Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
It's the loving FFXIV 1.0 flowerpot all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

e:
^ Explains the poo poo framerates. Get your poo poo together GF, christ.

They are incompetent with technology. Expecting Game Freak to get their poo poo together is a massive setup for disappointment.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

The trials and gyms systems aren't especially far removed from each other. Definitely didn't change the entire game up for me. I'd probably rather have gyms if they give them interesting team comps and AI though, rather than what ultimately boils down to an artificially tougher Pokemon and a lovely little helper.

The settings for the trials are pretty good, especially the Ghost one.

I don't really feel Alola as a setting, nor Hawaiian themed things which is probably partly because I'm not from the US. Kalos and Unova were better "not Japan" settings to me.

e:
^ Explains the poo poo framerates. Get your poo poo together GF, christ.

I mean, they're going to make more Pokemon games, and it's probably going to be on the switch. Might as well future-proof it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The trials and gyms systems aren't especially far removed from each other. Definitely didn't change the entire game up for me. I'd probably rather have gyms if they give them interesting team comps and AI though, rather than what ultimately boils down to an artificially tougher Pokemon and a lovely little helper.

I don't really feel Alola as a setting, nor Hawaiian themed things which is probably partly because I'm not from the US. Kalos and Unova were better "not Japan" settings to me.

Yeah I feel this big time. X and Y were definitely my favorite settings so far. I liked having all the different biomes--it made changing clothes more fun (time for a winter jacket up in the snow land!)

My only other gripe with the story is that it feels like railroading in a really major way, you're never very far from another little mini cutscene where Lillie or Hau say basically nothing at all. All of the "I'll meet you at..." followed by NPCs cutting you off from going anywhere else feels like a major lack of agency in a way that bugged me

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pyroi posted:

I mean, they're going to make more Pokemon games, and it's probably going to be on the switch. Might as well future-proof it.

It's not really future-proofing when they're loving up the present in the process...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
The models being massive is pretty clear evidence they've known since X/Y that they were about to be making console games.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Pokémon go models are the same ones yeah? Well then I'm sure they'll look good in the future but surely it could have been possible to make some lower poly versions for the here and now

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
These are going to be the models for like a decade. Remember, they were using Pokemon Stadium models for a bunch of pokemon up through 2010 in various games.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

El Burbo posted:

The Pokémon go models are the same ones yeah? Well then I'm sure they'll look good in the future but surely it could have been possible to make some lower poly versions for the here and now

"Japanese producer found dead, note attached to his head read "YOU MAKE 900 LOW-POLY MODELS FOR THE SIX YEAR OLD SYSTEM.""

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just be hoped they're sitting on a bank of actual console quality animations to match the high poly count models other wise it's all for nought.

(hahahahaha fat chance)

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
To me the main ??? is their decision to show trainer models in SM when they could have just saved that for later. The trainer stuff is neat, but not worth the loss of frames, triples or rotations in my opinion.

The high poly models worked well enough in XY and ORAS outside of horde battles, which they still could have axed just fine.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Decus posted:

To me the main ??? is their decision to show trainer models in SM when they could have just saved that for later. The trainer stuff is neat, but not worth the loss of frames, triples or rotations in my opinion.

The high poly models worked well enough in XY and ORAS outside of horde battles, which they still could have axed just fine.

Yeah, that's my main takeaway. Heck, you could take triples and rotations out as well and it'd be lovely but at least it'd be "this runs smooth all the way through" and then with Stars they get to go "Look! Triple battles are back! Trainers now appear with the pokemon!! It all looks good!"

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Considering there's over 800 pokemon models (and that doesn't take gender differences, formes, and megas into account) I think overbuilding them the first go round was the better choice. Better to have lovely performance now and not have to remake them later than having to redo every single one yet again somewhere down the line.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't mean make them low poly now and do it all over again the next time, I mean take the good ones you have now and downscale them through magic or whatever

I don't know, I'm no dev

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Dear Mareanie,

There is an injured Corsola RIGHT HERE. There's a giant pile of fainted Corsola right next to it! If you show up, I will feed you more Corsola bits than you ever dreamed of.

Just show up already.

:negative:

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
I just literally randomed into a Shiny Bonsly for my first captured shiny ever and now I don't know what to do with myself other than get a bomb rear end red sudowoodo.

Its got a neutral nature, are Sudowoodos even good?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kithkar posted:

I just literally randomed into a Shiny Bonsly for my first captured shiny ever and now I don't know what to do with myself other than get a bomb rear end red sudowoodo.

Its got a neutral nature, are Sudowoodos even good?

every pokemon is good and a friend

you'll never use it competitively probably but you've made a friend for life with that Bonsly

cams
Mar 28, 2003

El Burbo posted:

I don't mean make them low poly now and do it all over again the next time, I mean take the good ones you have now and downscale them through magic or whatever

I don't know, I'm no dev
this post is a good example of why people who complain about video games are awful

not you personally, burbo. you're aware of the silliness.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

they should take back all sold copies of pokemon sun and moon and then pretend it didn't happen

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

trials are infinitely better than gyms but gym leaders are better than totem pokemon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

trials are infinitely better than gyms but gym leaders are better than totem pokemon

Nah, Totems have fun gimmicks while gyms tend to be :effort: snoozefests.

I'm glad they've finally realized in SuMo that AI and Players can and should play by different rules during important encounters. It mixes things up a lot and makes some battles fun puzzles.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Poke PElago kind of sucks for leveling pokemon compared to the old daycare it seems. Plus this daycare doesn't give experience at all which forces you into it but dang. 40 xp per session?

Festival Plaza is the place you want to build up if you are looking for maxing out levels. The Rare Kitchen ends up giving you items that boost your mon 9 levels at a time.

Honestly the mini-games are also pretty fun in a dumb way, and I may have accidentally spent like 3 hours yesterday playing them instead of the main game. If they end up swapping pokemiles for FC as the reward for PokeBank mons then you'll have FC forever.

Edit: The fire trial clearly makes the trial system better than gyms forever and always.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
They'll probably just change the gen 4 gyms to act more like trials, just with fights at the end instead of totems. Some of gen 4 and most of gen 5 was almost there anyway.

I'd be weirder if they didn't do that, given the gen 2 and 3 remakes changed the gyms to have the traversal gimmicks. The trial format is the new traversal gimmick.

Totems are neat, but teams of 4+ pokemon with a strong signature pokemon would fill the same role.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

El Burbo posted:

Not necessarily, could just as well have been with an HD (3)DS successor in mind.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the lack of gym leaders helps the escalation of battles. In Gens V and VI i'd just have a blanket statement of "give everyone an extra pokemon after around gym 3 ffs", but here I feel like half the route enemies need an extra pokemon at most. When we get to the late-game and 5 Pokemon battles start happening it feels intense, these are long battles with good AI that feel like a strong step-up thanks to the escalation.

That said, I hope we come back to Alola with a sequel, there's so much bait for making up gyms and it'd be neat to see trials and gyms together.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zore posted:

I'm glad they've finally realized in SuMo that AI and Players can and should play by different rules during important encounters. It mixes things up a lot and makes some battles fun puzzles.

They knew this all along though?

Totem 'mons kinda play more like actual players than most gyms historically have, like with Helping Hand or buffing the 'boss mon with stuff or using status stats to win a war of attrition. They've just historically chosen to not have have trainers play like players because it would basically mean that trainers keep throwing out sneaky stones and other meta tricks. It's 100% a pointed thing that most trainer AI is "I'll use statuses, then my most powerful attack until I'm nearly dead then a potion if the box is checked if I can and then lose".

The dressing for making enemy pokemon or teams fight more intelligently or like a human isn't important, it's just that GF don't want to make it that way because it's a kids game and no kid will play Pokemon when they're being plastered by meta strats all the time.

This is why difficulty levels needs to be a thing finally.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm really enjoying playing Pokemon Sun on my New Nintendo 3DS XL game system

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

They knew this all along though?

Totem 'mons kinda play more like actual players than most gyms historically have, like with Helping Hand or buffing the 'boss mon with stuff or using status stats to win a war of attrition. They've just historically chosen to not have have trainers play like players because it would basically mean that trainers keep throwing out sneaky stones and other meta tricks. It's 100% a pointed thing that most trainer AI is "I'll use statuses, then my most powerful attack until I'm nearly dead then a potion if the box is checked if I can and then lose".

The dressing for making enemy pokemon or teams fight more intelligently or like a human isn't important, it's just that GF don't want to make it that way because it's a kids game and no kid will play Pokemon when they're being plastered by meta strats all the time.

This is why difficulty levels needs to be a thing finally.

There is no mode where you can 2v1 your opponent, or start with inherent stat boosts, or call reinforcements.

Those are the important changes they made in SuMo, not meta strats. It makes battles more dynamic and less predictable (Lurantis/Castform synergy) and stops a lot of the easier forms of cheese. Nerfing Paralysis and Confusion helps a lot too as they get action advantage without it feeling as 'unfair' as they felt sometimes during gym battles.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 21, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zore posted:

There is no mode where you can 2v1 your opponent, or start with inherent stat boosts, or call reinforcements.

Those are the important changes they made in SuMo, not meta strats.

The point is that the Totem Pokemon play more like human players do with 2v2s. Nothing else about that is important. It's dressing and an interesting thing, but it's not important and isn't precluded from Gyms in future if they want to.

Gen8FireCity Gym Leader uses the Charger to boost his Arcanine! He summons his Growlithe to help!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zore posted:

Nah, Totems have fun gimmicks while gyms tend to be :effort: snoozefests.

they all have the same gimmick (hit the totem 1-2 times to kill it then focus on the summon)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Those are the important changes they made in SuMo, not meta strats. It makes battles more dynamic and less predictable (Lurantis/Castform synergy) and stops a lot of the easier forms of cheese. Nerfing Paralysis and Confusion helps a lot too as they get action advantage without it feeling as 'unfair' as they felt sometimes during gym battles.
Triggered. That was one well-designed fight.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
fuckin totem salazzle killed my whole team :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

they all have the same gimmick (hit the totem 1-2 times to kill it then focus on the summon)

As opposed to hit the gym leader 1-2 times 3 times in a row and win?

I dunno man, I was never in a position where I could 1/2 shot a Totem and a lot of the adds did things like confuse you, or power up the totem in a way that made them important to take out (Alomomola :argh:)

The point is that the Totem Pokemon play more like human players do with 2v2s. Nothing else about that is important. It's dressing and an interesting thing, but it's not important and isn't precluded from Gyms in future if they want to.

Gen8FireCity Gym Leader uses the Charger to boost his Arcanine!

My point though was in a 2v2 you and the opponent are on theoretically equal footing. If I bring in a Gumshoos and you bring in a Gumshoos at the same level they will be roughly equal. If I bring a Gumshoos vs a Totem Gumshoos, Totem Gumshoos has that innate defense buff my dude never has and also gets a partner.

That's the important bit. I don't get 2 dudes to focus down one of his two dudes. He gets to gang up on me and have stat boosts which is wholly unlike anything you can do in a contest of equal footing.

Hell they even do this with the final battle you have in the UB dimension with all the boss' pokemon. That Clefable having a def boost makes it rough to take out.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

in Sun does Lillie's little pet Nebby turn into the Lion legendary instead?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

in Sun does Lillie's little pet Nebby turn into the Lion legendary instead?

Yep

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oh word

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zore posted:

As opposed to hit the gym leader 1-2 times 3 times in a row and win?

I dunno man, I was never in a position where I could 1/2 shot a Totem and a lot of the adds did things like confuse you, or power up the totem in a way that made them important to take out (Alomomola :argh:).

I went out of my way on the last totem to not kill it in 1-2 hits because they'd all been like that. it's not even down to being over leveled either; I've been around 2 levels +/1 the totems and have grabbed pokemon from my pc to make sure I had stuff that wasn't too strong beforehand. like in the grass totem I brought in a level 17 grimer from my storage that I got to around 21-22 by the time I fought the totem and all I did was poison the totem and swap out for a z move before it died from the poison damage. then I beat up the helper. I don't know what any of the adds of any totem I've fought even do because they've all died before getting a round

e: like I'm not saying they're bad or anything; I like them fine. just like the gym leaders more. tho while I'm complaining, give trainers more pokemon sooner jeez

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 21, 2016

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How is the post game stuff in this? I'm nowhere near it but hope it's better than ORAS.

It's going to be real interesting to see what they do with the Pokemon bank in January. Since you can't transfer stuff from Sun/Moon downwards. They should probably just have a separate section for any that have made it into the Sun/Moon generation.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

so is the end of the "main" game beating Lusamine?

The lead-up to it definitely a felt a bit Victory Road-esque, but is there no elite 4 style themed-trainer gauntlet?

Spacebump posted:

How is the post game stuff in this? I'm nowhere near it but hope it's better than ORAS.

It's going to be real interesting to see what they do with the Pokemon bank in January. Since you can't transfer stuff from Sun/Moon downwards. They should probably just have a separate section for any that have made it into the Sun/Moon generation.

i mean probably not that weird right? "you can't do that" error or something I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Waffles Inc. posted:

so is the end of the "main" game beating Lusamine?

The lead-up to it definitely a felt a bit Victory Road-esque, but is there no elite 4 style themed-trainer gauntlet?

i mean probably not that weird right? "you can't do that" error or something I reckon

The main game's not over til you hit the credits.