Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Everything in DA2 feels wrong. Just playing it gives you the distinct impression that something went badly off during development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

DA2 is maybe the only game that makes me feel profound embarrassment for the person who had to play it just to put up a youtube link to a scene or w/e.

I don't know, there have been scenes in pretty much every ME and DA game that have made me feel embarrassment for the writers, the voice actors, and myself most of all

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Everything in DA2 feels wrong. Just playing it gives you the distinct impression that something went badly off during development.

A ton of stuff, from what I've read. Not least of which is that they apparently only had something like 18 months to actually development the game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Hey now, I've liked DA 2 since its release.

You can inpune my taste, but at least I'm consistent!

i can respect this

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I don't know, there have been scenes in pretty much every ME and DA game that have made me feel embarrassment for the writers, the voice actors, and myself most of all

It's Bioware so we're all used to the cringeworthy scenes by now, but not 35 straight hours of cringe.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
playing dragon age 2 feels like eating an entire lemon whole

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
here's a question, how come a person spends 35 hours on a game they absolutely hate??

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

It's Bioware so we're all used to the cringeworthy scenes by now, but not 35 straight hours of cringe.

Yeah.

Dragon Age 2 is like what happens when whoever is responsible for stuff like the I'LL STEAL THEIR KNICKERS LOL jokes from Inquisition are allowed to write an entire game.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
People hate DA2 for a lot of reasons outside of the actual merits and demerits of DA2 when considered in isolation. Certain parts of DA2 have a heightened significance because they are signs of such larger problems as: 1) Bioware once again retreating from the heritage of the Infinity Engine games which DA was supposed to return them to (action combat); 2) Bioware's obvious and horrible submission to EA's lowest common denominator, company destroying, homogeneous market philosophy (obviously unfinished and recycled areas; the action combat here too); 3) Bioware's weird market courting of 'extreme gamer' culture on one hand and tumblr sex freaks on the other ('push a button something awesome happens;' hawkesexual).

If you take all this horrible context away though -- DA2 has probably the best tactical combat and probably the best or at least most creative character and story writing in the entire series, even if more by coincidence than design.

But DA2's localized successes are still (justifiably) unpopular to recognize: not just for the larger reasons I've outlined; but because many of the broader trends they've suggested have now been confirmed. DA3 is mostly garbage imo and exacerbates many of the bad things going wrong with the series that DA2 introduced but in far more limited ways. But w/e maybe this opinion won't carry as much weight in the Mass Effect thread.

Zane fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 21, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Zzulu posted:

here's a question, how come a person spends 35 hours on a game they absolutely hate??

You would have to ask somebody who has played DA2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zzulu posted:

it's the return of my favorite Bethesda argument, "you can't say the game is bad because you played it a lot"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No, I get spending hours on a game, but once you approach double digits I do not get it anymore

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alain Post posted:

it's the return of my favorite Bethesda argument, "you can't say the game is bad because you played it a lot"

And it's long-time companion, "you can't say that game is bad because you haven't played enough of it."

Master these two pieces of rhetorical fecal matter and you can comfortably smug your way through any argument about video games.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 21, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You must play for exactly the proscribed amount of hours in order to criticize a game. Too many or too few will result in your criticism being declared invalid.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
I really don’t think other games should try to completely imitate Alpha Protocol’s dialogue system because the manipulating-people-simulator thing specifically works for AP because it’s a spy story. It would totally work in a fantasy game where you’re in the thieves’ guild or whatnot, but not so much in a straight forward ‘You’re the Hero-Man!’ story.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if you play a game you do not enjoy for 30+ hours, you are like an alien to me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zzulu posted:

if you play a game you do not enjoy for 30+ hours, you are like an alien to me

Let me tell you a little bit about a game they call "Dota."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I was waiting for it to get good

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i couldnt even finish fallout 4 and I didn't even hate it, just thought it was mediocre

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Chomp8645 posted:

You must play for exactly the proscribed amount of hours in order to criticize a game. Too many or too few will result in your criticism being declared invalid.

What is the Goldilocks zone for game criticism? I would think it would have to be expressed as a fraction of typical game completion time. But you would also have to factor in how repetitive the gameplay is, since a game with varied content would be harder to judge until you've seen most or all of it. Consideration must also be given to the history of games put out by the story authors and any reputation the publisher has of loving with it's studios.

So where C is typical game completion time (in hours); R is gameplay repetitiveness measured on a scale of 1-100 where 100 is continually unique mechanics / situations and 1 is basically pong; A is authorial reputation & P is publisher reputation both measured on a floating average of the last 5 metacritic :v: scores of their respective works; then:

Time it takes to evaluate a game = (C/R)*AP

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nevets posted:

What is the Goldilocks zone for game criticism? I would think it would have to be expressed as a fraction of typical game completion time. But you would also have to factor in how repetitive the gameplay is, since a game with varied content would be harder to judge until you've seen most or all of it. Consideration must also be given to the history of games put out by the story authors and any reputation the publisher has of loving with it's studios.

So where C is typical game completion time (in hours); R is gameplay repetitiveness measured on a scale of 1-100 where 100 is continually unique mechanics / situations and 1 is basically pong; A is authorial reputation & P is publisher reputation both measured on a floating average of the last 5 metacritic :v: scores of their respective works; then:

Time it takes to evaluate a game = (C/R)*AP

So you're saying it doesn't take very long to evaluate a game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Here's my own formula: I used my eyes, and the ability to process visual information in conjunction with sound and movement in a way approximating some consistent aesthetic taste, and clicked on youtube videos of people playing Dragon Age 2. And after some minutes of this, decided that my feelings on this were decidedly negative and not something I would ever want to pay money for, although I could see how a crazy person might get a real kick out of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
RPGs and strategy games are very prone to "why did you play it so long if you didn't like it" because strategy games can take a long time to evaluate, and because RPG makers have successfully convinced an entire generation of innocent gamers that the first 10 hours of any RPG should be really goddamn boring

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And sometimes games backload a lot of bad decisions and preachy bullshit into the endgame which can retroactively taint a game's perception.

And no I'm not talking about ME3 here.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
DA2 had a few good ideas and thats about it

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I actually kinda, sorta liked the second act of dragon age 2 but the third act was so bad that I just started using console commands to kill everything so I could just get to the dumb ending without having to sit through anymore tiresome demon mobs. I never played the game again or bought any of the dlc which is rare for me who usually gobbles up whatever Bioware shits out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kurieg posted:

And sometimes games backload a lot of bad decisions and preachy bullshit into the endgame which can retroactively taint a game's perception.

"The Skyrim Effect"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Skyrim Effect is more like "it'll get good when I level up" for like 20 hours

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I keep trying to mod the combat in skyrim to be better

but its just not possible

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Moola posted:

The only improvement to be made is to use summoning

and not participate in combat :saddowns:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moola posted:

Yeah it basically the one core system that mods just can't do anything about. It sucks no matter what.

Perks/skills, crafting and trade, NPC and companion mechanics, and even exploration (to a degree) can be improved or at least made more interesting with mods. But the combat, that's stuck.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Skyrim was great. It was at its best at low levels

At high levels everything is too easy and boring

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bethesda, creators of some of the most acclaimed, top selling, most played RPGs of all time, have never made a good game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The worst part of DA2 is that there is no option to side with the Qunari.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RBA Starblade posted:

There is.

Don't oppose them (by not playing the game).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The new Mars Effort: Andromemmom will be great if there is 1) some shooting things that also shoot back, 2) some exploring and you find some things that make it almost worth all the time spent looking, 3) traveling companions whose stories you learn and whose butts you see by talking to them, 4) the option for Ryder to say funny things or punch space nuns or both, but it needs to be optional because requiring it would be immoral

It's gonna be great and I feel ready

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Alain Post posted:

Bethesda, creators of some of the most acclaimed, top selling, most played RPGs of all time, have never made a good game.

DOOM is real good tho

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Moola posted:

DOOM is real good tho

They published it. Actually the games Bethesda publish, with a few exceptions, tend to be much better than the games they actually develop.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Skyrim: the game so good it had to be released twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I think you can do this if you choose to sell out the chesty pirate girl who wants to gently caress everybody. So it's an unpopular decision.