Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
So is there anyone out there willing to trade off a female Alolan Vulpix for something frigging reasonable? I was hoping we'd get away from people asking for Legendaries and impossible Pokemon this generation, but basically every Vulpix on GTS is only available for rare SOS finds or bloody Milotics. I just want a cuddly ice fox for my team :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Big grip with the game, Poni Island spoilers:
no dungeons. The closest thing is the "victory road" place, which is cool, but there's a critical path and some side stuff to get an item or avoid trainers. The most "ahh, dungeon!" bit there was that there was a corridor, on the right a smashable rock so i go through and got a TM, nice! then i go forward and there's rocks on the left, so i crush them and there was a trainer there who battled me instantly. But yeah, mostly straight line with short deviations to get items, which extra sucks because you have all the rides! They're one or two button presses away and they couldn't make it some sorta dungeon that asks for all of them to move forward beyond tiny obstacles.

Make it so you need to find some ancient key to go forward, the key is related to a totem pokemon or something so after battling it the doggo can sniff for it. Water section where you can go down certain paths and the solution is seeing where pokemon go to. Pokemon Snap bit to look ahead, etc. There's so many neat things you unlock that aren't HM-Slaved locked anymore, you can make a dungeon and everyone will always be able to solve it. Or at least, like, make it an extra side thing since you can avoid the pyukumuku beach and the trash disposer and never touch it during the story.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waffles Inc. posted:

so is the end of the "main" game beating Lusamine?

The lead-up to it definitely a felt a bit Victory Road-esque, but is there no elite 4 style themed-trainer gauntlet?

i mean probably not that weird right? "you can't do that" error or something I reckon

There is literally an Elite 4. The Professor has been talking about it all game and they point you to Victory Road literally right after that point.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zore posted:

There is literally an Elite 4. The Professor has been talking about it all game and they point you to Victory Road literally right after that point.

ah word. i was posting from the middle of the Lusamine fight

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

ah word. i was posting from the middle of the Lusamine fight

There's a cutscene before that with Kukui grabbing your head and turning it to a mountain and saying "look that's where the Pokemon league will be"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
where is eevee

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

In the egg the nursery people give you

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think somewhere in the wild on Akala Island (island 2) but you can get one in an Egg at the Daycare on Route 5

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the egg became a lady eevee but i kinda want a male one to catch salandits with

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

corn in the bible posted:

the egg became a lady eevee but i kinda want a male one to catch salandits with

They're somewhat rare wild encounters on route 4 and route 6. You can check the exact patches of grass they appear in in your pokedex.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
How early in the game can you find Pikachu's? And the Thunder Stone? Wondering when I can get my surfing electric psychic bud onto my team asap.

Also I just beat Crystal for the first time (never beat the old GameBoy games as a kid), how long is the Kanto post-game roughly? Another 20 or so hours?

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 21, 2016

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Question: when, exactly, can you catch vulpix? I know the earliest you can get it is in Tapu Village, but when is that progression-wise?
Sidenote: I want the Vulpix's HA, but serebii only has SOS data for the Mt. Lanakilla ones. Does that mean the ones in Tapu Village don't call for help? Because if so, that's annoying as gently caress.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Totem fights have been a mixed bag for me. Water was really tough because it summoned a helper that could heal it, but in my second try it summoned a washiwashi, making the fight much easier. The grass fight kicked my rear end until I used X Defense and X Special Attack and it didn't summon a castform. But the fire totem used Torment on the first turn and I one shot it with bulldozer.

Overall they're really fun, but it seems like luck with summons is a huge factor in how it will go.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

LemonLimeTime posted:

How early in the game can you find Pikachu's? And the Thunder Stone? Wondering when I can get my surfing electric psychic bud onto my team asap.

You can get them in the first city. Well, Pichus anyway. But it's a good idea to start with Pichu for Nasty Plot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Solumin posted:

Totem fights have been a mixed bag for me. Water was really tough because it summoned a helper that could heal it, but in my second try it summoned a washiwashi, making the fight much easier. The grass fight kicked my rear end until I used X Defense and X Special Attack and it didn't summon a castform. But the fire totem used Torment on the first turn and I one shot it with bulldozer.

Overall they're really fun, but it seems like luck with summons is a huge factor in how it will go.

wait, they can summon different things?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

wait, they can summon different things?

Yeah, I was completely unable to beat sunny day castform+lurantis but then on my 3rd try it summoned trumbeak instead and it was ggez

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ribombee more like ribombMVP in my game

I love this little bee

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

What the christ

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My pretty little girl totodile high fived me in Pokemon refresh, goty

Gumshoos was my mvp in the wishiwashi trial, gal withstood two helping hands water guns for a mega bide

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Supremezero posted:

It's not really future-proofing when they're loving up the present in the process...

agreed, remove doubles :evilbuddy:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Yeah, I was completely unable to beat sunny day castform+lurantis but then on my 3rd try it summoned trumbeak instead and it was ggez

o drat I wonder what all they can each summon

wondering if I got a bunch of easy mode trial bosses or something

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Very important question: what other cute interactions can I do in Pokemon refresh other than feeding and petting?

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
Once Hariyama learned Belly Drum he OHKO'd every totem/boss/whatever until the end of the game with Z-Fightium, even if they took 1/2 damage from Fighting.

Both the pokemon and Z-crystal are picked up on the first island, too. Hum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FAT BATMAN posted:

Very important question: what other cute interactions can I do in Pokemon refresh other than feeding and petting?

If you touch pichu cheek it shock u

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

o drat I wonder what all they can each summon

wondering if I got a bunch of easy mode trial bosses or something

They can summon anything in the local SOS table, albeit their summons tend to have better/more obnoxious movepools than the normal wild pokemon.

FAT BATMAN posted:

You can hi-five them. Say hello and they'll say hello back. Some have special elemental reactions to touching. Like you cannot pet Slugma, it butns you :(

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 21, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eevee is wild in the grass directly outside the daycare where you can get an Eevee egg, which you should immediately hatch, hope it's a boy, give one rainbow bean and evolve to Sylveon and use to find female Salandits, starter pokemon if you get one on Island Scan.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lillie, take your goddamn moonbat. You said back on exeggutor island you wanted to be a trainer, now stuff your lunala into a ball and beat up some twerp's rattata with it. If you give it to me it's going to just rot in a box forever.

That aside, I think Lillie is my favorite pokemon NPC since like Cynthia, and possibly ever.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

UmbreonMessiah posted:

So is there anyone out there willing to trade off a female Alolan Vulpix for something frigging reasonable? I was hoping we'd get away from people asking for Legendaries and impossible Pokemon this generation, but basically every Vulpix on GTS is only available for rare SOS finds or bloody Milotics. I just want a cuddly ice fox for my team :(

I can breed one for you for the low, low price of your firstborn child and a Lunala.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

UmbreonMessiah posted:

the trick is always to deposit something decent and say you want a vulpix, let the other person do the work of searching through the poo poo trades

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cheetah7071 posted:

Lillie, take your goddamn moonbat. You said back on exeggutor island you wanted to be a trainer, now stuff your lunala into a ball and beat up some twerp's rattata with it. If you give it to me it's going to just rot in a box forever.

That aside, I think Lillie is my favorite pokemon NPC since like Cynthia, and possibly ever.

I kinda hated her at first because I thought she'd spend the whole game being all 'eeee I'm so scared can you just do everything for me, main character' but seeing her quickly turn to 'eeee I'm so scared but also I should probably learn to handle that, can you help me because you're my friend' was a very happy surprise.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Just met Gladion.
Is there a reason he does that dang hand pose, or is he actually just a chuuni?
Also, he's much better at being a rival than Hau is. Doesn't even heal your pokemon, just shows up and is like "fight me, you loser." That being said, I still like Hau. After the idiot trio of X & Y, he's a much more tolerable character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm pretty sure no one would miss Hau if he drowned in the middle of the Alolan sea because you summoned a Lapras and it took his away

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Just met Gladion.
Also, he's much better at being a rival than Hau is. Doesn't even heal your pokemon, just shows up and is like "fight me, you loser." That being said, I still like Hau. After the idiot trio of X & Y, he's a much more tolerable character.

Gladion is just an overly dramatic edgelord.

He's great and has a lot of cool rival battles with you. And he and Hau make a surprisingly good comedy duo and get some really good burns in on each other.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm pretty sure no one would miss Hau if he drowned in the middle of the Alolan sea because you summoned a Lapras and it took his away

i would, because he is my friend

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Just met Gladion.

Excuse me XY had four friends and the professor, all thick as a plank.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

i would, because he is my friend

Consider replacing him with a good friend who does not bend over backwards for you, such as Alakazam or Skarmory.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

holy loving poo poo it's so loving hard to catch anything decent with a good nature in this game, i reset for a Jolly Litten and even that kinda sucks... I will literally suck a dick for a decent Modest/Timid female Salandit at this point. Is the Toxapek pre-evo thingie relatively easy to catch in the wild?? Or Golisopod's?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Dabir posted:

I will at least accept Calem/Serena as being a rival, just not a very good one. And the professor was at least entertaining,even if his assistants were useless.
The idiot trio who shall rename unnamed are unredeemable in every single way.

Zore posted:

Gladion is just an overly dramatic edgelord.

He's great and has a lot of cool rival battles with you. And he and Hau make a surprisingly good comedy duo and get some really good burns in on each other.
Just a chuuni, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dabir posted:

Don't forget Diestro and Lexia, the acclaimed professor assistants who returned this game after spending all of XY aiding you and wearing outlandish costumes to help them be even more memorable.