Sure foreign policy wise he was a mess. But Like didn't he at some point just outright ban all fossil fuels.

So what if some aliens, metas or vigilantes had to take a few L's.

Maybe if Superman didn't bring that Kryptonite asteroid to earth we wouldn't have to be so tough on super predator aliens.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 21, 2016

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Honestly that whole storyline was a goldmine for interesting stories to explore, but ended up as a big ol' nothingburger. They did nothing interesting with Prez Lex. Shame.

Anyway, that story was too farfetched even for comics. No way would a famous billionaire supervillian ever become the president of the United states!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Forceholy posted:

Green Lantern is my vote for worst superhero movie ever.

Hell, even Batman and Robin was entertaining in a campy train wreck kind of way.

I enjoyed Batman and Robin specifically for its campiness.

But I also know I'm filled with bad opinions about movies, like "Mortal Kombat: Armageddon isn't a bad movie."

McCloud posted:

Honestly that whole storyline was a goldmine for interesting stories to explore, but ended up as a big ol' nothingburger. They did nothing interesting with Prez Lex. Shame.

Anyway, that story was too farfetched even for comics. No way would a famous billionaire supervillian ever become the president of the United states!

Honestly I really do hope they make a Superman movie using the Injustice storyline. They hinted the poo poo out of it in Batman V Superman.

Sad that that best Superman put onto any screen small or big has been in a goddamn video game, and seeing a good Lex Luthor was odd.

What they should have done is use Max Landis' screenplay for a Superman movie. Holy poo poo that would have been incredible.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Been reading this thread for the last week, good to help me rethink some poo poo. I live in Macomb county but have never actually worked in it, and Michigan has always been a racist hell hole and I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

Keep it up guys, and any suggestions for how I can help as a reclusive white guy who only knows white people would be nice if you've got them. I've done my fair share of reading and sharing, but I'm sure I can do better :v:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

negromancer posted:

I enjoyed Batman and Robin specifically for its campiness.

But I also know I'm filled with bad opinions about movies, like "Mortal Kombat: Armageddon isn't a bad movie."

Honestly I really do hope they make a Superman movie using the Injustice storyline. They hinted the poo poo out of it in Batman V Superman.

Sad that that best Superman put onto any screen small or big has been in a goddamn video game, and seeing a good Lex Luthor was odd.

What they should have done is use Max Landis' screenplay for a Superman movie. Holy poo poo that would have been incredible.

As unpopular as this opinion might be outside CineD, I loved Snyders Superman, hell I loved BvS period! It's a well thought out movie that explores just how badly the world would react to a messiah returning to earth, and it has a rich billionaire go full on right wing extremist after aliens cause space 9/11, even going so far as to paraphrase the Cheney doctrine. Much like a lot of americans, batman snaps, and is only redeemed through Supermans sacrifice.
I know some folks don't like the mopeyness of this Supes, but I think its fitting for him to be pensive and hesitant. Everytime he tries to help he causes an international incident, and has to consider if he really should be helping people since everytime he does humanity at large either freaks out or starts worshiping him.

It's a great film, even if a bit clumsy at places, but for my money it's the most interesting movie featuring capes since Nolans the dark knight.

Edit: Also come on guys, the worst superhero movie is clearly Catwoman. I meam come on.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Death Bot posted:

Been reading this thread for the last week, good to help me rethink some poo poo. I live in Macomb county but have never actually worked in it, and Michigan has always been a racist hell hole and I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

Keep it up guys, and any suggestions for how I can help as a reclusive white guy who only knows white people would be nice if you've got them. I've done my fair share of reading and sharing, but I'm sure I can do better :v:

Aren't the Humans of New York people doing interviews for people in Malcomb county? The name sounded familiar.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Panfilo posted:

Aren't the Humans of New York people doing interviews for people in Malcomb county? The name sounded familiar.

Yes they are (I live right at the corner of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties). HONY's fetishization of the poor, poor white people in Macomb county is dumb as hell.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Yes they are (I live right at the corner of Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties). HONY's fetishization of the poor, poor white people in Macomb county is dumb as hell.

Don't read the comments on Facebook :negative:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Panfilo posted:

The posts are bad enough honestly. Several of them are torso shots instead of bust shots like they usually are, I'm assuming because the white woman saying that Muslims are planning something and just want to take all the businesses (how???) realizes just how hosed up that is to say

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Excuse me, realizes that it isn't Politically Correct.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Panfilo posted:

I know better'n that.

Death Bot posted:

The posts are bad enough honestly. Several of them are torso shots instead of bust shots like they usually are, I'm assuming because the white woman saying that Muslims are planning something and just want to take all the businesses (how???) realizes just how hosed up that is to say

Same with the old white guy carrying the flag who doesn't believe in racism. Name and shame that poo poo, HONY.

What's hilarious is that I can almost guarantee I know what/who she's talking about, and all those people are Chaldeans. You know, Iraqi Christians?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What the gently caress does any of this have to do with black people. Can everybody stop using the two black threads, aka the mod-decreed only place black posters are allowed to post in D&D, as catchall threads for whatever you want to talk about?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negromancer posted:

Just watched Suicide Squad.

It wasn't that bad.

I just watched this last night too and absolutely hated it. It was an absolute mess on a plot level and they were hoping sleight of hand with quirky characters would save it.

Viola Davis' character was pointlessly vindictive and evil for the sake of it, she literally creates her own problem with her dumb plan and in general I thought it was kind of weird and bad that they decided to make the black woman "mission control" character also effectively the main villain.

The whole Native American magic thing was also massively hosed up and Diablo becoming Aztec fire god literally with no warming or set up was baffling.

Edit: also in retrospect Will Smith was way too famous and moderately old for that role. Every scene he was in took me right out of the movie because he's the only recognizable actor and he's basically playing "Will Smith but tired" and it was kind of weird. The rest of the cast was mostly white as hell though so the movie would've suffered from his absence.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 21, 2016

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Death Bot posted:

any suggestions for how I can help as a reclusive white guy who only knows white people would be nice if you've got them. I've done my fair share of reading and sharing, but I'm sure I can do better :v:

Repeating the end of my original post. I've been to protests when possible, I'll talk politics and racism to anyone who cares to listen, I read and share plenty on social media, I even donated $10 to the aclu a week or two ago even though I'm broke as hell.

I'm just incredibly white and not incredibly social, and I notice more and more that all my friends are white and all their friends are white. I want to keep helping if I can.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

A bit more on topic then, but still a potential mindfield.

Regarding dating preferences. We've talked a lot about when your preferences are racist or fetishizing, but not so much on how to deal with with problematic attractions
Obviously, if you won't even consider dating or sleeping with a PoC (or say things like 'you look good for a X) then you got a racist hangup. I guess I have two follow up questions.

Sexual attraction has physical and psychological components. If a person realises he had a racial hang up, but is otherwise openminded and non-racist what is he supposed to do? Like, how is it different from another person who is only attracted to fit people or other physical attributes, like height, in the sense that he won't find partners who don't fullfill his criteria attractive?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McCloud posted:

A bit more on topic then, but still a potential mindfield.

Regarding dating preferences. We've talked a lot about when your preferences are racist or fetishizing, but not so much on how to deal with with problematic attractions
Obviously, if you won't even consider dating or sleeping with a PoC (or say things like 'you look good for a X) then you got a racist hangup. I guess I have two follow up questions.

Sexual attraction has physical and psychological components. If a person realises he had a racial hang up, but is otherwise openminded and non-racist what is he supposed to do? Like, how is it different from another person who is only attracted to fit people or other physical attributes, like height, in the sense that he won't find partners who don't fullfill his criteria attractive?

All I would ask that person to do is refrain from going around loudly declaring the people he's not personally attracted to as "unfuckable." This goes for everyone, really. Not only is it rude, but it's a big part of how racial bias in dating spreads. Once you hear enough times that black women are ugly your ability to mentally contradict that erodes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Everyone has preferences and their own tastes

The Second you start making your preferences and taste into a condemnation of anyone you aren't personally attracted to is when you run into a problem. Also try to avoid generalizing an entire group of people

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

All I would ask that person to do is refrain from going around loudly declaring the people he's not personally attracted to as "unfuckable." This goes for everyone, really. Not only is it rude, but it's a big part of how racial bias in dating spreads. Once you hear enough times that black women are ugly your ability to mentally contradict that erodes.

I think that sounds very reasonable. Whenever the issue comes up I always see the kneejerk response of "So what, I can't date who I want know?!" and the righteous indignation of that strawman. Like, no one is forcing you to date someone you're not attracted to, but there's a big loving line between that and some of the obnoxious comments some people put up on their dating/grindr/tindr profiles.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What the gently caress does any of this have to do with black people. Can everybody stop using the two black threads, aka the mod-decreed only place black posters are allowed to post in D&D, as catchall threads for whatever you want to talk about?

Sorry for starting the derail. The mention of that county pinged my memory and the comments in Facebook tried to suggest it was Pleasantville where racism didn't exist.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

McCloud posted:

The person should probably recognize that they have inherent racism that they're missing, and think about why. Like, a "racial hang-up" almost definitely has to be some kind of stereotype or racism, right? Either they have a specific reason (I don't like ____ because they all ___) or just unresolved racism (I just don't like _____ and I'm not sure why, not racist though!)

Addressing that and working to solve or mitigate those thought patterns and not being gross about it as TB suggests is probably the way to go here

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

Like I remember someone in middle school printed out a fake picture of a black goku and said it was a the leaked newest super sayin form and we thought it was so cool.

takes me back

there isnt a single black nerd who doesnt know what the gently caress dbz is

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 21, 2016

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Death Bot posted:

Repeating the end of my original post. I've been to protests when possible, I'll talk politics and racism to anyone who cares to listen, I read and share plenty on social media, I even donated $10 to the aclu a week or two ago even though I'm broke as hell.

I'm just incredibly white and not incredibly social, and I notice more and more that all my friends are white and all their friends are white. I want to keep helping if I can.

Something that got mentioned on a recent episode of Politically Re-active is SURJ, which is an anti-racism activist group for white people. Only don't read the page about how they chose their name, because holy poo poo.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I went to the gun store yesterday and holy poo poo it was a ton of black folks there waiting for either the gun safety course or to shoot. It was a 2 hour wait for the rifle range and like a 30 minute wait for the pistol range. I was going to go let off a few rounds before seeing Doctor Strange but drat.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
it is a good idea for people who are visible minorities in America to arm themselves right now, take down some bigots with you if the worst happens

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Socialists and POC's and such going all out on open carry and standing around places and generally doing all the poo poo right wing gun nuts do would probably do more for gun control than a thousand high profile school shootings.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
And that's getting away from the thread topic at hand.

I have an odd question. Do any of the black posters have an opinion on Vine shutting down?

there wolf fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 22, 2016

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

there wolf posted:

[strike] Worked in California. Anyone have any preference for non-lethal defense? I was thinking about one of those key chain pepper spray canisters.[/strike]

I have an odd question. Do any of the black posters have an opinion on Vine shutting down?

OC spray is good if you buy a reputable brand. Be aware that it is not magic, and not guaranteed to work even if you use it right. It is also going to get on you, and it loving sucks. If you have any difficulty breathing (asthma etc) I wouldn't recommend carrying it at all. Like any other tool it's only useful if you know what you're doing, so taking a class is recommended.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

there wolf posted:

I think it's a real shame! It was a great way for POC teens to explore sketch comedy. I guess it was inevitable though, since there was nothing about it a billion other companies couldn't do.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

there wolf posted:

In a way, I'm kind of happy it's shutting down due to the outright theft that was going on there. So many POC came up with so many creative ways to use 6 seconds and never got credit for it and when they did do something to go viral it was stolen and they never received credit. The biggest example would be Peaches Monroee and her On Fleek vine which blew up and she never received any compensation when entertainers and corporations started using the term to sell their products.

The Fader posted:

I know the line by heart. Such is the nature of internet virality. As of this writing, Kayla’s original “On Fleek” Vine has generated over 36 million “loops,” or replays. That’s where any sensible person stops the tabulation. A month after Newman’s upload, someone named Kevin Gadsden reposts her Vine to YouTube, where it acquires around 3 million views. The expression “on fleek” passes through the clutches of Ariana Grande, who vines herself singing it in August 2014 for another 9 million loops, and then through those of seemingly every other social media-literate celebrity outfit that fall; corporate entities like IHOP and its rivals employ the phrase in an effort to feign cultural relevance; talk show host Andy Cohen and Anderson Cooper exchange vaguely unpleasant jabs about its meaning. “On fleek” ascends to near-officialized language.

http://www.thefader.com/2015/12/03/on-fleek-peaches-monroee-meechie-viral-vines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My exposure to vines was pretty limited and mostly through other platforms like tumbler, but the big compilations everyone is doing now that it's shutting down feature a lot of POC. Was there a connection between POC and Vines in particular, or a POC/black community within the community like black twitter?

• Locked thread