Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's powercrazy, so, yes?

Also as important as Bernie's ideas are if 'the future of the democratic party' is an elderly white man we're just as hosed as when it was an elderly white woman

His ideas. Not him literally. He isn't trying to be King, hopefully that type of thinking is dead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TyrantWD posted:

Bernie and his movement are irrelevant.

The future of the Democratic Party is what it was a month ago, a year ago, a decade ago, and what would it be even if Hillary won - they are not-Republicans. That's all there is to it. When enough people become unhappy with the state of things under the Republicans, they will vote Democrat, and the Democratic Party will gladly sit and wait for that moment.

Wow, glad you are doing your part! I'm sure eventually your abuela will reward you.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Fulchrum posted:

Isn't that projection based off a low dem turnout due to complacency, due to the assumption Trump wouldn't be in the white house?

gerrymandering + low voter turnout on off years means the dems are basically guarantee not to have the house unless Trump literally nukes Iowa or something

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

whys she wearing that popcorn necklace anyway

She represents hawaii.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Typo posted:

gerrymandering + low voter turnout on off years means the dems are basically guarantee not to have the house unless Trump literally nukes Iowa or something

actually this will guarantee the GOP sweeps every state in the nation

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Al! posted:

well tbf i dont really give a poo poo about what happens to the dems from here

I don't think the anarchists are going to have any more luck opposing the GOP domination of the country than the Dems are, so good luck with that I guess.

Typo posted:

They can retake the Senate, potentially. Not likely, but possible.

And far more importantly, they can take back statehouses and governerships and county positions and at least undo some of the vote limiting in preparation for 2020 (while also helping a bunch of people who might otherwise be hurt under two more years of Trump)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's powercrazy, so, yes?

Also as important as Bernie's ideas are if 'the future of the democratic party' is an elderly white man we're just as hosed as when it was an elderly white woman

He is the future in the same sense that Goldwater was the future in 68. His ideas not himself are the future.

@TyrantWD

:getout: You lost, you wrecked the party.

Also voter suppression actually can be a great way to turn out the targeted. If they then engage in outright supression tactics, ALA jim crow then that will trigger unrest.

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Nov 21, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think the anarchists are going to have any more luck opposing the GOP domination of the country than the Dems are, so good luck with that I guess.

They can retake the Senate, potentially. Not likely, but possible.

And far more importantly, they can take back statehouses and governerships and county positions and at least undo some of the vote limiting in preparation for 2020 (while also helping a bunch of people who might otherwise be hurt under two more years of Trump)

maybe, i do note that smashing a couple dozen car windows in portland proved far more disturbing to the establishment than the rest of the currently petering out national protests

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Crowsbeak posted:

@TyrantWD

:getout: You lost, you wrecked the party.

He was one of the people saying Trump was gonna win because Hillary was running such a poo poo campaign, wasn't he? He's condemning them for it, as far as I can tell.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"It is not good enough for somebody to say, 'I'm a woman, vote for me.' That is not good enough," the Vermont senator said over the weekend according to Boston’s WBUR. "What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industries."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

maybe, i do note that smashing a couple dozen car windows in portland proved far more disturbing to the establishment than the rest of the currently petering out national protests

True. Too bad they didn't do that as soon as Hillary was announced 2 years ago, then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess :q:

anime was right posted:

"It is not good enough for somebody to say, 'I'm a woman, vote for me.' That is not good enough," the Vermont senator said over the weekend according to Boston’s WBUR. "What we need is a woman who has the guts to stand up to Wall Street, to the insurance companies, to the drug companies, to the fossil fuel industries."

:krad:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

anime was right posted:

"It is not good enough for somebody to say, 'I'm a woman...'. That is not good enough," the Vermont senator said over the weekend according to Boston’s WBUR.

whoa, bernie was actually sexist all along

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Also voter suppression actually can be a great way to turn out the targeted. If they then engage in outright supression tactics, ALA jim crow then that will trigger unrest.

this is a hell of a gamble to play with people's basic human dignity.

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005
Bernie's still bad, and Trump is an acceptable outcome if it means dodging that bullet.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

So good to see Bernie offering a real future.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

this is a hell of a gamble to play with people's basic human dignity.

Well if they are really as evil as you say then they'll pass it. Its why I support the second.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

True. Too bad they didn't do that as soon as Hillary was announced 2 years ago, then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess :q:

:krad:

Shoulda thrown more chairs

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bill Buckner posted:

Bernie's still bad, and Trump is an acceptable outcome if it means dodging that bullet.

:yikes:

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Bill Buckner posted:

hah

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bill Buckner posted:

anyone who thinks trump is an acceptable outcome under any set of circumstances real or imagined should immediately defenestrate themselves

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

someones gonna fling a molotov at an immigrant camp construction site and respectable dems are going together out of national unity to help pay to rebuild it from their own pockets

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

this thread is making me want to run for a local office, or maybe a California democratic assembly delegate, so I can fart into a mic for 90 seconds at the state convention and finally make the democrats relevant again

Serf
May 5, 2011

I feel like a lot of this narrative of "economic justice at the expense of social justice" is mostly fake bullshit meant to keep us at each other's throats. There' no reason why you can't push for economic change that will appeal to white voters while at the same time advocating for robust social reforms to benefit the marginalized. In fact, I'd say that social justice is predicated upon economic justice. What's the point of having rights if you have no support structures or money to exercise those rights?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The Republicans were declared dead by everyone after LBJ defeated Goldwater and the Dems had a majority in both houses. The Republicans were dead after FDR. The Democrats were dead after Reagan.

Maybe this is the time the Republicans finally strip enough voting rights to keep everything in their control forever. Maybe not. Yeah, they're going to do some lovely things with their control of the government, and people are going to suffer. But that doesn't mean we can't fix some of it again, especially if Trump is pressured to keep the Paris Climate Treaty.

Either way people should be going to their meetings and coming up with new ideas about spreading our message. Right wing media might be hard to overcome, but in person interaction can be more effective. Yeah, people are scared of ISIS. But what happens when Trump can't stamp out terrorism? What happens if Sessions tries to go after legal weed? What happens if the economy starts to dip?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Al! posted:

someones gonna fling a molotov at an immigrant camp construction site and respectable dems are going together out of national unity to help pay to rebuild it from their own pockets

rebuild the camp or the molotov

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This thread alternately fills me with hope and makes me decide that the only way we could fix this is if we had a bunch of starry-eyed millenials go into local-level government right now so that they could hopefully fix everything in twenty or thirty years, by which point the world will have been a Fallout-esque post-nuclear wasteland for 18 or 28 years already anyway so why loving bother

Serf
May 5, 2011

comingafteryouall posted:

Either way people should be going to their meetings and coming up with new ideas about spreading our message. Right wing media might be hard to overcome, but in person interaction can be more effective. Yeah, people are scared of ISIS. But what happens when Trump can't stamp out terrorism? What happens if Sessions tries to go after legal weed? What happens if the economy starts to dip?

The answer to all your questions is "Obama did it"

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Bill Buckner posted:

I also think fascism is good and cool

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Serf posted:

I feel like a lot of this narrative of "economic justice at the expense of social justice" is mostly fake bullshit meant to keep us at each other's throats. There' no reason why you can't push for economic change that will appeal to white voters while at the same time advocating for robust social reforms to benefit the marginalized. In fact, I'd say that social justice is predicated upon economic justice. What's the point of having rights if you have no support structures or money to exercise those rights?

You're right, it absolutely is an artificial division. We can, and should, fight for both. It aggravates me that there are so many democrats, some close to me, that continue to say otherwise.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

typical millennial flipflopper

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Serf posted:

The answer to all your questions is "Obama did it"

Then the Republican government is so weak they can't even fix the mistakes of the past administration.

I remember a whole bunch of "Bush did it" back in the Obama years, and it sure didn't help the Dems keep control of the government.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Serf posted:

you were so close but then you picked one side of the coin anyway, see the problem?????

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

this thread is making me want to run for a local office, or maybe a California democratic assembly delegate, so I can fart into a mic for 90 seconds at the state convention and finally make the democrats relevant again

:whatup: fellow CAdems mailing list recipient. i'm definitely going to give this a shot

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Bill Buckner posted:

this guy only plays wow and attempts bernie trolls, good poo poo

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

loquacius posted:

f we had a bunch of starry-eyed millenials go into local-level government right now

but what if they find my Tumblr full of "down with cis" fanfic and photoshops of Marx with anime eyes

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Serf posted:

To paraphrase a half-remembered post from many pages ago:
The establishment supports a bright future where people of all colours, all sexualities, all genders, all races, and all religions have the right to rest their boots on the necks of the lower classes.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/800778961240412160

the kurds are so fuckin' bombed rip

Serf
May 5, 2011

comingafteryouall posted:

Then the Republican government is so weak they can't even fix the mistakes of the past administration.

I remember a whole bunch of "Bush did it" back in the Obama years, and it sure didn't help the Dems keep control of the government.

"I tell you folks, undoing all this incompetence, and I mean there is a lot of it, Obama was the most corrupt President in history, it is so, so hard. But we're working on it. Believe me, we're working on it. They had 8 years to ruin the country, so we're gonna need 8 years to fix it! Probably more!"

100 degrees Calcium posted:

You're right, it absolutely is an artificial division. We can, and should, fight for both. It aggravates me that there are so many democrats, some close to me, that continue to say otherwise.

The only way forward is to unite. That's a lot to ask of minorities, given the ugly history they've endured in this country, so I figure my time is best spent reaching out to white people and seeing if they can be salvaged.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All I know is I don't think Goldman Sachs hanging a trans pride flag outside their office is gonna cut it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

but what if they find my Tumblr full of "down with cis" fanfic and photoshops of Marx with anime eyes

Thanks to the Internet no one born after 1985 or so can realistically go into office ever

If Lowtax is ever given huge sacks of cash by men in dark glasses in exchange for deleting my account and all of its posts you'll know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

100 degrees Calcium posted:

All I know is I don't think Goldman Sachs hanging a trans pride flag outside their office is gonna cut it.

neither is shaming people who think its progress

• Locked thread