Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

apparently the AAA game industry is having a little bit of a crisis right now. according to PAL charts, Watch Dogs 2 sold only 20% of what Watch Dogs 1 sold in the same timeframe from launch. Similarly, Mankind Divided sold half of what Human Revolution sold, Gears of War 4 sold 25% of what GOW3 sold, Titanfall 2 sold 25% of what Titanfall 1 sold, Infinite Warfare sold half of what the last COD sold. Remember this is not "(X) launch week vs. (Y) lifetime sales" but "(X) sales after (Z) days vs (Y) sales after (Z) days"

maybe companies should consider releasing games outside of the last two months of the year just because of Black Friday

DOOM sold well for example and it was not a holiday game. but meanwhile Skyrim Remastered is outselling Watch Dogs 2 currently lol

Aren't sales figures they repease only for physical copies? If so I imagine digital distribution on consoles becoming much more common is responsible for a lot of that, kind of like how PC sales figures always look abysmal because everyone just buys them from Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have been playing Pokémon Moon which is the first mainline Pokémon game I've put any real time into since X.

I like it a lot so far. They front loaded the game with original 150 so I get to have a team with a Grimer, Growlithe, and Magnemite pretty much right out the gate instead of having to choose between a bunch of random 'mon I have no familiarity with.

They also did a great job of mixing up diversions so there's something to do other than battling. Which is good since the combat is still really easy (although every once in a while a fight will be tricky. )

Definitely the most I've been entertained by a Pokémon game since yellow. Game Freak did good this time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Re: AAA sales, I've heard part of it is that companies are now factoring in the long-tail a lot more than first week nowadays so maybe not all doom & gloom.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Sort of tangentially related to unsustainable AAA development, remember licensed games?

Like, it hit me yesterday that I can't really think of the most recent one. There used to be a very long period of time where basically any half-notable blockbuster movie also had a companion video game. The LEGO franchise kind of does this, but it's not exactly on the same level of EVERY HARRY POTTER, LOTR, AND JAMES BOND MOVIE GETS A SHOVELWARE ADAPTATION TOO.

Did we finally kill this formerly unstoppable trend?

EDIT: After posting this I realize there's been plenty, such as the Arkham games, Telltale's stuff, Shadow of Mordor, etc. But they don't seem like the same level of cash-grabby barrel-scraping and maybe that's why I don't even notice it in the same way.

Mung Dynasty fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 21, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mung Dynasty posted:

Sort of tangentially related to unsustainable AAA development, remember licensed games?

Like, it hit me yesterday that I can't really think of the most recent one. There used to be a very long period of time where basically any half-notable blockbuster movie also had a companion video game. The LEGO franchise kind of does this, but it's not exactly on the same level of EVERY HARRY POTTER, LOTR, AND JAMES BOND MOVIE GETS A SHOVELWARE ADAPTATION TOO.

Nah, they're just on smart phones.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Goldeneye was bad.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mung Dynasty posted:

EDIT: After posting this I realize there's been plenty, such as the Arkham games, Telltale's stuff, Shadow of Mordor, etc. But they don't seem like the same level of cash-grabby barrel-scraping and maybe that's why I don't even notice it in the same way.

The Arkham stuff is way more of a comic/animated series game than it is a movie game. Shadow of Mordor is also total LotR fanfiction that just happens to share the movie aesthetic. I think the most recent non-Lego explicit movie tie-in game I can think of was Green Lantern. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's like some double-strength 3DS shovelware for whatever Dreamworks film you want, now that I think of it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Goldeneye was bad.

The game was good at least

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was playing some Earthworm Jim 2 last night and man I forgot how impressive the graphics were for a SNES game. Easily one of the best looking games for the system.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mung Dynasty posted:

I see some that I've never heard of before in physical stores. They're basically there as gift impulse buys for clueless parents that do remember the name of the movie their kid went to see a month ago. They just fall off the grid when you only use online stores and nobody reviews that poo poo either. There's definitely way fewer of them nowadays, that's for sure.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I was playing some Earthworm Jim 2 last night and man I forgot how impressive the graphics were for a SNES game. Easily one of the best looking games for the system.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Pokemon Sun and moon is legit. I got a poison pal this time and it's not gengar :v:

Petting Snorlax was weird until I figured out how to scroll upwards 😬

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Palpek posted:

I see some that I've never heard of before in physical stores. They're basically there as gift impulse buys for clueless parents that do remember the name of the movie their kid went to see a month ago. They just fall off the grid when you only use online stores and nobody reviews that poo poo either. There's definitely way fewer of them nowadays, that's for sure.

I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm in a store. This is suddenly weirdly fascinating.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mak0rz posted:

I like the EWJ games but sometimes they were so well animated it ended up on the wrong side of uncontrollable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

I like the EWJ games but sometimes it was so well animated it ended up on the wrong side of uncontrollable.

Those levels where you have to save Peter's puppies with the marshmallow are loving awful for this reason imo. Where are the hitboxes god dammit?? :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm really excited to get Pokemon Sun next month to play while traveling. I'm gonna pick Rowlet because he's a cool owl with a bowtie who grows up to be Robin Hoot and I don't see how I could reasonably choose any other starter.

Gonna get Sun for Alolan Ninetails :getin:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The games where you literally play through every major scene in the movie doing for or less what the characters did in the movie for ten times as long are almost dead, thankfully. And the world has realized that a licensed game doesn't necessarily have to coincide with a major release from the base franchise, which is also good as rushing to make film premiere dates is one of the reasons those games were garbage in the first place.

I like to think we can thank the Chronicles of Riddick game for this, which came out in 2004 and was also really drat good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I like the EWJ games but sometimes it was so well animated it ended up on the wrong side of uncontrollable.

The controls for whipping is extremely unintuitive. That segment in hell with the consecutive swings is a huge stumbling block for me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'll have to keep an eye out next time I'm in a store. This is suddenly weirdly fascinating.
Some of it moved to the model of patching new movie characters to existing games. For example in the past you would get a whole new lovely Wolverine game released in addition to the movie but when Dr. Strange released every Marvel game just got Dr. Strange added to it: Marvel Avengers Academy, Marvel Contest of Champions, Marvel Future Fight, Marvel Heroes 2016, Marvel Puzzle Quest etc. So they just have those studios working on additional assets and they can advertise the games in cinemas getting new people into them thanks to the patches. Much cheaper and smarter.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deadly_pudding posted:

The Arkham stuff is way more of a comic/animated series game than it is a movie game. Shadow of Mordor is also total LotR fanfiction that just happens to share the movie aesthetic. I think the most recent non-Lego explicit movie tie-in game I can think of was Green Lantern. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's like some double-strength 3DS shovelware for whatever Dreamworks film you want, now that I think of it.

There was Amazing Spider-Man 2 from two years ago. I see it pretty cheap on the Playstation Store.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm a little disappointed we never got a game based on Edge of Tomorrow since it's the one movie where having the player proceed through it exactly as Tom Cruise did would work perfectly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There was a Ghostbusters 2016 tie-in game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Mordja posted:

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo. It also automatically turns on streaming functionality when you launch a game too. Oh yeah, are their latest drivers still broken or have they fixed them yet?

I'll let you know, I was getting a lot of crashes with Planet Coaster and someone in the thread suggested old drivers might be the issue.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Palpek posted:

I thought that was just a steaming turd they passed at the same time as the film's release

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember really enjoying the game version of The World Is Not Enough, specifically the version that had you doing everything that happened in the movie. I remember there were at least 2 games made for that movie, I forget which one was the super faithful representation but it was really neat because I remember the bit where in the movie james is running away from an explosion and grabs a crane thing to zipline across and you have to do that in the game and I felt so proud figuring out I had to copy the movie.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is appropo of nothing but I flipped through channels and saw that Joel McHale and Aisha Tyler were both on The Talk

the two titans of Ubisoft E3s, side by side

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Palpek posted:

tap my mountain posted:

I thought that was just a steaming turd they passed at the same time as the film's release

Yeah, it wasn't really a movie tie-in. You're not there playing as Melissa McCarthy or anything. It's a roster of totally made up Busters that I think weren't even from the comic books. Same characters as the lovely mobile game that came out around the same time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bunch of random youtubers have video of Grasshopper's f2p dark souls roguelike today, it actually looks ok. They still swear it's coming out before the end of the year.

https://youtu.be/plw-zOVSmVc

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Since it's the 25th anniversary of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and I've never played it, I figured now is as good a time as any.

But which emulator should I use? I'm using an Xbone controller on Win10.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Palpek posted:

Some of it moved to the model of patching new movie characters to existing games. [...]

This kind of thing is far more common now that I think about it. Payday 2 has DLC for Point Break 2015 and both John Wick films, Rocket League has the Batmobile from Dawn of Justice, that kind of thing. Getting content for an existing game is probably cheaper and has a better chance of getting played.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

lets hang out posted:

Bunch of random youtubers have video of Grasshopper's f2p dark souls roguelike today, it actually looks ok. They still swear it's coming out before the end of the year.

https://youtu.be/plw-zOVSmVc

why this and not shadows of the damned or lollipop chainsaw

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gungho doesn't own either of those

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been waiting for that Salt and Sanctuary thing to go on sale on PSN forever because I heard it's good

It's definitely really fun.

Let It Die also looks real fun

That PSN black friday sale is gonna own...

...my wallet

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mung Dynasty posted:

why this and not shadows of the damned or lollipop chainsaw

They are trying to make a good game this time

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember really enjoying the game version of The World Is Not Enough, specifically the version that had you doing everything that happened in the movie. I remember there were at least 2 games made for that movie, I forget which one was the super faithful representation but it was really neat because I remember the bit where in the movie james is running away from an explosion and grabs a crane thing to zipline across and you have to do that in the game and I felt so proud figuring out I had to copy the movie.

Bond games are weird because at first glance the movies have all of the vehicle and gun action and set pieces that seem straight out of a videogame already so it should be a good fit but then that means having levels where you're switching up the gameplay several times and spreading your game development resources thin. One reason Goldeneye worked so well is that except for the one tank part they made the entire game a FPS. Stealth amounted to using your silencer. Melee combat meant using your judo chop. There was no flying, no gambling, no dialogue system, etc. Just shooting people.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

taste my big boner

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lollipop Chainsaw was a Good Game

Shadows of the Damned was... okay.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I've always thought the way to make a killer modern James Bond game would be to cop the basic play from Mass Effect or even Deus Ex, make it an RPG with a ton of dialogue and roleplaying and a gambling minigame all built on the framework of a shooter that allows for multiple approaches. You could even allude to the multiple Bonds/Bond is a codename thing by letting the player visually customize Bond (maybe even with presets modeled after actors like Connery and Craig)

If that's what Alpha Protocol is don't tell me because I like to be ignorant

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 21, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

Bond games are weird because at first glance the movies have all of the vehicle and gun action and set pieces that seem straight out of a videogame already so it should be a good fit but then that means having levels where you're switching up the gameplay several times and spreading your game development resources thin. One reason Goldeneye worked so well is that except for the one tank part they made the entire game a FPS. Stealth amounted to using your silencer. Melee combat meant using your judo chop. There was no flying, no gambling, no dialogue system, etc. Just shooting people.

I think the best 007 game post-Goldeneye is Everything Or Nothing. Just an overall fun and neat game, though I wish I had someone to play the co-op campaign with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

wizard on a water slide posted:

I've always thought the way to make a killer modern James Bond game would be to cop the basic play from Mass Effect or even Deus Ex, make it an RPG with a ton of dialogue and roleplaying and a gambling minigame all built on the framework of a shooter that allows for multiple approaches. You could even allude to the multiple Bonds/Bond is a codename thing by letting the player visually customize Bond (maybe even with presets modeled after actors like Connery and Craig)

If that's what Alpha Protocol is don't tell me because I like to be ignorant

That's what Alpha Protocol is except for the good gameplay.

• Locked thread